Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: It's in better hands! As-of-yet Unthemed Weecade.  (Read 23986 times)

mcseforsale

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 18, 2023, 08:49:34 am
  • Creepy Mario Dude
It's in better hands! As-of-yet Unthemed Weecade.
« on: August 21, 2013, 10:29:53 am »
Jumping on the bandwagon here.  Here's my take on a wee-cade clone.  I can see what a PITA this is going to be with it's size, but I'm ready.  I'm not sure what the end game will be for this.  I might set this up as a test machine with my crappy 17" scratched Dell monitor to do things like beaglebone or some other android/linux solution.  All of my Dell Optiplex'es have died or otherwise are no good, so I'll be looking into alternatives.

Or, if someone offers, I'll sell it.  It's so small (and I don't have a table saw) that I couldn't use any straight edges, etc.  I'm also going to do some plexi bending and maybe some other DIY stuff like controller hacks, etc.  So, this might just end up with a name and be kept as a pet.   

And, away we go!

Layout of 1/2" dowel cleats

pinned with brads and glued.  I didn't route out pockets for the cleats, so I hope it's strong enough.  I got done and realized I was using Elmer's wood glue, not the Gorilla glue that was sitting right behind it.  :blowup:  Oh, well..

So, I'll probably have a lot of questions when putting this thing together.  Mostly about hardware, such as which joysticks are cheap and low-profile, etc.

AJ
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 10:40:54 am by mcseforsale »

jdbailey1206

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
Re: Oh, crap! What now?!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 11:36:09 am »
AJ.  I am just going to give you a heads up.  HAVE PATIENCE.  I wish I would have started with a full cab.  When I get home I will show you just how much space you have to work with.  I pray you have small girly hands.  It helps.   :lol  Either way.  I've been working on mine for over a year due to doing things twice.  It's not easy by any means.  Make sure you plan ahead because you don't have a lot of rooms for mistakes.  Always measure three times and measure again.  In the end it will feel like an orgy of parts.  You don't know where one piece ends and the next one begins.  And be ready to order special parts like micro atx psu's and power cords that have 90 degree angles.  It helps to reference other weecade builds.

Okay.  Enough of the shock stories.  Have fun and don't be afraid to experiment and get creative.  It will help with production.

PS Just think of this build as playing level 9 of Tetris.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 11:45:58 am by jdbailey1206 »

Maximus

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2017, 05:32:05 pm
  • Plans are for fools!!!!
    • Arcade Icons
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 11:51:55 am »
I pray you have small girly hands.

Smell like cabbage

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 11:57:14 am »

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 12:06:37 pm »
I've built a few of these, so here are a few pointers.

You don't need to route channels for the batons, once you add the monitor brace, the thing is as stout as an ox.

Your headaches will come with the jstiks and buttons in regards to clearance from the CP to the base, whatever components you have underneath them will probably hinder the CP from sitting flush.  So make sure you have the lower profiles parts towards the front.

If you plan on securing the CP to with 4 screws to the batons, make sure you've placed the side screws so they don't interfere with the screws that will go through the CP.  Mark those so you will have 4 screws (2 on each side) aligned and centered on the CP.

Don't get too far w/o cutting your t-molding slot.

Get you a KADE instead of controller hacks, it works with PC and alot of consoles.

I'll let you ponder on this, and i'll fill you in on more stuff as you go.

FYI, you dont need girly hands to do this...Work smarter not harder...Weecade builders tool of choice..

http://www.tightfittools.net/

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17466&site=ROCKLER

These 2 tools will help you immensely.  I recommend them both.

:cheers:

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 12:16:47 pm »

Seriously.  I installed my speakers yesterday and needed something like this.  I, of course, used this.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 12:20:44 pm »

Seriously.  I installed my speakers yesterday and needed something like this.  I, of course, used this.

That works too, this is just a bit less wrist intensive, with all the screws he  will have to deal with, this will make things a bit easier.

It even comes with the correct drill bit for pilot holes....very versatile.  I used to strip screws all the time, with this thing....i havent stripped any.

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 12:58:54 pm »
AJ.  I am just going to give you a heads up.  HAVE PATIENCE.  I wish I would have started with a full cab.  When I get home I will show you just how much space you have to work with.  I pray you have small girly hands.  It helps.   :lol  Either way.  I've been working on mine for over a year due to doing things twice.  It's not easy by any means.  Make sure you plan ahead because you don't have a lot of rooms for mistakes.  Always measure three times and measure again.  In the end it will feel like an orgy of parts.  You don't know where one piece ends and the next one begins.  And be ready to order special parts like micro atx psu's and power cords that have 90 degree angles.  It helps to reference other weecade builds.

