Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Twin cab worth it?  (Read 2670 times)

jpS14

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2022, 04:34:26 pm
Twin cab worth it?
« on: July 05, 2013, 02:46:55 pm »
Well the wife and I were at the arcade and she expressed interest in a twin cab. So I have the green light on building a twin set up if I want to. But the question is are there enough games that can be linked to race each other? I just thought I would get ya'll opinions on if it's worth it or not.

MartinJames

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2021, 10:10:33 am
Re: Twin cab worth it?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 04:50:10 pm »
I own my own home arcade, love the twin cabs. However for most stuff I built myself 2 PC based rigs next to each other using Fanatec Kit. Absolutely love it. So much fun.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:42:45 pm
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 07:48:01 pm »
I'm in the process of collecting parts for a twin setup and I'm still asking myself that question.
Having to buy two of everything when I could be spending twice as much on one killer cab that works better for modern PC games.

Look at the model 2 guide stickied at the top of this forum.  It lists which games work linked.
Those and Virtua Racing on a special MAME build are it as far as emulation goes.

I'm sure lots of PC games are linkable, but I haven't delved into that yet.

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:32:39 pm
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 10:22:57 pm »
Most of the newer PC games are multiplayable "online" - so I'm sure you could play together, but it would be quite as simple as popping quarters in and hitting "start"

You'll have to create online accounts (easy), buy two copies of the game (with the deals lately, it should be less than $20 a game for two copies).

But as badmouth pointed out, hardware (PC, wheel, sound, etc) is going to cost you a lot. 

There has been A LOT of interest from friends and family with my cabinet as I've been building it.  They all want to come and play - so I may end up building a second, depending on time / money / interest.  I'd bet it would be $1600+ to build another from scratch, including the PC. 

I know some guys spend waaaaaaaaay more than that on just an upright MAME cabinet.  (and especially more on the virtual pinball cabinets)

jpS14

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 11:15:12 am »
Thanks for the replies guys. I have enough stuff to make one cab right now. I think I'm going take my time and plan this out.

vandale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2024, 06:15:03 am
  • Id 10 and t error
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 03:32:57 pm »
Hi, I have a twin cab running 2 PC's linking model 2 games and Virtua racing. Its a hit with young and old. Massive hit when I have gatherings etc.

More linked games are coming, suggest you gear up :)

Thanks

jpS14

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 03:40:06 pm »
That sounds great. I need finish up a couple other projects first but I've already started planing for the twin set up. It will be nice when it finally happens but i'm in no rush.