Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Which instruction cards would you squeeze onto your cab if you had a little room  (Read 1313 times)

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2024, 12:43:52 pm
I have a 4"x30.5" area set aside for swappable instruction cards on my cab. 
After the cab is finished, I want to make move lists for the fighting games,
but until then I'd like to make a default one that incorporates a variety of games.

Right now, I can only think of sports games:

NFL Blitz
NBA Jam
NHL 2on2 Open Ice

I'm picturing the game's logo, then three buttons next to it with labels showing what they do.
So those won't take up much room.

I'm having trouble thinking of more.  One or two button games don't really require an explanation.
Fighting games should probably have full move lists. Maybe I'll include them and just list what the buttons do. 
I forget sometimes on games not in the SF or MK family.

What other games would you put on there to remind yourself of the controls?
(MAME, Model 2, Model3, NAOMI, Taito Type X, whatever....)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 04:34:24 pm by BadMouth »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 11:06:47 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Here are a few to consider including:
Asteroids
Defender
Gravitar
Killer Instinct
Primal Rage
Shinobi
Stargate
Tekken
XMen: CotA
XMen
XMen vs. SF
Xybots
Atari 2600 Emulator: Select and Reset buttons
NES Emulator: Select and Start buttons
Other emulator specific buttons as applicable.

Scott
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 05:19:58 pm by PL1 »

Nephasth

• Trade Count: (0)
LED buttons, only active buttons lit. It takes just a few seconds to figure out what button does what. If fighting games are played frequently, keep a printed moves list in a binder nearby.

I've got the "instruction card" printed on my Arkanoid CPO. Nobody has ever bothered reading it. My Gorf has instructions/tips printed on the CP. Nobody has ever bothered reading it. My skeeball machine has a stock instruction/pricing sticker on how to start the game. Nobody has ever bothered reading it. My pin has instruction cards. Nobody has ever bothered reading them.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2024, 12:43:52 pm
Thanks for the replies.  I'll check out the instruction cards for the games mentioned and see if I'd like to incorporate.

This cab is a bit different (although I did ask what YOU would have  :) ). 

I already have a setup with an x-arcade that guests beat up on.
This one is just for me and as part of that I'm refusing to put user-friendliness for guests ahead of what I personally want.
I know the sports games use 3 buttons, but for some reason can't figure them out until minutes into the game and never remember them for the next time.  Having the 3 buttons illuminated wouldn't make any difference.  turbo/pass/jump labels in the CP that are illuminated when the game is active would be nice, but I'd like to finish the rest of the cab first.

This one is arcade only, although with SFIVAE, SFxTekken, & Mortal Kombat Komplete, I'm considering adding a PC games list.
The first two games are already on the cab, but not listed in the front-end.