Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sega Monaco GP 1979/1980 - My Remake  (Read 150329 times)

geecab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:15:34 pm
Sega Monaco GP 1979/1980 - My Remake
« on: September 08, 2013, 09:03:33 am »
Hi! Monaco GP has never been emulated properly so I decided to try and make my own version as I am a massive fan of the game. Monaco GP Remake is free, complete, highly configurable, and can be played with keyboard, mouse, joystick or a steering wheel. It runs under windows (Tested on XP/Vista and Windows7 although it may work on other versions) and Linux (Tested on Ubuntu (v14.04.4 and v15.10) and Mint (v17.3) although it may work on other versions. Note. The Linux package contains builds for both 32bit and 64bit Linux). It plays well on my mame driving cabinet, for which I modified an old ps2 mouse to use as a steering wheel. Each time I make a new version, I will update this post so that it contains a link to the latest version of the game :)

-=Latest Version=-

Monaco GP Remake v1.4.6 for Windows
Monaco GP Remake v1.4.6 for Linux

Please be a little prepared as you visit the mediafire site, you might get adverts for other software appear, encoraging you to download something else. Just make sure you only click on the big green 'Download' button near to top right of the page, and the file that you download to your computer is called "mgpr_v1_4_6.zip" (Its about 16MB in size).

Once its downloaded, unzip it, then double click on 'mgpr_launcher.exe', then select a screen resolution and one of the following game modes:

Monaco GP Classic - 100% faithful to the 1979 "Monaco GP" arcade version.
Monaco GP Pro - 100% faithful to the 1980 "Pro Monaco GP" arcade version.
Monaco GP Pursuit - Enhancement of the original arcade version. Includes police cars, new roads, a high score table, racing stats, 3 check points and a goal line finish.
Monaco GP Stunt - Enhancement of the original arcade version.  It a single track, looped. Its starts off easy and gets increasingly more difficult as less time gets awarded with each lap and opponents get faster. Features jumps, new tracks, pit lane (Drive over spanner for extra time), boats and new opponents.

Note that you can also run a specific configuration from command line (like in previous versions), running mpgr.exe using the -cfg switch. For example, if you wanted to run the pro_arcade_1360x768.cfg configuration from command line, you would specify
 mgpr -cfg pro_arcade_1360x768.cfg

All the default configurations are set up for fullscreen and keyboard control (keys are Z=left, X=right, N=Accelerate, M=Gear, 5 or 6 = Coin, 1=Switch between HiScores and AttractMode).
Press the TAB key during any game's attract mode (When "Deposit coin" is flashing at you) to edit the configuration (Change Controls to Mouse, joystick, choose different artwork etc..). Some options (such as display filter, fullscreen and various audio samples and volumes) will require you to restart the game before your new settings will take effect.

-=Obsolete Versions=-

Monaco GP Remake v1.4.5
Monaco GP Remake v1.4.1
Monaco GP Remake v1.3.2
Monaco GP Remake v1.3
Monaco GP Remake v1.2
Monaco GP Remake v1.0 (Also known as 'Monaco GP 2013')

-=Disclaimer=-

'Monaco GP Remake is NOT a SEGA product. 'Monaco GP Remake' is a fan made simulation of SEGA's 'Monaco GP' (1979) arcade game. Making money from 'Monaco GP Remake' in any way is strictly prohibited. The author of 'Monaco GP Remake' has observed due diligence in creating and testing the game, but cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage caused by it.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 04:52:31 pm by geecab »

geecab

• Offline Offline
Re: Sega Monaco GP 1979/1980 - My Remake
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 09:25:59 am »
Monaco GP Remake (v1.4.5) "Classic" game mode:

Monaco GP Remake (v1.4.5) "Pro" game mode:

Monaco GP Remake (v1.4.5) "Pursuit" game mode:

Monaco GP Remake (v1.4.5) "Stunt Park" game mode:

Attract mode comparison between the Monaco GP Remake and the arcade:

Arduino testing - I modified the "scoreboard_reader" source code (Provided in the download package v1.4.5 and newer) to, instead of printing the score information to screen, send the scoreboard information to the Arduino's serial port.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 06:06:12 am by geecab »

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 10:13:44 am »
I've tested it on WinXP, Vista and Windows 7. The slowest PC I've run it successfully on is a Intel Core2Duo 2.2GHz, I haven't tested it on anything slower. Also, similar to mame, you will need to have the original Monaco GP roms (which I can not provide you with) in order to run the game. If you fancy giving it a try you can download v1.0 here:

****EDIT: This version is now obsolete, please see initial post (on page 1) for download links to latest and obsolete versions****

Click on the orange 'Download Now' button to the right of the page and download "monaco_gp_2013_v1_0.zip".