Okay.  Enough of the shock stories.  Have fun and don't be afraid to experiment and get creative.  It will help with production.

PS Just think of this build as playing level 9 of Tetris.

Sadly (or fortunately) I wear a XXL glove, so this ought to be fun.  But, there's no child labor laws under my roof and I happen to have a 9 and 6 year old handy (the 14 year old is a facebook ghost).

As for the build itself, I'm trying to not take this one so seriously.  I made some templates for the sides, but everything else, I'm free cutting.  I'm actually tossing around the idea of doing an entire bartop with no power tools, but that will have to wait.

I must say, I'm really interested in the beaglebone black for this one.  They now offer a VGA cape, so that may do.  Although, I'd have to hide some bricks in there somewhere so that aggressive play doesn't result in throwing the thing by accident. :P

AJ

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 03:43:10 pm »
They now offer a VGA cape, so that may do. 

VGA cape?

***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 01:22:41 pm »
Little progress today.  Still working on sourcing the computer...I might still go with the beaglebone. 

Got the thing stood up square using the bottom panel.  This will allow me to fine-tune/sand all the other parts into their correct sizes.  I'll be cutting the t-molding slots once all of the panels are sized correctly.

I'm going to hinge the CP somehow, so I glued the front to the CP top so that I can start profiling the front of the CP and get it ready for bent plexi.

Test fit the CP.  Needs a little work with the sander on one of the edges, but otherwise looks pretty good:

Dr. K can is for scale:

I'll be pondering all of the advice that I've gotten so far.  I knew going into this that it would be an exercise in stuffing 10 lbs of crap in a 5 lb bag.

AJ

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 01:45:14 pm »
I'll be pondering all of the advice that I've gotten so far.  I knew going into this that it would be an exercise in stuffing 10 lbs of crap in a 5 lb bag.

:lol  Ten pound bag.  Just an idea but I used these for hinges.  Seem to be strudy enough.  With the extra weight of the CP I am going to glue mine in.

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 12:32:00 pm »
Other stuff got in the way this weekend so only some small updates.  Rounded the CP, drilled the speaker panel and made the bezel.

I'll be working on art this week.  Still have no idea what the theme will be.

AJ

sabreerbasAlpha

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2017, 07:28:29 pm
  • Remember those big 10ps?
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 12:55:30 pm »
I have to admit I've got a soft spot for the Wee Cade and yours is looking pretty damn cool to be honest mate. Are you considering a front end or game board.

Again its looking sweet.  :cheers:

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 01:25:11 pm »
That *IS* the question of the day.  I'm tossing around the idea of a beaglebone running some form of linux, or maybe a crappy old P4.  However, both of my stashed Dell Optiplexes were bad, so I'm a little fecked right now.  Plus, the monitor I have has a deep gouge in the screen.

Not sure about the xx in 1 boards.  I've heard a lot of bad things about them.  HOWEVER, this is what it is.  I don't want a 17" wee cade with a quad core 8GB RAM monster in it with a lightgun hanging off the side.  Donkey Kong and DigDug are perfectly fine for this one.

AJ

I have to admit I've got a soft spot for the Wee Cade and yours is looking pretty damn cool to be honest mate. Are you considering a front end or game board.

Rick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2013, 01:29:59 pm »
I don't want a 17" wee cade with a quad core 8GB RAM monster in it with a lightgun hanging off the side.

Hmm! That actually sounds pretty awesome to me.

:D

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2013, 11:09:10 am »
Slow going on this one, what with kids' school functions and (now) cub scouts.  But, I managed an hour or so out there last night.

I decided that the speaker panel will be one of the permanent cross-members of the cab, so that was gorilla glued in:

Then I decided to make the cab more accessible, I'd glue the top and a small piece of MDF for the back to make a "cap" of sorts that will hinge up to access the speakers and marquee light.  Both the small back panel and the top have the angle cut into them, so they glue flush perfectly.  Pinned them together temporarily with 6p finish nails that I'll remove tonight now that the glue is dry.  Then I'll put a radius on it to soften it to the back.

Here's a back shot:

I also screwed the floor into the sides with finish washers and 1" coarse thread screws.  I don't have a pic of this, but the washers look like these:

Got the speakers sorted, but I don't have any computer gear for this yet.  I think it's a seller, so I may do an xx-in-1 card (delivering it separate from the cab) and keep it simple.

