Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I hate painting  (Read 2333 times)

kuehnau

• Trade Count: (0)
I hate painting
« on: August 27, 2013, 03:09:05 pm »
I wasn't sure where this would fall category wise, so I made a guess and chose this forum. As some people know I got a banged up Taito cabinet with laminate on it. I ripped the laminate off and sanded down the cabinet.

The night before last I put 3 coats of primer on it and last night 2 coats of "flat" black paint. It looked good last night but when I woke up I was pretty mad. The bugs decided to have a paint party and I had dead bugs all over the cabinet. In one spot it looked like something big landed in the paint and struggled to get free, messing up paint even more.

I took the paint off the monitor glass mounts and the tape peeled off the paint around the brackets, messing up the area around it.

Needless to say right now I'm pretty pissed off. Any advice?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 03:16:27 pm by kuehnau »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:15:07 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
Re: I hate painting
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 03:57:48 pm »
sand it to the primer, repaint, and spray some bug spray?  :cheers:
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

marioxb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2024, 01:54:31 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 04:13:05 pm »
No advise, but that really sucks! I am looking to do some painting in my garage eventually and I never even considered bugs!

Dammit that really sucks! What do people do to avoid these stupid things? I don't have a "workshop" or anything fancy, just a plain old garage that normally has two cars in it.

kuehnau

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 04:16:45 pm »
I am going to be re-sanding and then either waiting until colder weather or spraying the garage down with some home defense spray.

TKW4rr10r

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2017, 01:10:01 pm
  • Oh no, he's holding power tools!
    • What I'm selling / looking for:
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 04:36:02 pm »
I am going to be re-sanding and then either waiting until colder weather or spraying the garage down with some home defense spray.

Definitely go with the defense spray. Then try again in a couple days. I wouldn't wait until colder weather since some paints don't like the drop in temps.

Future Projects: Galaxian Anniversary, Mario VS DK, Rebirth
What I'm selling / looking for

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 04:32:11 pm
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 05:23:39 pm »
What do people do to avoid these stupid things?

Paint indoors. In an unventilated small room. Filled with infants and pregnant women.

kuehnau

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 10:57:26 pm »
An update - Today I went out into the garage to start on sanding again and I noticed it wasn't sanding very good. I looked at the can of paint I bought and it sure was "flat black" and on the bottom of the can it said "enamel", I am guessing that the enamel is designed to be more protective. Looks like I done ---fouled up beyond all recognition--- up.

So what's a good way to remove flat black enamel paint?

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 02:23:22 am »
     Paint stripper, and then neutralize with water....If the edges of the cab are all dry and cracked, rub some fibreglass resin across it pushing it in with your thumb [makes for really nice finished edges[make sure you know how to kick it proper, or you will have a sticky mess. Sand prime[sand and reprime again, if not flat]  repaint.

thurmansevolution

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2013, 07:19:53 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 02:44:45 am »
Just throwing in my two cents -

Normally you could use some medium grit sandpaper (around 100) and just "scuff" up the top layer of paint. Then add one coat of primer, and then reapply the coat of enamel.

Always worked for me  :cheers:

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 03:04:14 am »
    If your going to use the same paint, Yes that does work.... Id use 400 grit though, less prone to scratces.

kuehnau

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 04:22:55 am »
Just throwing in my two cents -

Normally you could use some medium grit sandpaper (around 100) and just "scuff" up the top layer of paint. Then add one coat of primer, and then reapply the coat of enamel.

Always worked for me  :cheers:

I actually decided to change the paint colors and stuff so I don't know how well that'd turn out. I guess I could just sand it all, but people are saying it's a huge pain in the ass to do. I am going to pick up a belt sander this week I think.

TKW4rr10r

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2017, 01:10:01 pm
  • Oh no, he's holding power tools!
    • What I'm selling / looking for:
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 06:07:37 am »
A belt sander will most likely cause more damage you'll try to cover up with paint later. I'd go with the previous suggestion of paint stripper. Get a bottle of citris-stip at the local hardware store. Stuff works wonders. My friend's old Taito cab had some awful bright yellow enamel all over it (coin door, control panel, everything). This stuff ate it right off. Worst case we needed to do two applications on some areas. IF used correctly a big bottle lasts a long time. It will make less then a mess in the garage then belt sanding, as well, so no dust to worry about messing up the next attempt. Less elbow geese and you'll have a flat surface to try again on.

