Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcade/PC items for sale (Cheap desktops/laptops - Windows 10 ready)  (Read 107926 times)

DocHolliday

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2017, 11:59:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Arcade/PC items for sale
« Reply #240 on: April 16, 2015, 11:44:29 am »

Thanks a bunch man, i appreciate the answers!

I definitely will pop an r7 250 in there at some point then, at 60-70 bucks seems to be worth it. Hopefully the PSU it comes with can handle it, i don't see why not. I would think even 300W PSU could handle this system.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, and in pm, that video card will work fine in these pc's.   Myself and several friends have the r7 250 installed already and it works fine.   Feel free to ask again if it will work though.   The guys will start lumping you in with PBJ asking about Gauntlet Legends.  haha

Dude, i made ONE post asking a few questions that i didn't PM you about and didn't see in the thread already. Which seemed to annoy you judging by your passive aggressive attitude and jab even though i was extremely polite with you. maybe i am reading to much into it, but since i am new here i don't know members personalities yet, so it's hard to tell whose serious and whose not. 

Also i am reading everywhere that the recommended PSU is 300-350 for this GPU and you are saying it's okay to use less than that. I hope you can understand why i would want to double check with a second opinion on that one.

Yeah you're reading too much into it.   I was responding to you and joking with you about lumping you in with pbj, that's why I put the "haha" after it, to let you know it was a joke.

I know you're reading everywhere what the "recommended"  psu is for these cards.....read the reviews on them on amazon and newegg.  They work with psu's lower than that.   I bought them based on those reviews from other people, and from what I've seen, all those people were correct... they work fine with a power supply lower than the recommended.   They don't draw much power, which makes them perfect.   Small form factor cards that will run on these small power supplies.   

But what does my passive aggressive self know... haha   (this is a joke too, so don't get all worked up)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 11:49:01 am by DocHolliday »

j.fitzenr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 28, 2018, 05:07:01 pm
  • Don't Afraid to be Great
« Reply #241 on: April 16, 2015, 12:01:16 pm »
Can't wait to get mine in on monday. I had a couple questions if anyone is willing to help me out.

1- Can this run tekken tag? I would assume an r7 250 GPU would help with this, but i am new to MAME and was not sure

My goals are to play mostly 2d games.
MK 1,2,3 
SF 2 and third strike
2d beat em ups
Tekken 1,2,3 and tag
80's classics
And Blitz and MK4 would be a bonus.

Thanks again guys, really appreciate it

Joe

In a few days I'll be able to answer these even better when I finally find some time to get my modder set up (and other smarter people than me can already probably answer better) but with the exception of Blitz/MK4 and the HLSL issue, that list was pretty much 100% on my old first-gen core i3, integrated graphics POS budget laptop on 1.51.  (I played a LOT of TTT on that thing.)  The modder should handle that stuff like a champ, afaik.

magus90

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2019, 05:05:40 pm
  • New to MAME, can't wait to get my rig built
« Reply #242 on: April 16, 2015, 12:02:20 pm »

Thanks a bunch man, i appreciate the answers!

I definitely will pop an r7 250 in there at some point then, at 60-70 bucks seems to be worth it. Hopefully the PSU it comes with can handle it, i don't see why not. I would think even 300W PSU could handle this system.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, and in pm, that video card will work fine in these pc's.   Myself and several friends have the r7 250 installed already and it works fine.   Feel free to ask again if it will work though.   The guys will start lumping you in with PBJ asking about Gauntlet Legends.  haha

Dude, i made ONE post asking a few questions that i didn't PM you about and didn't see in the thread already. Which seemed to annoy you judging by your passive aggressive attitude and jab even though i was extremely polite with you. maybe i am reading to much into it, but since i am new here i don't know members personalities yet, so it's hard to tell whose serious and whose not. 

Also i am reading everywhere that the recommended PSU is 300-350 for this GPU and you are saying it's okay to use less than that. I hope you can understand why i would want to double check with a second opinion on that one.

Yeah you're reading too much into it.   I was responding to you and joking with you about lumping you in with pbj, that's why I put the "haha" after it, to let you know it was a joke.

