Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: THE ARCADE SHOP at GAMEROOM DESIGNS - Arcade Systems, Kits, Parts & Accessories  (Read 244922 times)

VoltaTom

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2018, 09:42:10 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Looking good. Are there different layout options? Or is that the standard layout/number of buttons?

Sent from my iPhone

Rick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
Looking good. Are there different layout options? Or is that the standard layout/number of buttons?

Thanks! There are different layout options for the Sides, Admin Panel, Control Panel, and Rear Door. I'm just working on the image/video layouts now, but in the interim, check out some Admin Panels...

Rick

• Offline Offline
And now, control panels:

...and the Nero...

Rick

• Offline Offline
I was hopin to see some Galaga pix :)

At long last, I had some opportunity to work on the cabinet this weekend! I hope my humble work meets with the approval of the Mighty Malenko, who provided me with the amazing graphics.

Right now, I'm trying to work on wiring up the GP-Wiz, and then get the rest of this darned thing assembled. Hopefully, I can find the time to make more progress this week!

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
That looks really cool Rick!  :applaud:

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
looks really good! Im pleased everything lined up and I look forward to seeing the finished project.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Billy_Goatfeet

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2023, 08:00:07 am
  • Bleat.
+1!  Looks great!

BG.

I am the great "threadkiller!!"....watch me go.

Rick

• Offline Offline
So, right now, I have an ancient motherboard sitting atop the 99% completed cabinet, running 2 of 142 Windows updates. I'm pretty stoked that my first bartop commission will be completed very shortly!

My only trouble right now is with the vinyl stickers - they didn't stick properly the first time I had attached it, so I used some spray adhesive to stick them down... ...but now, about 1/4" around the outside edge is lifting. I guess I'll be pulling back a bit of the sticker, and using some good old-fashioned wood glue to get it sealed around the edge.

As it is, I hope to have it completed in the next few days, and will definitely post up some great pics and a gameplay vid as well!

Stay tuned!

SgtSlaughter

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2021, 10:38:50 am
Looking good Rick!  I'm glad you've almost got it completed.  Unfortunately mine has halted, we purchased a house and I've been doing some major renovations before we move in a couple weeks.  I'm hoping to get back to it mid April, as my wife is 3 months pregnant and I'll need to finish it before the baby.

Rick

• Offline Offline
Thanks guys.

I'm getting there ... SLOWLY! I have a seemingly endless list of stuff I have to/want to finish:

- Glue up the t-molding on the face pieces (Stupid me, I forgot to cut channels into the front of the top and the marquee pieces, so I've resorted to trimming off the channel piece, and gluing/clamping the pieces on.) - IN PROGRESS
- Reconfigure the motherboard I have here (PS/2 keyboard only, grrrr) to work with DirectDraw properly. Somehow, the DirectDraw 3D setting is hanging the system. Thanks, Windows XP. What you give me in performance over Windows 7 (which WORKED) you take away in functionality. - IN PROGRESS
- Clean the plexi. There is a rogue eyelash in between the plexi and the monitor that dances around with the static electricity. At least I hope it's an eyelash. ;)
- Use marker to colour the insides of the trimmed bezel piece black. I had it printed on white paper, and you can see where I made my cuts a bit too well.
- Glue, clamp and screw the monitor mount in place PERMANENTLY. It's fit in there right now, and it's a nice, tight fit, but I don't want it to move EVER once it's in place.
- I've already soldered up the power switch to the mobo, and now I have to desolder/resolder the power cable to the new smart power bar.
- Once everything above that is done, it's final installation time. PSU, mobo, hard drive, speakers and lighting get installed, and we play us some games!

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
- Glue up the t-molding on the face pieces (Stupid me, I forgot to cut channels into the front of the top and the marquee pieces, so I've resorted to trimming off the channel piece, and gluing/clamping the pieces on.) - IN PROGRESS

Good luck with that - I hope the glue stays adhered to the plastic.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Rick

• Offline Offline
Good luck with that - I hope the glue stays adhered to the plastic.

