Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: THE ARCADE SHOP at GAMEROOM DESIGNS - Arcade Systems, Kits, Parts & Accessories  (Read 242594 times)

Rick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
Forgive the potato quality, but here's a pic of a system I just completed for a customer:

I took some pics with the system running and all the LED's working, but the marquee only showed white in the photos. Bummer. My Nikon was out of batteries. Great timing.

He just picked it up, and is super-stoked about it. It's a gift for his employers, and after he had placed the order, they were at a local bar with a small bartop and commented, "Man, I wish we had one of these!" Suffice to say, my customer was happy that he already had this gift in the works.

:D

jimmyjamez

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2017, 01:58:51 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I sent an email regarding custom bartop.

Hopefully you got it.

Rick

• Offline Offline
I sent an email regarding custom bartop. Hopefully you got it.

Got it! Thanks!

Just some quick eye candy for you all. What's been keeping me busy lately...

Got a number of new products in the works, and should be presenting some prototypes in the next week or so. Can't wait to get back to producing the new stuff! Stay tuned!

JLR2000

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2021, 02:49:16 pm
  • There is NO Sanctuary...
Hi Rick -

Really love your work and was wondering if you have any interest in adding a "slimline" cabinet to your offering:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=89163.0

I really love the design and as you can see the author hasn't been active.  I've built my full size cabinet from help here 15 years ago and now I'm thinking these slim cabinets would be perfect.  I also remember all the work the build was for the "carpentry challenged" like myself, so having a kit option would be so awesome.

If someone else is doing this type of kit already, please let me know! 

Thanks!

Rick

• Offline Offline
Really love your work and was wondering if you have any interest in adding a "slimline" cabinet to your offering. I really love the design and as you can see the author hasn't been active.  I've built my full size cabinet from help here 15 years ago and now I'm thinking these slim cabinets would be perfect.  I also remember all the work the build was for the "carpentry challenged" like myself, so having a kit option would be so awesome. If someone else is doing this type of kit already, please let me know!

I've always loved this cabinet configuration. I am presently working on a cabinet similar to ChanceKJ's recent work, and do have plans to introduce a slim design shortly as well. I do post everything new here, but you can also subscribe on my website for the latest info first!

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Really love your work and was wondering if you have any interest in adding a "slimline" cabinet to your offering. I really love the design and as you can see the author hasn't been active.  I've built my full size cabinet from help here 15 years ago and now I'm thinking these slim cabinets would be perfect.  I also remember all the work the build was for the "carpentry challenged" like myself, so having a kit option would be so awesome. If someone else is doing this type of kit already, please let me know!

I've always loved this cabinet configuration. I am presently working on a cabinet similar to ChanceKJ's recent work, and do have plans to introduce a slim design shortly as well. I do post everything new here, but you can also subscribe on my website for the latest info first!
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Rick

• Offline Offline

JLR2000

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2021, 02:49:16 pm
  • There is NO Sanctuary...

Thanks Rick....I signed up for the newsletter as well.  Look forward to seeing what you come up with.  I think what I like best is the shallow design that can be attached to the wall, so hopefully you'll have that option...

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
are your control panels really...blue?

like the original capcom cabinets?

Rick

• Offline Offline
are your control panels really...blue? like the original capcom cabinets?

No sir. All of our renders were created in blue, simply to meet the colour scheme of the website. I'm reconsidering the colours, in favour of a 'wood-grain' render, just to stave off confusion in the future.

rsantos97

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2017, 11:12:31 am
I am interested in a Cubic.  I sent you an email through your site but didn't get a response.  I had a few question before ordering.

1. I am interested in the Cubic 20" but with the 2P CP like you did for Michael Boutin’s cabinet that you have on the website's gallery, but I would go with the curved ergo layout. Would that be ok?

2. Can the front edge of the CP be straight instead of curved.  I think it would look better, but not a big deal if not.

3. On your site it says to choose materials but, but I see no option for that.  I was hoping you offered a white or even black melamine so that I wouldn't have to paint it. I would prefer white because I plan I going with chrome t-molding and chrome button rings.

