Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: What are the best affordable speakers?  (Read 5659 times)

kiwasabi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2014, 12:14:51 pm
What are the best affordable speakers?
« on: August 26, 2013, 05:07:45 pm »
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a good set of speakers for an arcade cab in the $20-30 range. I bought the following set at Microcenter on clearance for $20, and while they're ok, they have pretty bad reviews on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-LS21-Stereo-Speaker-System/dp/B0015C30J0/ref=cm_rdp_product

Is there another set anyone would recommend? Preferably with good bass.

TKW4rr10r

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2017, 01:10:01 pm
  • Oh no, he's holding power tools!
    • What I'm selling / looking for:
Re: What are the best affordable speakers?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 05:28:20 pm »
Are you looking for a complete system like the logitech you listed, or some separate components? A $25 dollar budget won't get you much for some good sound.

Are your speaker size/holes in the cab already set? Most swear by a nice T-amp like from Lepai (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003P534SW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2WQGDSJ8QL7S4&coliid=I1S1WNNKEFFVU6) paired with some basic car speakers (http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PL6984BL-9-Inch-400-Watt-Speakers/dp/B000230LCW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1377552168&sr=1-1&keywords=pyle+6x9). I'm just throwing those out as examples, depending on the size and brand you can get them cheaper.

On the other side of things, this is about the most you can realistically get with $30 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836150041

You'll get more sound for your buck going the separates route than any cheap PC speaker setup. Spend a little now to get more enjoyment and less frustration later. Just MHO though.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 05:34:01 pm by TKW4rr10r »

Future Projects: Galaxian Anniversary, Mario VS DK, Rebirth
What I'm selling / looking for

kiwasabi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 05:52:24 pm »
Are you looking for a complete system like the logitech you listed, or some separate components? A $25 dollar budget won't get you much for some good sound.

You'll get more sound for your buck going the separates route than any cheap PC speaker setup. Spend a little now to get more enjoyment and less frustration later. Just MHO though.

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't necessarily need to go for a complete system I suppose. Also, the speaker holes aren't set in stone by any means. Actually I'm looking to create something for commercial use (my own video game) so I should go for something reliable with good sound. For the prototype I got that Logitech system and it has worked fine but it hasn't been under heavy use either like it would be in a commercial environment.

So I'm not totally limited to that price range, I just want to not add too much to the build cost because that'll cut down on profit.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 05:57:30 pm by kiwasabi »

michelevit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 05, 2019, 01:46:18 pm
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 07:17:42 pm »
I've had good luck picking up used speakers at garage sales and thrift stores. many people are upgrading desktops for tablets and laptops.
You don't really need high end speakers for old arcade games. its low fi beeps and blips that any cheap paper speaker can reproduce authentically.

CoryBee

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 21, 2023, 07:12:25 pm
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 07:37:00 pm »
I've had good luck picking up used speakers at garage sales and thrift stores. many people are upgrading desktops for tablets and laptops.
You don't really need high end speakers for old arcade games. its low fi beeps and blips that any cheap paper speaker can reproduce authentically.

This ^^ on both accounts. I just grab some PC speakers from the local thrift store for 3 bucks and call it a day. Sometimes the speakers are low quality (which still is better than the mono output of most arcades you will probably be emulating) and sometimes I find Yamaha computer speakers that sound amazing for the same price.

adder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2021, 10:51:51 am
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 08:01:13 pm »
i use a small and compact lepai lp-2020a+ amplifier, they give really great low bass (has a dedicated bass knob so u can really crank it), and a great crisp overall sound without harshness. you can just use any speakers u like with them, eg. some old used hi-fi speakers from a garage sale etc.
i know some people say 'pc speakers will do', but not for me ;) eg. when i play a game like eg. zaxxon with this sound setup, the low rumbling sounds and explosions sound awesome. something you wont get with cheap pc speakers.

kiwasabi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 08:23:02 pm »
i use a small and compact lepai lp-2020a+ amplifier, they give really great low bass (has a dedicated bass knob so u can really crank it), and a great crisp overall sound without harshness. you can just use any speakers u like with them, eg. some old used hi-fi speakers from a garage sale etc.
i know some people say 'pc speakers will do', but not for me ;) eg. when i play a game like eg. zaxxon with this sound setup, the low rumbling sounds and explosions sound awesome. something you wont get with cheap pc speakers.