I know you're reading everywhere what the "recommended"  psu is for these cards.....read the reviews on them on amazon and newegg.  They work with psu's lower than that.   I bought them based on those reviews from other people, and from what I've seen, all those people were correct... they work fine with a power supply lower than the recommended.   They don't draw much power, which makes them perfect.   Small form factor cards that will run on these small power supplies.   

But what does my passive aggressive self know... haha   (this is a joke too, so don't get all worked up)

Ah well then i am sorry man. It's tough with the internet to know what someones intentions are sometimes. Haha, could be laughing with me or at me with other members, ya know? Especially with you saying "as i have said before in this thread and PM" sounded like you were getting frustrated.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:48:25 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #243 on: April 16, 2015, 12:28:13 pm »
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #244 on: April 16, 2015, 01:11:18 pm »

You are reading too much into it.

The modders come with a 240W power supply. If you want to replace the power supply in it with a standard ATX one, you'll have to put the guts in a new case. Same thing goes if you want to put a full sized PCIe card in there. You either have to mode the case or get a 1/2 height card.

If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

magus90

• Offline Offline
« Reply #245 on: April 16, 2015, 01:45:47 pm »

You are reading too much into it.

The modders come with a 240W power supply. If you want to replace the power supply in it with a standard ATX one, you'll have to put the guts in a new case. Same thing goes if you want to put a full sized PCIe card in there. You either have to mode the case or get a 1/2 height card.

Thanks man. I appreciate it.especially the picture!

According to doc 240 is enough to power everything so I guess an r7 250 is in my future lol

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #246 on: April 16, 2015, 03:53:59 pm »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #247 on: April 16, 2015, 05:10:24 pm »
I dont get it.  ???

magus90

• Offline Offline
« Reply #248 on: April 16, 2015, 05:29:34 pm »

RyoriNoTetsujin

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 03:55:45 pm
« Reply #249 on: April 17, 2015, 11:29:06 am »
Hey folks with the Modder systems, just out of curiousity: what speed is the RAM onboard? DDR3-1066? 1333? Can't imagine it'd be 1600. 

Hopefully TK gets my set shipped today. Looking forward to this!  ;D

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #250 on: April 17, 2015, 11:30:10 am »
Hey folks with the Modder systems, just out of curiousity: what speed is the RAM onboard? DDR3-1066? 1333? Can't imagine it'd be 1600. 

PC3-10600

magus90

• Offline Offline
« Reply #251 on: April 18, 2015, 03:59:37 pm »

Same here man! Can't wait to get everything installed and programmed and test a few games out. Not coming until monday though! :(

I decided i will add a gpu after i at least try it out as is. Might not need it.

abispac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:01:09 pm
« Reply #252 on: April 20, 2015, 02:05:52 pm »
are you still taking orders? i sent a couple of pms and you did not answered them  :cheers:

RyoriNoTetsujin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 03:55:45 pm
« Reply #253 on: April 20, 2015, 10:42:26 pm »
My Modder systems arrived this afternoon, earlier than I expected. TK had said he'd get them shipped by Friday at the latest - he didn't even get a chance to send me tracking info. 

I won't get a chance to play with them until I'm back in town on the 30th, but so far this process has been an absolute pleasure.

magus90

• Offline Offline
« Reply #254 on: April 21, 2015, 12:42:15 pm »
Got my modder yesterday! Got everything all installed and set up and i was highly impressed.

It came in it's factory box, with a mouse and keyboard that were virtually brand new, as well as a brand new ethernet cable. Mine happened to be lenovo M series.

The PC itself looks great, minor scuffs and stuff but nothing crazy. It booted right up and has been able to play every rom i have thrown at it so far, the most intense being tekken tag. Will test others soon.

Extremely happy and for 125 shipped YOU CAN'T beat this deal. The CPU alone goes for that much. If you were hesitating, DON'T. Just buy one, you will not regret it.

