Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: THE ARCADE SHOP at GAMEROOM DESIGNS - Arcade Systems, Kits, Parts & Accessories  (Read 245469 times)

Rick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
The idea of bartop units that borrow from the classics is a great idea. I can see why people are so excited! As I said before I can't wait to see pics of the Nintendo inspired model all put together.

I'm excited for this too! If I can, I'm hoping to assemble everything, and have a "group photo"... A few bartops and a pinball cab!

Rick

• Offline Offline
2013.11.08 - The Day

05:30 : The alarm goes off, and my Wife goes to shower and get ready for work.
05:48 : My Wife returns from the washroom, wakes me, and starts to get dressed.
05:50 : I start getting dressed, and go in to help my six-year old get ready.
06:09 : Breakfast! Om nom nom nom! Coffee! Mmmmmm...
06:27 : Time to brush our teeth and get ready to leave.
06:38 : Dressed and out the door! Time for us to drive my Wife to catch the train to Toronto. (ugh)
06:59 : Kiss my Wife goodbye, and watch her walk towards the train. Drive my Son back to his daycare.
07:06 : Return to the car, and open the rear hatch. Empty the contents of the trunk, and fold down the rear seating. My body is ready.
07:10 : Reenter the house, sit down with coffee in hand (still warm!) and log in to BYOAC.
07:19 : Rest. Relax. Breathe. It is almost here.

...time to open my E-Mail, print the invoice for my parts pickup, and Google directions to the location so that I can be there for when they open their doors at 09:00. Today is going to be a good day.

Rick

• Offline Offline
Well, it certainly wouldn't be my thread if I didn't post a 'good news, bad news' story, now would it?

Here's the good news:

I'm in the middle of my first load! It's all AMAZING LOOKING. The quality is definitely top notch.  Here's the bad news. When the supplied replaced some stock that didn't cut right, because it was their issue, they ate the cost, and ordered me some wood. The bad part comes in where the wood they ordered is actually almost 1/8" wider than mine.

This wouldn't be too big of a deal if most of these pieces weren't tenons, the part that fits into the mortises... ...basically, the 'tabs' that fit into the 'slots'. The original pieces that are cut fit very, very tight - which is expected. The larger ones won't. Ever.

I've already sent my e-mail, asking for a quick resolution, and hope to have one very, very soon. As it is, I'm going to do an inventory of the affected parts, and see if I can get a few items assembled for pics. If I'm very, very lucky (which doesn't seem to happen much, does it?) I'll have pictures of me smiling very soon.

But right now, I've got to take Terry (the warehouse guy who's really great) his coffee, and get me some more parts.

ONWARD!!!

:D

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:56:20 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
I got $50 shipped for one of your goofed cabinets.  I'll just run the edges across my table router.

:cheers:

Rick

• Offline Offline
I got $50 shipped for one of your goofed cabinets.  I'll just run the edges across my table router.

Let me see if I have enough of the improperly sized pieces to build a full-on cabinet. I don't think I do, but if I'm wrong, we can talk. (See, mebronx? That's how it's done.)

;)

Rick

• Offline Offline
Also, not even 10 minutes after I e-mailed the CNC guy to let him know about the issues, I received this response:

Please send an assembly to my attention, we will certainly recut the oversized parts. Clearly someone grabbed the wrong stock.

So, we're good.

Now, I gotta go unload my second batch of parts. There's quite a bit of furring that I'll try and touch up and sand out, but it all looks AMAZING! I'm especially excited to see what a pinball machine looks like all assembled.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:57 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
You must have jinxed yourself because you used a photo of Ice Cube when referencing a Dr. Dre song.  :cheers:

Glad they are going to make it right so quickly.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Rick

• Offline Offline
You must have jinxed yourself because you used a photo of Ice Cube when referencing a Dr. Dre song. :cheers:

Oh?

Glad they are going to make it right so quickly.

So am I, my friend!