Then-

1. Extract the zip file.

2. Copy the original 1979 or 1980 Monaco GP ROMs into the 'roms' directory.

3. Run mgp2013.exe

You might want to have a read of the release_notes.txt in the zip file to find out the keys and other interesting stuff.

Enjoy!

-=Disclaimer=-
'Monaco GP 2013' is NOT a SEGA product. 'Monaco GP 2013' is a simulation of SEGA's 'Monaco GP' (1979) arcade game. 'Monaco GP 2013' is available to those who legally own a copy of the original arcade game. Making money from 'Monaco GP 2013' in any way is strictly prohibited. 'Monaco GP 2013' has been tested on WinXP, Vista and Windows 7. The author of 'Monaco GP 2013' has observed due diligence in creating and testing the game, but cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage caused by it.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 05:49:08 am by geecab »

Robbbert

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:46:09 am
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 04:05:37 pm »
Thanks for doing this, I will give it a try.

I presume the roms from HBMAME will work.

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 06:23:52 pm »
Cool, just been reading about HBMAME, I didn't know that existed, I shall try it out more when I have a bit of spare time :) About a year ago I tried MisfitMame and was sad to hear no more development was happening on it. I tried Monaco GP at the time and it wasn't really playable, that's what spurred me on to make my simulator.

Anyways, I've just downloaded HBMAME, yep the roms that work with my remake work with HBMAME. One thing to remember, my remake looks for the individual ".bin" files in its 'roms' directory. For HBMAME, you probably had all the Monaco GP roms zipped up into one "monaco.zip" file. If this is the case, you'll need to extract the rom files out of your zip, copy them into the 'roms' directory of my remake, and maybe rename their filenames slightly. Hope that makes sense!

These are the Monaco GP rom filenames that my remake will look for in its 'roms' directory:

"pra125.bin" (or "prb-01.bin")
"pra126.bin" (or "prb-02.bin")
"pra127.bin" (or "prb-13.bin")
"pra128.bin" (or "prb-03.bin")
"pra129.bin"
"pra130.bin" (or "prb-14.bin")
"pra132.bin" (or "prb-15.bin")
"pra140.bin"
"pra141.bin" (or "prb-16.bin")
"pra138.bin" (or "prb-10.bin")
"pra139.bin" (or "prb-11.bin")
"pra133.bin" (or "prb-05.bin")
"pra136.bin" (or "prb-08.bin")
"pra135.bin" (or "prb-07.bin")
"pra134.bin" (or "prb-06.bin")
"pra137.bin" (or "prb-09.bin")

If you run the mgp2013.exe at the command like, its pretty helpful and it will tell you what roms are missing (if any).

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 03:06:20 am by geecab »

Robbbert

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:46:09 am
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 07:50:39 am »
Ok, tried this on my windows 7, with mixed results.

Got the roms, renamed them as required.

Started the game, found that M changed gears but no other controls worked. So, read the instructions, find that the mouse is needed. Try this, car crashes at the start then disappears off the screen, never to return. Hmm.

Next thing to try was setting the controls for the keyboard. This seemed to work much better, and the car stays around. Noticed a few things that were not on the original machine (such as the ending score display).

For a first release this seems pretty good. Not sure if you can fix (or replicate) the mouse problem.

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 03:27:35 pm »
Hi! So it sounds like you got it working fine with keys :) but not with mouse :(

Started the game, found that M changed gears but no other controls worked. So, read the instructions, find that the mouse is needed
Yup, like it says in the release notes its mouse control by default. Mouse 'x' axis to steer, LMB accelerate, RMB change gear, Key '5' or '6' to insert coin.

