Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: THE ARCADE SHOP at GAMEROOM DESIGNS - Arcade Systems, Kits, Parts & Accessories  (Read 244679 times)

VoltaTom

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2018, 09:42:10 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!

Woohoo!  Got mine today, on a Sunday no less... didn't know Canada Post delivered on Sundays.

Only in December they are delivering on Sundays! Pretty sweet.

Sent from my iPhone

Monkeyvoodoo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2024, 03:01:51 am
  • I swear I can stop at one. Or two.
    • threefoldhorse Custom

Hey Rick, are you shipping cats with these?

Rick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
Hey Rick, are you shipping cats with these?

Not me, dude. That's an aftershock from ordering one of my cabinets! Buy cabinet. Get ...

... a cat.

(I mean, come on guys. This is a family show.)

:D

mike boss

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2021, 01:19:45 pm
Great news and great progress !
You gotta share this info with the folks over on CGCC!

Rick

• Offline Offline
Great news and great progress! You gotta share this info with the folks over on CGCC!

Shared! The next bit of news I hope to share is when my website goes up... (OOP! I've said too much!) ;)

On a serious note, it looks like the next block of orders may be placed as soon as Friday of this week. If anyone is looking for an arcade cabinet, please let me know.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 10:02:35 am by Rick »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
So what's up with these? Those of you who bought these, what do you think? Been pretty quiet.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

SgtSlaughter

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2021, 10:38:50 am
I like mine for sure.  I haven't had a chance to do much with it yet, but I picked up my Plexi and some Laminate to cover it.  I'm just waiting for my trim router to come in the mail.  I'll start a thread once I get into things, but too early at this point. 

As far as Rick, last I heard I don't think he has had power since Christmas and has been living out of a hotel or something.  Not much keeps him from responding (except maybe lack of power) =).

wonderalex

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2019, 06:29:10 pm
Just wanted to say good on you Rick for doing this, we don't have many options for this up here.

I tried to do this about a while back here in Montreal after I lost my job- but I couldn't get an affordable price unless I ordered a very large quantity (IE: 100's of sets)- seriously considered getting my own CNC. Had I known about your effort earlier I would have ordered two bartops from you instead of cutting two out myself in my overly cramped workshop.

Any plans for full sized cabs?

Be seeing you,

WonderAlex

Rick

• Offline Offline
So what's up with these? Those of you who bought these, what do you think? Been pretty quiet.

Hey ho, I'm back! FINALLY, a day off after a very eventful end-of-the-year.

Yes, all of the current orders (from here) have been faithfully fulfilled, and I've been in contact with all of the recipients! Everybody has provided AMAZING feedback - and as I've requested, I've received the positive AND negative, and continue to improve my product and services accordingly. I'll post more on that later in the day, after I get the NEXT set of cabinets shipped out. (For those keeping track, so far, I'm up to four original orders, one repeat customer with an additional two cabinets, two new orders, and a full-on customer commissioned Galaga inspired finished cabinet!)

I like mine for sure.  I haven't had a chance to do much with it yet, but I picked up my Plexi and some Laminate to cover it.  I'm just waiting for my trim router to come in the mail.  I'll start a thread once I get into things, but too early at this point.

I can't wait! (No seriously, I can't wait. Get 'er done!)

Mr. Slaughter (You can't spell "slaughter" without "laughter"!) has been one of my most vocal respondents! His feedback was amazing, and I can't wait to see his build!

As far as Rick, last I heard I don't think he has had power since Christmas and has been living out of a hotel or something.  Not much keeps him from responding (except maybe lack of power) =).

Lack of power. Lack of time. Etc. Etc. Ad nauseum. ;)

Yes, on December 25, mid-day, we lost power. Our neighbour's neighbour's tree had fallen into my neighbour's yard on the 21st, pulling her power lines out of her house, and knocking the 'stack' (where power comes in) off of ours. She lost power on the 21st, but we didn't. Presumably, on the 25th, the local power company came by and saw the damage, and cut us off as well. After visiting with Family (yay, warm!), we returned to a cold house and  stuck it out that night - where the heat dropped to 4 degrees - and I had to return to work the next day. (Boxing Day in Retail? 'nuff said.) When I drove home that night, I received a page from my Wife that she and my 6-year-old were in the local motel.

What can I say? We were lucky. We were warm. We were together. It was everything I needed and more.

So, anyway - fast forward to late last week. We returned to the house, had an electrician come in and repair the stack (but not before showing me a 4" piece of BURNED WIRING from the last electrician, who had NEGLECTED TO TIGHTEN THE SCREWS TO THE MAIN POWER COMING INTO THE HOUSE) and the result was a length of burned wiring, where it had been arcing and sparking for who knows how long. After the repair, we got the power back, and have been cleaning up the mess ever since.