:applaud:

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
OK, just checked. I will admit to being wrong. I will admit the lily-white Canadian has better Gangsta Rap skills than I do.  :notworthy:

Rick

• Offline Offline
I will admit the lily-white Canadian has better Gangsta Rap skills than I do.

*Nervously looks around for the hidden camera.*

No worries, good sir. Both Cube and Dre were in NWA back in the day, so it's easy to get them mixed up sometimes. (Can I call them "Cube" and "Dre"? I mean, with me being "lily-white" and all. LMAO.) On a serious note, I once Tweeted Ice-T about how Ice Cube went from hardcore rapper to the guy in the "Are We There Yet?" family flicks, and he replied to me, "N-word's can't be angry all the motherfuckin' time."

:lol

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
I will admit the lily-white Canadian has better Gangsta Rap skills than I do.

*Nervously looks around for the hidden camera.*

No worries, good sir. Both Cube and Dre were in NWA back in the day, so it's easy to get them mixed up sometimes. (Can I call them "Cube" and "Dre"? I mean, with me being "lily-white" and all. LMAO.) On a serious note, I once Tweeted Ice-T about how Ice Cube went from hardcore rapper to the guy in the "Are We There Yet?" family flicks, and he replied to me, "N-word's can't be angry all the motherfuckin' time."

Actually, I can't stand Gangsta Rap, but back in 1993 the girl I was dating did. If you want a little something something, you don't change the radio dial.

Rick

• Offline Offline
If you want a little something something, you don't change the radio dial.

Words to live by.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:56:20 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band

Didn't Ice-T and Ice Cube go to the same dance school in the 80s?

Rick

• Offline Offline

Ice ... capades?

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:54:32 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
I find it pretty funny that Ice-T plays a cop on TV now... 

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
^wasn't he a cop way back in New Jack City? Or was he the bad guy? I don't remember....

Rick

• Offline Offline
^wasn't he a cop way back in New Jack City? Or was he the bad guy? I don't remember....

He played a cop, and had the best line EVER in that movie. "I want to kill you so bad..." ...look up the rest. Lol.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm

Ice ... capades?

You're thinking Vanilla Ice...?

Rick

• Offline Offline
So, I'm ... almost ... there!

I've just spent the past couple of hours outside, trying to cut off the remaining tabs (my CNC guy doesn't have a vacuum table, sadly) and sand up the edges so they are up to an acceptable level of quality. I have the majority of the parts in piles, around my dining room, so that I can identify all of the pieces, as well as the ones that are improper sizes and the ones that are missing. (It looks like maybe 3 pieces may have been either misplaced or accidentally thrown out with the waste wood.)

No worries either way - my CNC guy is ready for the "here's what's missing" order, and is committed to making it right. Good on him.

So - do I continue dusting and vacuuming my back hall, or do you want me to snap some pictures [to_haruman]with my Nikon D3100 camera[/to_haruman]?

>:D

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:54:32 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
So - do I continue dusting and vacuuming my back hall, or do you want me to snap some pictures [to_haruman]with my Nikon D3100 camera[/to_haruman]?

Did you not see the non-potato camera pic?

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,130522.msg1399769.html#msg1399769

You better get dusting and vacuuming before your wife finds what you did...  >:D

Rick

• Offline Offline
Did you not see the non-potato camera pic?

I did! Looks awesome! (The Midway Rep forwarded it to me.)

;)

You better get dusting and vacuuming before your wife finds what you did...  >:D

Too true!

Rick

• Offline Offline
Alright, that took way too long. Here's some pics of what I've got done:

So, I have one complete Williams Widebody kit, one Midway inspired, two Nintendo inspired and one Taito inspired kit.

Orders are now OPEN for the next set. I still have to contact those who want these ones. If you're interested, please PM me with your e-mail address, and I'll contact you that way. Constant PM's back and forth fill up my inbox fast!

Thank you!!!

mike boss

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2021, 01:19:45 pm
I gotta see a complete Nintendo...................cant wait !

Rick

• Offline Offline
I gotta see a complete Nintendo...................cant wait !

