Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Basic question about videocards.  (Read 3466 times)

KyoDemer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2013, 07:28:55 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Basic question about videocards.
« on: August 07, 2013, 04:35:14 am »
As of recently I got my hands on an abandon computer that, initially I had no idea what to do with it, but then an idea struck.  Why not build a MAME like system to replace an ailing Pentium II laptop that was doing the same thing.

I don't want to deal with Windows so having it run XP was out, but I got hit with a one two punch.

The computer in question is an HP 5700 slimline desktop with, a useless ADD2 16x E-PCI slot on a half height card cage.

Front Panel, not much exciting here.

Back panel:  The fact this computer has PS/2 ports makes me quite happy.  I'll be using them.

Smidge on the dusty side in there, but I'll be cleaning it out good, the previous owner did smoke around it.  And the USELESS ADD2 slot.

What I'm asking is will the Intel integrated graphics chipset be suitable for 16 bit and up, or should I sink a little cash in and buy a PCI half height card?

The systems I'm seeking to emulate are: NES, SNES, N64, PS1 and if I can get away with it DOS 6.2 (that one is easy :P)

sairuk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 25, 2019, 02:24:17 am
    • mameau
Re: Basic question about videocards.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 03:27:12 am »
You won't get reliable PS1 nor N64 out of the onboard graphics. The others should be ok depending on system specs
mameau - My random bits | Wah!Ki - A Wah!Cade wiki | Mah!Cade - Experimental Wah!cade Branch | ListGen | Lazarus

wombleboy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 09, 2013, 05:17:56 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Basic question about videocards.
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 02:52:35 pm »
You may have issues getting Xorg to run with that Intel chip too. I had a real nightmare trying to get a machine of a similar age/spec to work nicely. I probably would have just board a e-PCI card, had they not been so difficult to find cheaply