Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Patendo - upright arcade based on Project Arcade 2  (Read 4242 times)

patstg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2016, 02:48:39 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Patendo - upright arcade based on Project Arcade 2
« on: August 21, 2013, 01:09:52 am »
Patendo (a portmanteau of Pat (that's me) and Nintendo -- plus it sounds like Pretendo which I also like).
As a kid, I loved my original NES console. The color scheme and graphics should be a tribute to that original machine.

This is my first cabinet. While I have a decent amount of wood working experience and am pretty handy in general, but this is the biggest project I've taken on in years. The goal is for basic MAME usage, including all the old NES games I love. Simple set of controls: joysticks, buttons, spinner, trackball.

I'm basing the cabinet off the Project Arcade 2 plans (only minor tweaks) with a completely custom control panel design.

I've spent a few afternoons on the build already and have the wood all cut up and laminated. You can see the colors here -- light gray on the top and dark gray on the bottom, just like the original NES

The control panel is a 4 player control panel with trackball and spinner. 2 Ultimarc Ultrastiks and 2 Ultimarc mag stick plus. Here's is the wood before laminate

The plan for the colors of the control panel is here
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxoVfJq3P2-bbXlVb0FHTURSWXc/edit?usp=sharing

I made full plans for the control panel, including a full page, poster style template
PNG: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxoVfJq3P2-bM0RUV2xobFcwSkU/edit?usp=sharing
SVG (for Inkscape): https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxoVfJq3P2-bZUxEaDZ1YmRHTFE/edit?usp=sharing
Plans in SVG: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxoVfJq3P2-bc1Ayd1hUbGs3MHM/edit?usp=sharing

I've already had a few oops moments and a few good ideas, but I'll follow up here with some of those soon.

Wish me luck!

Seith

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2018, 10:50:41 am
Re: Patendo - upright arcade based on Project Arcade 2
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 11:04:09 am »
Looks like a good start!

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 11:34:12 am »
Don't angle the P3 & P4 joystick bases like Saint did in the book!!
 :soapbox:

patstg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 06:10:40 pm »
Really? Why not angle them?

My plan is currently to have players 3 and 4 be at 45 degrees relative to the screen and exactly parallel to the line of the control panel.

Looking back at the 4 player gauntlet control panel, they did angle the players on the ends
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=AqHiyYGBJX5FlM&tbnid=l67vhRxUBuBjnM:&ved=0CAIQjBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.findarcademachines.com%2Fimages2%2FGauntlet-Control-Panel.jpg&ei=q4AaUtn9AeTg2gWt3YCwCQ&bvm=bv.51156542,d.b2I&psig=AFQjCNGm-3f5jy_9_9L9bZnihHuJyOBkwg&ust=1377554943493685

Is there some received wisdom on the boards about this?

UFO

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 22, 2022, 06:37:12 pm
  • Im nearly out of unproductive things to do at work
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 06:39:45 pm »
I don't have a 4 player setup myself, but there is lots of advice on here that say its just a bad idea.

In summary, people tend to stand toward the screen, and the joysticks are just a nightmare to play with.

You wont get many guys on here with angled joystick setups on 4 player, and less who agree its a good idea.

Have a search around ...

sabreerbasAlpha

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2017, 07:28:29 pm
  • Remember those big 10ps?
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 07:53:24 pm »
I don't have a 4 player setup myself, but there is lots of advice on here that say its just a bad idea.

In summary, people tend to stand toward the screen, and the joysticks are just a nightmare to play with.

You wont get many guys on here with angled joystick setups on 4 player, and less who agree its a good idea.

Have a search around ...
+1

As its already been said. its not natural to stand side on or as mentioned 45 degrees rotated towards the screen. Its far more natural to stand straight on to an object in this case it will be the screen. Take a look at that 1st player button layout on the left. Now imagine standing straight onto the screen and the awkward angle the right arm is going to be at to play and rest your palm near the buttons.

Its your build so you do what ever makes you happy. But trust me non angled and straight on is better. Unless your going to be P1 every time In that case crack on. mate.

All that said good luck and don't forget to post your progress. The above is not a criticism just an observation from years of a completely misplaced youth.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:06:08 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 08:25:18 pm »

The latest knock-down-drag-out discussion on the topic is here.

Scott

sabreerbasAlpha

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2017, 07:28:29 pm
  • Remember those big 10ps?
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 09:45:36 pm »

The latest knock-down-drag-out discussion on the topic is here.

Scott

PL1 Beat me to it. I voted a while back and it was a resounding lead for straight on. Take a look. But like I said. its your build mate just have fun with it. But do listen to the voices on these boards. There are some super talented and experienced people here my friend & The advice is usually bang on.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 09:49:09 pm »
Really? Why not angle them?

My plan is currently to have players 3 and 4 be at 45 degrees relative to the screen and exactly parallel to the line of the control panel.

Looking back at the 4 player gauntlet control panel, they did angle the players on the ends
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=AqHiyYGBJX5FlM&tbnid=l67vhRxUBuBjnM:&ved=0CAIQjBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.findarcademachines.com%2Fimages2%2FGauntlet-Control-Panel.jpg&ei=q4AaUtn9AeTg2gWt3YCwCQ&bvm=bv.51156542,d.b2I&psig=AFQjCNGm-3f5jy_9_9L9bZnihHuJyOBkwg&ust=1377554943493685

Although the players stood at an angle on Gauntlet and most 4 player games,
the joysticks were still oriented so UP was parallel with the screen.
Notice the joystick mounting bolts on the Gauntlet control panel you linked to.  The player is angled, but the joystick isn't.
This is how it was done on nearly all 4 player games.  There are a few that angled them, but not more than a few.

Note where UP is labeled on Gauntlet Dark Legends.
http://gamesdbase.com/Media/SYSTEM/Arcade/CP/big/Gauntlet_Dark_Legacy_-_1999_-_Midway_Games.jpg

Having them this way just works.  Give it a try both ways and see for yourself.
A few people have angled them and regret it.  A few people have said they were perfectly happy with them angled.
Most just do it right to begin with and don't angle them.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 09:55:46 pm by BadMouth »

patstg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 12:48:34 am »
Thanks for the tips on this! I didn't even think to search on this question before. It seems like forward towards the screen is the better default to start with and I can always rotate it back later if I want to try out that configuration.

I just played with my plans and it looks like I can rotate these 45 without moving anything else (which is good because I already have all the holes drilled and the CP laminated).

I actually had to add extra insert nuts once already (told you I made some mistakes).

Here are the insert nuts for one of the player 1/2 joysticks

But turns out I did it 90 degrees off (it's right in the plans, I just messed up with laying out the holes)

I was able to just add more insert nuts (I left the old ones in because I thought they were structurally better than a wood filler hole)

However, I now have the laminate on the top and I've really worried about accidentally drilling through it, which is what I did here (before the laminate was on):

Guess I'll be careful :-)

EMDB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2023, 09:18:51 am
  • Project RetroCade
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 05:41:21 am »
But turns out I did it 90 degrees off (it's right in the plans, I just messed up with laying out the holes)
You could have just turned the PCB of the Ultrastick 90 degrees to compensate  ::)