Do you know how irritating it is to have a dining room full of these parts, and not be able to assemble them??? Allow me to explain:

I cut the mortises (the slots) into the sides at 5/8", to match the depth of the tenons (the tabs), which I see now was a mistake. Without at least 1/8" clearance (I should have made the mortises 11/16") I fear that the tenons won't fit into the slots without squeezing the MDF significantly - and this would mean using a rubber mallet, which would more than likely damage the wood.

So, I am going to setup my router table and shave the tenons on everything - the internal supports, the tops and bottoms (and in the case of the Contender, the marquee base), so that they are just under 11/16" depth... ...and this should fix all of the problems for assembly. I'm hoping that I get a good day to do it (right now, it's raining) and in line with the same time I receive my replacement parts from the CNC shop.

Once I've done that, everything will be assembled, photographed, packed and shipped!

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Just don't forget to notify the CNC guy that you need to adjust the tenons -- It's one thing to have to fix it on the first run but even worse if you go to production and forget to fix it beforehand in the plans !!!!

Rick

• Offline Offline
Just don't forget to notify the CNC guy that you need to adjust the tenons -- It's one thing to have to fix it on the first run but even worse if you go to production and forget to fix it beforehand in the plans !!!!

Smart.

I do actually have to re-engage with the CNC guy, because last time, I provided him with all of the current assemblies (two Contenders, two Titans, one Galaxy and one Pinball Machine) and he used the nesting capabilities of the CAM software to maximize the spacing. That meant that a lot of different parts of different assemblies found there way into different sheets. Going forward, I would really like to standardize a single sheet, so that I might fit two of the same bartop on the same sheet. Only then, would I be happy with sending in a request without an attached assembly.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
I'm like a kid @ X-Mass waiting in anticipation. ;D
I keep coming back waiting for the updates.
Really excited, glad it's all coming together Rick. :applaud:

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
You going to put one of these on the back of every cab:

opt2not

• Offline Offline
The True North, Strong and Free.  :cheers:

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
Will it be standard to mount the hockey stick holder on the back, or do clients have to specially request that?

opt2not

• Offline Offline
That's a great idea. Though this might be too cumbersome to pack on my dog-sled. ;)

Also, hockey is the greatest sport in the world. Just sayin.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
That's a great idea. Though this might be too cumbersome to pack on my dog-sled. ;)

Also, hockey is the greatest sport in the world. Just sayin.

Oh, I agree with you about hockey. I'm been going to games here in Arizona since 1990 (minors, then NHL).

Rick

• Offline Offline
You going to put one of these on the back of every cab:

Funny you mention that. I was considering something similar.

;)

Oh, I agree with you about hockey. I'm been going to games here in Arizona since 1990 (minors, then NHL).

I'm a bad Canadian. I don't even watch hockey. Then I make jokes in poor taste, like MS-Painting a Leafs logo over someone else's favourite team's logo on a cocktail cabinet they made... Some people are real fans.

Of course, I do support Canadian sports. I believe the CFL is a better game than the NFL (for whatever reason my Grade 7 gym teacher gave me thirty years ago) even though I never watch football, and I happily pay a bit towards my twelve-year-old Son's rep-level hockey attendance.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
No wonder you didn't reply to my email about the Canucks/Leafs game.
But good on you Rick, not all Canadians need to watch hockey. Personally I'm a fan of the big 3, hockey, basketball and football. NFL though, I can't stand CFL. The rule changes are too much in the favour of a passing game only and the production values seem less than Collage football.

The whole hockey thing is actually something I've been getting annoyed of lately. This country puts way too much emphasis in the sport that it dwarfs any other support for the others.
In fact, the association of patriotism and sports in Canada has been really laid on thick.  For example, Canadian teams get preferential broadcasting for other sports other than hockey. Basketball and baseball is the worst. There could be an awesome rivalry NBA game scheduled, say OKC vs Miami, but it won't get broadcasted because its not the crappy Raptors. Baseball's the same,  unless its the Bluejays, we don't care to show anything else. Not sure if this is different back east, but in the west its real sad that we're forced to watch the two Toronto teams.

