Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: DIY Star Wars Yoke Question  (Read 2836 times)

Abear

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 12, 2017, 02:54:45 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
DIY Star Wars Yoke Question
« on: March 07, 2017, 07:32:22 pm »
I'm starting to build a SW yoke for my new Mame cab using the plans posted by Menace here:

http://arcadecontrols.com/hosted/yoke/

My question is about the potentiometers. He mentions getting 5k pots with 270 degree rotation. I'm finding it quite difficult trying to locate 270s - lots of 300s. Does it matter for this build as long as it's 5k and the gears are the proper sizes?  The sidewinder joystick I tore apart has two pots in it - has anybody used them?  I'll admit I'm not booksmart when it comes to these things. I'm much more at home working with wood! Thanks in advance.

Hawkeye71

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 16, 2018, 03:39:54 pm
Re: DIY Star Wars Yoke Question
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 03:06:56 am »
I built one last summer here in the UK following those plans. I don't seem to recall finding those pots online to be a problem.

I can't visualise a problem with anything larger than 270  after calibration but if anyone knows otherwise...

One of the Sidewinders pots are directly soldered to the board. No good for this set up. The other is too bespoke for the Sidewinder really.

Can I just give you an early  heads up when it comes to soldering following that diagram? The fire buttons turned out to be the Sidewinders hat buttons. Im sure there's a reason for that but christ knows what. I have to use map software to reassign.

Abear

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 12, 2017, 02:54:45 pm
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 02:54:45 pm »
Got the 270 pots but can't seem to locate the driver CD.  Is it needed or does Windows recognize it no problem? Hawkeye, after all the work, how did it perform?

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 05:26:38 pm »
Is there any files to 3d print these pieces out and make the assembly of plastic or metal instead of wood?

I should start taking my own advice.   :dizzy:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=133656.0

Looks to be a market for 3D printed yokes.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 05:34:49 pm by ark_ader »
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

lettuce

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 31, 2021, 01:46:10 pm
  • Make It So!
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 08:19:58 pm »
This would be cool, to build a self contained yoke unit with a Raspberry Pi inside it for portable Star Wars on the go in small unit

Hawkeye71

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 16, 2018, 03:39:54 pm
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 03:31:03 am »
Got the 270 pots but can't seem to locate the driver CD.  Is it needed or does Windows recognize it no problem? Hawkeye, after all the work, how did it perform?

The CD that came with the sidewinder was too old to be used on a modern machine however I recall the PC fortunately just recognised it.  The fire buttons not being fire buttons was a head fudge when it came to calibration.

After it's calib'd, it's ok. Not arcade perfect, just ok. I don't expect to reach the levels I got to in the arcade. That's fine because I can't honestly say I have any desire to play for long periods as I once did. Its a bit repetitive in 2017 bless it.