Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: [[SOLVED]] lnk files work outside of MALA...sort of work inside MALA  (Read 4701 times)

aka_dutch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2013, 01:49:19 pm
  • Saaayyygahhhhh
Screenshots of settings are attached.

So far I've got several EMU's up and running via MALA but I've been stuck on one, WinKawaks.  At the moment I have been able to get WinKawaks to load directly into a ROM via a .lnk shortcut file and when I run this outside of MALA everything works as expected (Screenshot1 for target...full path under images).  The problem arises when I attempt to call the same .lnk file through MALA (Screenshot2 for EMU settings).  Essentially what is happening is, when calling the .lnk file via MALA, WinKawaks loads but doesn't seem to be using the arguments as it does when the shortcut is run outside of the front end so the emulator starts up but the game doesn't auto load.  I've checked out a few of UncleT's guides/posts and believe I've covered my bases but it is entirely possible I have forgotten something or am simply doing this incorrectly.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 09:34:05 pm by aka_dutch »

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 08:21:52 pm
Re: lnk files work outside of MALA...sort of work inside MALA
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 10:57:03 am »
I don't notice anything wrong, but can't see the full target on the shortcut.

Are the .lnk files located in the rom path that's specified?
You might try putting them in a different folder and changing the path to that(named shortcuts or something).

Since you're adding arguments, it may be better to use .bat files instead of shortcuts.

aka_dutch

• Offline Offline
  • Saaayyygahhhhh
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 12:10:41 pm »
I actually have the path as part of the first image under the screens but now that I see it, it could be easily missed.  Here's the target path for the shortcut:

C:\Emulators\Programs\NeoGeo\WinKawaks.exe mslug -fullscreen

And to answer your question, yes the .lnk file is located in the same folder as the rom path.

I'm at work at the moment so I can't test the batch file but I can give that a go as well.  I assume something like this would do the trick:

@echo off
cd C:\Emulators\Programs\NeoGeo\roms\neogeo
start WinKawaks.exe mslug.zip /MAX

« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 03:51:47 pm by aka_dutch »

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 08:21:52 pm
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 04:39:23 pm »
Probably..... I've never messed with winkawaks, so I don't know what the command line supposed to look like. (-fullscreen or /MAX)

I assume you're using .lnk files instead of just setting it up normally so MALA will display the game name you choose instead of the rom filename?

aka_dutch

• Offline Offline
  • Saaayyygahhhhh
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 06:54:04 pm »
Well the reason for the .lnk is because winkawaks doesn't seem to want to load to the rom via the standard method of providing the executable path and the rom path.  It just loads the emu.  I think this is just how kawaks works due to how you end up having to load your roms (sort of like mame - a set list is present and you check for available roms).  I have the game running in mame but the performance in kawaks is just so much better that I'm attempting to get this going.

I attempted to get a batch to launch the rom directly but no dice I'm afraid.

@echo off
start C:\Emulators\Programs\NeoGeo\WinKawaks.exe C:\Emulators\Programs\NeoGeo\roms\neogeo\mslug.zip

This didn't seem to work even outside of the front end when I would expect it to function in the same manner as the .lnk.

I also attempted to set the default program for the ROM to be winkawaks and then to start the zip directly; same outcome.

So far the only way I've been able to launch directly to game is via a shortcut with the previously mentioned target set when outside of MALA.

aka_dutch

• Offline Offline
  • Saaayyygahhhhh
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 07:33:21 pm »
I was also able to pull the logs...looks fine to me:

2013/08/12  19:30:18.90   Info: Add hotkey: Esc
2013/08/12  19:30:18.90   Info: Set dir: C:\Emulators\Programs\NeoGeo\
2013/08/12  19:30:18.90   Info: Starte:: Starting Game : C:\Emulators\Programs\NeoGeo\WinKawaks.exe mslug -fullscreen .Create process: C:\Emulators\Programs\NeoGeo\WinKawaks.exe mslug -fullscreen

aka_dutch

• Offline Offline
  • Saaayyygahhhhh
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 09:13:52 pm »
[[SOLVED]]

So I ended up getting this working through a combination of the .lnk and a batch file and since I couldn't find jack squat about this issue via google I'll post what I did here.

First I created a shortcut to the winkawaks executable and added the arguments for the file and -fullscreen to the target:

ex: C:\Emulators\Programs\NeoGeo\WinKawaks.exe [insert romname] -fullscreen

I then placed the .lnk in the rom path and set the command line settings for other emu's to %rom%.%ext%

(And here is what got things moving)
Once this was complete I created a simple batch to launch the .lnk (sometimes the simplest things just get overlooked)

@echo off
cd [your filepath to the .lnk directory]
start [.lnk file]

I then set the .bat to be selectable via MALA and the game launched in fullscreen

« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 09:39:16 am by aka_dutch »