I personally would not like hockey to define Canadians. We've done much more than that (see inventions, our part in wars, our social advancements, environmental awareness, great taste in beer...).

We try so hard to differentiate ourselves from Americans, that its really only cared about in this country, something that strokes our own egos. You're average American knows nothing about Canada, nor do they care to, USA has enough problems of their own.  And in the world, unless you specifically point-out that you're Canadian, most people just assume you're american. But i advise you to do point-out you're Canadian, especially in the European countries, you'll get more friendly interactions.

This is a big deal for me lately because the wife and i are planning our first child, and it got me thinking what sport will he/she clamber onto? I want my kid(s) to have a variety of choice, not just raise your typical Canadian hockey players.

Sorry for the rant.

Back on topic, if you are going to mark where its made, i'd suggest branding it on the inside.
(Actually, this whole thing got me thinking that perhaps the wood that the other guys are using is from Canada too! I wouldn't be surprised if it was imported wood...:lol)

mike boss

• Offline Offline
5 days...no update.....Rick your killing us! lol

In all seriousness I wanted to share this :

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/f15t8-fluorescent-direct-wire-undercabinet-fixture-18-inches/980573

I use these in all my cabinets, they sell @ Home Depot for about $12.
But what I noticed other day was cool. I remove the plastic that covers the bulb to get a more bright marquee.
I took the curved plastic cover and placed it overtop my Nintendo bracket. Was near perfect !
I thought perhaps  I could use some black poster board on the underside and then paint this gloss back and use as a bracket for one of your machines.

Just thought I'd share.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
I personally would not like hockey to define Canadians. We've done much more than that (see inventions, our part in wars, our social advancements, environmental awareness, great taste in beer...).

And Loverboy AND Justin Beiber!

/double-sarcasm

Also, for the record, when I went to Taiwan I told everyone I was Canadian American Stigma sucks.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Rick

• Offline Offline
And Loverboy AND Justin Beiber! /double-sarcasm

I'm sorry. Headstones and William Shatner, you say? Ryan Gosling for the ladies? (and 'comfortable-with-their-sexuality' guys) April Wine and Michael J. Fox? Bachman Turner Overdrive and Jim Carrey?

Also, for the record, when I went to Taiwan I told everyone I was Canadian American Stigma sucks.

I watched an 'educational video' with work once, where they advised American travelers to sew a Canadian flag on their backpacks when traveling to countries that were considered 'less safe' than others.

Go Us.

;)

opt2not

• Offline Offline
I watched an 'educational video' with work once, where they advised American travelers to sew a Canadian flag on their backpacks when traveling to countries that were considered 'less safe' than others.

Go Us.

;)
Yeah I don't agree with that at all. Has the potential to sully the good Canadian name. Some Americans are a bit too American, if you know what I mean. My wife has here moments, which prompts me to remind her she's not living in the States anymore, and in some places in Vancouver, acting like that will get you in a fight.  We've had our fair share of hate from the ignorant around here.

Rick

• Offline Offline
Ok, BACK TO THE WOOD!

Here's the current status. I've been working way too many hours - so many, many apologies for the number of 'non-posts'. In fact, I'm ready for work right now, and have a shift in a bit over an hour, with some things to do in the interim. So, I am truly sorry for the lack of updates.

I am still waiting for the completed recuts, and they should be along any time now. Once I have them, I will be working feverishly to trim down the edges to fit, as well as carving the t-molding channels, so that I can - finally - have a product worthy of showcasing! That being said, here's some IMPORTANT BREAKING NEWS!

I have placed an order with my CNC guy for 10 more sheets... ...and that's 4 more sheets than I had with this order right here. So, once everything is perfect, orders will commence, and more wood will be cut.

Keep watching this space for more info! And thank you for your continued patience.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Cant wait to see these all built Rick.
Leaning towards doing a Fix It Felix.

So I guess all issues with the CNC guys have been sorted out now ?
It should be a simple order process now ?