Main > Driving & Racing Cabinets

Sega Monaco GP 1979/1980 - My Remake

<< < (78/101) > >>

geecab:
Hi GPForverer2024!

Just a quick update, I've done quite a few code changes:
    Added dashboard indicator artworks for when driving on night roads, driving on ice roads, and when the car is damaged.
    Added a speedo gauge artwork.
    Added InsertCoin artwork (That flashes when you see 'Deposit Coin' displayed on the playfield).
    Ability to set 2 bezels artworks: A Primary Bezel (Showing, say, shows the bezel fully backlit), and a secondary bezel (Showing, say, the bezel with its backlight off).
    A new 'bezel mode' option that configures how the game should switch between bezels (Either, Fixed on Primary bezel (default), Switch to Primary bezel when inplay, Switch to Primary bezel when inplay with initial flicker etc...).
    All of the above is fully importable/exportable.
    I've fixed the police chase artwork lights so they work on import mode.
    I've fixed a bug with the Pro score LEDs not working when running the Stunt and Pursuit Modes.
    I've fixed the revcounter so that you don't have to have it enabled on the export mode to be able to see it on the import mode (Just a minor thing).

As you are aware, at the moment there is just a very simple scoreboard import configuration with the package.
I'm hoping that soon (Say in about a week), I will have finished some new scoreboard higher-res artworks that demonstrate this stuff working and add those as part of the package too :)

GPForverer2024:
Hi GEECAB!

Thank you for the debrief which looks so good!!

Of course really looking forward to testing this update

Congratulations and thank you  :)

xfassa:
After being away from this project for several years, I was thrilled to see it is still being developed.  Amazing stuff Geecab!  Nice to see others sharing their projects too.  I did a complete overhaul on my mini (new artwork, deep cleaning of cabinet/hardware, and updated computer).  I hope share some pics soon.

As I jump back into this project, I am revisiting an issue that I was never able to resolve.  Randomly, while steering left or right, the car will abruptly jump in the direction you turn.  Its almost like the wheel isn't registering and all of a sudden catches up and shoots the car off the road.  I will provide some video soon to better explain.  Just curious if anyone else has seen this problem.  I have attached my steering wheel to at least 5 different brands of spinner knobs, everyone does the same thing.   It's really odd....

I was going to test on my linux machine but I cant figure out how to get the dual displays (game and scoreboard).  I was hoping to see if it was a windows thing.  Looking forward to the the latest linux release.  :-)

All that said, this is just an amazing remake that lets me revisit one of my childhood favorites.  I can't thank you enough Geecab.

geecab:

--- Quote from: xfassa on May 31, 2024, 08:55:45 pm ---After being away from this project for several years, I was thrilled to see it is still being developed.  Amazing stuff Geecab!  Nice to see others sharing their projects too.  I did a complete overhaul on my mini (new artwork, deep cleaning of cabinet/hardware, and updated computer).  I hope share some pics soon.

As I jump back into this project, I am revisiting an issue that I was never able to resolve.  Randomly, while steering left or right, the car will abruptly jump in the direction you turn.  Its almost like the wheel isn't registering and all of a sudden catches up and shoots the car off the road.  I will provide some video soon to better explain.  Just curious if anyone else has seen this problem.  I have attached my steering wheel to at least 5 different brands of spinner knobs, everyone does the same thing.   It's really odd....

I was going to test on my linux machine but I cant figure out how to get the dual displays (game and scoreboard).  I was hoping to see if it was a windows thing.  Looking forward to the the latest linux release.  :-)

All that said, this is just an amazing remake that lets me revisit one of my childhood favorites.  I can't thank you enough Geecab.

--- End quote ---

Hi xfassa!

Great to here from you again!

That abrupt Jumping issue you describe sounds strange. I have fixed an issue recently where, if you hit a puddle whilst making a sudden turn, you would see the car 'teleport' from position to another. Although the teleport distance I was seeing was a couple of cars widths (Nothing drastic like shooting off the road). Could this be the same thing you are seeing??

The dual display situation has continued to be a headache. I added some new options in the past that should have made things easier (New full screen modes and a new video adaptor ID setting), but since added them, GPForverer2024 and myself have observed they just don't do the job. The graphics library I use to build MGPr with just doesn't allow me to display 2 instances of the game in true fullscreen mode, on 2 different monitors.

The only reliable way to get dual displays working, is to have both MGPr instances set to WINDOW mode, and have these windows sized and positioned in such a way that they appear as being in fullscreen on the desired monitor.

I remember in the past, for your setup, we worked around a couple of issues:
 1. It was not possible to set the MGPr scoreboard window dimensions to be the same size of the screen you wanted to display it on (MGPr only allowed you to choose resolutions offered by the OS, and for some reason your USB screen resolution did not show up). 
 2. Running one big MGPr scoreboard instance impacted CPU usage badly, so you were forced to have 2 small MGPr scoreboard instances that we managed to join together.

Now, I've recently made some changes which should help you.
 1. When configured for WINDOW mode, you can now set MGPr's resolution setting to whatever dimensions you want and it will be honoured (You'll need to manually edit the config file though).
 2. I noticed that reducing the refresh rate (For which there is now a configuration option for) of the MGPr scoreboard instance drastically improves CPU. By default the refresh rate is 50FPS. MGPr scoreboard instances don't really need to be updated at 50FPS. Running the MGPr scoreboard instance at, say, 25FPS looks just at good and allows the MGPr game instance to run at 50FPS just fine.

I've been making some improvements to the scoreboard artworks recently. I wanted to create some for the Stunt Park and Pursuit modes, but I wasn't happy with my attempts (and took a time-out from working on them, waiting for some inspiration, which I'm still waiting for lol!). Anyways, I was looking at what I've done up to this point and actually, I think its pretty good. So, I think I might do a new release very soon :)

geecab:
Thought I'd upload a quick demo of the new scoreboard artworks.

Demonstrates 2 instances of MGPr running simultaneously and sharing scoreboard information. The instance on the left is the Game instance (Writing scoreboard information), the instance on the right is the Scoreboard instance (Reading scoreboard information). The video captures the Classic 1979 Monaco GP game mode, the 1980 Pro Monaco GP game mode and finally the Stunt Park game mode being played. There are a few extras I've added to the scoreboard (It lights up when game is in play, rev & speedo counter, new dashboard indicator lights). All can be disabled if it's not to your taste. The idea is that if you have 2 monitors, you could display the game on one monitor and the scoreboard on the other.

Monaco GP Remake - v1.5.0 - Teaser Trailer 5 - Dual-Screen Scoreboard Artwork

:)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version