4. Is the Control Panel cut out for Sanwa JLF joystick, and what buttons can I use?

5. Are the prices shown on your site Canadian?

My build will be as follows:
Monitor 19" 5:4 HP LP1965 S-MVA Panel
Motherboard: Abit P35-E
CPU: Intel Q6600 QuadCore OCed to 3.0Ghz
Ram: 4gb DDR2 800 (The max this board can handle)
Videl: 8400 GS (might upgrade it to GTX 750ti)
PSU: Antec EarthWatts 380w
Amp: probaly some Lapei 2ch amp which is what many people seem to be using
Speakers: Some cheap 2-way 4" car speakers

The cabinet theme will be White with chrome accents (t-molding, button rings, ...).  Player one will be Blue with a clear blue ball top and blue led lit buttons with the lightest switches.  Player two will be the same but in green.  I will also get the blue and green aluminum bat tops from Paradise Arcade in case I want to switch them out.  And to finish the look I will get the ggg coin drop buttons.

menace

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2023, 10:57:06 am
I too sent an email last week and didn't get a response--so here's another shout out--maybe he's on vacation or something and forgot to update the website or set up his out of office reply  :dunno
its better to not post and be thought a fool, then to whip out your keyboard and remove all doubt...

Rick

• Offline Offline
I am interested in a Cubic. I sent you an email through your site but didn't get a response. I had a few question before ordering.

Thanks for the message. I'd like to apologize - it's been really busy since before Christmas, and I've also been having some trouble receiving some emails since I changed web hosts as well. I am looking into it, and hope to have everything back up and running properly, as soon as possible.

1. I am interested in the Cubic 20" but with the 2P CP like you did for Michael Boutin’s cabinet that you have on the website's gallery, but I would go with the curved ergo layout. Would that be ok?

That's absolutely no problem. I have a 20" two player template available, and can create any custom design you may wish to have.

2. Can the front edge of the CP be straight instead of curved.  I think it would look better, but not a big deal if not.

I can do that, no problem.

3. On your site it says to choose materials but, but I see no option for that.  I was hoping you offered a white or even black melamine so that I wouldn't have to paint it. I would prefer white because I plan I going with chrome t-molding and chrome button rings.

At present, we do not offer melamine-covered particle board as an available option. We have had limited success cutting it on our CNC, as it will leave a minimal number of 'chips' on the wood on the finished edges. We have made the appropriate changes to the machine configuration, used the proper (and expensive) bit for dual-sided melamine wood, and unfortunately, I believe that the poor quality of wood supply may be a factor. I have attempted to source better wood, melamine covered MDF with a thicker melamine coating, and have found a local supplier, however, they cannot deliver to my location due to the fact that I do not have a dock-level receiving bay, and I don't have a vehicle which could be used for picking up.

4. Is the Control Panel cut out for Sanwa JLF joystick, and what buttons can I use?

I can definitely cut the pockets in the control panel for the shorter-throw joysticks. As for buttons, I cut a 1.15625" hole for joysticks and buttons, which will accommodate HAPP-compatible and other standard button sizes.

5. Are the prices shown on your site Canadian?

Absolutely. Now, and forever. :)

I too sent an email last week and didn't get a response--so here's another shout out--maybe he's on vacation or something and forgot to update the website or set up his out of office reply  :dunno

I do apologize, again, for the lack of timely communication in the past few weeks. I am going to try and find any missing emails that I haven't yet replied to, but if you haven't received a response from me shortly, if you don't mind, could you please PM me your email address so I can search for anything that may be amiss? I'd really appreciate it, if so.

As it is right now, I'm on my way out for a bit of minor surgery. (To add insult to injury, on my hand, no less. Yay.) I will be back later today, and hopefully, will get the majority of these communication issues cleared out then.

rsantos97

• Offline Offline
Thank you Rick.  I placed the order tonight but did not see a place for notes.

rsantos97

• Offline Offline
What is the lead time for bartop cabinets?

Rick

• Offline Offline

Normally, it's a LOT quicker than it has been. I apologize for the delay. I'm in the process of packing your order right now for shipment, and will send over tracking details via email. (I've also sent you an email detailing this as well.)

Thank you for your patience!

Rick

rsantos97

• Offline Offline

Normally, it's a LOT quicker than it has been. I apologize for the delay. I'm in the process of packing your order right now for shipment, and will send over tracking details via email. (I've also sent you an email detailing this as well.)

Thank you for your patience!

Rick

Thanks Rick.  No worries, I'm in no rush. 

Rick

• Offline Offline
Hi all,

It's been a while since I've had the opportunity to post on the forums, but we've been really busy preparing for a huge change, and I am excited to post here...

The Arcade Shop at Gameroom Designs is MOVING!

