Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: fooling with m2emu network  (Read 110325 times)

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: fooling with m2emu network
« Reply #160 on: July 31, 2017, 12:59:22 am »
Forgive me for begging, Sailorsat, but any chance STCC networking will come good at some point?

Boomslang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #161 on: August 13, 2017, 01:56:41 am »
Ive finally moved all my cabs out to the garage together side by side and for the life of me I can't seem to get m2lagfix working anymore. Just attempted for about 3 hours

I used to have this working with ease which is the annoying part. It works if i bypass the m2lagfix program so it's not a network problem

Can someone please post a working m2network and m2lagfix ini files to work across 2-4 machines? I must be doing something dumb but I can't work it out

I can't even connect between 2 machines at the moment, let alone 4

I used to have it using just m2lagfix on the Master machine so I didn't have to load m2lagfix on every slave as well

FaithLes2425

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 06, 2020, 02:48:15 pm
  • Bingo!
« Reply #162 on: August 14, 2017, 10:46:23 am »
I need some help with the m2lagfix.ini. I suck at Network. What numbers do i need to put in?
Master: 192.168.1.86
Slave:   192:168.1.238

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #163 on: February 17, 2018, 04:00:49 pm »
gonna bump this post since it's relevant

I was messing with m2 emulator and found a way to link up in Sega Touring Car Championship. But only 2 player so far, can't seem to get it working 4 player yet

obviously set up game as per usual with master as Car 1 and slave as Car 2.  Exit the test mode at the same time on both pcs

Will connect and go ingame and work properly!  :cheers:

sometimes it did freeze on the connected screen however and never load attract mode which resulted in me having to exit and try again

Now previously we were kinda doing this but we only went to test menu and back out on the master and we never did it with slave which resulted in some conflict id happening sometimes and once they went ingame they didn't even seem to link up as you would press start and nothing popped up on other pc etc

I tried this 4 player too before, but could never get the attract mode to load after trying 4-5 times with my wife. Exiting test mode at same time always resulted in them connecting and just staying on that screen

Agent47

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 15, 2019, 08:39:37 pm
  • SEGA 4-Life
« Reply #164 on: February 17, 2018, 05:05:28 pm »
Great find!  I just tried this and was able to connect with 2 players linked.  The attract mode screen says 2 players wanted and when one player inserts a coin, the second screen goes to the "waiting entry" screen like normal.  However, when I start a 2 player race, I don't see the other player and even the count down timer is not synced between the two sessions.  It's like we are playing single player on a linked machine.  I have the ID's set to Car 1 and Car 2 and changed the cabinet type to "twin" on both PC's.  Strange....

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #165 on: February 17, 2018, 05:18:17 pm »
Eh wierd

Works fine for me, I see the other car on each pc etc ingame

Not that it should matter, set Freeplay on both. That's what I did

Also you obviously have to go into test menu and exit out of test menu at the exact same time. If you don't then it can do as you said
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 05:21:08 pm by Boomslang »

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #166 on: February 18, 2018, 09:13:58 pm »
Mine always goes into link, but then i can't get the game to stay synced, timer issues etc. I thought it was known this is how far the game gets? Still, I'll give it another shot as this is one i really want to get working over link.

Friko

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 11, 2020, 11:57:00 am
« Reply #167 on: March 14, 2018, 08:18:20 pm »
Great find!  I just tried this and was able to connect with 2 players linked.  The attract mode screen says 2 players wanted and when one player inserts a coin, the second screen goes to the "waiting entry" screen like normal.  However, when I start a 2 player race, I don't see the other player and even the count down timer is not synced between the two sessions.  It's like we are playing single player on a linked machine.  I have the ID's set to Car 1 and Car 2 and changed the cabinet type to "twin" on both PC's.  Strange....

I believe m2lagfix only works for 8 players
I was hoping SailorSat would release a customizable version so we can select between 2-8 cars.

SailorSat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:28:00 pm
    • For Amusement Only e.V.
« Reply #168 on: March 14, 2018, 11:01:39 pm »
Nah - m2lagfix works for any amount of players, as all it does is fixing the frame size/times.