Try this, car crashes at the start then disappears off the screen, never to return. Hmm
I've tried this, but I can't recreate this on my win7 64bit laptop. No matter how erratic my mouse or even touch pad movements are, the player's car always returns to the correct position.

What happens if you start the game without touching the mouse at all. Does the player "disappears off the screen, never to return", or do you have to move the mouse to make that happen?

You could try slowing down your mouse speed (via the windows control panel) and see if it makes any difference. Maybe try a different mouse if you have one?

Noticed a few things that were not on the original machine (such as the ending score display)
Yup, you can disable the hi-score table in the config.txt file if you rather not see it. It is not possible to disable the ending score / racing stats yet but adding an option for that won't be difficult (You can always skip past it by holding down the '1' key anyways).

Hope this helps!

bosco

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 12, 2020, 01:00:54 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 09:21:47 pm »
Very nice & thank you.  It gives me the "feel" of the original.  A nice bezel and LED simulation would be nice  ;)

One question, is there a way to remove the filtered effect?  I changed the bi-linear filtering  to '0' in the config file but it still looks the same.  I guess I'm in the minority, but I would like it nice and sharp.

Please keep improving it.  It brings back memories for me. :cheers:

Thanks again.

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 10:39:01 am »
Very nice & thank you.  It gives me the "feel" of the original.  A nice bezel and LED simulation would be nice

Thanks bosco! Hearing you say that makes all my efforts seem worthwhile. I'll probably do something about the bezel / LED simulation for the next release as it seems quite an important feature for a few people.

One question, is there a way to remove the filtered effect?  I changed the bi-linear filtering  to '0' in the config file but it still looks the same.  I guess I'm in the minority, but I would like it nice and sharp.
Whoops, yes this is a bug. I'll fix this in the next release.

Please keep improving it.  It brings back memories for me.
Will do. Please keep the ideas how to improve coming in :) I'm thinking for the next release I shall include an configuration option for 'standard' or 'enhanced' gameplay. 'Enhanced' will be what the current version is like (I.e. Pretty much like the original arcade version, but with a high score table, racing stats when your game ends, some extra vehicles, some new tracks, and a 'goal' making the game possible to complete). The 'Standard' version be as close to the arcade version as I can make it (shouldn't be too difficult to remove the extras I added). Might even add a 'Grand Theft Auto' mode where you can shoot and steal other cars and drive the fire engine... Just kidding.. but thinking about it that would be quite cool actually ;)

bosco

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 10:24:43 pm »
Just in case you didn't know.  Zorg has some nice vectors Monaco stuff.    ;)

http://vectorlib.free.fr/MonacoGP/

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 06:08:19 pm »
Background + LED stuff is getting there. I've added a menu (you can see it in the second pic, its a bit rough around the edges at the moment) that lets you move stretch/shrink the position of all the bitmaps around while the game is running. You'll be able to display whatever you want as a background, you'll also be able you change the bitmaps I created for each LED digit if you don't like the ones I made.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 09:14:46 am »
That is cool!

Any plans to support analog 270° PC wheels?

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 03:21:19 pm »
Any plans to support analog 270° PC wheels?

Yes I'd like to add something for that. I don't have a 270 degree wheel though so it might not be right the first time. I guess if I added support for an analogue joystick (and also an option to alter its sensitivity) then you'd be able to get it working with a 270 degree wheel?

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:42:27 am
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 03:40:57 pm »
It would work, yes: a 270° wheel sends it's input via a single turn, linear potentiometer like a joypad axis  ;)

bosco

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 08:05:34 pm »
Looking sweet Geecab.  Keep up the good work.  I look forward to the next release. :applaud:

siastbill1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 14, 2023, 08:14:53 pm
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2013, 10:59:40 pm »
Wow, this is super cool!!!

Noticed this was done in Allegro 5, which means no Dos support (but does support Linux). Ever thought of doing a Linux build?

Keep up the awesome work!!

-Bill

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2013, 06:15:08 pm »
Wow, this is super cool!!!

Noticed this was done in Allegro 5, which means no Dos support (but does support Linux). Ever thought of doing a Linux build?

Keep up the awesome work!!

-Bill

Thanks!