Future Projects: Galaxian Anniversary, Mario VS DK, Rebirth
What I'm selling / looking for

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:55:58 pm
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 12:36:21 pm »
What do people do to avoid these stupid things?

Paint indoors. In an unventilated small room. Filled with infants and pregnant women.
+1

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 02:10:57 pm »
       On the subject of bugs, Build a booth out of plastic sheet, Scrap wood and duck tape [cost around 20.00 us] and before you paint fog your yard starting upwind from your booth with 2 cans of bug spray,[ spray it down torwards the grass] working towards the booth, this will keep them away about an hour, long enough to get the paint on, if you work fast.

kuehnau

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 12:11:56 am »
I talked with my leadman at work who does stuff similar but not exactly like this (none of it's arcade based) and he said if I spray down the garage with Home Defense Max it should be good for awhile. Actually I'll be spraying the whole outside of the house and around the windows and such.

Right now I am in the process of sanding off the old paint, but I decided to go in a different direction...

I was at a local bar today and they had a Ms.Pac-Man cabinet there, which was clearly not originally a Ms.Pac-Man cabinet, but something modified. Anyways it had some of that fake wood siding on it, that looks like oak or something and it looked pretty sharp.

I decided I wanted to go with something like that, but I am having a hard time finding a place that might sells sheets of something like Woodgrain Vinyl Laminate or something similar that'd look good on there. What I'd like to do is glue and bolt the stuff on the sides of the cabinet and then just cut right around the edge of the cabinet.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this, where I could get it or what to look for?

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2013, 12:36:51 am »
    Seeing how the cab originaly had laminate on it this would be a good choice, Your local hardware store can special order it for you, and a laminate trimmer, [a small router] is awsome for cutting... I must say here though, if that cab diddnt originally have laminate on it, you would have ran into trouble with this idea, because the extra thickness of the laminate would make the side too thick, and the T moulding would come up short, leaving a funny looking edge.,

kuehnau

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2013, 03:12:52 am »
    Seeing how the cab originaly had laminate on it this would be a good choice, Your local hardware store can special order it for you, and a laminate trimmer, [a small router] is awsome for cutting... I must say here though, if that cab diddnt originally have laminate on it, you would have ran into trouble with this idea, because the extra thickness of the laminate would make the side too thick, and the T moulding would come up short, leaving a funny looking edge.,

It was originally a Taito cabinet with plain red laminate on it. When I pulled the laminate off, you could see some of the original Taito art under it. So I don't know to be honest. Judging from the color of the art and design it was originally a: Tin Star, Elevator Action or Wild Western cabinet.

I don't know anything about these games or if Taito cabinets originally came with laminate on them or not. 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 03:16:55 am by kuehnau »

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2013, 03:45:25 am »
   If there was art under the laminate, Id look at the "T" closely has it beem trimmed or routered, careful measurements will tell the story... Sounds like somebody covered it at one time, good news for you cause it probably protected the cab sides. Stripper will remove the glue [use a new sharp putty knife to scrape] Paint sounds like a good choice....Edit, a direct drive orbital sander [not a random] w/36 grit would be the best tool for removing the glue,If it done evenly and dont dig the glue off. its a slow prosess otherwise.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 04:04:13 am by jennifer »

kuehnau

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2013, 06:39:40 am »
   If there was art under the laminate, Id look at the "T" closely has it beem trimmed or routered, careful measurements will tell the story... Sounds like somebody covered it at one time, good news for you cause it probably protected the cab sides. Stripper will remove the glue [use a new sharp putty knife to scrape] Paint sounds like a good choice....Edit, a direct drive orbital sander [not a random] w/36 grit would be the best tool for removing the glue,If it done evenly and dont dig the glue off. its a slow prosess otherwise.

No, this was sanded once before, the art is gone now, now I am trying to clean up my own mess. Thanks for the insight though.