Thanks! So far, it's been good. I glued up a piece overnight, and it's still holding strong. Worst case scenario, I do have some Gorilla Glue and a hot glue gun available.

:D

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
I do have some Gorilla Glue and a hot glue gun available.

Which gets us to:

At least I hope it's an eyelash. ;)

Rick

• Offline Offline
And, we're done!

Lots of lessons learned on this one. It takes a lot more time to build these up than I first thought! In the end, I'm proud of this 'first try', which I built for a buddy of mine.

MANY, MANY THANKS to the following, for which this would not be fully realized:

MALENKO - for providing the amazing artwork that fit perfectly with the cabinet, control panel and other parts
MIKE BOSS - for providing the Mala Background and configuration
ADAM at MULTICADE.CA - for providing me a great deal on the joysticks and buttons

And, of course, to the ARCADE GAMING COMMUNITY as a whole, for keeping this hobby alive!

Mamezilla

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2024, 09:35:53 pm
Hey Rick, did you have the marquee and sideart printed locally ?  If so, were these done at Staples ?  I might start building my Titan during Easter weekend, but have no idea what artwork to use.  Any idea what could look good on a Titan ?
Don't throw rocks to a man with a machine gun
-- Rowdy Roddy Piper --

Rick

• Offline Offline
Hey Rick, did you have the marquee and sideart printed locally?  If so, were these done at Staples?

I had the sideart printed at Souldraw.com, and they turned out incredible. They're all vinyl, and look incredible. I did have the bezel art printed (as an afterthought) at Staples and DO NOT RECOMMEND. It turned out "okay", but with two major issues - one, when I had the art printed, I sent it in with picture-perfect dimensions in the file, and they printed it too small. Seriously - it was about 3/4" shorter on each side. That is unacceptable. (Worst part was that they have a real jerk running our print shop here in Ajax, and she argued with me that I should have specified the size when I sent it, rather than expecting them to "know how to print it properly." Isn't that your frigging job?)

The second problem is that you can see that the resolution isn't as good as the vinyl either. Thankfully, it's behind the plexi, and it looks 'acceptable'. Next time, however, I'll go with Souldraw for everything.

I might start building my Titan during Easter weekend, but have no idea what artwork to use.  Any idea what could look good on a Titan?

Google "Taito Side Art" and check out pictures there. That's the inspiration for the Titan's lines, and should give you some ideas of what you could do.

Rick

• Offline Offline
A quick render of the latest order... ...hope to see this one delivered next week:

And, so you don't think I'm sitting around being lazy, a quick new design for the shop. It's still very basic. I haven't added much of my own 'design' to this design. It's more of a first draft.

I can't explain it, but I've received more requests for full-size cabinets in the past week than I have since I started building.

Mamezilla

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2024, 09:35:53 pm
Nice job Rick !   :applaud:
Now I just have to find artwork for my Titan.  Wil probably have to go thru Souldraw.  Anyhow, Staples doesn't do adhesive vinyl prints of graphics / clipart.  They only do letters / words / numbers. This added to your experience convinced me to go elsewhere.
Do you plan to offer in the future some artworks for your kits ?  If I remember correctly, you did at a certain time.   
Don't throw rocks to a man with a machine gun
-- Rowdy Roddy Piper --

Rick

• Offline Offline
Nice job Rick !   :applaud: Now I just have to find artwork for my Titan.  Wil probably have to go thru Souldraw.  Anyhow, Staples doesn't do adhesive vinyl prints of graphics / clipart.  They only do letters / words / numbers. This added to your experience convinced me to go elsewhere. Do you plan to offer in the future some artworks for your kits? If I remember correctly, you did at a certain time.

I hope to. I haven't come up with a convincing layout as yet, but I'll keep you posted!

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
I hope to. I haven't come up with a convincing layout as yet, but I'll keep you posted!

I know a pretty good artist.

Rick

• Offline Offline
I know a pretty good artist.

I already checked, but Opt is busy.

