Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: DIY - ACRYLIC BENDING TABLE - (Update 9-28-13)  (Read 42725 times)

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
DIY - ACRYLIC BENDING TABLE - (Update 9-28-13)
« on: August 29, 2013, 10:24:34 pm »
I figured everyone in here has thought about or wanted to bend some acrylic, so i figured I'd attempt to document a build on one for the forum.

This isn't an original idea as there are tutorials out there on how to build these things, just figured it would interest a few folks that may want to build there own as well.  It's also an alternative to the dreaded heat gun weight it down with clamps theory :banghead:.

I'll be asking electrical questions as i suck as electrical formulations, amp, watts, voltage etc...

The idea is to make it as safe as possible, fairly efficient, durable and cheap to build, hopefully under $100.00

• The area will will be about 36X40, i doubt i'll be bending any CP panels wider than that.
  • It will have an angle set/stop
  • On/off switch
  • Variable heat control
  • Portable

Here are some of the parts I'll be looking into, and testing during this process.

• 12v 5a power supply, 24v 10a power supply
  • Nichrome wire
  • 12v dimmer
  • Led voltmeter
  • Angle finder

I'm trying to keep the output DC if possible AC scares me.

I'm in the process of ordering parts now, and will post photos of the build, I'm also researching nichrome wire and its heating specs (hence 2 types of power supplys).  12v should be plenty for a CP overlay, but thicker plexi may call for higher voltage/heat.....

Anywho, any comments or suggestions are welcome, especially on the electrical side..Looking forward to the project... :applaud:
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 07:55:59 pm by rablack97 »

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
Re: DIY - ACRYLIC BENDING TABLE
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 12:00:30 am »
Look at brakes. I have angle iron from an old bed frame i've been meaning to slice up for this purpose.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:11:31 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 01:57:49 am »
I'm guessing you already know the trick about using a spring to take up the slack/sag created as the Nichrome wire expands/lengthens due to heat, right?

It would be great to incorporate swappable bend radius forms (green) so you can choose between several bend diameters.

The heater (red) is mounted on an adjustable-height support frame that allows you to heat the bend point.

An adjustable roller (blue) keeps the plexi close as you bend it to the desired angle.

Scott

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 06:00:33 am »

Forgot to mention earlier, but IMHO that style of angle finder sucks big hairy green :censored:.

At best, the scales are hard to read accurately and at worst it may even be a Communist plot to make users victims question their competency and even their sanity.  :dizzy:

A simpler design like this is easier to read and far more accurate.   ;D

Scott

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 07:27:58 am »
Thanks guys, for the input.....noted

Forgot to mention earlier, but IMHO that style of angle finder sucks big hairy green :censored:.

At best, the scales are hard to read accurately and at worst it may even be a Communist plot to make users victims question their competency and even their sanity.  :dizzy:

A simpler design like this is easier to read and far more accurate.   ;D

Scott

Lol Scott,

I know they suck.....buttttt lookie....

Its got mounting holes, a brass lock, and the longer part stays stationary allowing you to select angle, shorter part it the actual stop the bending board can rest on.....

I agree on accuracy as well, give me some ideas on how to mount that thing, and i'll look into it.

I'm guessing you already know the trick about using a spring to take up the slack/sag created as the Nichrome wire expands/lengthens due to heat, right?

Yep, will be using tension springs to take up the slack.

Never thought of having this thing bend down, but wouldn't that limit the rig to be used at the ends of tables only.

For the the radii swapout, what about different thicknesses of dowel rods?

I was thinking about the compress roller as well, as i'm trying to keep things low cost, what about small quick release clamps.  I'm not sure how to get compression on the roller or or pull it down and have it stay.

Something like this could work too....

My question to you is on the electrical, I'm not sure what to use for the power in regards to amperage and watts.....

Per here plexi is pliable at 275F degrees.  I know this varies based on thickness.

http://www.sdplastics.com/polycast.html

Since I'm using 20awg Nichrome wire....these are the specs to get this wire up to a good heating temp.

So a 6amp psu should get me well over what i would need for thicker plexi if need be.  I'm just not sure if its the watts or the volts that i need to look at when it comes to heating.