Yeah, this is for a commercial arcade machine, so PC speakers definitely aren't going to work. And my game's music does have plenty of bass so the bass is important. The 6 x 9" speakers the first responder suggested was a bit pricey but I might go with this setup if I can fit the 6.5" speakers:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003P534SW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2WQGDSJ8QL7S4&coliid=I1S1WNNKEFFVU6

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PL42BL-180-Watt-Two-Way-Speakers/dp/B000230LBI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1377561805&sr=1-1&keywords=pyle+4+inch

TKW4rr10r

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2017, 01:10:01 pm
  • Oh no, he's holding power tools!
    • What I'm selling / looking for:
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 10:15:40 pm »
Yeah, this is for a commercial arcade machine, so PC speakers definitely aren't going to work. And my game's music does have plenty of bass so the bass is important. The 6 x 9" speakers the first responder suggested was a bit pricey but I might go with this setup if I can fit the 6.5" speakers:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003P534SW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2WQGDSJ8QL7S4&coliid=I1S1WNNKEFFVU6

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PL42BL-180-Watt-Two-Way-Speakers/dp/B000230LBI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1377561805&sr=1-1&keywords=pyle+4+inch

I was actually going to recommend some smaller speakers, but a lot of cabs have pre-cut holes for 6x9s, so I used them as an example. I'm personally going to get a set of 6.5" components for my main mame rig to really separate the bass. But even those are around $50. and that's going to be used as a TV of sorts in the game room, as well, so PC speakers would not do. When I first started researching this myself I thought I'd have to get a car amp, power supply, and some name brand speakers. But you'd be surprised what a small t-amp and basic speakers can do you the sound in a cab. Good luck on the build and keep us posted.

Future Projects: Galaxian Anniversary, Mario VS DK, Rebirth
What I'm selling / looking for

GoYouSalukis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2020, 11:58:59 am
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 06:10:00 pm »
I think asthetics can play into the speaker selection also. Most mono arcades that I have seen have one 6x9 speaker in the center covered by a rectangular metal grill. If the speakers are exposed, I personally prefer the look of round speakers.

WindDrake

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2020, 09:49:05 pm
  • Electrical Engineer
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 07:41:56 pm »
I used 5" 3-Way car speakers in both my MAME builds and they sound fantastic with a 200w car amp behind them. I think the amp was $30 and the speakers were $20.

kiwasabi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 07:45:26 pm »
I think asthetics can play into the speaker selection also. Most mono arcades that I have seen have one 6x9 speaker in the center covered by a rectangular metal grill. If the speakers are exposed, I personally prefer the look of round speakers.

I'll have to cover it with a grill since this will be playable by the public on location somewhere. Do you or anyone else know how I can make a grill? I looked at Home Depot and Lowe's for metal sheets with holes in them but they only had some that were really thin and had foofy designs on them.

I used 5" 3-Way car speakers in both my MAME builds and they sound fantastic with a 200w car amp behind them. I think the amp was $30 and the speakers were $20.

What brand of speakers and amp did you end up going with?

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 08:58:57 pm »

You would be surprised how many factory cabinets LOOK like they have a couple of 6x9s or 5" speakers from the outside, but only have one lonely 3" or 4" speaker behind that grill!
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 10:21:29 pm »
It also depends on what kind of monitor you have.  If you use and LCD the Lepai with car speakers is a no brainer.  However, if you use a CRT then the speaker's magnets, if installed too close to the CRT, will interfere with it.  In my case I needed to go with computer speakers, which are all shielded to prevent this (as long as you keep them in their case).

