Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Ridge Racer - I don't get it.  (Read 2531 times)

Fursphere

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:15:39 pm
Ridge Racer - I don't get it.
« on: August 25, 2013, 08:15:29 pm »
What is the attraction to Ridge Racer (MAME version I guess).  What am I not getting about this game.

Sure, its fun - but its only one track, one car, and a pretty short "play per quarter" experience (although I don't what what arcade driving game that isn't a quarter eater...).   

I remember play the crap out of the Playstation version of Ridge Racer when I was a teenager - but it had lots of cars to unlock, and the course to drive backwards (I think).   The arcade version has none of this that I'm aware of - or am I totally missing something?

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:54:06 am
Re: Ridge Racer - I don't get it.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 08:56:58 pm »
I dunno, but I've spent entire evenings playing that same track trying to get first place.
I can guarantee that my driving cab has logged more hours of Ridge Racer 2 and Rave Racer (in Viva Nonno emulator) than any other arcade game.

The control: The easy arcade drifting just strikes a nerve with me and feels just perfect.

The Track: I like that the track doesn't seem hard, but requires near perfection to come in first on the intermediate and expert levels.

The Music: The music gets me hyped like no other game.

Something about having one track and having to be perfect on it is more appealing to me than having a bunch of tracks that I forget about after I "beat them".  This game makes me frustrated, but lets me get close enough to succeeding that I always have to go again.

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 08:15:07 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 01:03:15 pm »
I dunno, but I've spent entire evenings playing that same track trying to get first place.
I can guarantee that my driving cab has logged more hours of Ridge Racer 2 and Rave Racer (in Viva Nonno emulator) than any other arcade game.

The control: The easy arcade drifting just strikes a nerve with me and feels just perfect.

The Track: I like that the track doesn't seem hard, but requires near perfection to come in first on the intermediate and expert levels.

The Music: The music gets me hyped like no other game.

Something about having one track and having to be perfect on it is more appealing to me than having a bunch of tracks that I forget about after I "beat them".  This game makes me frustrated, but lets me get close enough to succeeding that I always have to go again.

I am literally struggling to find anything meaningful to add to this post. Badmouth hit the nail on the head 200%!!! That one track will have you playing for hours once you get in the zone. Every attempt becomes more addicting and you get the urge to become better and shave off more time.

The only thing I would say is I don't like the drifting quite as much as Rave Racer's drifting, which is nothing short of sublime, and is second only to Ridge Racer V. :)

vandale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2024, 06:15:03 am
  • Id 10 and t error
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 07:14:05 am »
Least played game in my cab, would be better if linked I think

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 05:56:33 pm »
It's namco's answer to Drift-style racing, for the Daytona crowd that want a change of scenery.  ;)