5 amps at 10V AC if 50 watts right, what would be the DC equivalent of that?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 07:48:05 am by rablack97 »

welash

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2020, 04:52:44 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 04:31:09 pm »
The voltage will depend on the length of the wire.  The temperature is going to be proportional to the current (amps).  The current is going to obey ohm's law E=IR, where E is the voltage, R is the resistance, and I is the current.  You need to know the resistance of the wire per foot, and the length to get the total resistance.  I looked up a value for 20 AWG nichrome wire as about .66 ohms per foot.  If your wire is a foot long, that would be 6amps * .66 ohms or about 4 volts.  There is a nice web based calculator at http://www.jacobs-online.biz/nichrome/NichromeCalc.html that seems to agree with that (honestly, that is where I got the value for the resistance per foot).

The power in watts will be the voltage multiplied by the current.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 04:40:22 pm »
I fully endorse this project!  I've always thought about a dedicated table/tool for bending plastics...this looks promising!

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 06:23:18 pm »
The voltage will depend on the length of the wire.  The temperature is going to be proportional to the current (amps).  The current is going to obey ohm's law E=IR, where E is the voltage, R is the resistance, and I is the current.  You need to know the resistance of the wire per foot, and the length to get the total resistance.  I looked up a value for 20 AWG nichrome wire as about .66 ohms per foot.  If your wire is a foot long, that would be 6amps * .66 ohms or about 4 volts.  There is a nice web based calculator at http://www.jacobs-online.biz/nichrome/NichromeCalc.html that seems to agree with that (honestly, that is where I got the value for the resistance per foot).

The power in watts will be the voltage multiplied by the current.

awesome, thanks for the link and the knowledge, i figured this would engage good conversation about electrical....

I fully endorse this project!  I've always thought about a dedicated table/tool for bending plastics...this looks promising!

I hope folks find it useful and entertaining as well, it will be on the fly and trial and error.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 06:45:48 pm »
give me some ideas on how to mount that thing, and i'll look into it.
Whether you end up using an up-bend or down-bend setup, design the table so that the top of the working surface is level with the center pivot point of the table arms.

Put the pivot point of the Protractor at the pivot point of the table arms.

The rest of these directions are for a down-bend table (fixed arm on the left, movable arm on the right), but can be easily adapted for an up-bend table.

Two screws through the protractor arm into the movable table arm.

On the back of the protractor face, attach two L-brackets on the part by the fixed arms using epoxy, spot-welding, or small countersunk screws sunk flush or slightly below flush.

The L-brackets allow you to fine-tune the angle by using screws that come up through the fixed arm and several nuts layered like this:

Upper adjustment nut
L-Bracket
Lower adjustment nut
 (small gap)
Nut to hold screw firmly to fixed arm
Split or star washer
Fixed arm
Screw head under the fixed arm

Never thought of having this thing bend down, but wouldn't that limit the rig to be used at the ends of tables only.
True.

The top-heat down-bend design uses gravity to assist the bend.

A bottom-heat up-bend design traps rising heat better.

Either concept works as long as you remember to heat the outside of the curve.

I also have a dual-heater (top/bottom) up-bend design with a hinged upper heater that swings out of the way of a lockable hinged bend form -- this design is for working with thicker plexi.  LMK if you are interested.

For the the radii swapout, what about different thicknesses of dowel rods?
Dowel rods won't work very well because they are different diameters which changes the bend point.

Use a router and several roundover bits to shape 1x2's into swappable forms secured by machine screws and t-nuts.

I was thinking about the compress roller as well, as i'm trying to keep things low cost, what about small quick release clamps.  I'm not sure how to get compression on the roller or or pull it down and have it stay.

Something like this could work too....

Either that or two of the el-cheapo Harbor Freight bar clamps connected to a slick flat-bottom "sled" sounds good.

Before clamping down, put a piece of thick paper or thin cardboard between the plexi and sled.

After clamping down, pull out the spacer and you have just a bit of wiggle room.

Alternate method -- use some sheepskin wrapped around the clamp bar and press down gently as you clamp.

My question to you is on the electrical, I'm not sure what to use for the power in regards to amperage and watts.....
On this, I'll defer to the interactive calculator that Welash linked.

Scott

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 11:41:42 pm »
Several thoughts to consider about the channel that the heating element sits in:

How do you plan to insulate the wood body from the heating element?

Most builds use aluminum U-channel. 

What about ceramic tile? (heat resistant, non-conductive)

With these temperatures, how much more formaldahyde will the surrounding MDF off-gas?

Scott

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 12:07:40 am »
You've given me alot to think about Scott,  :dizzy:, great ideas though....

I'm going with a bend/up design currently.

I was going with an aluminum u channel, I've seen melamine, mdf, and osb board used.

I read about creamic tile as well, some have mentioned ceramic spaces too.

Then theres also fiberglass tape.

Several thoughts to consider about the channel that the heating element sits in:

With these temperatures, how much more formaldahyde will the surrounding MDF off-gas?

