Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: analog joypad and Microsoft generic HID driver - deadzone  (Read 2727 times)

baritonomarchetto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:40:43 am
analog joypad and Microsoft generic HID driver - deadzone
« on: August 06, 2013, 03:32:37 am »
Hi guys,

my racing cab is interfaced with the PC via a generic analog pad (joy-hack, as reported HERE).

I had no problems up to today: the default deadzone the generic driver readily auto-installed by win XP was good for MAME.

Now, i have installed also model 2 emulator and i must say that the deadzone needs some tuning (needs to be reduced). I have no clue where this data is stored (in the registry maybe? No luck finding the dword up to now...).

DXTweak reports no deadzone, but if you test the pad on the control panel there are no doubt: a deadzone is applied.

Do you know where the deadzone value is stored (generic HID driver)? Are there more advanced drivers i can use with a generic gamepad (thrustmaster) with no dedicated drivers?

eventually i will hack a 30 pounds xbox360 gamepad, but i would prefer to use the 10 pounds i have just there  ::)

SailorSat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:05:06 pm
    • For Amusement Only e.V.
Re: analog joypad and Microsoft generic HID driver - deadzone
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 03:37:29 am »
Hm... May be a deadzone in the gamepads firmware.
My Logitech Wheels all have a slight deadzone using just the plain usb hid.

*EDIT*
Some cheap Hama Wheel as well as Ultimarcs A-PAC however seem to have no deadzone via plain usb hid.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 03:40:26 am by SailorSat »
I do all that stuff even without a Joystick ;)
Soft-15kHz, cabMAME, For Amusement Only e.V.

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 09:46:25 am »
So, there are no way to get rid of that deadzone?  :'(

Should i go the expensive xbx360 way (no deadzone by default) ?

(thanks for the answer, you are one of my "arcade heroes" :) : i will never forget the first time i succesfully forced 15KHz on the arcade monitor with soft15KHz)  :notworthy:

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:42:45 pm
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 09:59:37 am »
I have some old Logitech "dual action" gamepads that work with profiler also, but I don't recall if there is a deadzone setting.
I imagine there would be.  They're cheap and don't have rumble.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313&_nkw=logitech+dual+action&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Personally I'd find an old used Logitech driving force to hack.
They usually turn up for around $30, but aren't always available so you have to keep an eye out.

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 10:27:41 am »

I am trying to avoid hacking another pad  ;D, having this installed in the cabinet.

I suppose that all those gamepads without a dedicated driver all suffer the same issue (even if the problem could be on the firmware, like Sailorsat said).

It would be nice to have a driver that could replace the generic one... how difficult would it be to set it up?

EDIT: i will go the "xbox360 gamepad" route in the next few days (hopefully tomorrow). I will be ready for the BYOAC competitions then  ;D
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 02:55:26 am by baritonomarchetto »