At some point I might try and port to Linux. I must admit, I almost bought a Raspberry pi the other day as I quite fancy getting MonacoGP running on that. I think for now, I'm just going to get the game totally finished on windows before I start thinking about Linux :)

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2013, 06:49:19 pm »
Hi! Just a quick update on my progress and a few questions:

- I've cleaned up the in-game menu, categorized the options (Display, Sound, Gameplay, Control, LEDs). Everything is now pretty much configurable in the game (you shouldn't need to edit the configuration file by hand but you still can if you like). Similar to mame, you'll be able to load a configuration file at the command line, if no configuration file is found one will be created with default settings, and if you change any options using the in-game menu it will be automatically saved when you exit the game.

- I've added 270 degree wheel (joystick) support. It works so that when your wheel is centered, the car will move straight forward, turn the wheel slightly to the left and the car will move continuously slowly to the left, turn the wheel hard right and the car will move continuously quickly to the right, etc.. Playing about with the joystick sensitivity, its quite difficult/challenging to play like this. To feel more 'direct' like the arcade (and more like the way the game plays with mouse), I would like to somehow make the player car move to a fixed to a position on the screen depending on where you are pointing the steering wheel (Thus your wheel centered will always mean the car will be in the center of the road). I can add an option to make it work in this way, but the problem is what to do about the player car starting position after you crash. In the arcade you always start off on right grass verge. I'm not sure what to do about this, maybe I should just add an option for the car to start in the center of the road at the beginning of the game and after you crash.. Any thoughts??

- I was thinking about analogue accelerator pedals the other day. There is no support for them at the moment. You can use only keys, mouse buttons or joystick buttons to accelerate. Just wondered if that was going to cause anyone any problems??

- Last but by no means least, I sent an email to Zorg of http://vectorlib.free.fr/MonacoGP/ and he's happy for me to include his MonacoGP bezel artwork into my next release which is cool and a massive thanks to him for that!! :) I must admit, playing the game with his artwork there really makes such a big difference :)  So I will be putting together a few default configurations in the next release that will have the Bezel+Game+FlashingLEDs all correctly positioned. In-game options will still be present allowing to reposition/resize/change everything that is displayed. I did notice that having the artwork displayed at high screen resolutions does have an impact on performance (my rubbish graphics card might be the reason for this though!). In any case, I shall also include a basic configuration file which will setup up everything very low res with no artwork (same as the current version) if your system can not handle the artwork changes.

:)

bosco

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2013, 08:48:50 pm »
Nice to see progress.  Will the filter effect be fixed with the next release?  It would be nice to be able to turn it off.

Thanks for all your hard work.

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2013, 05:32:46 pm »
Yes will definitely make that filter effect work (or rather not work) in the next release. I reckon in a couple of weeks I'll have the new version ready :)

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2013, 07:02:04 am »
OK! The new version of the Monaco GP Remake (v1.2) is ready and it can be downloaded here:

****EDIT: This version is now obsolete, please see initial post (on page 1) for download links to latest and obsolete versions****

Click on the orange 'Download Now' button to the right of the page and download "mgpr_v1_2.zip".

Please read the release notes after downloading as it describes using the on screen menu and how to load/save configuration files. I've included some example configurations I made so I'd recommend trying a few of these initially as they should give you an idea how artworks can be positioned correctly. For instance, from the command line in the directory where the 'mgpr.exe' resides, try running this "mgpr.exe -cfg example_1024x768.cfg" (Note, you do not need supply a path to the configuration file, my remake expects the location of configuration files to be in its 'cfg' directory). A window should appear with playfield, Bezel & LEDs all correctly positioned and the game should be running in the attract (Deposit coin) mode. You can then hit TAB to view the menu, and use the arrow keys to change various settings. You do not need to 'apply' the changes you make, as soon as you make a change it will take immediate effect and will be saved that way. Having said that, some of the configuration settings (I.e. Window/Fullscreen mode, screen resolution and Filter) will require you to restart my remake before they take effect.

New in v1.2:

- On Screen Menu (Can only be viewed during the attract mode, not during actual gameplay)

- Ability to load/save different configuration files.