Scott

Lost me there.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 01:10:29 am »
Lost me there.
The adhesive holding MDF together is made with formaldahyde.

This is why you need to use proper respiratory protection when cutting/routing it so you don't breathe in those fine particles and absorb the carcinogenic (cancer-causing) formaldahyde.

MDF releases (off-gasses) formaldahyde for several months after manufacture and also when you cut the MDF exposing a part that hasn't off-gassed/cured yet.

Picture a thick slab of concrete where the surface looks dry, but it takes a long time to fully cure -- Hoover Dam was built in 1931-1936, but the concrete is still curing today.   :o

At higher temperatures, MDF releases more formaldahyde than at room temperature. (greater heat = faster molecular movement --> more gas released)

Scott

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 01:42:19 am »
Was actually thinking about laminating the mdf, would that help or alleviate some these issues?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 02:13:02 am »
Was actually thinking about laminating the mdf, would that help or alleviate some these issues?

Anything that seals the surfaces such as painting will prevent off-gassing.

Not sure if the laminate you're using is gas-permeable or not -- seems like it would have to be for the adhesive to cure.  :dunno

Probably wouldn't hurt to prime it, scuff it up for better adhesion, and then laminate.

Scott

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 11:44:39 am »
I may be missing something here (I usually do), but that dimmer you pictured is only good for .8 amp (800 MA), looks like the lowest rating in that chart is 3.8 amp (3800 MA).

I like your idea and will be watching.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2013, 12:51:11 pm »
I may be missing something here (I usually do), but that dimmer you pictured is only good for .8 amp (800 MA), looks like the lowest rating in that chart is 3.8 amp (3800 MA).

I like your idea and will be watching.

Every where I've looked at the description for this thing it says 8 amps. As this is a strip lighting dimmer, most strip lighting starts off at about 2 to 3amps, so .8 wouldn't even operate the strip.....

However you maybe right in a sense the way its labeled, these are the specs.

Specifications:

Working temperature: -20°C ~ 60°C

Supply voltage: DC 12V

Output power: < 96W

Output current: < 8A

Output: 1 channel

Static power consumption: <0.5W

Size: L89×W59×H35mm

Anything that seals the surfaces such as painting will prevent off-gassing.

Not sure if the laminate you're using is gas-permeable or not -- seems like it would have to be for the adhesive to cure.  :dunno

Probably wouldn't hurt to prime it, scuff it up for better adhesion, and then laminate.

Scott

I'm wondering if you would even get the reaction your talking about, given the heat is only applied for a few mins and would be controlled.

As far as adhesion, i've been laminated alot lately on mdf and adhesion is good, unless your recommending the priming more as a sealer.

Here are some other options, I've been looking into for power.  The dreaded AC options.

The cheapest way I've found so far is using variable speed controllers, or a household wall rotary dimmer switch.  This is the alternative to buying and expensive variac transformer.

This guy is 14.99 with 25% off coupon from harbor freight.....

Only thing is I'm not sure what the ramp up or start voltage DC this thing would kick out as its used to power tool.  However the idea would be to take a PC power cord and alligator clip the ends to the nichrome wire and use the controller for power output.

Same theory for this guy...These are about $6.00

This one i think would integrate better with the build as it can be installed into the frame rather than having an external corded controller.

The only issue with AC is that the digital readouts are harder to source that start out at 0.  However a jack for multimeter probes might work too for the voltage readout....
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 12:58:09 pm by rablack97 »

orion

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2022, 03:58:03 pm
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2013, 09:02:04 pm »
I use nichome wire all the time with my electronic cigs. It doesn't take much volts to heat it up that's for sure. If you use it make sure you build the table in a way where the wire is easily replaced, you will burn it up eventually. Consider using kanthanal wire as it holds up a bit more, its way more robust. I hear titanium wire is really nice for a heating element as well.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2013, 11:47:21 pm »
I'm wondering if you would even get the reaction your talking about, given the heat is only applied for a few mins and would be controlled.

As far as adhesion, i've been laminated alot lately on mdf and adhesion is good, unless your recommending the priming more as a sealer.

The primer is only there to seal the MDF.

The formaldahyde exposure level is probably not going to be very high, but priming the MDF should stop it completely.

The formaldahyde will off-gas at room temperature and exposing it to higher temperatures will speed the process.

Picture how long it takes to boil water -- only a few minutes of heat and the gasses in the water are bubbling away.

If you don't prime the whole thing, at least prime any MDF that is within ~4 inches of the heating element.