Holiday Groceries, gone. Christmas Eve dinner, gone. Bleh.

So anyway, now I'm back. I'm on a healthier two-days-off-a-week schedule, and I hope to be a bit more active.

Just wanted to say good on you Rick for doing this, we don't have many options for this up here. I tried to do this about a while back here in Montreal after I lost my job- but I couldn't get an affordable price unless I ordered a very large quantity (IE: 100's of sets)- seriously considered getting my own CNC. Had I known about your effort earlier I would have ordered two bartops from you instead of cutting two out myself in my overly cramped workshop.

Thanks! I DO have plans for my own CNC in the future, but for right now... ...I've said too much! ;)

Any plans for full sized cabs?

I do. I'm working on some designs right now, for local pickup only. The shipping of these might be counter-productive, but hey, you never know. I just might be able to swing something!

Be seeing you,

Be seeing you!

Rick

• Offline Offline
Update!

One of my customers from Kijiji is the first out of the gate with some images! (Well, one image.) Here we go:

It's only the first coat, but it's a good looking start to a bartop DK cabinet, don't you think?

SgtSlaughter

• Offline Offline
Oh the race is on!!!!

Rick

• Offline Offline
Oh the race is on!!!!

Oh? There's a race? Does this mean I need to post pics of my own Galaga inspired cabinet commission?

yotsuya

• Offline Offline

Rick

• Offline Offline

yotsuya

• Offline Offline

What the ---fudgesicle--- was that?  >:D

SgtSlaughter

• Offline Offline
Oh man... he puts Ric Flair to shame. 

Rick

• Offline Offline
What the ---fudgesicle--- was that?  >:D

Dude. You don't know QWOP? The most aggravatingly simple/impossible game ever?

Billy_Goatfeet

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2023, 08:00:07 am
  • Bleat.

Wow, loving this thread!!  The flop videos really put it over the top!!   ;D  Rick, I am loving the product line, it looks great.  Even better that a fellow Ajax resident is creating them!  Including Mike Boss we are representing this fine albeit presently cold little town... I am loving the Widebody pinball cab, I thought that would be the project AFTER my current one but I can't resist.  Will be keeping an eye on this thread, await word on when you are ready to take orders on the Pinball cab.   Cheers!!

Rick Flair really has perfected that flop move...  :laugh2:

BG.

I am the great "threadkiller!!"....watch me go.

Rick

• Offline Offline
Rick, I am loving the product line, it looks great. Even better that a fellow Ajax resident is creating them! Including Mike Boss we are representing this fine albeit presently cold little town...

Thanks, sir! Much appreciated! I'm happy to be providing the service! The majority of my cabinets have been shipped to various points in Ontario, with one going out to Quebec and the furthest out to BC.

I am loving the Widebody pinball cab, I thought that would be the project AFTER my current one but I can't resist. Will be keeping an eye on this thread, await word on when you are ready to take orders on the Pinball cab.

Hmm. Well, I WAS going to build up the Widebody myself... ...but I'm sure I could part with it. :D I do have one Widebody kit, sitting here in my workshop. It's yours for $250, if you would like it. I haven't sourced a box for it as yet, but can definitely give you the parts together, grouped with shipping wrap. (Local pickup, but that doesn't sound like it would be an issue.) Let me know if you're interested!

Thanks again!

Billy_Goatfeet

• Offline Offline
  • Bleat.

Hey Rick, I did have one question about the widebody pinball, the specs state a 29" flat-screen monitor for the backglass, I am assuming we are talking about a 4:3 lcd at that.  This seems like an odd size...is this going to be very difficult to source?  Yeah, no need for boxes or wrap for that matter.  I am in the Westney/Rossland area so I am pretty close to you by the sounds of it.  If you are hoping I will be assembling this thing soon so that you can use it for a reference piece, I won't be on it immediately.  I have a project to finish first.  If that changes things for you I can wait. 

BG.

Rick

• Offline Offline
Hey BG,

The interior dimensions of the backbox are 27 1/3" wide (with a view-able area of 25 1/3" wide  after edges of the backbox face) by 19.70" high view-able area... It's as close to 'original specs' as I could get, and I did my best to maximize the visible area of the screen. You can definitely use a 16:9 or 16:10 LCD in there, and simply use painted/covered plexi to cover off the unused portions of the screen.

You are really close - I'm just south of Hwy 2 off Harwood. You're certainly welcome to the kit! No pressure on starting or finishing - I certainly know how that is. I've got a bunch of irons in the fire myself! Let me know when you'd like to drop by, and I'll wrap the kit and have it ready for you.

