Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Megatouch Auto Test  (Read 20293 times)

mahkeymike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:05:53 pm
Re: Megatouch Auto Test
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2013, 01:11:54 am »
So is my mobo broken then?

You may get some life out of it by manually putting a power switch on the power_on pin and GND (like a computer tower has) But eventually a cap, resistor, or regulator is going to burn out. I would start by having someone replace the caps. Or just except the fact that its going to die and make funeral arrangements.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2013, 01:45:39 am »
Actually, considering you have an upright cabinet, your not limited to space. You could mount any intel i810/i810E/i815 chipset mobo. Im sure if you look on ebay you could probably get one shipped for under $20usd. I know you mentioned you live in the uk so getting an official mobo would probably cost you a fortune in shipping, not to mention what ebay sellers are charging for these ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- mobo's. You mention you have 2006.5, I havent tested that version, but i know for a fact that some "non official" mobo's work right out of the box on 2007.5 and not on 2008+. So you may get lucky. If not, Its easy to "patch" it to work. ;)

didgey101

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2015, 04:56:25 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2013, 04:56:19 am »
so will this do?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MSI-MS-6188-FlexATX-Socket-370-i810E-Motherboard-/141031307963?pt=UK_Computing_LaptopMotherboards_CPUs_CA&hash=item20d61efabb

Also the little black plug that goes onto the power switch header....I do take it that it sits with its left side on the two pins that I am jumping? Just thought I would ask as the plug will sit anywhere on that set of pins and i didnt look when I took it off.....

Thanks again....

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:40:51 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2013, 09:52:03 am »
I would try going into the bios and setting the power on AC loss setting to "off", saving, then shutting down and rebooting. then going back and setting it to "on" again. I've had boards that get stuck settings before too.

Also, failing that, I would give this a try:

http://www.pealefamily.net/tech/captrick/

didgey101

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2013, 11:00:24 am »
Thanks for the info, will try the bios settings tonight and if that fails its another trip to maplin to get a cap and a plug.....will keep you posted..thanks again

didgey101

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2013, 11:04:08 am »
are the two power connector pins that I will be attaching the cap to the same leftmost two pins that I have been shorting to jump start??

Many thanks....

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2013, 11:29:19 am »
I would try going into the bios and setting the power on AC loss setting to "off", saving, then shutting down and rebooting. then going back and setting it to "on" again. I've had boards that get stuck settings before too.

Also, failing that, I would give this a try:

http://www.pealefamily.net/tech/captrick/

He said he already replaced the battery. So the settings were already cleared.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2013, 11:43:08 am »
so will this do?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MSI-MS-6188-FlexATX-Socket-370-i810E-Motherboard-/141031307963?pt=UK_Computing_LaptopMotherboards_CPUs_CA&hash=item20d61efabb

Thanks again....

I cant seem to find any solid info on that mobo. Once thing i noticed is that it has a winbond superIO where the official mobo has a ITE chip. Its 50/50 toss up if it will work straight out the box, you may need to patch a few files but it should work.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2013, 12:02:38 pm »
I find this boot issue mostly with megatouches that shut down due to power surges or brownouts or has shut down because it's overheated. Even though the board is set to boot on AC power up, they won't. I always have to jump start them and reload the BIOS settings. Usually a "load failsafe mode" then a "load optimal settings" is enough to get it operating normally again...but occasionally i get a stubborn one that won't boot on again that I have to set to AC power loss setting to "off", reboot, set it back to "on" before it boots properly again.

I have no idea why they do this. i believe it might be a kind of failsafe mode for misconfigurations so you can still boot the computer to fix the settings. I overclock my desktop, and after I initially built it, sometimes I would push it a little too far and it wouldn't even post after it would reboot. I would shut it down and boot it again... and it would boot back up in a "failsafe" mode so i could get to the bios to redo the settings. But it would ignore all the existing settings (which VGA adapter, internal or PCIe to use as the main display etc) so i'd always have to swap the display over to the analog VGA connection. But that's besides the point. perhaps a similar thing happens with these boards.  :dunno

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2013, 12:55:39 pm »
the super io chip is pretty universal. it's position in the scheme of things is just to provide connectivity for the parallel, serial, floppy, keyboard, and mouse connections. it's not driver specific as the data is effectively handled by the southbridge.

as long as the southbridge, northbridge, and audio chipsets are similar/same it's shouldn't get too complicated to swap.

mahkeymike has been doing some chopping regarding the software and loading new drivers to use other boards. He's far more versed in linux than I am, I haven't a clue when it comes to linux...I'm a DOS dude.  :lol

didgey101

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2013, 03:52:50 pm »
I've got to be honest now this is starting to get a bit daunting for me . Im fine with bios settings, fitting the odd cap here and there etc but if it gets to the point where I have to have anything to do with linux or dos code its out of my league.  I have a little man shed with a nice sound system,Professional dart board, flat screen on the wall with mario kart etc , a fridge for my beer and my megatouch.  I hope to get it fixed with all the kind support from you guys but I dont have the indepth experience you guys do. I will have another bash at the bios settings and then will have a go at making the little cap unit lilshawn suggested but if that doesn't work and I cant get a cheaply sourced mobo in the uk I feel im going to be a bit stuck. Will do my best and keep you posted. Thank you loads

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2013, 10:27:18 pm »
hey dude make this easy on yourself
just tie in a momterny switch >press to colse< then it self realses
find a spot to put it where u can mount it if u care
play the dang game till the mobo goes south..then worrie about it..
not like it is going on a route or such,so who relly gives a frat how u get it to boot ??
save the headache play the machine..drink a few cold 1's,with the thought in your mind,u will one day be servicing it......what i would do for a home game

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2013, 03:31:20 am »
I normally dont understand a word ed says, but I agree, you should just rig a switch to your mobo, and make the best of it till it takes a steaming pile of feces. If you want to get your hands dirty after that, Let me know.

didgey101

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2013, 06:20:48 am »
Hi guys. Sorry ive not been back on ive been working away for 3 weeks. Right ive done the cap trick...no joy. I installed a momentary switch...no joy and now it wont even fire up by shorting the two pins anymore so I take it my mobo is rest in pieces?
Cheers...tim

didgey101

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2013, 07:20:15 am »
It lives!!!!!!

I was pretty much ready to give up but I just had a thought from my old fruit machine fixing days.
When we used to take a fruit machine offsite from a pub we used to dump all the on board memory to reset all past payouts and % from the previous site by shorting the battery. We noticed that some machines that had a removable battery still held enough charge to remember its previous settings even though the battery had been shorted so we used to short out the two battery connecters for a minute or so and that did the trick.
So what I just did was remove the new cmos battery in the megatouch and I connected a wire to both the pos and negative connecters in the cmos seat, replaced the battery and now it springs into life perfectly.
Dont know how the thought came into my head but glad it did and hopefully that might be of help to someone else in the future.
Many thanks for all your help and advice with this one guys just pleased I kept digging before buying a new mobo.....Tim

smartbomb2084

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2021, 03:14:53 pm
  • Having a SMART phone will make you DUMB.
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2013, 08:09:11 am »
That's great!!!  Thanks for posting back....

I had to do that CMOS Clear trick on a DELL motherboard in an ARCADE LEDGENDS once on the advice of tech support...but it didn't work.

Never had to do it on a Megatouch board before...Gonna have to write that down for future use..Thanks for the lesson...