Thanks TKwarrior

abispac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:01:09 pm
« Reply #255 on: April 22, 2015, 01:33:12 pm »
I feel like im being ignored, i know TKW4rr10r might be busy, but i saw some folks got theyr stuff in this days....anyone can give some kind of update, or tell  TKW4rr10r to check his PMs please :)  :cheers:

magus90

• Offline Offline
« Reply #256 on: April 22, 2015, 02:02:18 pm »
So after finally getting around to setting HLSL, the modder lags like crazy. I expected this though.

Do you guys know if a GPU would fix this? i was going to buy the R7 250. i assume it will run HLSL full speed since HLSL runs solely off the GPU.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #257 on: April 22, 2015, 02:10:50 pm »
So after finally getting around to setting HLSL, the modder lags like crazy. I expected this though.

Do you guys know if a GPU would fix this? i was going to buy the R7 250. i assume it will run HLSL full speed since HLSL runs solely off the GPU.

yeah, the GPU on board is great for MAME since the CPU does all the work. the r7 250 should be fine for HLSL but thats just a theoretical reply, I dont have the card to test it.

magus90

• Offline Offline
« Reply #258 on: April 22, 2015, 04:18:58 pm »

yeah, the GPU on board is great for MAME since the CPU does all the work. the r7 250 should be fine for HLSL but thats just a theoretical reply, I dont have the card to test it.

Thanks man. I would like to get the 6450 if possible as the r7 250 is $90 and the 6450 is only $35.

Does anyone know if the 6450 performs well with HLSL with 90's games like MK, SF2, double dragon, etc. ? Just trying to save some money if i can, i did some google searches but not much is coming up. I just need it for basic HLSL, all my other games play fine off the I5, just when HLSL is on it lags like crazy.

Will not be playing any newer games or any emulators besides MAME

Thanks again
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 05:58:26 pm by magus90 »

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
« Reply #259 on: April 23, 2015, 07:04:27 am »

Thanks man. I would like to get the 6450 if possible as the r7 250 is $90 and the 6450 is only $35.

Does anyone know if the 6450 performs well with HLSL with 90's games like MK, SF2, double dragon, etc. ? Just trying to save some money if i can, i did some google searches but not much is coming up. I just need it for basic HLSL, all my other games play fine off the I5, just when HLSL is on it lags like crazy.

Will not be playing any newer games or any emulators besides MAME

Thanksagain

If it helps I can run most non 3d games with Timothy Lotte's CRT shader on radeon 4650 and 3ghz celeron d on 64 bit Linux at 1280x1024 on Mame .157.
When I tried a game like Jojo's venture I was only getting about 80% speed with glsl turned on but all the classics are 100%.
I don't know how that translates into windows though the newest Mame uses glsl now.

I just ordered my modder.
I suspect it will be twice as fast as my current daily driver system which is an a10 amd setup.
Which is fine.
Its fast enough for my daily work and I don't want to play legends and golden t at my computer desk anyways.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #260 on: April 23, 2015, 07:57:09 am »
magus90, tell ya what. Get the $35 card. If its not good enough for you, I'll buy it off you for $35. Then I'll put it in my Plex server box to help with transcoding and to let who ever is staying in my guest room play slightly more modern games on that PC :)

Rick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
« Reply #261 on: April 23, 2015, 09:19:07 am »
I feel like im being ignored, i know TKW4rr10r might be busy, but i saw some folks got theyr stuff in this days....anyone can give some kind of update, or tell  TKW4rr10r to check his PMs please :)  :cheers:

I'm sure he's not ignoring you. I've sent a few PM's his way as well, and he hasn't had the opportunity to reply as yet. I'm pretty certain that this is taking a back burner to his fatherly duties - and sleep. Glorious, glorious sleep.

:D

DocHolliday

• Offline Offline
« Reply #262 on: April 23, 2015, 09:48:29 am »
I tested 3 cards on Street Fighter 4:

5450 - a slight improvement over the onboard graphics - Character movements still pretty slow in fighting sequences with all graphic options on.
6450 - an improvment over the 5450 - About 50% faster in fighting sequences, but still slower than it should be with all graphic options on
r7 250 - A big improvement - all fighting sequences were 100% full speed even with all graphics enabled.