- Ability to add Bezel & LED artwork (Everything can be repositioned/resized using the on screen menu)

- New Attract mode sequence
If you wait 10 seconds the road will start scrolling, showing you a sequence of tracks (day, night, wet etc..). I tried to copy the same sequence I observed on a  youtube clip I found. In a addition to this, if you have LED artwork enabled, the LEDs should flash in a nice sequence.

- Joystick support.
I've only tested this with PPJoyMouse program as I don't have a joystick. Seems to work though the game is difficult to play.

- Opponent cars now rebound off the Firetruck in the event of a collision
In another YouTube clip I observed opponent cars rebound off the Firetruck, so I thought my remake had better do the same.

- Bridge section improvements to make it more like the arcade:
   1. The bridge is thinner (it was too easy to overtake on the outside previously).
   2. Opponent cars X position alternate from being fixed in one position (for about 2 seconds), to weaving left&right (for 1 second).
   3. After the player car crashes it is placed floating above the water to the right of the bridge. They are then given 5 seconds grace period to get back on the track.

- Fixed the Filter

I think that is pretty much everything. There is still lots I plan to do which I'll enjoy looking into over Xmas!

Hope you enjoy it!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 05:49:48 am by geecab »

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:42:27 am
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2013, 04:09:10 am »
Thanks for sharing   :woot

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2013, 07:10:45 pm »
Thanks for sharing   :woot

No worries, glad you're liking it  :)

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2013, 07:38:22 pm »
Hopefully quite soon I'll be adding a ProMonacoGP option that will allow for slightly different scoring and a few more LEDs. Thought I'd have a go and making the Bezel artwork. I took Zorg's original MonacoGP bezel as a starting point.  Unfortunately, I haven't got a hi-res scan of the ProMonacoGP bezel, but I did find an pretty good photo of it on ebay that I've tried to copy. I couldn't find perfect font matches and I'm not sure exactly what that trophy&wreath symbol should look like so was forced to use a bit of imagination here and there. If any knows of better matches, it would great if you could let me know :) Anyways, thought I'd post a low-res copy of how it looks so far:

xfassa

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2021, 07:51:20 pm
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2013, 12:37:56 pm »
WOW!  You did an outstanding job on this program.  Thank you very much.  I have a Monaco GP cabaret that kind of works (only displays a few screens).  I was looking to convert it to a Monaco GP simulator using the the Sega Saturn version.  However, your version is much better (especially how the competitor cars move on the track).  My plan is to "gut" the cabaret and install a computer with your Monaco GP. 

Once again, I can't thank you enough for your efforts.  Job well done!!!

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2013, 05:30:48 pm »
WOW!  You did an outstanding job on this program.  Thank you very much.  I have a Monaco GP cabaret that kind of works (only displays a few screens).  I was looking to convert it to a Monaco GP simulator using the the Sega Saturn version.  However, your version is much better (especially how the competitor cars move on the track).  My plan is to "gut" the cabaret and install a computer with your Monaco GP. 

Once again, I can't thank you enough for your efforts.  Job well done!!!

Thanks xfassa!

Its really great that you're planning on putting the remake in your Cab! I am honored  :) Please please post loads of pictures of your progress as I would be absolutely fascinated to see them! I have to say though, I'd strongly recommend keeping hold of everything you strip from the cab as it doesn't sound like there is too much wrong with it, you'd probably be able to resurrect it all at some point in the future!

Just been thinking about those LED displays on your cab. I have no idea how to do it, but I wonder if there is a simple way to hook up the LEDs to my remake somehow... I'll have a think about it some more if that's something that appeals to you??

Its very reassuring to know a MonacoGP cab owner such as yourself likes the competitor cars movement  :)  Together with what I remember from playing it countless times in the arcade, I think I've watched every youtube clip running MonacoGP to try and get the distribution/movement about right. I'm still not 100% happy with it, but that is just the way I am  ;)

Once again, thanks for posting!

xfassa

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2013, 10:08:48 pm »
I've got a couple pinball restorations going on but I plan to squeeze in some Monaco GP work along the way.  I will provide some pics to document the progress.