>:D  ;)  :D  ;D

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline

Rick

• Offline Offline
Whoo whoo! Mystery box! Whoo whoo! Mystery box!

What is it? What could it be? Why is there a $300 box from China in my workshop???

Maybe the better question... How much ---goshdarn--- Galaxian green t-molding did I buy???

mike boss

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2021, 01:19:45 pm
Can not wait for my bartop to be ready.
I've been in the basement gathering parts.
This project will give me a chance to use up some of my inventory.
KADE for the controls, my scanline generator from CraftyMech, and
FINALLY I'll be able to use my external HDD with a super tricked out
Hyperspin install.

I was wondering Rick if you have a link to the strip you used for the marquee lighting ?
Do you find it to do a good job ?

Do you use 5V led buttons or 12V led buttons ?
How do you power them ?

PS - looks like a nice box of goodies. I'd like to see what you have in the works !
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 10:43:29 am by mike boss »

Rick

• Offline Offline
Can not wait for my bartop to be ready. I've been in the basement gathering parts. This project will give me a chance to use up some of my inventory. KADE for the controls, my scanline generator from CraftyMech, and FINALLY I'll be able to use my external HDD with a super tricked out Hyperspin install.

NICE. I'm just waiting on some replacement pieces - namely a back door and one of your cabinets' sides that I noticed had a nice big chip in it - and should have it all ready by this weekend.

I was wondering Rick if you have a link to the strip you used for the marquee lighting? Do you find it to do a good job?

It's ... okay. It's not as bright as a (much larger) fluorescent, but it does the job: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7393977&CatId=340

Do you use 5V led buttons or 12V led buttons? How do you power them?

I've only used regular buttons in the past. This is the first time I'll be using lighted buttons, but just received info on how to wire them up - they're 12V, and will be powered by the supply I ordered as well.

PS - looks like a nice box of goodies. I'd like to see what you have in the works!

AH! FINALLY, someone asks me what's in the box...

There is actually VERY LITTLE for me in the box. I presently have the following:

- a few different joysticks - both lighted and regular 2/4/8 way
- LED lighted buttons of various styles
- vinyl stand-offs for mounting boards (lots and lots and lots)
- some arcade power supplies
- buttloads of t-molding

...and more. I'm presently evaluating the products, as well as the supplier's ability to provide me with said product on a timely and cost-effective basis, to sell in my store. I hope to be able to provide the Canadian market with product quality and pricing similar to (and in, some cases, better than) our U.S. counterparts.

So - if anyone has a recommendation of product they'd like me to import, please let me know!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 08:12:17 am by Rick »

mike boss

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2021, 01:19:45 pm
Thank you for the info.

Kevinchrysler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 31, 2019, 11:18:37 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Hey Rick I noticed you mentioned multicade Canada but I went to make an order but it said they didn't ship to ontario?

Rick

• Offline Offline
Hey Rick I noticed you mentioned multicade Canada but I went to make an order but it said they didn't ship to ontario?

Well, I'm in Ontario, and I've received shipments before - I certainly hope they still do! (I haven't placed an order in the past month or so, but if you talk to Aaron, he'll definitely let you know.)

Rick

• Offline Offline
New Product: The Speedster Racing Kit

It's precision designed and CNC cut from black melamine-covered hardboard, comes complete with t-molding slots cut, has double-tiered shelf construction and yes, the most important option ever driver needs: CUP HOLDERS!

Fashioned after the spoiler on many late-model sports cars (ok - after my old Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart) this sturdy racing platform allows you to attach most standard gaming steering, and has the additional lower platform to support pedals as well. The height allowance has been designed to work with most seating, to provide a comfortable driving experience. All you need to do is glue, clamp and drive! (And, if you want to paint the interior of the cup-holders, you could do that too!)

Be one of the first 10 people to order one right now for the ridiculously low introductory price of $80, and I will include the green t-molding you see in the image at no additional cost!

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
little bit of design feedback:

The sides should be shaped a little more like a letter A for stability. I know that with feet on the pedals and hands on the wheel its not likely to fall, but it just looks a little unstable.

