Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Building My First Arcade Cabinet! A Few Questions.  (Read 3169 times)

spike32

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2020, 11:18:31 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Building My First Arcade Cabinet! A Few Questions.
« on: September 02, 2013, 11:31:56 pm »
Hi, I am building my first arcade cabinet and could use a bit of help before purchasing the components.

I am not going to just ask questions that have been answered (hopefully), I have done a lot of research on the subject. I am going to get my equipment from groovygamegear.com as Ultimarc uses DHL and duty to Canada is going to be ridiculous.

Anyways, what I have in my cart so far is:

2 SpitFire QD™ Quick-Connect Arcade Stick (upgraded to Sanwa Octagonal)
Player 1 and 2 pushbuttons
RED Female Quick Disconnects .187 - 25 Pack - Fully Insulated
12 pushbuttons for players 1 and 2
pushbuttons for pause, enter, menu, turn on/off, and exit
Groovy-TB 3" Trackball
GP-Wiz40 MAX USB Controls Input Interface with Rotary Support

Do I need items such as: Control Panel Clamp Set, Joystick Mounting Kit - No Visible Hardware    Joystick Mounting Kit - No Visible Hardware, and EZ-Lights™ Color Coded Wire Harness for Lighted Buttons?
Do I need to order a power supply like this?: http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=93&products_id=364

As for the pc I plan to use a Raspberry PI for now, until I get an actual computer in there. Is there anything else I am missing, any mounting screws, or cables, or anything else?

Thanks.

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
Re: Building My First Arcade Cabinet! A Few Questions.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 01:19:21 am »
Dont discount Ultimarc because of DHL.   I have ordered from Ultimarc to Canada and there has only been one extra duty charge and it was less then ten dollars.  I do not know where you got the idea that their duty to Canada was excessive.   If anything UPS charges from the US to Canada are excessive.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:12:01 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 01:22:56 am »
Welcome aboard, Spike32.

I am going to get my equipment from groovygamegear.com as Ultimarc uses DHL and duty to Canada is going to be ridiculous.
Another option is ArcadeEmulator.net run by Divemaster127.

He carries both Ultimarc and Happ products and ships to Canadian customers like SgtSlaughter.
Just wanted to give some positive feedback for my order. Shipping came really quick to Canada, and no duty & luckily no tax.  I would recommend to anyone thinking of ordering.

Anyways, what I have in my cart so far is:

2 SpitFire QD™ Quick-Connect Arcade Stick (upgraded to Sanwa Octagonal)
Player 1 and 2 pushbuttons
RED Female Quick Disconnects .187 - 25 Pack - Fully Insulated
12 pushbuttons for players 1 and 2
pushbuttons for pause, enter, menu, turn on/off, and exit
Groovy-TB 3" Trackball
GP-Wiz40 MAX USB Controls Input Interface with Rotary Support
Are you getting an Opti-Wiz encoder to go with the trackball?
(The "Rotary" on the GP-Wiz40 is for rotary joysticks, not trackballs.)

Do you have stranded wire (not solid) to go with the QDs? (BTW Randy offers pre-fab wiring as an option with his encoders)

Do I need items such as: Control Panel Clamp Set
How are you mounting your CP?

Joystick Mounting Kit - No Visible Hardware
Do you want visible carriage bolt heads on your panel or not?
(Don't even think about using wood screws into MDF to hold a joystick, they will fail -- these inserts are a vastly superior option)

EZ-Lights™ Color Coded Wire Harness for Lighted Buttons?
Are the buttons you want single color LED buttons like the SpectraLites?

RGB LED buttons need different wiring and almost always require a controller, too.

Do I need to order a power supply like this?: http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=93&products_id=364
What do you plan on powering with that?

For LED buttons, you can use a molex or (maybe) USB cable for power.

As for the pc I plan to use a Raspberry PI for now, until I get an actual computer in there. Is there anything else I am missing, any mounting screws, or cables, or anything else?
A Craigslist computer will probably give you more horsepower and better LED power options.

I'm sure there are other bits and pieces you will need, but we'll need more details to know for certain.

Scott
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 01:24:35 am by PL1 »

spike32

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 01:50:21 am »

Are you getting an Opti-Wiz encoder to go with the trackball?
(The "Rotary" on the GP-Wiz40 is for rotary joysticks, not trackballs.)