We are presently moving the entire operation to a commercial space, where we will be better suited to provide our customers with high-quality arcade systems, kits and parts. (For those who are local to us, don't worry - we're planning on remaining in the Durham Region, which is easily accessible within the GTA.)

Our plans for the new location are underway. We're going to have a showroom, including fully-functional models of every system we sell, as well as a huge inventory of in-stock parts, so that orders can be shipped within 24 hours. We're also planning on adding two additional CNC machines, to reduce the wait time on cut orders, and have a professional paint booth for finishing fully built systems.

We're just cutting the final sheet on our CNC today, to fulfill current orders, and then I'll be disassembling, and transferring the machine to storage until our new space is ready.

Once we're setup in the new space, we're going to have an open house, and hope to see some of you there!

Thanks again for all of the support you've shown us over the past few years!

Rick

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
Translation: "Honey, get your ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- out of the kitchen, I'm tired of MDF sandwiches."

Rick

• Offline Offline
Translation: "Honey, get your ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- out of the kitchen, I'm tired of MDF sandwiches."

LOL. My wife thought that was hilarious.

We are actually selling our house and moving into a rental property, and using the equity to invest in the company, as the housing market is really great right now. It is, however, very, VERY exciting to not have the machine running all day within the house.

Rick

• Offline Offline

Gameroom Designs Canada is closing its doors for good. You can read about it all here.

Thank you.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline

Gameroom Designs Canada is closing its doors for good. You can read about it all here.

Thank you.

Wow. Hope all is well Rick, and this is just a career decision.

I’m hanging out with HaRuMaN later today. We’ll pour a 40 out for you.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
I never got my free one ;)
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
Rick, if this was a business decision I'd be interested to hear details of what went right and what didn't. For example, a business that I've worked for over the past five years started as a garage start-up, eventually moved to a commercial space, made a solid run on that for about 3 years, but has recently moved back into the garage.

Bottom line, the business (they're a custom sign maker) was viable and profitable as a home venture but was barely able to make the jump in sales to cover the overhead associated with going commercial, committing to showroom hours, etc. This, in my opinion, was largely due to two factors. First, the local market didn't support the brick and mortar costs. Secondly, they were never able to achieve an economy of scale. It's a custom business where every order is a special order. 

If your decision was based on a major life change I hope everything is okay, but if it's something similar to the above I very much would be interested in hearing a rundown of your decision cycle. Your situation is just very compelling since it seems to have taken a radically different trajectory in the last year.   

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes

Thank you.

what's this then.....

http://gameroomdesigns.ca/back-to-the-arcade-2k19/

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:37:53 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
Looks likes just parts but no cabinets

Rick

• Offline Offline
Hey all,

Yes, I am back in business. My wife and I had a long talk over the past few months, as she mentioned I "haven't been the same recently". It actually took a heavier toll on me than I'd first thought. It's been a long road, but I am working hard to get back to what I've loved doing, so yeah, I'm back.

Haruman is correct - there are no cabinet kits. I have sold that part of the business to a U.S. Company, and they have been ramping up to distribute these. They actually run a very successful arcade in their area, which I understand has been becoming even more popular in the past number of months, so there hasn't been as much activity in production as they had originally hoped. But, good on them for having a successful business that's keeping them that busy. I had also sold off my CNC machine, and also do not have space for one in my current area. I am presently looking into producing completed arcades for the local area, so that may change and evolve in the future. We'll see. The one challenge with this is, of course, I would have to create all new designs so as not to infringe on the sale of my original designs... I simply would not be unfair to the guy who bought them.

As for parts - yes, those are returning full throttle. When I left the business, there were a few other companies who jumped in to fill my spot, and I think they all found some of the things that I had learned over the years - there are very small profit margins, and you need to make sure you buy a large amount of stock and may have to hold onto it for a long time before you make your money back on it. I saw some who took the opportunity to raise their prices above what I helped to set across Canada, sometimes, up to 20% more! (I've seen the most generic buttons I was selling for $1.85 on their shops for up to $2.50!)

That's not fair. That's not right. I'm sorry, but that was one of the things couldn't stop following when I left. I looked at what I had left behind, and it looked like a hole. I came back to do the job, and to help the market as best as I could.

I am having a sale, if you guys are interested, to help me fill the shop up. I'm ordering all of my new parts on March 1, and have a 19% sale going on right now. If you place an order, use coupon code ARCADE2K19 on checkout. Oh, and it works on 'on sale' items as well, as I've changed that mechanic as well, for even more savings. (Here's the link to the shop, as well.)

