Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: THE ARCADE SHOP at GAMEROOM DESIGNS - Arcade Systems, Kits, Parts & Accessories  (Read 242654 times)

Rick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
CHRISTMAS 2020!!!!

Well, if UPS takes that long, then I think I'll be asking for my money back.

ChanceKJ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2021, 02:52:06 pm

Rick

• Offline Offline
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

(I should have waited to open them, but I was too excited.)

:D
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 02:02:42 pm by Rick »

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
#Stoked

Rick

• Offline Offline
#Stoked

Me too, man. Me too. I've got a local CNC shop who's ready to quote, and I'm working on the first part of the new machine this week. I hope to have pics of the design posted up shortly, but I'm going to open a new project link for that. Stay tuned!

Mamezilla

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 05:37:24 am
Great news !  :applaud:
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 07:34:48 am by Mamezilla »
Don't throw rocks to a man with a machine gun
-- Rowdy Roddy Piper --

Rick

• Offline Offline
I created a Project Link, here, where you can track the progress of the project. Thanks for your support!

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
You're having a CNC shop prepare pieces for your CNC machine?

Yo dawg, that's how the machines get self aware.

Rick

• Offline Offline
You're having a CNC shop prepare pieces for your CNC machine?Yo dawg, that's how the machines get self aware.

A-ha, that's what I was thinking too! (Skynet, anyone?) So, I've decided to pass along 1/3 of the design to one shop, 1/3 of the design to another, and the final 1/3 to a third shop... Miles Dyson, be damned!

>:D

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
 ;D you just don't want any of them figuring out what your doing and giving you a half assed product.

Rick

• Offline Offline
;D you just don't want any of them figuring out what your doing and giving you a half assed product.

I'd be lying if I hadn't already thought about this. It's definitely a concern. The 'good news' is, I simply hand them a bunch of files, and not the finished render. So, unless they employ Kreskin, there's little chance they can figure out what I'm building if I don't tell them.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Are Canadians usually this paranoid?  :dizzy:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Rick

• Offline Offline

I've contacted every CNC shop within an hour's radius of me, and haven't found out suitable solution. While I'm not really farming the job out to multiple shops, I definitely won't take the chance of the shops I do have available to say no.

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline

No.

...Possibly.

Wait, who's asking?!

#ShiftyEyes

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
Rick, can I make a suggestion here, build it out of extruded aluminum project beams and hardware.

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 04:14:20 pm by ChanceKJ »

Rick

• Offline Offline
Rick, can I make a suggestion here, build it out of extruded aluminum project beams and hardware.

While I love (LOVE) the idea behind extruded aluminum, the expense of it all makes it a bit cost-prohibitive. For example, the track will inevitably wear as the bearings roll against it. This will happen with what I'm choosing to go with (3/4" L-Channel Aluminum Rails) and also with it's extruded cousin. While it may not happen as quickly with the extruded option, it would cost approximately 3-5x the price to replace.

I really wish that extruded aluminum had a better price point, because I would definitely look at it as an option. (BTW, I totally misread your comment - I was under the impression you were speaking of the linear motion systems, and not the entire machine.)

Rick

• Offline Offline
And damn it, now I have to look at other cool options. Thanks a lot.

;)

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
This place will feature creep anything to death, apparently.  >:D

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
The base of the vaccum table could me MDF. But for flexability, design, etc I'd construct the axis rails from this openbuilds stuff.

I'm not 100% sure but I think they're Canadian. I'm at the office so I don't really have the time to investigate this further. Prices seem decent. Especially because you already have the steppers and other various hardware. And it shows the stuff in Canadian pricing. Let's hope I'm right, odds are if they are Canadian or have a distributor it will be in the GTA.

Rick

• Offline Offline
The base of the vaccum table could me MDF. But for flexability, design, etc I'd construct the axis rails from this openbuilds stuff. I'm not 100% sure but I think they're Canadian. I'm at the office so I don't really have the time to investigate this further. Prices seem decent. Especially because you already have the steppers and other various hardware. And it shows the stuff in Canadian pricing. Let's hope I'm right, odds are if they are Canadian or have a distributor it will be in the GTA.

Damn you, dude. Damn you. (Kidding, obviously.)

I just downloaded some Solidworks files from 8020.net... Looks like I can design the darn thing in Solidworks using their extrusion files. I'll have to check out these guys now. Damn it.

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
/EvilLaugh

You'll thank me when the thing has a higher resale value and every time you have to do some maintience on it.

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
It could also be designed to breakdown into smaller "simple to store size" sections for relocation, those days you want to work out in the sun in your back yard, or you and the wife give up on the GTA and head out west to the 403 like everyone else does.

Just saying. ;)

Mamezilla

• Offline Offline
Hello Rick,

Would it be possible to get a pic of the sides on a Titan with the exact measurements of it ?  I'd live to use it as a Template in Adobe Illustrator so that I can plan the layout of the side art I may want to use on it, and play with that.