I was workin on an external "sync" tool... some time ago - but never finished it.
I used it to create some "in sync" teasers on youtube. (see )

The main problem is the m2em itself - in master mode it sends out "too many" frames, which causes the clients to mix up stuff.
There are actually two ways to "fix" this (without altering the emulator, which I might try next).

Path #1 - fix the frame order/count (which m2lagfix tries to some success)
Path #2 - patch the netcode in the ROMs (so that the game is slave in any case) and go with the external init (like in the videos). this has been done for sega rally

I do all that stuff even without a Joystick ;)
Soft-15kHz, cabMAME, For Amusement Only e.V.

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #169 on: March 15, 2018, 09:33:37 pm »
SailorSat that's amazing news, keep us posted!

:)

SailorSat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #170 on: March 17, 2018, 02:06:24 am »
Hm... Even with frame perfect sync, the timers in Sega Rally are all over the place. And I still can't get STCC to link up at all - It says "network check success" but never goes to attract mode.

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #171 on: March 17, 2018, 03:22:21 am »
Hm... Even with frame perfect sync, the timers in Sega Rally are all over the place. And I still can't get STCC to link up at all - It says "network check success" but never goes to attract mode.

gonna bump this post since it's relevant

I was messing with m2 emulator and found a way to link up in Sega Touring Car Championship. But only 2 player so far, can't seem to get it working 4 player yet

obviously set up game as per usual with master as Car 1 and slave as Car 2.  Exit the test mode at the same time on both pcs

Will connect and go ingame and work properly!  :cheers:

sometimes it did freeze on the connected screen however and never load attract mode which resulted in me having to exit and try again

Now previously we were kinda doing this but we only went to test menu and back out on the master and we never did it with slave which resulted in some conflict id happening sometimes and once they went ingame they didn't even seem to link up as you would press start and nothing popped up on other pc etc

I tried this 4 player too before, but could never get the attract mode to load after trying 4-5 times with my wife. Exiting test mode at same time always resulted in them connecting and just staying on that screen

SailorSat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #172 on: March 18, 2018, 12:42:33 pm »
Damn... Sometimes I should start from scratch. Turns out I patched around to much in the netcode to get it booting xD

So I can get STCC to link up using the previous mentioned method (service mode) pretty reliable.

However for some unknown reason there seem to be various "new" problems.
With my external master tool the network stays synched enough to drive an entire race - But the performance drops to about 45 fps.
Without my modifications, the game stays at 59fps, but looses sync pretty quickly.
Guess it's time for some dynamic delays in my tool then.

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #173 on: March 18, 2018, 06:49:57 pm »
Confirming that i can get STCC to link 2p as well by adding a test-menu key and simply entering and then simultaneously exiting test menu on each cab. Cheers for pointing this out, Boomslang! I don't actually have any friends though, so i haven't driven an entire race to see if the sync goes weird :)

It never worked for me on my test PC, the sync occasionally came up, and you could see the JP screen where it says 2 players are possible, but things would go wrong before you could get into a race. That was on a Win7 build.

Last night I did the qualifying lap on each machine, one timing out, of course, and then drove a race lap and ran into the back of the 2p car, then drove the 2p car back to unlap itself, and around for a bit, and that far everything seemed to be in sync across the two cabs.  This is on two Win10 builds, though the OS may not mean as much as using it across two machines and LAN rather than two ports on the one machine?

I might try it with WaveRunner at some point, as i'd like to get that running too :)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 10:44:39 pm by buttersoft »

SailorSat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #174 on: March 19, 2018, 08:56:15 pm »
I'm starting to hate the m2em :)

After several hours of experiments I can say - Fixing the network will be a pain in the ass.
If I limit the Network to 58 FPS (which will cause slight audio stutter) the network stays perfectly in sync (and flicker free) in Daytona, Indy500, Motoraid and STCC - But the timer goes absolutely wild in Sega Rally.
On the other hand, if I "unchain" the Network FPS - At about 240 FPS (that means 4 network cycles per video frame) Sega Rally works fine, but Daytona is flickering like ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, and the others show a network error pretty quick.

Guess it will be back to MAME for a while - In MAME the games seem to work better, no flickering and no link problems in Indy500 or STCC, but Sega Rally is not working correctly either.
I really need to figure out the network stuff...

