Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New (old style) arcade game - looking for feedback  (Read 19635 times)

mike_bike_kite

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 07, 2023, 05:16:39 am
Re: New (old style) arcade game - looking for feedback
« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2015, 04:22:08 pm »
Yep,  you can now fire through your shields ;)

I've only just released the new version so there might be teething troubles but hopefully not.

Mike

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2015, 04:47:46 pm »
Topics merged.   :applaud:

D
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

mike_bike_kite

• Offline Offline
« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2015, 07:23:56 pm »
Thanks. It will be nice to hear what people think of the new version. I'm guessing that the high score facility is crapping out as I haven't seen anything show up.  :dunno

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2015, 10:26:33 pm »
Sound works, display doesn't.  I get a blank black screen.  W764.

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2015, 11:02:50 pm »
Sound works, display doesn't.  I get a blank black screen.  W764.

Same here -- was able to get display running the bat file but it's not correct - here's a zip of a quick mp4 of the game play recorded with Camtasia (on the system it is actually a few colors not B&W as shown in the recording and is full screen not windowed (guess camtasia recorded without the after effects and scaling  :dunno)

Here's a screenshot of what it looks like taken with my cheap camera also

Note : older version still works correctly. -- I take that back - seems original version that was an .exe file is working - update (older version - now will not launch - error file says  "Error: Registry key 'Software\JavaSoft\JavaRuntime Environment\'CurrentVersion' has value '1.8',but '1.7' is required." Then Java Virtual Machine Launcher Error says could not find java.dll - then Error: Could not Find Java SE Runtime Environment. - Then closes !

So seems it is looking for Java release 7 and refuses to run under release 8 instead.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 12:03:16 am by JDFan »

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #85 on: January 06, 2015, 09:09:29 pm »
OK did a bit of testing and was able to get it working correctly instead of getting the black screen or corrupted color palette  :applaud: - Seems Java and many older games have a problem with the color palette for 256 color - to get it working I just switched my monitor to Windows Basic Mode (which turns off aero and corrects the conflict) - To do this right click on desktop and choose personalize - From the box that comes up under Basic and High Contrast themes find Windows 7 Basic - Double left click on it and it will switch your OS to the windows basic theme shutting off aero and it's effect which seem to be the conflict. After doing this run the alienswarm.jar file and it loads the game.

When finished - change your theme back.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 09:12:48 pm by JDFan »

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2015, 09:33:36 pm »
OK did a bit of testing and was able to get it working correctly instead of getting the black screen or corrupted color palette  :applaud: - Seems Java and many older games have a problem with the color palette for 256 color - to get it working I just switched my monitor to Windows Basic Mode (which turns off aero and corrects the conflict) - To do this right click on desktop and choose personalize - From the box that comes up under Basic and High Contrast themes find Windows 7 Basic - Double left click on it and it will switch your OS to the windows basic theme shutting off aero and it's effect which seem to be the conflict. After doing this run the alienswarm.jar file and it loads the game.

When finished - change your theme back.

JD's fix worked for me as well.  Disabled Aero and back in action.  Well done JD!

I would like to see the .exe version again and perhaps a config menu where you can set the controls (I may have missed it but it would be nice to be able to make this arcade cabinet friendly - ie map joystick or keyboard inputs to every control including game exit, menu, etc).

I am dog tired tonight but ran up a few levels and got a score of 68000ish.  I'd like the player vehicle to be a bit smaller, I find myself playing it like a cave game expecting some shots to not wipe me out because they aren't hitting the center of the vehicle and then blammo, I'm all over the map in pieces.  Also, the green alien invaders are a nice touch, took me a minute to figure out why my score was going down from time to time. 

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2015, 09:43:14 pm »
Glad to hear it worked for you also (read a few posts on the net that discussed corruption when using the 256 color palette and some discussed turning of explorer.exe (which I didn't want to do as it also shuts down the desktop and taskbar etc. making it hard to reenable ) then found one that mentioned Aero - so tried switching to a theme with it disabled and it worked !