I still have no idea on what to do with it.  I've checked and googled "Taito side art" but I didn't find anything inspiring for me.  I really do not want to limit the side art of it to something "Taito" inspired, if that make sense,  I'd like that art to be more like "80's Arcade Classics" inspired, a bit like some of the "Multicade" side art we see everywhere, with all the different caracters of these classics.  But the curved part of the side of the Titan somehow limits the use of these, as I would have to be placed below the curved part. Would prefer something that would fit better.

Maybe the mighty Malenko might some ideas.  I've seen some of his amazing work in this topic, just awesome. 

At the same time, I want to wish you and everyone following this topic a Happy New Year !

-- Rowdy Roddy Piper --

Rick

• Offline Offline
Would it be possible to get a pic of the sides on a Titan with the exact measurements of it? I'd live to use it as a Template in Adobe Illustrator so that I can plan the layout of the side art I may want to use on it, and play with that.

No problems. I've got that ready for you. PM me your email address, and I'll send it right over.

I still have no idea on what to do with it.  I've checked and googled "Taito side art" but I didn't find anything inspiring for me. I really do not want to limit the side art of it to something "Taito" inspired, if that make sense, I'd like that art to be more like "80's Arcade Classics" inspired, a bit like some of the "Multicade" side art we see everywhere, with all the different characters of these classics.  But the curved part of the side of the Titan somehow limits the use of these, as I would have to be placed below the curved part. Would prefer something that would fit better.

I've always been a fan of the original 'Taito' side art, personally, but yeah - it's a bit minimalist... I also wanted to make an "Elevator Action" cab, as that's one of my favourite Taito games... Check this - maybe that'll help.

Maybe the mighty Malenko might some ideas.  I've seen some of his amazing work in this topic, just awesome.

Malenko is the man. He's the guy I call when I need great art.

At the same time, I want to wish you and everyone following this topic a Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!

Mamezilla

• Offline Offline
Would it be possible to get a pic of the sides on a Titan with the exact measurements of it? I'd live to use it as a Template in Adobe Illustrator so that I can plan the layout of the side art I may want to use on it, and play with that.

No problems. I've got that ready for you. PM me your email address, and I'll send it right over.

PM sent. Thanks !
-- Rowdy Roddy Piper --

CaptainMarvel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 03, 2020, 04:49:55 pm
Is there no longer a website for Gameroom Designs?

I tried clicking the link - and it says "Coming Soon."  -  Perhaps there's a new/different link?    :-\
TOM

Understanding that you may not see success instantly, but that all your good decisions add up to a cumulative success over time is what separates those who "get there" and those who don't. Every day you either get further away from your goals, or closer to them . . . Its up to YOU."

Rick

• Offline Offline
Is there no longer a website for Gameroom Designs? I tried clicking the link - and it says "Coming Soon."  -  Perhaps there's a new/different link?    :-\

We're still coming soon. I haven't completed the website as yet.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
Moved over here to keep HaRuMaN's thread cleaner-

Damn, Rick's chippy. Waiting on his CNC to get finished is giving him blue balls or something.

Nah. Hardly that. Add that I can't walk to the fact that I lost my job and can't claim UI and that could be the source of the snappy retorts. Meh, all the way around.

Wait, what, you lost your job? When did that happen? You ok, bro? I know about the leg, but I didn't know about the job.

Rick

• Offline Offline
Wait, what, you lost your job? When did that happen? You ok, bro? I know about the leg, but I didn't know about the job.

Yeah, that's new. I'm doing ok - one day at a time.

I was a contract employee, and my contract was set to expire on March 3, so I figured I'd talk to my Manager and ask if my contract was going to be renewed - since the project is set to be ongoing into 2017. I was told it was not, as the SVP's wanted everybody to downsize their departments. Sadly, that seems to mean only me, as there are still two other Consultants who are still working there. It's ---smurfy---, and I just put in my last timesheet on Friday, but it is what it is. Thankfully, my Wife makes enough for the both of us for now. We're doing ok.

I've been working ---my bottom--- off on getting my website up and running, and will be launching in the next day or so. (Surprise!) I have all of my products (not my CNC stuff, but everything else) ready and up, and am working on the payment gateways now. So, hopefully, there's a silver lining coming.

In the interim, I spend a couple hours a day applying for jobs - the Internet has really destroyed that whole process. I can apply (and have!) for hundreds of jobs every single day - supply my resume and put in a great cover letter - and be ignored by hundreds of companies en masse. (Seriously - I've got the skills for every job I apply for, but there's just so many applicants, I'm lucky to have received three replies...)

I'm doing the best with what I've got right now. My Wife and kids have been waiting on me hand and foot, pretty much. I'm lucky that way.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline

Yeah, that's new. I'm doing ok - one day at a time.