Scott

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2013, 11:46:45 pm »
Not dead guys just been working through the build.

I'll have more photos.....

The table will be a 4X4 with a 36" width bending capability.  Not gonna worry too much about multiple radius templates, just looking for a nice clean bend w/o ruining the acrylic....

Decided to go with Particle board, a 4X8 sheet $18.00, whole project was done off one sheet.

I wont bore you with basic wood working 101 table top stuff...so all i did was butt-up 4 2x4's in to a 4x4 square and secured the particle board to it.

Base is done, thinking of keeping it low profile for easy storage, instead of adding legs.

Also these came in, one is 3A the other is 6A, i'll be testing both as soon as the nichrome wire comes in.

I'm further than it looks, just wanted to let folks know i'm working on it....

:cheers:

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
Re: DIY - ACRYLIC BENDING TABLE - (Update 9-2-13)
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 12:40:29 am »
Keep up the good work.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 03:58:23 am »
Looking good so far.

What are you using for hinges?

Have you designed a mechanism to hold the bend at a preset angle until it cools?
(Consider using perforated angle iron, a crossbar, and two turnbuckles -- one for the left side, one for the right.)

Given the width of the bend table, consider having a protractor on both sides to verify the bend is even.

Scott

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 04:36:35 pm »
Looking good so far.

What are you using for hinges?

Have you designed a mechanism to hold the bend at a preset angle until it cools?
(Consider using , a crossbar, and two turnbuckles -- one for the left side, one for the right.)

Given the width of the bend table, consider having a protractor on both sides to verify the bend is even.

Scott

Just using some simple strap hinges.  Works pretty good.

Holding Mechanism, still haven't figure that one out yet....I need this, but have no idea what that is or what it's called (Yellow miter guage looking thing.

That would kill 2 birds with one stone, possiblly, the weight of the bending board is kinda heavy.

I'm having a hard time tryin to figure out strong angles stops for the bending board, to your point for set cooling time.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 04:39:33 pm by rablack97 »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2013, 09:03:53 pm »
How about this?

Perforated angle iron (yellow) is bolted to the sides of the fixed part of the table, flat side down.

A plain metal rod (red) about the same size as the holes in the angle iron serves as a crossbar for rough angle adjustments.

On the underside of the folding part of the table there are pivot points (green) that connect to turnbuckles (blue) used for fine angle adjustment.

The other end of the turnbuckle has a bolt through the second hole of the horizontal side in another piece of angle iron (gray) that is flat side up and vertical side out.

Use an eyelet or heavy wire through the first hole in the angle iron to secure the turnbuckle end from pivoting on the angle iron.

The threaded crossbar (orange) between the turnbuckle arms holds them a fixed distance apart.

As you lift the folding part of the table, the turnbuckle arms slide across the adjustable crossbar until they drop into place.

If you use the same size turnbuckles, you can even make two swappable sets of turnbuckle arms -- a long set for high angles, a short set for low angles.

Scott
EDIT: Added closeup of the turnbuckle arm end with a better design.
Top lip catches the arms as they fall into place, rounded bottom right corner reduces overbend/bendback on the plexi while locking the arm into place.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 09:56:20 pm by PL1 »

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2013, 04:54:40 pm »
I like the idea, although i'm already a 2ft. in length....wouldn't that make it gargantuan?

Also, how would it accommodate angles less than 90 degrees....

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2013, 08:10:21 pm »
Remember that the diagram above is not drawn to scale and is only intended to show how the various pieces described in the text fit together. (I'm not a wizard at renders like Maximus  ;D)

If you only made one 2'10" (long) set of pivot arms, the yellow part would need to extend not more than 4'10" past the bend point.

To provide better support for low angles, you will also want to make a short set of pivot arms.

Rough adjust angle by moving the red crossbar to a closer or farther hole. (see angle adjustment slots in pic below)

If the red crossbar was inserted 4'10" past the bend, the table would be flat and so would the pivot arms.

If the red crossbar was inserted 2' past the bend, the table would be straight up at 90 degrees and the pivot arms would be at 45 degrees.

You can make the arm lengths 50% shorter by moving the pivot points to the middle of the folding part (1 foot from the bend) like this adjustable back chaise lounge -- the down side is that you have less fine angle adjustment and less leverage to support the table.

You can make the yellow arms removable for transport/storage.

You can also remove the pivot arms for transport/storage by turning the turnbuckles until they come undone.

Scott
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 08:16:55 pm by PL1 »

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2013, 10:35:53 am »
Yeah, thats what I thought you were going for, to your point that route limits angle adjustment.