AJ

sabreerbasAlpha

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2017, 07:28:29 pm
  • Remember those big 10ps?
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2013, 12:16:49 pm »
That *IS* the question of the day.  I'm tossing around the idea of a beaglebone running some form of linux, or maybe a crappy old P4.  However, both of my stashed Dell Optiplexes were bad, so I'm a little fecked right now.  Plus, the monitor I have has a deep gouge in the screen.

Not sure about the xx in 1 boards.  I've heard a lot of bad things about them.  HOWEVER, this is what it is.  I don't want a 17" wee cade with a quad core 8GB RAM monster in it with a lightgun hanging off the side.  Donkey Kong and DigDug are perfectly fine for this one.

AJ

Well as I see its a seller then I guess you will be going down the xx in 1 game board. I recommend the 138 in 1 board myself. Although once its together and finished I bet your going to want to keep it.  :dizzy:

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
Re: Oh, crap! What now?! As-of-yet Unthemed Weecade
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2013, 10:53:09 pm »
Still struggling with the art and theme, but I got some work done tonight.  Figured out how I'm going to screw it all together while perusing the isles of HomeDepot.  I went with some #6 cap screws and blind nuts to secure the top cap.  I'll probably carry this throughout the build since it's solid and these panels won't be structural once the monitor mount is in.  So, I broke out the forstner bits and got to work:

Blind nuts:

Closeup of bolt head detail.  I'm going to press some washers into the counter-sinks once it's painted.  I'll be keeping the satin steel of the bolts.

Still trying to figure out a theme...bouncing between Harley Davidson and some machinery artwork.  We'll see.  Neighbor's still interested in a cab and just bought a Wide Glide, so perhaps I can tempt him.   :cheers:

AJ

TheDude

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 17, 2017, 03:02:28 pm
  • Bartops all the way !
    • BARTOPMANIA
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2013, 08:36:48 am »
A weecade clone done right  :applaud:

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2013, 11:58:25 am »
Neighbor's still interested in a cab and just bought a Wide Glide, so perhaps I can tempt him.   :cheers:

Get some mad skills going, and see if he's down for a trade!

;)

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2013, 12:18:12 pm »
Neighbor's still interested in a cab and just bought a Wide Glide, so perhaps I can tempt him.   :cheers:

Get some mad skills going, and see if he's down for a trade!

;)

That's funny.  I've been staring at this thing for over a week saying "I have no idea what I'm doing".

:laugh:
AJ

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2013, 12:22:51 pm »
That's funny.  I've been staring at this thing for over a week saying "I have no idea what I'm doing".

Dude. I have a Doom themed arcade cabinet that you should meet. Sometimes, I kick myself for not starting out simpler. I could be playing video games right now. (Seriously, it's been three years.)

:)

Your work looks really, really good. You should be pretty proud.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2013, 01:23:20 pm »
I like the way you secured the top very neat looking, any reason you just didnt screw it in from the inside?

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2013, 01:59:28 pm »
I glued the speaker panel in as a structural member so, I needed a way to get to the speakers and stuff.  I was going to glue it, but I just want to be able to access as much as possible. 

Plus, these damn things are so little.

AJ

I like the way you secured the top very neat looking, any reason you just didnt screw it in from the inside?

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2013, 03:17:01 pm »
MMMHMMMM

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2013, 10:23:12 am »
Yeah, those are cool.  Maybe if I build another one, I'll pick that bad boy up.

I'm a fastener dude, though.  I think the right fasteners are actually cool to look at.  I'm weird that way.  I think one of the awesomest things ever is a large turbofan engine with all them fasteners and safety wires.

AJ

MMMHMMMM

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2013, 10:28:30 am »
Got a little more done last night.  Plugged the saw into the extension cord out in the driveway during an electrical storm and did the final cut on the back.  Neighbor was laughing at me.   :laugh2:

Put the back on:

Back view:

Closeup view.  Went a little deep on the first hole, by accident, so I followed through on the rest of the 3 other holes.  No biggie since this is the back. 

I was a little pissed when I noticed that there was a bow in one of my 1/2" x 1/2" dowel cleats causing the base to be raised about 1/16" higher on one side.  Still deciding if I want to get out the chisels and trim it a little.  Meh, I'll probably just leave it.

bottom is 1/16" higher on the right in this pic:

AJ

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 21, 2023, 07:12:25 pm
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2013, 10:58:42 am »
Yea that is a terrible mess up. Burn it and start over  >:D

Seriously though, good work so far man. Bartops are such a pain, I made too many of them and found that it was easier to make Half-Size ones (and they get more money).

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2013, 12:09:06 pm »
Got any pics of your half-sized ones?  I sourced a 15" LCD and I'm looking for a cool project for it.

