Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Silent Sanwa JLF Joysticks from Paradise Arcade  (Read 6141 times)

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
Silent Sanwa JLF Joysticks from Paradise Arcade
« on: June 21, 2013, 07:55:01 pm »
I ordered a pair of Silent Sanwa JLF Joysticks from Paradise Arcade. These units came with some accessories (refer to photo). Shipping is more expensive than most accessories, so I just ordered the remaining accessories that Paradise Arcade offers so I can try them out. The units do not come with ball tops, so I ordered two green bubble 35mm ball tops to go with them.

The joysticks are very quiet. mounted under a panel, be wood or metal, I doubt there is any way you could hear these. Nice.

As far as how they feel, I got a wide assortment of accessories so I can change the feeling if I wanted. I sold my unused Mag Stick Plus joysticks because I didn't like how they were stiff, short throw, and very noisy. The only downside to these new joy sticks is that they are not switchable from 4-way to 8-way on the fly, like the Mag Stick Plus joysticks. I figured that the majority of the games I would want to play are 8-way anyways. The Mag Stick Plus joysticks are awesome due to their on the fly switching, but I feel like I made the right decision for myself.

The quality of these units are top notch, and totally surprised me. Changing how they feel would not be hard at all! Gently pry the clear cover off the bottom of the joystick by pressing in the 4 black retaining tabs. The clear retainer holds the switches in place. It also contains a small, swappable restrictor. Simply push up on the insert and rotate 45*, or 90* to remove. It's that simple. No bolts or screws.

The shaft has a slot in it for a flat head screw driver. Nice thinking. Now its easy to tighten and loosen you ball top.

There is a clip around the shaft. With the clear cover off, remove the clip and your actuator and spring should come off. Install another spring for a tighter feel, or another actuator for a shorter throw. Easy.

Joysticks are also compact. Everything about them is easy. The Mag Sticks were not easy. I feel like I would not mind popping off a control panel real quick to try a different restrictor/spring/actuator real quick and not have it be a project and a half.

The joystick shafts are perfect height for a metal panel. You might want to order some longer shafts if you are mounting these in a wood panel. I assume the wire harness is for an actual arcade machine? Anyways, 4.8mm female spade terminals will fit the switches if you want to make your own harness to connect to an interface board.

Of course, Paradise Arcade got these shipped out to me real quick. They even left out the free chocolates as per my request because I don't like chocolate. I like this company very much. :) I can't wait to try these out!

PTD

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2014, 10:54:16 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Silent Sanwa JFL Joysticks from Paradise Arcade
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 10:55:39 am »
Are there any silent buttons?

I think that the buttons make the loudest noise.  I am looking for really silent buttons.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
Re: Silent Sanwa JFL Joysticks from Paradise Arcade
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 03:04:04 pm »
Are there any silent buttons?

I think that the buttons make the loudest noise.  I am looking for really silent buttons.

I have ultimarc gold leaf buttons. They are so silent, that I have to literally hold them to my ear to hear them click. Amazing product. The only downfall is that they do not come in transparent/led. If a solid color is what you are after, definitely get them. They are well worth the purchase.