Do you know of any long arm pneumatic door closers...I've seen a few but the arms aren't long enough...

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2013, 11:28:53 am »
ok found it.......ouch $40.00

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2021, 12:42:56 pm
  • Gaming for a better future!
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2013, 01:23:17 pm »
Subscribed.  I look forward to your progress!

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2013, 05:08:46 pm »

Ouch indeed.

Why not print your own protractors using Cory's serial plate technique.

Several patterns to consider here, here, and here.

Use some plexi with an etched line for the swing arm.

Scott
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 05:46:36 pm by PL1 »

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2013, 05:10:34 pm »
Ok small update....

Added the 2nd Layer so the plexi will be even with the bending side.  I was toying with some ideas, hence the layer being in pieces.  However this will be laminated and covered.

Aluminum channel and hinges test installed.

I made sure there was a 1" lip for the bending side, as this will aid in lifting the panel.

The is the guide made from an aluminum strip to keep the acrylic square

Added a handle for pickup and storage

Bending panel at a 90 degree angle, very easy to lift.

For the electrical, i wanted to keep thing as low profile and hidden as possible, mainly for safety.  So i drilled a hole and used an an L-Bracket to support a bolt.  The wire from the PSU will go here via a circular crimp connetor.

From above.....2 nuts will hold the nichrome wire in place, the plasic will be removed from the connector.

A smaller type of this will be installed over the screw so no accidental touches.

For the tension bar, i just used a heavy metal bar and drilled holes as each end.

This will be held in place with wingnuts.

The purpose is to keep the plexi from moving during the bend instead of using your hand to stabilize.

Received some more pieces today, nichrome wire and the voltage dimmer....thats all for now...

« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 05:27:20 pm by rablack97 »

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2013, 05:25:05 pm »

Ouch indeed.

Why not print your own protractor overlays using Cory's serial plate technique.

Use some plexi with an etched line for the swing arm.

Scott

Think i'm going digital man, i cant figure out a rig to have accurate stops, so i guess my hand will have to be pretty steady at the hold point.

Ordered one of these today, should be easy to take apart and mount at the front of the bend board and it will read out the angle and you move the panel up and down, read up to 360 degrees.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2013, 06:16:57 pm »
i cant figure out a rig to have accurate stops, so i guess my hand will have to be pretty steady at the hold point.

Why wouldn't the crossbar and turnbuckle setup I posted earlier work?

You can set the coarse angle with the crossbar and fine adjust the angle using the turnbuckles.

Once you set the correct angle, disengage the pivot arms and return the table to flat.

Install and heat the plexi.

Once the plexi is heated, lift the back until the pivot arms drop into place on the crossbar.

Unless I'm really missing something, this should yield easily set and repeatable angles.

Scott
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 06:20:53 pm by PL1 »

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2013, 06:38:35 pm »
i cant figure out a rig to have accurate stops, so i guess my hand will have to be pretty steady at the hold point.

Why wouldn't the crossbar and turnbuckle setup I posted earlier work?

You can set the coarse angle with the crossbar and fine adjust the angle using the turnbuckles.

Once you set the correct angle, disengage the pivot arms and return the table to flat.

Install and heat the plexi.

Once the plexi is heated, lift the back until the pivot arms drop into place on the crossbar.

Unless I'm really missing something, this should yield easily set and repeatable angles.

Scott

Ok i had to relook at your rig, i didnt quite understand it, the adjustable cross bar is what put it all together.

You think it could be rengineered to be w/i the base.....

Cut a hole in the 1st layer and have it pivot in and out of the base?  Trying to keep in sorta compact.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2013, 08:10:12 pm »
Ok i had to relook at your rig, i didnt quite understand it, the adjustable cross bar is what put it all together.

You think it could be rengineered to be w/i the base.....

Cut a hole in the 1st layer and have it pivot in and out of the base?  Trying to keep in sorta compact.

I think it would be easier to use 2 bolts or threaded knobs like this to hold each yellow piece to the fixed part of the table. (DimcoGray makes  a wide variety of styles/sizes)

It will be large when in use, but when you remove the yellow angle iron and pivot arms, it stores in a very compact space.

You can use similar hardware on the orange crossbar to break down the pivot arms for compact storage / transport.

Please consider making two or three sets of pivot arms.

A long set for sharp bends 45-120 (?) degrees, a medium set for 10-50 (?) degrees, and a short set for 1-15 (?) degrees.

The exact ranges and lengths to use will depend on how everything fits together.