Now granted, those tests were with the basic pc, not the modder (maybe the modder will run that 6450 better than the basic did).   Once I went through the testing on those cards when I bought modder pc's, I just went with the r7 250, and that's why I have told anyone who has asked to go with the r7 250, it's a better value than the 7750, and ran everything 100% so far that I have tried with no lagging.

My buddy's basic pc, I initially installed a 6450 for him, then told him to come over and try out the r7 250 when I got it in... his reaction was "Oh man, yeah... now this is what I'm talking about, now it's running perfectly."

This has been a public service message from Mr. Passive Aggressive.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 09:53:49 am by DocHolliday »

magus90

• Offline Offline
« Reply #263 on: April 23, 2015, 10:36:14 am »
magus90, tell ya what. Get the $35 card. If its not good enough for you, I'll buy it off you for $35. Then I'll put it in my Plex server box to help with transcoding and to let who ever is staying in my guest room play slightly more modern games on that PC :)

Damm that's nice of you. Well it will be here today so i can hopefully can find out by tonight.

Also if it didn't work it, i wouldn't feel right selling it for 35, i think 25 is fair. It's a 1gb MSI low profile. Hopefully it works though :p i don't want to spend $90 on a GPU right now lol 

There is just surprisingly little information on what GPU's work well with HLSL, and the info that can be found is always on the same 2 graphics cards. the 750 ti and i forgot the other.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #264 on: April 23, 2015, 10:41:11 am »
Are there any specifically recommended r7 250s?

magus90

• Offline Offline
« Reply #265 on: April 23, 2015, 10:44:08 am »
I tested 3 cards on Street Fighter 4:

5450 - a slight improvement over the onboard graphics - Character movements still pretty slow in fighting sequences with all graphic options on.
6450 - an improvment over the 5450 - About 50% faster in fighting sequences, but still slower than it should be with all graphic options on
r7 250 - A big improvement - all fighting sequences were 100% full speed even with all graphics enabled.

Now granted, those tests were with the basic pc, not the modder (maybe the modder will run that 6450 better than the basic did).   Once I went through the testing on those cards when I bought modder pc's, I just went with the r7 250, and that's why I have told anyone who has asked to go with the r7 250, it's a better value than the 7750, and ran everything 100% so far that I have tried with no lagging.

My buddy's basic pc, I initially installed a 6450 for him, then told him to come over and try out the r7 250 when I got it in... his reaction was "Oh man, yeah... now this is what I'm talking about, now it's running perfectly."

This has been a public service message from Mr. Passive Aggressive.

See this is where i get a little confused in how that information translates to how well the card will process HLSL for 90's MAME games. I would imagine if the 6450 could almost run SF4 it should be able to run HLSL on basic games. BUt i honestly am not sure.

Yeah the r7 250 seems great, i just didn't have the $90 to spend on it right now. And if it's overkill for what i wanted and the 6450 would work i would have rather spent the 35. I guess i shall find out.

This has been a response to your public service message from Mr. Defensive.

magus90

• Offline Offline
« Reply #266 on: April 23, 2015, 10:48:36 am »

The XFX 2gb seems like the best one. It has regular HDMI, it's 2gb, and has all great reviews. It's about 90 bucks on newegg. It was 72 just last week with a rebate but it's gone now!

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #267 on: April 23, 2015, 10:49:10 am »

The XFX 2gb seems like the best one. It has regular HDMI, it's 2gb, and has all great reviews. It's about 90 bucks on newegg. It was 72 just last week with a rebate but it's gone now!
Thanks, my friend!

DocHolliday

• Offline Offline
« Reply #268 on: April 23, 2015, 10:54:57 am »

See this is where i get a little confused in how that information translates to how well the card will process HLSL for 90's MAME games. I would imagine if the 6450 could almost run SF4 it should be able to run HLSL on basic games. BUt i honestly am not sure.

Yeah the r7 250 seems great, i just didn't have the $90 to spend on it right now. And if it's overkill for what i wanted and the 6450 would work i would have rather spent the 35. I guess i shall find out.