Ah, thanks, did not know that.

Do you have stranded wire (not solid) to go with the QDs? (BTW Randy offers pre-fab wiring as an option with his encoders)

Stranded Cat5 cable

How are you mounting your CP?

I'm assuming I do need that for mounting then. Thought so.

Do you want visible carriage bolt heads on your panel or not?
(Don't even think about using wood screws into MDF to hold a joystick, they will fail -- these inserts are a vastly superior option)

Will get as well.

Are the buttons you want single color LED buttons like the SpectraLites?
No, standard buttons, so I guess not.

What do you plan on powering with that?

For LED buttons, you can use a molex or (maybe) USB cable for power.

I'll take that as I don't need the power supply

A Craigslist computer will probably give you more horsepower and better LED power options.

Once I get things running I'll be switching to a computer right away, just don't want to spend the money and find out this plan is going to fail.

I'm sure there are other bits and pieces you will need, but we'll need more details to know for certain.

Scott

Thanks for the quick replies and site suggestions guys! I didn't realize groovygamegear uses UPS, I'm trying to find a site that ships USPS to Canada.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 01:52:15 am by spike32 »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:12:01 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 03:14:29 am »
Stranded Cat5 cable

Blue QDs are for 16-14 AWG, Red QDs are for 22-16 AWG.

Consider using different wire since 30 AWG (commonly used in Cat5) is harder to crimp effectively, harder to strip without damaging strands, and more likely to break than the commonly used 22 - 24 AWG.

The prefab wiring can save you a LOT of time, effort, and frustration -- especially on daisy-chain grounds,

Once I get things running I'll be switching to a computer right away, just don't want to spend the money and find out this plan is going to fail.
Skip the RaspPi and be confident -- we'll help you work out any troubles you encounter.   ;D

Thanks for the quick replies and site suggestions guys! I didn't realize groovygamegear uses UPS, I'm trying to find a site that ships USPS to Canada.
BobA was warning about UPS charges in general, not saying that GGG uses them.

GGG shipped all my orders via USPS, not UPS.

Randy already knows to use USPS for Canadian orders -- your order should fit into a large flat rate box.  :cheers:

SgtSlaughter also ordered from Randy and left his feedback here.

Scott
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 03:30:31 am by PL1 »

ppv

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2020, 03:08:56 pm
  • The cheap@ss gamer
Re: Re: Building My First Arcade Cabinet! A Few Questions.
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 05:29:22 am »
You could also try http://retroactivearcade.ca/store/ and http://www.theplaydiumstore.com/Parts_Amusement_Game_Industry_s/2063.htm both based in canada. I ordered my parts from retro, for me it was cheaper.
Doing arcades, the cheap@ss way!
First Project : ttp://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,151071.0.html
Next one : The Token Muncher [urlhttp://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,135417.0.html[/url]

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 07:42:34 am »
Dont discount Ultimarc because of DHL.   I have ordered from Ultimarc to Canada and there has only been one extra duty charge and it was less then ten dollars.  I do not know where you got the idea that their duty to Canada was excessive.   If anything UPS charges from the US to Canada are excessive.

+1

I'm in Canada and have ordered from Ultimarc a couple of times without any excessive charges.

spike32

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 07:05:56 pm »
Thanks all, you guys seriously rock! Taking all suggestions in account here.

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2023, 01:46:12 pm
  • Can u guess what game this image is from?
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 07:16:54 pm »
No spinner?
"Godzilla is a warning. A warning to each and every one of us. When mankind falls into conflict with nature, monsters are born."
Professor Hayashida

spike32

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 08:28:00 pm »
No spinner?

Maybe in the future. I don't think many games I play will use the spinner though.

spike32

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 07:25:05 pm »
Hey guys, the arcade machine is finally back on track for me as I had some issues I needed to resolve before buying the parts. I just have one question before ordering. I'm going to get the GP-Wiz40 (with 40 switches) encoder and the SpitFire QD™ Quick-Connect Arcade Stick. My question is the Spitfire stick comes with a plug for easy hookup, but if I'm getting the 40 wires in the encoder, then would I just end up with 2 ends and no way to connect them, or would I just strip off the ends to each side and connect those?