AJ

Seriously though, good work so far man. Bartops are such a pain, I made too many of them and found that it was easier to make Half-Size ones (and they get more money).

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 21, 2023, 07:12:25 pm
  • Bopity Boopy

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2013, 08:26:23 pm »
Those halfsies are cool! 

Got a little work done tonight.  Hand routed the bezel backside.

Had to give it a little hand-shandy to get it to fit.  Still needs some hand sanding, but it'll fit snug by tonight.  Then, I'll decide if I'm going the route of the VESA mount, or just the bezel mount.

Picked up a 17" monitor for $12.91 at the local Goodwill on the way home:

$12.91 baby!

There's just a couple of small dark spot that shouldn't matter.  Color's good, despite the Android wash-out.

AJ

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2013, 10:41:06 am »
Got any pics of your half-sized ones?  I sourced a 15" LCD and I'm looking for a cool project for it.

AJ

Yes, this should be your next project....

Much easier to build as you have similar full cab space to work with.....

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2013, 11:25:01 am »
First of the monitor mounts sorted.  This one is a bezel with the monitor mounted in the back and can be covered with thin smoked plexi.  Basically 1/2" dowel rods and 3/4" x 1/2" x 1/16" aluminum L-chanel with 1" wood screws and finish washers throughout.

Shot of entire mount.  If I was to use this, the metal would be removed before paint then re-installed so it retains its finish:

The other mount in the running is a basic MDF board with the VESA holes mounting the monitor, then a painted plexi bezel over the top. 

Pluses and minuses to them are:

MDF Bezel:

becomes part of the cabinet structure and becomes a rather large cross-brace for the little guy....strong as hell
1/2" MDF isn't that strong, so there's some buckling that I need to work out with the sander
it's already cut

VESA brace:
Never as accurate as I want them to be
Doesn't need to be as accurate as I want them to be
ease of installation.

Hmmm.  decisions decisions.

AJ

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
Re: Oh, crap! What now?! Finishing started...
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2013, 01:39:04 pm »
Puttied the holes from the glue-up last night...

Couple of dents filled as well:

Waiting 'til this AM and final sanded the radii and filler down to where I want it.

Then...MDF armoring.  Tools of the trade:

All cut and/or shaped edges armored.  Once this is dry, I think I'll get a coat of primer on it today. 

AJ

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2013, 02:26:34 pm »
Then...MDF armoring. All cut and/or shaped edges armored. Once this is dry, I think I'll get a coat of primer on it today.

Do you mix your wood glue with water? If so, what's your preferred split? Does this help keep the furring down a bit? I've noticed everywhere that I've shaped the edges on the Turkey Puncher cabinet, I've got this fuzzy crap everywhere.

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2013, 03:45:21 pm »
Then...MDF armoring. All cut and/or shaped edges armored. Once this is dry, I think I'll get a coat of primer on it today.

Do you mix your wood glue with water? If so, what's your preferred split? Does this help keep the furring down a bit? I've noticed everywhere that I've shaped the edges on the Turkey Puncher cabinet, I've got this fuzzy crap everywhere.

Yes.  Very diluted.  So, it seeps into the wood.  Then the MDF will feel a bit "grainy" or rough.  Using some 220 will result in a very tough shell that will sand VERY smooth and hard.

Here's my mixture:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,122362.msg1310052.html#msg1310052

AJ

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2013, 04:07:47 pm »
Yes.  Very diluted.  So, it seeps into the wood.  Then the MDF will feel a bit "grainy" or rough.  Using some 220 will result in a very tough shell that will sand VERY smooth and hard. Here's my mixture: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,122362.msg1310052.html#msg1310052

Awesome, thank you!

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2013, 04:47:36 pm »
Finish sanding completed on main body of cab.  All edges have been armored and sanded.  For those who are curious, the glue/water will penetrate any shaped pieces of MDF (in my case, the rounded edges) and then will harden.  Once sanded, they will be as smooth as the uncut face of the MDF.  So, that shaggy sanded feeling on the shaped edges is replaced with hard and smooth, rather than that felt-y feeling.

Back side:

Full shot.  Just need to sort the monitor mount and then save up my milk money for art and the xx-in-1 card and other electronics.

AJ

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2013, 08:14:23 pm »
Nice work... :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

mann0mann

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2016, 12:31:54 pm
  • Still looking for the right project...
    • My Hobby Store
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2013, 04:25:57 am »
Looks great!  Can't wait for you to get the monitor mounted and artwork, so then you can sell it to me.   :lol