I'd lower the bottom shelf (the one directly under where the wheel clamps on) a couple inches to make room for a console like a PS3 or XBOX360

Prolly lose the cupholders, or at least make them optional.

Attached is a very crude Photoshop. Cut me some slack, Im tired :/

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
If I were in the market for something like that, I'd want the front to be enclosed.

I also agree with the "A" framing idea. Seems like all the force will be pulling the stand forward.

Shoot video of you testing it!

Rick

• Offline Offline
Little bit of design feedback: The sides should be shaped a little more like a letter A for stability. I know that with feet on the pedals and hands on the wheel its not likely to fall, but it just looks a little unstable.

While it may not look it, it's very stable. This isn't actually the first design I've built of this table - the last one was ... damaged ... when my 12 year old accidentally stood on the bottom shelf when he backed up and didn't notice it was in the room. (It wasn't anywhere near as sturdy as this one - as it was hand-made, from terribly unstable melamine from Home Depot - and didn't have the mortise and tenon joinery this one does.)

I'd lower the bottom shelf (the one directly under where the wheel clamps on) a couple inches to make room for a console like a PS3 or XBOX360.

Now that's an idea I like! Never thought of that. (Without the wheel, it does house a keyboard and mouse nicely as well.)

Prolly lose the cupholders, or at least make them optional.

Agreed. This was our "home model", so yeah, cupholders were a must for my kids.

Attached is a very crude Photoshop. Cut me some slack, Im tired :/

You must be really tired, pal.

;)

If I were in the market for something like that, I'd want the front to be enclosed.

I considered that, but if I did that, I'd want it to have the smooth, curved flow, which would mean kerf cuts... I've wanted to do that for a while now, but haven't had the time.

I also agree with the "A" framing idea. Seems like all the force will be pulling the stand forward.

We'll agree to disagree. The look is part of the table's charm. (That, and when you're sitting, you can lean back like you're in a driver's seat for maximum effect! Works nicely on an Ikea Klippan sofa!)

That ... is a wonderful idea. I'll do just that!

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
Quote from: Rick

That ... is a wonderful idea. I'll do just that!

Sweet. Just make sure you have your pants on.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 08:35:00 pm by yotsuya »

Rick

• Offline Offline
Sweet. Just make sure you have your pants on.

No promises.

;)

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
you must be more tired, you quoted yots as me, more than once.

Rick

• Offline Offline
you must be more tired, you quoted yots as me, more than once.

After today's news, more 'sad' than tired. My CNC Shop has decided to move their focus back to their core business - which means CNC services won't be available after July 1. I'm forced to look around for a different solution, and hopefully they can do the same quality and work out similar pricing for the work I have.

:(

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
get them to CNC you the parts to make your own CNC

Rick

• Offline Offline
get them to CNC you the parts to make your own CNC

You say that like you don't think I've already asked that question.

Monkeyvoodoo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2024, 03:01:51 am
  • I swear I can stop at one. Or two.
    • threefoldhorse Custom
After today's news, more 'sad' than tired. My CNC Shop has decided to move their focus back to their core business - which means CNC services won't be available after July 1. I'm forced to look around for a different solution, and hopefully they can do the same quality and work out similar pricing for the work I have.

:(

Well this sucks. I still was planning on ordering a Nintendo cab from you this summer. Have you thought of selling the plans for people to cnc locally? :angel: Could be a way to raise some capital for getting your own 4x8 cnc built.

Rick

• Offline Offline
Well this sucks. I still was planning on ordering a Nintendo cab from you this summer.

Don't worry. I'm not giving up that easily. So far, this afternoon my Wife has sent me a set of various Business/Industrial locations for lease... ...so she's on the task right now.

Have you thought of selling the plans for people to cnc locally? :angel: Could be a way to raise some capital for getting your own 4x8 cnc built.

I thought about it... ...for about 2 seconds. I'm not big on "sharing". (I actually had a guy offer me $50 for the plans, right after telling me he had been planning on ordering 10+ cabs a month from me...)

:lol