Main > Driving & Racing Cabinets

Sega Monaco GP 1979/1980 - My Remake

(1/78) > >>

geecab:
Hi! Monaco GP has never been emulated properly so I decided to try and make my own version as I am a massive fan of the game. Monaco GP Remake is free, complete, highly configurable, and can be played with keyboard, mouse, joystick or a steering wheel. It runs under windows (Tested on XP/Vista and Windows7 although it may work on other versions) and Linux (Tested on Ubuntu (v14.04.4 and v15.10) and Mint (v17.3) although it may work on other versions. Note. The Linux package contains builds for both 32bit and 64bit Linux). It plays well on my mame driving cabinet, for which I modified an old ps2 mouse to use as a steering wheel. Each time I make a new version, I will update this post so that it contains a link to the latest version of the game :)

-=Latest Version=-

Monaco GP Remake v1.4.6 for Windows
Monaco GP Remake v1.4.6 for Linux

Please be a little prepared as you visit the mediafire site, you might get adverts for other software appear, encoraging you to download something else. Just make sure you only click on the big green 'Download' button near to top right of the page, and the file that you download to your computer is called "mgpr_v1_4_6.zip" (Its about 16MB in size).

Once its downloaded, unzip it, then double click on 'mgpr_launcher.exe', then select a screen resolution and one of the following game modes:

Monaco GP Classic - 100% faithful to the 1979 "Monaco GP" arcade version.
Monaco GP Pro - 100% faithful to the 1980 "Pro Monaco GP" arcade version.
Monaco GP Pursuit - Enhancement of the original arcade version. Includes police cars, new roads, a high score table, racing stats, 3 check points and a goal line finish.
Monaco GP Stunt - Enhancement of the original arcade version.  It a single track, looped. Its starts off easy and gets increasingly more difficult as less time gets awarded with each lap and opponents get faster. Features jumps, new tracks, pit lane (Drive over spanner for extra time), boats and new opponents.

Note that you can also run a specific configuration from command line (like in previous versions), running mpgr.exe using the -cfg switch. For example, if you wanted to run the pro_arcade_1360x768.cfg configuration from command line, you would specify
 mgpr -cfg pro_arcade_1360x768.cfg

All the default configurations are set up for fullscreen and keyboard control (keys are Z=left, X=right, N=Accelerate, M=Gear, 5 or 6 = Coin, 1=Switch between HiScores and AttractMode).
Press the TAB key during any game's attract mode (When "Deposit coin" is flashing at you) to edit the configuration (Change Controls to Mouse, joystick, choose different artwork etc..). Some options (such as display filter, fullscreen and various audio samples and volumes) will require you to restart the game before your new settings will take effect.

-=Obsolete Versions=-

Monaco GP Remake v1.4.5
Monaco GP Remake v1.4.1
Monaco GP Remake v1.3.2
Monaco GP Remake v1.3
Monaco GP Remake v1.2
Monaco GP Remake v1.0 (Also known as 'Monaco GP 2013')

-=Disclaimer=-

'Monaco GP Remake is NOT a SEGA product. 'Monaco GP Remake' is a fan made simulation of SEGA's 'Monaco GP' (1979) arcade game. Making money from 'Monaco GP Remake' in any way is strictly prohibited. The author of 'Monaco GP Remake' has observed due diligence in creating and testing the game, but cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage caused by it.

geecab:
Monaco GP Remake (v1.4.5) "Classic" game mode:

Monaco GP Remake (v1.4.5) "Pro" game mode:

Monaco GP Remake (v1.4.5) "Pursuit" game mode:

Monaco GP Remake (v1.4.5) "Stunt Park" game mode:

Attract mode comparison between the Monaco GP Remake and the arcade:

Arduino testing - I modified the "scoreboard_reader" source code (Provided in the download package v1.4.5 and newer) to, instead of printing the score information to screen, send the scoreboard information to the Arduino's serial port.

geecab:
I've tested it on WinXP, Vista and Windows 7. The slowest PC I've run it successfully on is a Intel Core2Duo 2.2GHz, I haven't tested it on anything slower. Also, similar to mame, you will need to have the original Monaco GP roms (which I can not provide you with) in order to run the game. If you fancy giving it a try you can download v1.0 here:

****EDIT: This version is now obsolete, please see initial post (on page 1) for download links to latest and obsolete versions****

Click on the orange 'Download Now' button to the right of the page and download "monaco_gp_2013_v1_0.zip".

Then-

1. Extract the zip file.

2. Copy the original 1979 or 1980 Monaco GP ROMs into the 'roms' directory.

3. Run mgp2013.exe

You might want to have a read of the release_notes.txt in the zip file to find out the keys and other interesting stuff.

Enjoy!

-=Disclaimer=-
'Monaco GP 2013' is NOT a SEGA product. 'Monaco GP 2013' is a simulation of SEGA's 'Monaco GP' (1979) arcade game. 'Monaco GP 2013' is available to those who legally own a copy of the original arcade game. Making money from 'Monaco GP 2013' in any way is strictly prohibited. 'Monaco GP 2013' has been tested on WinXP, Vista and Windows 7. The author of 'Monaco GP 2013' has observed due diligence in creating and testing the game, but cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage caused by it.

Robbbert:
Thanks for doing this, I will give it a try.

I presume the roms from HBMAME will work.

geecab:
Cool, just been reading about HBMAME, I didn't know that existed, I shall try it out more when I have a bit of spare time :) About a year ago I tried MisfitMame and was sad to hear no more development was happening on it. I tried Monaco GP at the time and it wasn't really playable, that's what spurred me on to make my simulator.

Anyways, I've just downloaded HBMAME, yep the roms that work with my remake work with HBMAME. One thing to remember, my remake looks for the individual ".bin" files in its 'roms' directory. For HBMAME, you probably had all the Monaco GP roms zipped up into one "monaco.zip" file. If this is the case, you'll need to extract the rom files out of your zip, copy them into the 'roms' directory of my remake, and maybe rename their filenames slightly. Hope that makes sense!

These are the Monaco GP rom filenames that my remake will look for in its 'roms' directory:

"pra125.bin" (or "prb-01.bin")
"pra126.bin" (or "prb-02.bin")
"pra127.bin" (or "prb-13.bin")
"pra128.bin" (or "prb-03.bin")
"pra129.bin"
"pra130.bin" (or "prb-14.bin")
"pra132.bin" (or "prb-15.bin")
"pra140.bin"
"pra141.bin" (or "prb-16.bin")
"pra138.bin" (or "prb-10.bin")
"pra139.bin" (or "prb-11.bin")
"pra133.bin" (or "prb-05.bin")
"pra136.bin" (or "prb-08.bin")
"pra135.bin" (or "prb-07.bin")
"pra134.bin" (or "prb-06.bin")
"pra137.bin" (or "prb-09.bin")

If you run the mgp2013.exe at the command like, its pretty helpful and it will tell you what roms are missing (if any).

Hope this helps!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version