Billy_Goatfeet

• Offline Offline
  • Bleat.

Hey Rick, yeah, you are quite close!  I had to do some Williams wide body project research, I admit that I haven't gone that deep into this as it was a 'future' project.  I am more confident that this will work for me now so count me in.  Will PM you for details.  Cheers.

BG.

Rick

• Offline Offline
I had to do some Williams wide body project research, I admit that I haven't gone that deep into this as it was a 'future' project. I am more confident that this will work for me now so count me in. Will PM you for details. Cheers.

PM received, and replied to. Thanks!

As for everybody else waiting with baited breath... ...I'm ordering some amazing art that Malenko worked on for me (thanks man!) so I can complete a Galaga cab. I've assembled it, and have given her the first paint job. (An hour with brushes and rollers and some nice, satin black paint.) She looks nice so far!

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
You know who else is proudly Canadian?

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:02:44 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
 :laugh2:

Rick

• Offline Offline
You know who else is proudly Canadian?

YOUR MOM.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 12:34:21 am by Rick »

SgtSlaughter

• Offline Offline
ohhhh, nice!  I'm liking this, finally a local dealer!  See if you can carry some of Randy's line, love his products.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
I'd like to apply for ownership of the Gameroom Designs Arizona franchise, plz.  :cheers:

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
I'd like to apply for ownership of the Gameroom Designs Arizona franchise, plz.  :cheers:

:angry:

Rick

• Offline Offline
Ok, question time!!!

I'm trying to finish up a customer commission, and need to figure this out. He's asked for a Galaga-themed 6-button MAME setup. (He wants to play the vertical classics like Galaga and PacMan and also wants to play horizontal games like Mortal Kombat.) I have a 19" 4:3 monitor, so it's very close either way.

I guess what I'm asking is, does it even really make that much of a difference what orientation the monitor is?

Also, obligatory:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

;)

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
Ok, question time!!!

I'm trying to finish up a customer commission, and need to figure this out. He's asked for a Galaga-themed 6-button MAME setup. (He wants to play the vertical classics like Galaga and PacMan and also wants to play horizontal games like Mortal Kombat.) I have a 19" 4:3 monitor, so it's very close either way.

I guess what I'm asking is, does it even really make that much of a difference what orientation the monitor is?

Also, obligatory:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

;)

Just do it horizontal. Instruct your customer to use the bezel option in MAME for the vertical classics, and it's not an issue at all. Are you installing other hardware as well?

Rick

• Offline Offline
Just do it horizontal. Instruct your customer to use the bezel option in MAME for the vertical classics, and it's not an issue at all.

Cool. Makes sense! Thanks!

Are you installing other hardware as well?

Yes. I've been checking through my parts box, and found myself an uber AMD Athlon 1100MHz w/1GB RAM, AGP Video w/256MB on-board, and 160GB Hard Drive. Should work ok, I'd think.

8)

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
What about joysticks and encoder?

Rick

• Offline Offline
What about joysticks and encoder?

Yup. Got him a Zippy 2/4/8-way switchable and some buttons (in my store soon!) and an encoder (forget which one) that I had ordered a while back. I'll be posting some pics later today - right now, my kitchen table looks like this:

SgtSlaughter

• Offline Offline
That's looking like my office... I got parts all over the entire room....  I'm just trying to figure out how I'm going to fit a full size motherboard in this thing with a power supply, subwoofer, and smart strip...  In addition, the only spare power supply I have for this thing is 750W which is way overkill....  Oh well...

Rick

• Offline Offline
Ok, progress! So, for all of you wondering what my cabinets actually look like ASSEMBLED (since it would seem that I'm a bit further ahead than many of my customers - wink, wink!) I figured I'd show a bit of my current customer commission.

There's still a LOT to go, and I'm trying to do too many things at once. I'm not happy with the paint finish yet, but I think some wet sanding with very, very fine grit sandpaper might fix that all up - but that, in itself, may be moot once the artwork arrives. (Yes, that's printed on my home inkjet printer. That's certainly NOT the final control panel overlay.

I like the way the MDF feels - it's a lot like the cabinets I grew up playing. The bartop itself is nice and SOLID (am I allowed to blow my own horn?) and I even threw in some extra brackets for good measure, although i'm sure I'll never need them. (Yes, the "Hardcore Player Bracket Kit" will be available in the store soon!)

Many, many thanks to Malenko for the (Hey, I didn't realize Galaga had six buttons?!) "artwork makeover!"

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
When are you gonna get a decent camera?  >:D

Rick

• Offline Offline