Flea market or Thrift store are my choices.  Sometimes you will find a good deal at a tag sale too.

D

Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

kiwasabi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2013, 10:36:16 pm »
Mine's an LED, and I'm gonna go with the Lepai and car speakers.

My other question got missed...does anyone know how to go about making a speaker grill?

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013, 11:14:32 pm »
Mine's an LED, and I'm gonna go with the Lepai and car speakers.

My other question got missed...does anyone know how to go about making a speaker grill?
Black stretchy cloth over a wooden frame with a hole in it for the speaker is one way to go.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

WindDrake

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2020, 09:49:05 pm
  • Electrical Engineer
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 01:25:47 pm »

What brand of speakers and amp did you end up going with?

They were Pyle 5.25" 3-ways, and a stereo 200w Soundstorm amp.

kiwasabi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 08:58:35 pm »
What kind of input are you guys using for the amp?

Is there an internal card you can use to wire the speakers into the computer instead of an amp?

adder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2021, 10:51:51 am
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 09:34:32 pm »
Quote from: kiwasabi
What kind of input are you guys using for the amp?

i just use a regular stereo 3.5mm male jack to jack audio cable, between my pc onboard sound line out, and the lepai amp 'mp3' audio input. you could use  stereo 3.5mm male jack to 2x male rca plugs if you prefer.

some tips if you get the lepai:

1. get the 'lepai lp-2020a+' model, not an earlier revision.
2. if you plan to turn it up very loud, consider using a 12v 4A-6A adapter as opposed to something like a 12v 2A adapter. if you read some reviews about the amplifier you will notice other people recommending this.  (i use a 12v 5A adapter)
3. if you buy it brand new/unused the amplifier has a kind of 'burn-in' time of a few hours after which the bass becomes stronger and the sound opens up (you also hear people chatting about this in the reviews).

Quote from: kiwasabi
Is there an internal card you can use to wire the speakers into the computer instead of an amp?

sorry i have no idea about that

« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 09:57:43 pm by jadder »

tron84

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 15, 2017, 06:45:56 am
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2013, 12:34:09 pm »
Here are some that are nice, that wont break the bank at $26.88, that newegg just put out today.
Some in-wall home theater speakers.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1620S10260&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL082913&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL082913-_-EMC-082913-Index-_-HomeAudioSpeakers-_-9SIA1620S10260-L033A

monkeychunkuk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 14, 2015, 10:50:05 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
What are the best affordable speakers?
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2013, 12:47:53 pm »
I wish they did separate volume control for these amps so you could mount them away from the amp mounting position

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2024, 10:50:02 am
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2013, 03:36:32 pm »
I don't think you can say it's for your own game you made, and then not tell us about your game. It just isn't fair.

kiwasabi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2013, 03:50:25 pm »
I don't think you can say it's for your own game you made, and then not tell us about your game. It just isn't fair.

Sorry about that. I've been in stealth mode on it for a while, but below is gameplay footage. The prototype machine is at the Game Exchange of Colorado now to drum up interest. It may end up at our local barcade 1UP. It's 2 player and uses spinner controls, which I think were sorely underutilized by arcade manufacturers.

Also, here are some pics. The prototype cabinet is a modified Atari Vindicators.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q102/kiwasabi/comiconcabinet-1.jpg
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q102/kiwasabi/flytraparcadecab.jpg
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q102/kiwasabi/flytrapcabinetprint.jpg

kiwasabi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2013, 08:40:09 pm »
Thanks again for the help guys. I've done a bit more research on speakers and it looks like those Pyles, while cheap, don't have a very good low frequency response. They only go down to 90hz, whereas some comparable (although more expensive) Alpines get down to 60hz.
The review said the Pyles didn't have that great of bass.

For instance, this one for $40 goes down to 40hz:

http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-SXE-6925S-Coaxial-Speakers-Natural/dp/B007PRH4KU/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1380069640&sr=8-8&keywords=alpine+6x9+speakers
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 08:42:35 pm by kiwasabi »