Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Ridge Racer Driftopia - Free to Play - Open BETA now  (Read 2733 times)

Fursphere

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:36:10 am
Ridge Racer Driftopia - Free to Play - Open BETA now
« on: August 03, 2013, 09:13:17 pm »
http://www.ridgeracerdriftopia.com/en/

I know opinions have been mixed around here about this (mostly negative) - but hey, its FREE.  Can't hurt to give it a try.

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
Re: Ridge Racer Driftopia - Free to Play - Open BETA now
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 08:01:20 pm »
Got my beta key, went to play and "can't connect to server".  :lol

I guess I should have expected as much.

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:55:58 pm
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 08:12:28 pm »
Am I blind?  :dizzy: I cant find the beta on steam to download.  :banghead:

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 08:41:27 pm »
I had to signup on the webpage I linked above, then they emailed me a Steam key (took a few hours I guess to get the key?)

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 09:06:54 pm »
Ok, I figured it out.

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 09:50:36 pm »
I cant connect either.

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 09:52:42 am »
I got connected to the server this morning.  Here are my initial thoughts...

"Communicating with Server" is ALL THE FREAKING TIME in the menus.  Its a bit slow to get around. 

"Drifting" isn't intuitive.  It almost feels random (or I just really suck).  "Hold B button to drift!" (how long?  when do I start holding it?  when do I stop?  do I need to adjust the throttle?  ...  game mechanics aren't transparent)

Its a console game - Gamepad appears to be the only option.  (looks like the same configuration as Unbounded - so I can probably make the wheel work with a little work - x360ce stuff)

"First car is free" - every car after that you earn / buy (not fully explained in the beta).   When you wreck one of the cars (other than the very first) you have to repair it.  Repair kits cost REAL WORLD MONEY.  Beta list price is $1.74 per 50 kits (they're free in beta, but the price is still listed), and the secondary car I crashed was 10 kits to repair.  If you don't repair it right then and there after you wreck, YOU LOSE IT.  (gone, permanently.. probably have to re-earn it?). 

It seems the amount of repair kits to repair any given car can vary from car to car.   

There is also per-race boosters you can apply to your car pre-race.  I didn't see anywhere to buy these, so I don't know what they're all about yet.

And..   damage to your car doesn't make sense.  Two times I hit the wall and "broke" my car.  Another time one of the computers pushed me into the wall and broke my car.  So... the computer can "cost you money"  (I see this being a sore point)

The gameplay itself seemed similar to Unbounded.  (I haven't played that one much honestly)

So..  while this game is "free" - It looks like its going to be micro transaction hell, and a "free to play, pay to win" title. 

Need For Speed World is probably a better choice at a "free" racer.