I do want to thank everybody for following, and for caring. I've had no end of great convos with people since I left, and I'm sure that will continue now that I am returning. Feel free to reach out to me here, or via my email at arcadeshop@gameroomdesigns.ca.

Cheers. And thanks.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 12:45:41 pm by Rick »

Rick

• Offline Offline
Looks likes just parts but no cabinets

Hmm. That sounds ...wrong, somehow. ;)

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:33:19 am
  • This plan is foolproof
Your site says you have the largest in stock inventory of arcade parts in North America. Did you exclude the United States from North America?

Browsing your website that statement doesn't look remotely true. Please correct me if I am wrong about that.

Rick

• Offline Offline
Your site says you have the largest in stock inventory of arcade parts in North America. Did you exclude the United States from North America? Browsing your website that statement doesn't look remotely true. Please correct me if I am wrong about that.

When this marketing tagline was created, my in-stock inventory was well above competitors across North America who carried the same products that I carry, and I worked to create a marketing 'hook' which would be true to this fact. It may have been a bit bold of a statement, but I certainly won't argue the fact that it is technically correct - I'm not claiming that I carry the largest distinct number of unique products.

That being said - I was/am in the process of changing it up. I just hadn't come up with a suitable replacement for it. I was leaning towards ... 'nothing at all', as a marketing campaign because my work, products and services speak for themselves.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
Your site says you have the largest in stock inventory of arcade parts in North America. Did you exclude the United States from North America?

Browsing your website that statement doesn't look remotely true. Please correct me if I am wrong about that.

It’s Rick. We love Rick, but he graduated from the P.T. Barnum School of Biz.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
I don't love ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow---. There is no way that statement was true in any form you could try to twist it into.

Rick

• Offline Offline
I don't love ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow---. There is no way that statement was true in any form you could try to twist it into.

You are welcome to your opinion, even if it's factually incorrect. Consider this: if I had only one arcade product, and I had a greater quantity of in-stock pieces of it than all of my competition, then the statement, "largest in-stock inventory of arcade parts in North America" is correct.

You may, of course, refute this by visiting each site, attempting to order each of their parts to make sure they are in stock, and then giving me your 'ah-ha, gotcha!' reply by finding the sites that have more in-stock that I do. (There are actually scripts that will allow you to scrape entire websites to determine this info, by the way.)

But, we could just both agree that yes, you don't like my marketing, and move on. I'm not here to forum-warrior.

It’s Rick. We love Rick, but he graduated from the P.T. Barnum School of Biz.

It's not a party without a Yotz sunburn. ;) And yes. I'm fantastical, at best. I do try to be able to live up to my own hype though.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
"if I had only one arcade product, and I had a greater quantity of in-stock pieces of it than all of my competition, then the statement, "largest in-stock inventory of arcade parts in North America" is correct."

You don't have only one arcade part.

By that stupid logic I have  the largest in-stock inventory of arcade parts in North America.

Rick

• Offline Offline
You don't have only one arcade part.

True! (And first, I said "product", not part.) And by your 'logic', each additional part only exponentially proves my point, if each one is assumed to be of larger quantities than the competition. More importantly, why are you arguing about this? Is this really the hill you want to die on?

As I mentioned above, you don't like the marketing. That's all fine and well. I've decided *I* don't like the marketing, so I've made the change I wanted to make, so I figure this whole argument is moot. Hopefully, you don't feel the need to waste more of your time in a thread you're not going to convince anyone you're right in.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
I am glad you decided to change your dishonest marketing hook.

Hopefully, you don't feel the need to waste more of your time in a thread you're not going to convince anyone you're right in.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
Both of you STFU about this. :cheers:

How you been, Rick? Miss eating MDF sandwiches?

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
I have like... at least... 10,000 lock washers, williams part number 4701-00023-00 in our mezzanine warehouse.

now, do I have the largest in-stock inventory of pinball parts in North America?

if not i can head down to the supply house and grab a case of 200,000.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
do I have the largest in-stock inventory of pinball parts in North America?

Doesn't really matter if you don't have 1 of the part I need at the time ! ( Don't really care who has the largest inventory if they don't have the specific product you need at the time !)

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
I've decided *I* don't like the marketing

I wish you didn't like blue gradients.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.