I was a contract employee, and my contract was set to expire on March 3, so I figured I'd talk to my Manager and ask if my contract was going to be renewed - since the project is set to be ongoing into 2017. I was told it was not, as the SVP's wanted everybody to downsize their departments. Sadly, that seems to mean only me, as there are still two other Consultants who are still working there. It's ---smurfy---, and I just put in my last timesheet on Friday, but it is what it is. Thankfully, my Wife makes enough for the both of us for now. We're doing ok.

I've been working ---my bottom--- off on getting my website up and running, and will be launching in the next day or so. (Surprise!) I have all of my products (not my CNC stuff, but everything else) ready and up, and am working on the payment gateways now. So, hopefully, there's a silver lining coming.

In the interim, I spend a couple hours a day applying for jobs - the Internet has really destroyed that whole process. I can apply (and have!) for hundreds of jobs every single day - supply my resume and put in a great cover letter - and be ignored by hundreds of companies en masse. (Seriously - I've got the skills for every job I apply for, but there's just so many applicants, I'm lucky to have received three replies...)

I'm doing the best with what I've got right now. My Wife and kids have been waiting on me hand and foot, pretty much. I'm lucky that way.

Just CNC yourself a new leg and you'll be good to go!  :cheers:

Take care, bro.  :cheers:

Rick

• Offline Offline
Just CNC yourself a new leg and you'll be good to go!  :cheers:

Take care, bro.  :cheers:

LOL, thanks man! I've got the machine to build, and just got a new PC built up for it, so it's in the works! (I do also have over 80 bottles of home brew that are ready to drink, so I'll be ok.)

;)

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
Sorry to hear that Rick, I have a few frineds who run contract work out here. Some of them are lucky to work for the city and just go back to to what they were on before the contract. But that private sector, man, we can be ruthless.

Maybe you guys need some mountain air? Sounds like an excuse to relocate to Calgary.

Rick

• Offline Offline
Sorry to hear that Rick, I have a few frineds who run contract work out here. Some of them are lucky to work for the city and just go back to to what they were on before the contract. But that private sector, man, we can be ruthless. Maybe you guys need some mountain air? Sounds like an excuse to relocate to Calgary.

Appreciate it, sir. This was my first foray into the world of contract employment - the money was amazing, but yeah, the negatives are definitely not worth it... I'm hoping to find another full-time gig soon, unless my web launch makes me enough money to go full-time with the shop. We shall see!

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
Well it goes without saying that anytime I can help I will. I have tons of people I get caught up with talking about what I do in this hobby and your wares would make it easy for some of them to get into this hobby or at the very least play Galaga in an easy way. Well, more so then if you did the woodworking.

If anyone brings up the hobby as a topic and says they wish they had a build I'll let them know that I know a guy.

Rick

• Offline Offline
Well it goes without saying that anytime I can help I will. I have tons of people I get caught up with talking about what I do in this hobby and your wares would make it easy for some of them to get into this hobby or at the very least play Galaga in an easy way. Well, more so then if you did the woodworking. If anyone brings up the hobby as a topic and says they wish they had a build I'll let them know that I know a guy.

Appreciated sir, thanks again!

I just wanted to note that I will be updating this thread with the 'newest news' from the business going forward, and keeping this thread (the one you're reading) as the discussion thread. I will still keep posting the 'unofficial' and 'progress work' information here, and I appreciate all of the support that everybody has been giving me!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 05:29:06 pm by Rick »

Rick

• Offline Offline
Re: GAMEROOM DESIGNS CANADA - Discussion Thread
« Reply #716 on: April 10, 2015, 08:06:20 pm »
As part of my commitment to provide fresh and new content on my website, I have started a weekly editorial, where I give my personal insight and review on classic arcade games... I invite everybody who's interested to give it a read! Click on the links below:

Retro Review Friday #1: Pac-Man

Retro Review Friday #2: Xevious

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:20:30 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #717 on: April 11, 2015, 09:13:07 am »
might I advocate reviewing slightly less well known games? What are you reviewing next, Galaga?
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #718 on: April 11, 2015, 09:25:21 am »
might I advocate reviewing slightly less well known games? What are you reviewing next, Galaga?

Reviewing different games is definitely in my plan, yes.

I am starting with the classics people (may) know because I have a broader audience than just the experts or those heavily involved in the hobby - I also have to present to people who haven't played a game in twenty years and simply want the nostalgia. I will definitely be doing reviews on more obscure titles as well once I have established a following, as this will help me to select the next reviews.

And no, I'm not doing Galaga next. It's Galaxian. ;)
(I'm kidding - it's not Galaxian)

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #719 on: April 17, 2015, 08:44:14 am »
Retro Review Friday #3: Captain America and The Avengers