Most likely the network needs to be "in sync" on scanline 383 (the VBLANK-IRQ is triggered at this point) as most games start to write the network data on scanline 384 and read the network data on scanlines 385 to 387.

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #175 on: March 19, 2018, 11:41:03 pm »
I didn't actually realise model 2 was playable in MAME at this point, i'll have to give it a look. Cheers for the heads up, SailorSat, and always keen to hear more about what you're working on!

SailorSat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #176 on: March 20, 2018, 04:08:38 am »
I didn't actually realise model 2 was playable in MAME at this point, i'll have to give it a look. Cheers for the heads up, SailorSat, and always keen to hear more about what you're working on!
It does for M2, M2A and M2B - although my i7 has trouble keeping 100% speed :)
M2C has no 3D output.

SailorSat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #177 on: March 20, 2018, 04:00:35 pm »
Current MAME status - Indy500 works (with framesync), but the timer in SegaRally still is not correct.

I'm still impressed on how far we got...

SailorSat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #178 on: March 20, 2018, 08:00:02 pm »
Got another one... Heretics!

Nuexzz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2023, 01:26:58 am
« Reply #179 on: March 20, 2018, 10:18:34 pm »
haha awesome !! Is the network more stable with one instance of each emulator?

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #180 on: March 20, 2018, 11:33:44 pm »
Haha, that's awesome. Sadly my cabs have Core2Duo E8500 cpu's, so model2 isn't going to run well through MAME :/

SailorSat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #181 on: March 21, 2018, 01:42:56 am »
Haha, that's awesome. Sadly my cabs have Core2Duo E8500 cpu's, so model2 isn't going to run well through MAME :/
Same for me :)

haha awesome !! Is the network more stable with one instance of each emulator?
Maybe - MAME as master and M2EM running slaves only seems to be much more reliable.
Sadly the games I want to test (mainly STCC) don't work in MAME at all, as there is no 3d emulation on model 2c yet.

Nuexzz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2023, 01:26:58 am
« Reply #182 on: March 21, 2018, 10:15:02 pm »
well, mame in 3D emulation is very far compared to m2em, it would not be unreasonable to create a binary that represents mame (master fake that controls the network) and all other slaves (m2em) that follow their orders  :dunno

dgrace

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:49:26 am
« Reply #183 on: April 22, 2018, 05:48:11 pm »
I just got a 2nd PC (one is Win7 and the new one is win10).  I'm trying to play some Model2 link LAN racing games but ran into a few issues.  Here is what I have in my Model 2 network ini file for my Master 1 computer:

[network]
Rxport=1978
NextIP=192.168.0.89
NextPort=1979

And here is what I have in my second PC/Slave computer:

[network]
Rxport=1979
NextIP=192.168.0.91
NextPort=1978

I still get network errors on my Master computer.  Even with all my real time AV scan and firewalls turned off.  Hmmmmm? Not sure what else I can do with that.  When I set it to single cabinet (Daytona USA) it works fine, but when I set to slave or master I get network error ("Network board not present").  Any idea what else it could be? I imagine I messed up my ini file above.  The NextIPs are both computer's IP addresses. Thanks
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 11:57:03 pm by dgrace »

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #184 on: April 23, 2018, 10:38:44 pm »
For network play on multiple PC's you don't want to touch the port settings, they should remain the same. Or the same as each other, anyway. Only modify the IP addresses. Vice versa for multiple instances on one PC, only use ports, not IP's.

Assuming you have only two computers C1 and C2, with network addresses IP1 and IP2 respectively, you want to set the m2network.ini file on C1 to point to IP2 - using the nextIP line, of course.  Then the same line on C2 to point to the next IP in the ring, or, because this is the last computer in your ring of two, you set it to point to the IP of the first computer - so IP1.

MrThunderwing actually just posted this info elsewhere, though this is probably a better place for it here.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157120.msg1650952.html#msg1650952

« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 10:41:53 pm by buttersoft »

BigPanik

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2022, 06:02:58 pm
« Reply #185 on: April 26, 2018, 08:14:37 am »
On my 4 linked PC's configuration, the Daytona attract mode gone de-synchronized after some time. After 5 minutes, Daytona logo come on cab #1 when cab #4 still displays driving instructions.

