Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sega Model 2/3 Forcefeedback issue Logitech G27  (Read 5513 times)

thurmansevolution

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2013, 07:19:53 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Sega Model 2/3 Forcefeedback issue Logitech G27
« on: August 28, 2013, 03:12:55 am »
Hello!

I came across a bit of a "hiccup" to my driving cab that I hope someone can help me with.  I've searched google to see if anyone else had this issue, and it looks like I may be on my own with this lol. (This seems to be a weird issue)

The problem seems to be that something is causing the center spring "feel" to remain after exiting daytona usa, daytona usa 2, or scud race. The only way I can reset this is to go in the logitech profiler and open the device properties.

All other racing games on both the Sega Model 2 and Supermodel emulators work well, but something with those three games are making me pull my hair out having to figure out what's going on.

If anyone has any clue, please let me know, or give me a good starting point :).

Thanks in advance!

LC

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:43:52 pm
Re: Sega Model 2/3 Forcefeedback issue Logitech G27
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 09:21:09 am »
Is there a reason you want it turned off?  I prefer it on all the time so that games in MAME will have centering feedback.
Guess that's why I've never noticed there was an issue.

thurmansevolution

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 10:03:12 am »
The only issue I have with it is that it effects the steering when the same or another game is launched. The steering becomes a little "off centered" and and will feel like your driving a car that needs a wheel alignment really bad lol.

I first thought it was something with the logitech profiler (I thought the profiler wasn't switching profiles), but narrowed later to only those three games that cause the issue. It's weird lol.

thurmansevolution

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 11:40:40 am »
Made a little progress in troubleshooting  :afro:

Its seems that, for some reason, if you use a front end to launch the games, having a "hot key" assigned to close the process is causing this issue. 

Now to work for the fix - gotta figure out a way to edit the module of Hyperspin's ahk file to map out the "kill button" (e) to Escape for Sega Model 3 and (e) to Alt + F4 for Sega Model 2.

I've tried using the basic:  "e::Send {Escape}", for SM3, but is making Hyperspin Freeze.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:43:52 pm
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 11:56:11 am »
Try

e::{Escape}

You don't need the send if you're just remapping keys.
At least in authotkey.  I haven't done much with Hyperspin.

Whether it works or not depends on whether the emulator gets its input from windows or raw input from the keyboard device.

thurmansevolution

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 12:28:31 pm »
Thanks for the help badmouth :).

Unfortunately though, I tried e::{Escape} and it came back with the "does not recognize action" error.  I'm not sure if having to use ahk basic is causing that error.

thurmansevolution

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 07:44:54 pm »
I seemed to make some sort of progress earlier today :)

Now, for the "Juicy stuff":

For Sega Model 3 running in hyperspin, the key to closing this application completly resides in remapping the Escape button to whatever button you have set up as your "killswitch" (what I like to call it lol). I'm not too familiar with HL3 (Not trying to rip on Hyperspin by any means, I'm more of a GameEx kinda guy lol - but I prefer hyperlaunch 1.x...I can do without using the modules - long story but had an issue with NullDC).

Anyway, if you added Sega Model 3 in your ahk script, in the section for SM3 you have something like:

Hotkey, %exitemulator%, CloseProcess

First thing to do, is replace "CloseProcess" with any name you wish. For mine it looked like:

Hotkey, %exitemulator%, ExitModel3

Next, near the end of the script, you will find the section of kill commands (in this section you will see the "CloseProcess:" goto with some scripting below. Find yourself a nice little space below all the kill commands and write this in:

ExitModel3: (<---or whatever name you typed)
{
SetkeyDelay, 100, 100
Send, {Escape}
return
}

This will gently send the Escape button to close out Sega Model 3 completly, without hyperspin acting freaky and without finding out that your pet monkey is pregnant with your neighbor's love child lol.

You can also customize any keys and use this process to remap and close almost any emulator.

Now for the "Not so juicy" -

It seems as though there is no full way to close the Sega Model 2 emulator, (like escape button is to sm3). The only way I know so far to close this emu is using "alt+F4", which just closes the process. This is what causes daytona usa and any clones of to keep its ffb after the emulator is closed (and luckily, it's just daytona usa, all others ive tested seemed to work ok)

So my question now is, is there any way to close this emulator natively without using the alt+F4 keystroke or a Process, Close command? Something that will fully kill the emu?

And if not, could I make different ini files for daytona with the force feedback = 0? I don't want to lose force feedback for this game, but sadly it might have to come down to it :( .

Thanks again in advance! :)

LC
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 08:51:40 pm by thurmansevolution »

thurmansevolution

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 02:23:28 pm »
Figured it out the other day and have everything working correctly now. :)

What was going on -

Still not 100% sure of the reason why it was keeping the force feedback effects (center spring) after exiting the emulator, but I did notice a couple of small things in which helped me find a fix.

• The only time that the center spring effect would continue after exiting the emulator was when the emulator was exited during a race. After finishing a race, the center spring effect would "end", and the logitech wheel settings for the emu would return.

• During a race, if the test menu is accessed (by pressing F2), the center spring effect would "end", and the logitech wheel settings for the emu would return.

So, basically if I wanted to omit any chances that the centering spring effect would still be there after the emu was exited during a race, I would have to have to get into the test menu, and then exit the emulator.

This is what I did: (in hyperlaunch...other front ends would vary, but the concept is the same)

As almost the same as Sega Model 3 (above), you would have to make a custom exit for the emu. In the Model 2 section, you have a line that looks somewhat like this -

Hotkey, %exitemulator%, CloseProcess

Change the "CloseProcess" to anything of your liking (mine was "CloseModel2"). Then scroll down until you see where "CloseProcess:" is, and as with the Sega Model 3, create a custom exit which looks somewhat like this:

CloseModel2: (or whatever name ya chose)
{
Setkeydelay, 100, 100
Send, {F2}
Sleep, 1000 (or however long you would like for the test menu to stay up before the emu is exited)
Send, {Alt down}{F4}{Alt up}
Return
}

By doing this, you should never have a problem with the centering spring effect of Daytona USA, or any of its clones, continue after exiting the emulator, so that it's effects won't interfere with any other settings with other games.

I hope this will help anyone who will need it in the future :)

LC
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 02:27:34 pm by thurmansevolution »