The only other game I was trying at the time was NBA Jam TE in MAME, and it ran a bit slow on the 6450.   Get one of the 6450's and give it a try.   It may work better on the modder pc than the basic.  You have an offer to get rid of it if it doesn't work for you, so you're out no money... can't beat that.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 10:57:54 am by DocHolliday »

magus90

• Offline Offline
« Reply #269 on: April 23, 2015, 11:00:46 am »

The only other game I was trying at the time was NBA Jam, and it ran a bit slow on the 6450.   Get one of the 6450's and give it a try.   It may work better on the modder pc than the basic.  You have an offer to get rid of it if it doesn't work for you, so you're out no money... can't beat that.

Was HLSL enabled? Because I can run NBA JAM with HLSL off at full speed using just the onboard graphics. Just was curious.

I can also run blitz full speed, it's amazing how fast this little computer is for 125 bucks.

Yeah fortunately i am not stuck with it. Knowing amazon i could probably even return it, but i'd rather it go to Malenko if he actually needs it.

DocHolliday

• Offline Offline
« Reply #270 on: April 23, 2015, 11:29:24 am »

Was HLSL enabled? Because I can run NBA JAM with HLSL off at full speed using just the onboard graphics. Just was curious.

I can also run blitz full speed, it's amazing how fast this little computer is for 125 bucks.

Yeah fortunately i am not stuck with it. Knowing amazon i could probably even return it, but i'd rather it go to Malenko if he actually needs it.

I don't believe so.   I didn't know what hlsl was, had to look it up.  haha   Still learning all of this, but I don't think I have it set up/configured on my mame setup.   

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #271 on: April 23, 2015, 11:43:32 am »
Anyone tried Mortal Kombat X yet?

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #272 on: April 23, 2015, 12:27:56 pm »
Anyone tried Mortal Kombat X yet?

I dont think it'll run with the on board, it doesn't meet the system requirements. MKX doesnt run all that great on my gaming rig and its far superior to the modder system, MKX just isnt optimized, like at all.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #273 on: April 23, 2015, 12:50:12 pm »
MKX = new gauntleg

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #274 on: April 23, 2015, 12:52:14 pm »
MKX = new gauntleg

PBJ=The new tire kicker

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #275 on: April 23, 2015, 09:12:07 pm »

I don't believe so.   I didn't know what hlsl was, had to look it up.  haha   Still learning all of this, but I don't think I have it set up/configured on my mame setup.   

Now I'm confused.
The video shouldn't matter with Mame and no hlsl.
Its all CPU.
Are you using Mame or a PC game?

magus90

• Offline Offline
« Reply #276 on: April 23, 2015, 10:00:06 pm »

Now I'm confused.
Its all CPU.

Yes. But my question is about mame perfermance with hlsl ON.

Hlsl uses your GPU to work

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #277 on: April 24, 2015, 07:49:47 am »

Now I'm confused.
Its all CPU.

Yes. But my question is about mame perfermance with hlsl ON.

Hlsl uses your GPU to work

Correct.
But docholiday said he wasn't using hlsl when he tried those different video cards yet somehow he saw a speed increase with a faster video card?
That's where I'm confused.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #278 on: April 24, 2015, 08:12:05 am »
The only other game I was trying at the time was NBA Jam TE in MAME, and it ran a bit slow on the 6450.   Get one of the 6450's and give it a try.   It may work better on the modder pc than the basic.  You have an offer to get rid of it if it doesn't work for you, so you're out no money... can't beat that.

You can run JAM on an old P4 , I find it very unlikely NBA Jam TE ran less than 100% with any video card. I have one of the original basic systems and it ran Jam TE 100% and ran Gauntlet Legends at about 85%, or if I put the game in standard res, 100%.

DocHolliday

• Offline Offline
« Reply #279 on: April 24, 2015, 09:40:29 am »

Correct.
But docholiday said he wasn't using hlsl when he tried those different video cards yet somehow he saw a speed increase with a faster video card?
That's where I'm confused.

Well most of that testing was done on Street Fighter 4... the only MAME one I played at that time was NBA Jam TE, and it had some lagging for me... unless hyperspin or mame had some other issue that was causing it to slow, it very clearly was compared to the many other times I have played it on my main arcade system.