The main thing you want to avoid is overextending the arms at the bottom of the range -- picture trying to hold a heavy weight at arms-length.

Added an arm end design for bends over 90 degrees.

Scott
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 08:17:29 pm by PL1 »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: DIY - ACRYLIC BENDING TABLE - (Update 9-5-13)
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2013, 03:04:19 am »
Found a great deal on 7-1/2" turnbuckles here that should work great for this design.   :cheers:

Scott

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2013, 10:48:49 am »
Well I did some testing on the PSU's and the nichrome wire, and have had no luck....

Seems these PSU's have Short protection, which i assume that they shut down when + & - touch..... :banghead: :banghead:

Anybody know away around this?

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2015, 10:19:10 pm
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2013, 11:08:06 am »
Well I did some testing on the PSU's and the nichrome wire, and have had no luck....

Seems these PSU's have Short protection, which i assume that they shut down when + & - touch..... :banghead: :banghead:

Anybody know away around this?

you sure you have the ATX-On wire grounded and are getting power to the psu?

If all else fails, gut a soldering iron.

Been thinking about making a small bender myself. I have a midway cabaret cab that i need to bend a custom wrap around marquee for.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2013, 11:26:13 am »
It's not a Computer PSU...It's these guys

I'm getting power, but as soon as i touch + - together the light starts blinking, as its going into short protection mode....

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2013, 01:06:56 pm »
According to the calculator posted earlier in the thread, 35 inches of 20 gauge nichrome wire will have a resistance of 1.92 ohms.

<2 ohms will probably be seen by most power supplies as a short.

Can you use a 72" length for a heating element that doubles back?

Scott

melvinbates

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2023, 11:39:02 am
  • Another day in paradise
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2013, 02:38:33 pm »
Hmm, what are the specs on the PSU you are using?  You are most likely drawing too much power from it.  You may need to get some power resistors to limit the draw or as PL1 stated double up the wire.  It should be fairly easy to gauge what you will need to do to get it to work.  Just remember Volts/Ohms = Current and Current x Voltage = watts.  Keep that in spec with your PSU and you should be fine.

charlieram

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 10:48:49 am
    • TTA Games
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2013, 06:27:19 pm »
I built a small plastic bender a few months ago, not as refined or big as yours and I havn't fully tested it yet, I built it to make gun holsters for my cab...when I get the guns all set up :banghead: Any way I just used a 12v car battery charger and it worked well enough for me to bend some sanples, thats as far as i got but maybe you could try a truck/car battery charger?

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2013, 07:03:28 pm »
Ok then, test set # 2

This looked promising, until i opened the package and the knob fell off and the fuse compartment was busted.  However i was able to piece it back together and get it working.  The only problem is at the lowest setting it heats the wire up to the point of failure, I can only leave it on for a few secs and it keeps getting brighter and brighter.  So I'm guessing the lowest voltage output exceeds what the wire can hold up to.

This one was funny, I wired it up and turned it up slowly, nothing happened, a second later the electrcity flowed like water.  Well the wire heated up bright red, snapped, burned the wood on the table, before i could shut it down....Awesomeness

As far as the battery charger goes, i tried one out today, and it wont send juice to the leads unless it senses the voltage from an actual battery, the safety features on this stuff is making this project harder.

Any brands of battery charger recommendations.  If it gets around $60.00-100.00 for a charger I'm better off getting a lab supply or a variac.

It's kinda cool testing what works, so those that are following will know what not to do.  I'll post some photos of what i've done once i find a working power source.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 07:05:29 pm by rablack97 »

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2013, 07:04:16 pm »

HAH, found this at Harbour freight, 9.00...woohoo

charlieram

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 10:48:49 am
    • TTA Games
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2013, 07:24:54 pm »
I cant tell you what charger it is cos I'm at work now. All I do know is it was cheap (I'm tight like that ;D, in fact my plastic bender cost no more than £6 ) and so it probably lacks that kind of safety feature! my wire is probably only about 20 inches long.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 07:28:38 pm by charlieram »

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2013, 07:42:55 pm »
I cant tell you what charger it is cos I'm at work now. All I do know is it was cheap (I'm tight like that ;D, in fact my plastic bender cost no more than £6 ) and so it probably lacks that kind of safety feature! my wire is probably only about 20 inches long.

Yeah my wire is almost 40 inches long....

I have a 24v 10amp psu on the way, if that doesnt work, i'm just gonna get a lab power supply or a 5amp variac.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2013, 09:21:26 pm »
HAH, found this at Harbour freight, 9.00...woohoo

Did you look at this $5 one while you were there?

Have you tried using jumper cables from your car battery?   ;D

12v should give you 660 degrees and draw 5.46A using a 40" nichrome wire.

Another more portable possibility is an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) 12v battery.

Amazon and Interstate Batteries have a number of replacement batteries in the 5-7 AmpHour range for around $20-35 -- should be good for ~50-90 minutes per charge.

They often come with .25" QD connections.

Scott
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 09:49:45 pm by PL1 »

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2013, 06:17:35 pm »
Small Update.

Great new the magic PSU is a 24v 10a 240 watt.  It doesnt short and I can control the voltage.  I'll post progress pics this evening and a few bend samples.

I found this out after i purchased the lab PSU, in this hobby, doesnt hurt to have for electronics testing though... :afro:

rablack97

• Offline Offline
Re: DIY - ACRYLIC BENDING TABLE - (Update 9-18-13)
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2013, 09:53:49 pm »
Hello All,

Some major headway....

Ok so i went another route to secure the guide bolts to the frame.

I decided to use brass inserts, I you tubed a cool way to install these things.  Works really well.

FYI, Nichrome wire does not like to be unravelled

I used these connectors and removed the plastic insulators.

Crimped one end to the nichrome wire...like so, just make sure its nice a snug by giving it a few pulls.

This is secured by 2 nuts by sandwiching the connector on the bolt, this pic shows the -ve lead already attached for testing.  This will disappear and is only there for testing purposes only.

I stretched the nichrome wire across the channel, across another guide bolt and attached it to my drag spring.  The drag spring was then pulled and attached to the tension bolt....making up words as i go here.

You see those 2 burn marks, thats what happens when you use AC for power...you get pretty tattoos on your table.

Full view with guide bar and nichrome wire installed...

This is the sweet spot PSU, after 3 attempts.....12v 10a 240 watt, $20.00 ebay.  Simple wiring, 3 prong plug in and 2 alligator leads out.

Look at the pretty laser beam!!!!!!!  I haven't measured the voltage yet, will do so and post later....

Test piece locked and loaded.

I waited about a minute or so and kept lifting the back end until i saw it crease, i unplugged and lifted the back end up to a 90 degree angle roughly, and this is what i got.

Not bad for a first bend, no burning or distortion in the acrylic...I'll probably add a timer as i go along to alert me when its time to bend...

That's all for now... :cheers:

« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 09:55:46 pm by rablack97 »

CoryBee

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 21, 2023, 07:12:25 pm
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2013, 10:11:11 pm »
Awesome!

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2013, 10:39:19 pm »
^^^ Agreed!!

Hey rablack97, thanks for that video.
I used some of those inserts on my last build, "A Little Rage" and didn't like the way they installed at all.
I didn't know I was going about it all bass-ackwards!
I thought the slot in the insert was to drive it in with a screwdriver. Had a rough time on a couple of them, on one I had to remove the insert, drill out the hole and re-fill with bondo and start all over again.
I may use these on my latest build "Gayles Jukebox" to fasten the monitor, it looks more attractive now, and I think I have a few left over.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 10:51:24 pm by DaOld Man »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2013, 11:59:26 pm »
Looks great.   :applaud:

Once you add the timer, consider recording these data points on your bends.

-- Voltage
 -- Temperature (convert voltage to temperature using the calculator Welash posted)
 -- Time the material was heated
 -- Material (if you try anything other than acrylic such as Kydex)
 -- Thickness
 -- General Observations (over/underheated, discoloration, distortion, etc)

Hopefully this data will help you (and anyone following in your footsteps) find the sweet spot for bending different materials/thicknesses.

Scott

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2013, 09:29:28 pm »
great news. now you can start bending things for my projects  :laugh:

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2013, 10:15:43 pm »
LOL....You can scale this project down and DIY man, I plan on using this mostly for CP bends, i just got tired of ruining plexi doing it with a heat gun.

I really like the results.

The final design will be really safe and easy to operate.  For anyone following less than $100.00 cause i've done all the guinea pig purchases. :cheers:

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2013, 10:58:16 pm »
LOL....You can scale this project down and DIY man, I plan on using this mostly for CP bends, i just got tired of ruining plexi doing it with a heat gun.

I really like the results.

The final design will be really safe and easy to operate.  For anyone following less than $100.00 cause i've done all the guinea pig purchases. :cheers:

it was just a joke. I may make one eventually to build some simple enclosures for misc hobby projects.  :)

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2013, 11:09:39 pm »
I know man, I know you got the brains to make one these things  ;D

darthpaul

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 23, 2022, 07:34:53 pm
  • Join, It's your duty
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2013, 11:40:39 pm »
Everyone needs one of these, great job.
"You don't know the power of the Dark Side"
Automated Cabinet
Nintendo Pi
PiCubed

rablack97

• Offline Offline
Re: DIY - ACRYLIC BENDING TABLE - (Update 9-28-13)
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2013, 08:07:39 pm »
Added feet

Secured aluminum channel w/ slightly countersunk screws

Mounted power supply underneath

Hot and negative leads to bolts underneath

110v leads to power switch

Here's a short video of it working....

Still need to add volt meter, and digital angle finder...

Thats all for now....

nordemoniac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 02:41:28 am
  • Weee! Hahaha...
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2013, 07:01:02 am »
That thing is scary!  :lol

Shouldn't you have some heat protection by the spring and screws?

sharpfork

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2023, 12:43:42 pm
    • KADE
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2013, 07:28:28 pm »
great news. now you can start bending things for my projects  :laugh:
This is what I was thinking.

rablack97- great to see you follow through with building this thing.  Don't burn your house down.

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2014, 12:49:28 pm »
Any updates?  Have you considered packing a parts list & diagram with instructions? 

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2014, 01:26:36 pm »
What is it you wanna know?  It works great still to this day, I have no complaints, very useful.

It makes tight radius bends, for a wider radius, this probably isn't the route to go as the element heats a thin strip of the plexi.  PL1 offered some ideas on this in the tread if you wanna entertain that feature.  For the wider, i still resort to the heat gun and clamp weights, which gives you more of a form control benefit.

For my CP's the radius is tight, so it suits me fine

Most folks just commented on it, the parts list is actually throughout the thread.

If your seriously interested in building one, I can compile the list of parts that worked for me.  The design however can be scaled down alot, mine is a bit overkill in regards to width and length, kinda hard to store.

You can use this thread to ask questions and I'll walk you through it....not that hard....

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2014, 06:31:33 pm »
You can use this thread to ask questions and I'll walk you through it....not that hard....
That is kind of you.  Thanks.

TBH.  I'm not building anything until it warms up.  I'd like to make some brochure holders and things for newsletters.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2014, 10:29:50 pm »
oh ok, then this will work perfect for you, scale it to half size and you'll be good to go....

Just bump this thread when your ready and i'll help you out....

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2014, 07:36:59 am »
Great project and good documentation Rablack  :applaud:

Sure beats the hell out of me with a blow torch and a collection of dowel rods - well, similar results but I'm willing to bet you've got me beat in consistency, that laser beam of hot death is pretty sweet too  ;D

m1cky69

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2014, 05:03:53 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • mtp woodworking
« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2014, 09:48:38 am »
Awesome project and im looking at this as we speak. Whats your parts list? I was gonna build a polystyrene cutter few year ago and wondered if the parts I got here will do the job?? I got a dc output power supply that outputs at 24v 2A. And I have some 22 awg wire. Be great if I could use this but dont wanna start knocking together till I know its all ok. The wire would only be about 700mm long as my cp is about 600mm

wp34

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2014, 10:26:14 am »
Somehow I missed this the first time.  I remember you bending acrylic for your Cowboy's mini but just thought you used magic.

Very nice.   :cheers:

m1cky69

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2014, 05:03:53 pm
    • mtp woodworking
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2014, 10:28:45 am »
Or would it be best to use an old pc power supply using the 12v rail  and have a variable dimmer switch to adjust the power!?

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2014, 10:59:35 am »
You need this  psu 24v 10a 240 watt, you can adjust the voltage on the psu....same style you are using now just more power

and you need 20 guage nichrome wire...

I had no luck with the varibale dimmer switches, plus, that PSU is under $20 on ebay, super cheap....

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2014, 11:00:29 am »
Somehow I missed this the first time.  I remember you bending acrylic for your Cowboy's mini but just thought you used magic.

Very nice.   :cheers:

Thanks, man, childsplay compared to your Tron build, which i visit frequently for updates.... :applaud:

npd1164

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 17, 2015, 07:17:12 am
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2015, 07:17:49 am »
rablack97-   

Okay, i may have missed something, but I see the last post describes successfully using  a "24v 10a 240 watt PSU" ..... but what was the working means to regulate the heat of the wire?   ...or did it end up needing one?

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2015, 03:05:03 pm »
There PSU is adjustable, you can adjust the heat by turning the voltage on the PSU up or down.  You really just just to turn it up until it glows red, then just leave it alone.