Ran a couple games and managed a bit over 100K and then messed up and lost all 3 bonus ships - Those new bullets that split into 3 are interesting (my last ship got nailed when one split and I was too close to avoid them  :hissy: )

I agree with Le Chuck that having a method to select the buttons for things would be nice !

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2015, 11:37:40 pm »
For others using Win 7 if you are having the blackscreen/color distortion problem mentioned above - I made a quick batch file to automate the theme change using a program called ThemeSwitcher (Download LINK - http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.209 )

Here is the batch file I'm using : (Just type out in notepad and save as ASwarm.bat and place in the downloaded folder with the game and the winaero Download in the same folder - then create a shortcut to launch ASwarm.bat)

Code: [Select]
themeswitcher.exe basic
java -jar "AlienSwarm.jar"
themeswitcher.exe Landscapes
exit;

What it does when running the .bat file it uses themeswitcher.exe to change windows to the Basic Theme - launches the game - and when the game is closed again uses ThemeSwitcher to change the them again ( will need to change the name of the theme to whatever theme you are using - I'm using Landscapes currently !! )

Figured I'd post this in case anyone else is interested in automating the theme change rather than using the right click - personalize method  :cheers:

mike_bike_kite

• Offline Offline
« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2015, 07:18:00 am »
Added new version of the game:
  • I have fixed the high score bug that stops new high scores being added  ::)
  • It has tries to emphasise that there are multiple levels with trophies.
  • Few nicer graphics (those round things and the time and weapon heat bars).
  • Various other parts
It's worth downloading the new version.
I'll be looking at releasing as an exe next.

Mike

andrewsgxs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 26, 2015, 08:44:28 am
« Reply #90 on: February 12, 2015, 10:11:28 am »
When you manage to get to the super power ups then these are shown at the bottom ie nukes  and auto shields etc. The problem with the weapon power ups is that there are so many of them and it's difficult showing transfer that sort of information in a small space. I'm not really sure a normal player has much time to read dials etc. I actually wondered whether anybody ever looked at the time bar and weapon temp gauge in the top right. My guess is they probably don't.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 08:44:28 am by andrewsgxs »

mike_bike_kite

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: May 14, 2015, 08:10:12 am »
Sorry for the incredibly late reply but I was hoping to release an update to the game at the same time.

Weapon power ups: each weapon power up just gives you a bit more ooomph when fighting back. I guess it doesn't really matter what the weapon power up actually is but they go from normal - fast firing (but overheating quickly) - fast firing (& better cooling) - faster projectiles - anti mothership. If you do very well and get to 200K then even better options appear above - you get nukes, super cooling for your weapon and shields that will turn on automatically if you're hit. Managing your power ups (ie getting the right power ups) is vital in the game.

At the top there's also the info showing when a mothership is coming or if a little green alien is about to be dropped to the ground or if the grey motherships will stay on screen after you kill everything else. I find this info vital as I like to plan how I'm going to destroy the wave - firing wildly gets you so far but I find a little planing helps if you want to get a decent high score.

The time bar is useful as you get a fine if you don't clear the current wave in time. You also get a bonus if you clear them before a certain time (shown on the time bar). There's also a heartbeat sound to tell you when you're running low on time. Do you need the time bar? probably not but it looks pretty.

The weapon heat bar shows you when you need to stop firing and cool down - it's obviously bad to get stuck in a fire fight with the little green guys if you weapon is already overheating. The turret on your ship starts to glow red when the weapon overheats so you can use that as an indication if you wish. Do you need the weapon heat bar? probably not but I find it useful.

Do players need any of this info? No. Does it benefit them? a little. Does it look interesting on screen? I think so and the main aim of any arcade game is to look as attractive as possible to entice the player to play. As players get good at the game then the info becomes more important. At the end of the day, it's  a bit like the rev counter in a car - I never look at it but I'd feel something was missing if it wasn't there :)

I have released a totally new version of the game just now. I'll try and remember what all the changes are and list them down. Thanks for playing and all feedback is welcome.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 08:12:34 am by mike_bike_kite »