I'm not quite sure how to display the hi-scores, timer, etc on the upper marquee.  I was thinking about using another monitor (extended display) to replace the entire marquee .  That way it could display an image of the marquee and allow the scores, timer, etc to be displayed too.  Just an idea....

As for the controller, I plan to connect a SlikStik Tornado spinner (http://na.suzohapp.com/amusement_products/arcade_game_parts/95-2657-00) to the steering wheel.  I have one of these spinners on my MAME cabinet.  I tested your Monaco GP with the spinner and it works GREAT!.

I'm not sure my "guts" are worth saving.  The game went from working to just a few screens working.  The board repairs are too complex for me to troubleshoot.  Even if I get it working, Monaco GP is notorious for breaking down.  I am very thankful for your simulator.  Honestly, it may be more fun than the original.  I really like your idea of an original and enhanced version too.  If you port to Linux, even better.  Anyway, keep up the excellent work.  You have brought back some excellent childhood memories.  Thank you.

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2013, 03:47:06 pm »
I was thinking about your dual monitor idea too. Either replacing the entire marquee, or if it was correct size maybe you could place it behind the marquee to use it as both a backlight and to display the scores. I'll find about a bit more about dual monitor support and Allegro (The graphics library I use) as I'm interested in this now.

Trust me, your MonacoGP guts are worth saving! Please don't throw them away, but if you must then please feel free to throw them in my direction as I would happily spend ages trying to get them back into life  :)

Thanks again for the kind words about the remake, I'll be working on it some more over Xmas so any modifications/enhancements you'd like to see in the next version just let me know!

Good luck with your pinball and MonacoGP restorations!

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2013, 04:01:36 pm »
geecab, did you ever hear back from the guy who owned the Pro Monaco GP?

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2013, 04:37:18 pm »
Nothing yet.  I couldn't find a direct email address on "davesgameroom.com", but found a link to his company website (digitalherogames.com), still no direct email but found a "contact us" section that allows you to fill out a form and send a message. So I filled that form out and sent it. That was a couple of weeks ago..

Just had another look at digitalherogames.com, went to their facebook page and found Dave is on facebook, so I'm going to request the guy as a friend and send him a message (Just done this).

BTW. Anyone else who can help unravel the mystery of the ProMonacoGP bezel (see this topic -> http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=135783.0 ) it would be most appreciated  :)

« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 05:09:54 pm by geecab »

bosco

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2014, 09:38:49 pm »
Thanks for the improvements.  Can you make it where you can just play full screen without having to manually adjust the playfield position? 

I never really understood the whole x y thing.  What  would my full screen settings be if my monitor is 1600 x 900?  Is it different if I want to add the bezel overlay in  full screen ?

Please keep up the good work  :applaud:

Thanks Geecab

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2014, 05:16:19 pm »
Hi bosco!

>>Can you make it where you can just play full screen without having to manually adjust the playfield position?

Can you try the "example_1360x768_nofilter.cfg" configuration by running this at the command line:

mgpr.exe -cfg example_1360x768_nofilter.cfg

Then, while its running, go into the Display Options, then set Window to NO. Then exit the program, and restart). Can you let me know if that looks ok?

>>Is it different if I want to add the bezel overlay in  full screen ?

Can you try the "example_1360x768.cfg" configuration by running this at the command line:

mgpr.exe -cfg example_1360x768.cfg

Then, while its running, go into the Display Options, then set Window to NO. Then exit the program, and restart). Can you let me know if that looks ok?

>>I never really understood the whole x y thing.

While the game is running, go into the menu and try changing the playfield_x and playfield_y values (with the arrow keys) and see how that effects the position of the playfield.

>>What  would my full screen settings be if my monitor is 1600 x 900?

As 1600 x 900 is a 16:9 ratio, and the 1360 x 768 is also a 16:9 ratio, I think the example configurations for 1360x768 should look ok (those configurations look pretty good on my 1920 x 1080 screen (incidentally also 16:9 ratio)).

Hope this helps  :)

bosco

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2014, 04:52:21 pm »
My apologies Geecab.  I never realized that there was an internal adjustments with the tab button.  I thought you had to manually alter the cfg file.  I got it working perfect.  Thanks for responding and thanks for you hard work :applaud:

xfassa

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2014, 08:16:18 pm »
I was thinking about your dual monitor idea too. Either replacing the entire marquee, or if it was correct size maybe you could place it behind the marquee to use it as both a backlight and to display the scores. I'll find about a bit more about dual monitor support and Allegro (The graphics library I use) as I'm interested in this now.

Trust me, your MonacoGP guts are worth saving! Please don't throw them away, but if you must then please feel free to throw them in my direction as I would happily spend ages trying to get them back into life  :)

Thanks again for the kind words about the remake, I'll be working on it some more over Xmas so any modifications/enhancements you'd like to see in the next version just let me know!

Good luck with your pinball and MonacoGP restorations!

Geecab - Well the journey has finally begun.  I have my Monaco GP cabaret torn down.  I am currently converting the wheel, shifter, and foot pedal over to modern electronics.  Specifically, I am using a Suzo-Happ usb spinner board (Part # 95-2780-00) to read the original encoder for the car movement.  Also, I am using the Ultimarc usb I-PAC for the shifter, foot pedal, coin slots, and start game play.  Ideally, the foot pedal should be a potentiometer but my I-PAC only handles digital (would need to get an A-PAC for analog).  My foot is typically full on the pedal anyway.  ;-)

As for the monitor......still figuring that part out.  For now, I plan to get it working with the single display using the original tube monitor.  It would be nice to have the LED scores, timer, etc working but not a mandatory requirement right now.

As for the software, it is really p*ssing me off (in a good way).  It is waaaaay more challenging than the original.  Your simulator continues to get me to play "just one more game".  Well done!  With that said, I was wondering if you could add a few features.  Would it be possible to minimize the time the car is "paralyzed" after hitting water puddles on the road?  or at least minimize the number of water puddles that appear on the road?  Honestly, it would be great if these were all user adjustable options.

Also, the original didn't encounter the bridge until after the extended session started.  Again, you have done an outstanding job creating this simulator.  Very well done.  ;-)

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2014, 11:15:01 pm »
Finally found the needed files (wasnt easy) to play this.   After a few name issues resolved (good thing I know dos a bit).. I finally got it started.   After a brief play, AVG went bonkers and deleted it.  (This was the 1st link version)

I loaded v2 and it plays without AVG going ape.  However, I cant figure out the Config settings, because the instructions are missing the command properties.  I tried to put Mouse as the steering device, but to no avail.  Tried mouse1.  Nothing.

Defaults to a window?  Why?

I also agree that the puddle seems to effect the car way too long.

Also, was analog pedal support added?   And can you select a full axis travel, rather than half axis?
As I cant see playing this game without analog pedal support.  Thats almost as bad as playing the game with keyboard steering...

And finally, if its hooked up to a geared optical sensor, can mouse resolution be adjusted?   As it stands, it seems the mouse is one to one.  As far as I remember, In the arcade, you had to spin the wheel quite a few rotations to get the car to move from one side of the road to the other.

Appreciate the efforts,
 Thanks

xfassa

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2014, 09:45:09 pm »
As far as I remember, In the arcade, you had to spin the wheel quite a few rotations to get the car to move from one side of the road to the other.

On my original Monaco GP, I can move the car side to side without having to spin the wheel.  If the car is located in the center of the screen, a quarter turn in each direction is enough to move the car side to side.

As for the foot pedal, analog is ideal.  However, once you get used to the on/off acceleration/deceleration, you will find it is works pretty well.  Other than the bridge, there aren't many times you need to hold the accelerator at a slower speed.  At least, that is my experience.  :-)

Again, pretty amazing simulator that keeps bringing me back to play.  Geecab - How about a Monaco GP construction kit that allows users to program the track? 

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2014, 06:53:29 am »
I think the problem is that you shouldnt rely on a computer formula to reduce speed or gain it.  That should be down to the game programming, and the persons control.

There are many times when reducing speed is a good idea, such as when on Ice (Which I believe is more dangerous on the original),  as well as when there are a number of cars on the screen.. that you are unsure of their behavior... and or are about to cross your path.   Sometimes, you just need to slow down a hair, rather than a full on brake.  Sometimes a harsh speed drop is needed.  It again, should be up to the user..   and also, I dont see why you would make a reamake of a game without its proper analog controls.   All the remakes with Spy Hunter, are completely unplayable... and they are by the original company.  Its a sad joke.

I especially cant see replacing an original, without at very least, having all the controls be proper.

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2014, 01:41:44 pm »
Geecab - Well the journey has finally begun.  I have my Monaco GP cabaret torn down.  I am currently converting the wheel, shifter, and foot pedal over to modern electronics.  Specifically, I am using a Suzo-Happ usb spinner board (Part # 95-2780-00) to read the original encoder for the car movement.  Also, I am using the Ultimarc usb I-PAC for the shifter, foot pedal, coin slots, and start game play.  Ideally, the foot pedal should be a potentiometer but my I-PAC only handles digital (would need to get an A-PAC for analog).  My foot is typically full on the pedal anyway.  ;-)

As for the monitor......still figuring that part out.  For now, I plan to get it working with the single display using the original tube monitor.  It would be nice to have the LED scores, timer, etc working but not a mandatory requirement right now.

As for the software, it is really p*ssing me off (in a good way).  It is waaaaay more challenging than the original.  Your simulator continues to get me to play "just one more game".  Well done!  With that said, I was wondering if you could add a few features.  Would it be possible to minimize the time the car is "paralyzed" after hitting water puddles on the road?  or at least minimize the number of water puddles that appear on the road?  Honestly, it would be great if these were all user adjustable options.

Cool, sounds like its all going well xfassa! I must confess, I never bothered with analog pedal support because my driving cab only has microswitched pedals. I'm pretty sure I'll be adding analog pedal support in the next version anyways.

Totally agree with you regarding the puddle paralyze time. I'll put some options for that in the next version. Just been watching a youtube clip to see if I can work out just what actually happened when you hit a puddle. This clip in particular, the car hits a puddle at time 0:11 and again at 0:41, but apart from the tire squeak noise, the player seems in total control of the car and the speed of the car doesn't change (sounds as if it keeps accelerating)...

So I'm just wondering what the actual disadvantage was regarding hitting a puddle on the arcade version? Since you own an original machine, I was hoping you might be able to remember?

Also, the original didn't encounter the bridge until after the extended session started.
Geecab - How about a Monaco GP construction kit that allows users to program the track? 

Agreed, the bridge should only appear during extended play, I must sort that in the next version. And yes I think it would be cool to add a construction kit / track editor. In my source code, the track type, length, number of cars etc.. are all stored in a big table. Probably the easiest solution for me is if I read that table from a txt file when you start the game, and you could edit that txt file however you choose  :)

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2014, 02:09:22 pm »
After a brief play, AVG went bonkers and deleted it.  (This was the 1st link version) I loaded v2 and it plays without AVG going ape.

Hi Xiauo2! That's a shame, did AVG give you a reason why it delete it? I can personally vow that Norton, Avira and ESET NOD32 are all fine with both links.

However, I cant figure out the Config settings, because the instructions are missing the command properties.  I tried to put Mouse as the steering device, but to no avail.  Tried mouse1.  Nothing.
"Mouse" and "mouse1", won't work. It needs to be something like "mouse axis x". Its best you use the in-game menu to set up your controls (so that you can see what is available). Pressing 'TAB' whilst the game is running in attract mode, then using the arrow keys navigate to the CONTROL sub menu, and change STEERING_DEVICE to a mouse axis of your choice.

Defaults to a window?  Why?
I experienced a strange display problem when running the game on an really old PC in full screen mode that didn't happen when running the game in windowed mode. I fixed the problem, but figured to give the game the most chance of success of running first time on every ones video hardware the default should probably be best left as windowed.

Also, was analog pedal support added?
Not yet, I'll add it in the next version.

Thanks for giving it a try  :)

xfassa

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2014, 07:49:49 am »
So I'm just wondering what the actual disadvantage was regarding hitting a puddle on the arcade version? Since you own an original machine, I was hoping you might be able to remember?

I remember just a momentary delay when hitting a puddle.  I will hook my machine back up this weekend to check it out.

The game is quite fun now that I have the wheel, pedal, and shifter.  I look forward to your updates.  Thanks so much for taking the time to make this simulator.  ;-)