Does someone else observe this issue? Does m3lagfix solve this problem?

Thanks

SailorSat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #186 on: April 26, 2018, 04:16:40 pm »
Nope, sadly.

I have a fix for that, though it has yet to mature into a "stable" tool :)

BigPanik

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2022, 06:02:58 pm
« Reply #187 on: April 27, 2018, 10:27:21 am »
 :applaud:

Could you explain the cause?

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #188 on: April 29, 2018, 07:21:34 pm »
Read up the thread, the reason for it isn't too far back.

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #189 on: May 01, 2018, 05:07:57 am »
Damn... Sometimes I should start from scratch. Turns out I patched around to much in the netcode to get it booting xD

So I can get STCC to link up using the previous mentioned method (service mode) pretty reliable.

However for some unknown reason there seem to be various "new" problems.
With my external master tool the network stays synched enough to drive an entire race - But the performance drops to about 45 fps.
Without my modifications, the game stays at 59fps, but looses sync pretty quickly.
Guess it's time for some dynamic delays in my tool then.

did you have any luck with trying to get STCC to work with more then 2 Players? I can get it to work 2p but never 4p

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #190 on: November 15, 2018, 07:36:05 pm »
bumping this just cos its a little relevant

Wave Runner works with the stcc method posted above incase anyone was wanting that game to work over network

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #191 on: November 19, 2018, 05:40:52 pm »
I was thinking about trying that trick with wave runner just last weekend! I had it setup a while back but not with service mode buttons, so i'll just add it back in.

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #192 on: December 09, 2018, 04:46:57 am »
So ages ago I mucked around with a hack to make network work while including AI positions

I've finally coded it up over the weekend which was a massive pain to get working right but have it working really well for 2p,3p and 4p setups so far

Just start race as normal and everything happens automatically as soon as race starts, also made the results screen at end work correctly

One side effect is the AI cars are coloured like normal multiplayer cars as opposed to the normal purple but otherwise it seems to work pretty good

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #193 on: December 09, 2018, 06:00:56 pm »
What game was that for, Boomslang?

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #194 on: December 09, 2018, 06:42:27 pm »
What game was that for, Boomslang?

Oh sorry

Daytona USA

Here's a bad video I did ages ago of it before I coded it up properly last couple days

« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 06:58:45 pm by Boomslang »

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:42:27 am
« Reply #195 on: December 10, 2018, 01:43:27 am »
AI cars coloured like normal player cars is a plus for me

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #196 on: December 11, 2018, 04:21:18 am »
another bad video im afraid as I have no idea how to crop a video lol etc

heres what it looks like now when 4p

SailorSat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #197 on: December 11, 2018, 03:19:02 pm »
Ah so you feed the car data into memory directly. Pretty neat idea. Keep it up :)

Maillouski

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 19, 2023, 03:00:15 pm
« Reply #198 on: January 14, 2019, 10:22:18 am »
Hi everyone, I read through the whole thread and this is very interesting.

I owned a Twin Cab Daytona USA for 8 years. 8 years of fun and fixing the damn thing  ;D

I have the idea of making a new single cab using a PC, or maybe reuse a non-working original Daytona USA cab and converting it.

Has anybody have experience in converting cabs ? If I understand correctly, @SailorSat does ?

XSFDriver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 28, 2023, 11:02:22 pm
« Reply #199 on: January 15, 2019, 05:41:29 am »
Mate, you've just opened up a BIIIIIIG can of worms  :lol ....I signed up on this site about 9 months ago, and I'm still pouring through the pages and pages of stuff here. I just wish I had more to contribute !!! (and I'm not that good at putting thoughts to text without rambling) :banghead:

I've been reading this particular thread over and over, trying to get my head around most of it. I've succeeded in hooking up two PC's with Model 2 running Daytona, but man, these guys take it to another level.... for example, check out this one of Sailorsat's threads :notworthy:, I think it might be what you're after...

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,145000.0.html?PHPSESSID=p7c5gtsrpp06beuget5r34ebs3

...and that's just the start of it.

...Anyway, Hi to all, and thanks heaps for all your hard work... If there's anything I can help with, please ask, but I hate to say, from what I've read on this site so far, I doubt I could be much of a trail blazer :lol

Cheers  :cheers: