Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Dragon's Lair mini replica - NOW FINISHED WITH PICS!!!  (Read 19691 times)

LeedsFan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2021, 06:14:23 am
Dragon's Lair mini replica - NOW FINISHED WITH PICS!!!
« on: June 20, 2013, 01:57:09 pm »
Dragon's Lair celebrates it's 30th anniversary this year. And even though I was never a fan of the game back in the 80s I still acknowledge it's status as an all time classic arcade game.

I remember seeing it for the very first time in a local arcade in Leeds city centre. I was like... "WOW!!!". It was a genuine jaw dropping moment. The graphics!!! Of course I didn't know that it was operating a laser disc switching different clips of animation to my joystick movements.

I did manage to get one play on it, which of course lasted about 30 seconds tops. At 50p per go though (when most other games were 20p play) it was damned expensive. So I never got into it.

Today of course we have Daphne emulator. And for my next mini project I've decided to move away from Mame and build a half size replica of a Dragon's Lair cabinet. It won't be a bartop, it will be a full rendition like my mini Star Wars.

I want it to be as accurate as possible, which in itself will bring in difficulties being half size. I already have an original Wico 8-way leaf switch joystick (which I believe was the original unit fitted to DL cabs). Whether I can physically fit that joystick into a half size panel I don't yet know.

I also want a coin door to be on the cab as in my mini Star Wars. But the coin door itself cannot be half size. So I need something suitable there, but I already have my eye on something.

The marquee will be a challenge of course. Not being a straight flat piece of plexi it's bent in two places so that it stands out from the cabinet. That will need some careful planning but I'm already onto it with a local plastics supplier. They have a "line bend" in their factory which is used to make very neat bends in plexi and they are happy to make one-offs for me at a cash price.

Because I want to replicate the original US cabinet it also needs something that could be tricky to replicate. And that's the scoreboard! The EU cabinet didn't have this scoreboard... instead it just had a huge "Atari" logo in it's place between the speakers. Which of course is crap. I want to raise the bar within my own builds and so leaving out this piece of the jigsaw would seem like cutting corners. Again, I'm already in contact with someone about this part of the build and I'm confident this can be pulled off. It should work fine with Daphne emulator also.

The artwork is something I always try to get before building the cabinet. I've learned this from making my first Donkey Kong bartop. It's so much easier to build the cabinet to set dimensions than it is to get artwork printed to fit. The cabinet itself will be built to plans available from Jakobud.com.

I've been in touch with Quarterarcade.com about getting half size art printed for this project as they are the only official supplier of licensed Dragon's Lair artwork. But unfortunately they said "no" as they explained they needed to have runs of 50-100 printed each time. Making a one-off set for me isn't viable.

So this means I've been trawling the net for "unofficial" images of a decent quality to download and get printed at my end. I've found excellent images of the sideart and scorboard plexi. I've also got decent images of the CPO and marquee but I'm not sure if they will turn out OK when printed. All are at 300 dpi though. I won't post links to them as they are "unofficial". But I'm certainly not quitting this project over a licensing issue. If anyone has any art they could share then that could be a great help.

I have no pics at the moment because I quite simply have nothing to take pics of! (Except for a joystick!)

Mungo9000

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 25, 2016, 09:18:21 am
Re: Dragon's Lair mini replica
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 02:09:41 pm »
I was thinking about building a DL mini after downloading the HD Dragon's Lair for Android.
My last project was Two Mini Bartops (Android) and during development I downloaded the free Dragon's Lair game app to try it out. It was fantastic. Space Ace is also available.

Unless you want the other Daphne games (Roadblasters and Cliffhanger being the only ones you'll play more that once), going with an Android TV stick or even a tablet would make your job much easier than using Daphne.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 02:13:57 pm by Mungo9000 »

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 04:25:52 pm »
That HD Dragon's Lair looks interesting. I see the drawbridge scene is incorporated into that.

Gotta admit androids are not something I'm all too familiar with. I'm comfortable with old PCs and I also already have Daphne and can get it working how I want with no issues. Also I doubt the scoreboard I have planned would interface with the Android version.

As I say it looks a cool version and it's great to see these classic games gaining popularity on other platforms. But I think I'll pass on that option for this project though.

Jigenjuke

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 02, 2016, 12:00:50 am
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 09:42:34 pm »
Hey there Leeds,

I think that I may have all of the DL art.  I think that I got this from a guy who vectored it all in Illustrator.  I will check around.  Don't want to step on any copyright toes.  I will check my HDDs when I get home.  PM me.

Jigenjuke

Jigenjuke

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 02, 2016, 12:00:50 am
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 12:20:29 am »
Also, looking around found this little guy.  Looks AWESOME!  Wish I has the use of a laser CNC machine.

Jigenjuke

shrunkenmaster

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2022, 10:17:33 am
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 12:14:09 pm »
Hello fella, nice to see you doing another mini. Look forward to seeing the progress!

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 04:25:31 pm »
Been a while since I started this project thread. But while things have been taking their time in the planning stage I can confirm that things have definitely moved on now.

I want to try and raise the bar within my own builds, and with that in mind I had to try and be as accurate as possible to the original US spec cabinet. That means recreating the scoreboard, using the correct controls and trying to get an authentic coin door.

It's taken some time to collect together, but here is where I'm at now.....

I already have a couple of 8-way Wico sticks built into a generic panel I created for my Defender bartop. However that panel has not seen any use at all to be honest (it's a dedicated Defender now) and so those sticks are going spare. So one of them will be used for this project. The above pic shows the original red ball tops that came with those Wicos when I first bought them. As you can see they need some restoration. I bought new black top sticks for the generic panel, but of course I need a red one for Dragon's Lair. So I'll pick the red top with the best "ball" and have a go at getting it in tip top shape. Unless there are any red top Wico sticks out there... anyone?

While searching Ebay endlessly for something suitable I managed to come across this coin door for sale. It's a genuine new old stock Cinematronics coin door as fitted to the US spec Dragon's Lair cabinets. The logo plate is intact as you can see, and the coin reject buttons are in great shape. The door does have marks in the paint from around 30 years of storage, but other that that it's in as new condition. This will be stripped and repainted in satin black to get it pristine. There are no coin mechs fitted and I'm not intending on fitting any. I'll fit switches to the backs of the coin reject buttons to act as "credit" and "escape" as I did with the Star Wars cabinet.

I know that this coin door is obviously "full size" and I'm building a half size cabinet. But I couldn't pass up on the genuine article, and although it will take up the full width of the front panel I think the authenticity of it will add to the project rather than look silly by being "too big". The cabinet will be 58% size rather than a strict 50%, and this coin door has seen to that tweak in the plan as it's just over 13.5 inches wide. Everthing else will also be 58% to original scale, but I doubt anyone would really notice that from strict half size.

I received this little beauty last week. It's a half sized Dragon's Lair scoreboard that works with Daphne emulator. I actually got two of these made up with blank PCBs for another five. So if one does go down I have a spare to install and can then get another built up from copying parts of the other into a blank.

This was built by a guy in the States (Mark Spaeth at Cambridge Arcade Supplies) who also supplies full sized DL scoreboards for original cabinets. He was extrememly helpful and co-operative with this project especially as this is a one off. I emailed him a half sized image of the scoreboard plexi glass and he was then able to make sure all the digital segments lined up correctly. I've not yet had a chance to test it myself yet with Daphne as I don't yet have a parallel cable and also that my current Daphne install is on a PC that doesn't have a parallel port. So I suppose that's my next step... get a cheap tower with the correct port.

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 02:40:42 pm »
Progress is now being made again on this project. Managed to get the side panels cut out. Usual thing for me is to cut one out as neat as possible and then use a flush trim bit to get the second panel to match the first. I decided up on plywood for this project. It's easier to work with than MDF and lighter too. This is a medium grade ply from B&Q. The cheapest grade available was £30 but very rough on the surfaces. It will be trimmed in vinyl as per the original cabinet but even so the roughness would have been noticeable and totally spoiled the cabinet.

There was also a "cabinet" grade of ply sheet but at £60 that was a bit much for me. I settled on the medium grade which still has very smooth surfaces but cost £40. Fair compromise.

The coin door has been dismantled and stripped of the old paint. I used dimensions of the back of the frame to work out the cut out needed in the front panel. It's a nice tight fit but of course will be bolted down using the carriage bolts. The width of the coin door is exactly the width of the front panel. A little over size but fitting an original Cinematronics coin door just couldn't be turned down. The coin door is now away at a local firm for powder coating black. This is about £30 which isn't bad. Would have cost me around £15 in aerosols and then a lot of faffing about painting the parts myself, so for £30 it's worth it to me. Hope the results are good!

I made a start on the control panel which I decided to make out of 2mm aluminium plate. I used a vice mounted metal former to make the bends in the sheet so they are nice and neat and above all... straight! I used some black and white prints of my panel artwork to ensure the bends are in the right places. All the crud you can see on the panel here is where I tried to stick the paper art down with some Polyfilla! Just lazyness as it was to hand at the time. It didn't work very well.  :laugh:  So I got off my arse and used glue as I should have done in the first place.  :P

All that crud will just peel off anyway in the end as it's all on the blue protective film on the one side of the plate.

I also added a piano hinge to the bottom of the panel. This will be screwed to the top of the front panel of the cabinet and allow full access to the underside. I think I got the angles somewhere near to the original panel, but without reference to a machine I basically had to eyeball many images on the net and hazard a guess. I don't think the first bend is a true 90 degrees. I think it's meant to be a little larger, so I set mine larger too. It's about 100 degrees or so. Second bend is much shallower of course and the slope matches the slope of the monitor glass in the cabinet. I can tweak these bends a little later on if need be to get the slope exactly right.

I used counter sunk set screws to mount the hinge and set them to sit lower than the surface of the panel. Once the nuts are fully tightened the heads will be covered with some suitable filling material and then sanded smooth. None of that will be visible when the artwork is fitted.

The joystick I've decided to use is the Seimitsu LS32-01, basically because I have a spare one lying around. It already has a red Sanwa ball top fitted which will match the red Sanwa OBSF 24 "Sword" buttons I will be using. P1 and P2 buttons will be Sanwa OBSF 24 whites.

I do have an original Wico stick here (which was equipment fitted at factory) but there are two reasons I'm not using it. First is because it just physically won't fit my reduced sized panel. And secondly... I just think they're ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- anyway!  I know there are fans of them on here but I just cannot take to them. I find the zero feedback unappealing and the reliability of the switch contact very hit and miss. Granted the sticks I have here are very old and that should be taken into consideration. But things have moved on now in the world of arcade gaming and just because it was good back in the day doesn't mean it is now.
(Cue Robotron fans cries of disagreement)  >:D

shrunkenmaster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 11:22:26 am »
Nice to see some progress fella, hope all is good!

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 03:44:16 pm »
Got the control panel finished this weekend. Obviously got to apply finished artwork. I'm pretty well pleased with how it turned out. Except for one error where the joystick shaft isn't central to the hole. Bit miffed with that as the original machine did not use a dust washer. But I'm gonna have to use one now as I can't leave it like that. But the original machine also had visible carriage bolts that mounted the joystick, whereas my panel is clean. So I suppose I just swapped those for a dust washer.  :P

I'm using a ZD Encoder that I bought from forum member Vigo some time ago. They are just very cheap joystick boards that plug into USB. I bought three ages ago to use for future projects. Used two now so still one left.  :)

Panel will be secured using arcade style latch brackets. They work well and are easily accessible through the coin door.

I also got a lot done with the cabinet build, but didn't get any pics as it got dark too quickly. Hope to get some soon.

a1pharm

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2024, 09:22:48 pm
  • Planning and preparation prevents problems
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 04:00:43 pm »
Don't use that dust washer, get your dremel out, and adjust those mounting holes to allow you to fine tune the placement of the center.  See my very clear, absolutely non-ambiguous attachment.

(I apologize for the envy that will overtake you when you witness my graphic design skills).

Cheers!
 :cheers:

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 06:33:41 pm »
Don't use that dust washer, get your dremel out, and adjust those mounting holes to allow you to fine tune the placement of the center.  See my very clear, absolutely non-ambiguous attachment.

(I apologize for the envy that will overtake you when you witness my graphic design skills).

Cheers!
 :cheers:

I don't have a dremel   :-[   And I've already used chemical metal to smooth over those counter sunk heads.  I admire your inclination to stay true to the course of originality. I don't think the dust washer I'm using will be detrimental to the final look. The artwork for this machine isn't critical in that area. The Seimitsu dust washer is small anyway. I'm gonna press on with what I've done so far, but thanks for your input. I drilled the hole slightly too big anyway which means you can see the blue plastic pivot part of the joystick. So dust washer hides this also.

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 12:13:01 pm »
Here's where I'm up to with the cabinet build. I decided to use vinyl for this project as the original machine was trimmed in a very similar style. It was also trimmed on the inside where the monitor is so I've replicated that as well. Got this stuff from Quarter Arcade and the price was reasonable when I ordered it. But the shipping was expensive and then I got whacked by UK customs for duties and taxes.  :angry:

The vinyl is excellent and is just the right thickness for easy application. Doesn't show imperfections in the wood too badly either. I've tried looking for this type of vinyl roll or laminate here in the UK but I've always drawn a blank. There is a local supplier of vinyl for digital printing which I've used before, but the stuff is very thin indeed and shows imperfections too readily.

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 01:17:58 pm »
Coin door came back from the powder coaters today. Very pleased with it! This will look mint when fully assembled in the cabinet.   :D

MacDLSA

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2022, 02:45:12 am
  • There's a room where the light won't find you
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 06:11:09 pm »
Hi there

Marco here, from Italy !

REALLY A PRETTY MINI-CABINET !!!!

I'm a huge Dragon's Lair fan since the very first day I saw it in a local arcade in the 1984 and, more genarally, a LaserDisc games fan :) !
It was an "Atari by Sidam" cabinet, with the 2nd display on its top, Philips 22VP932 as LaserDisc player with Philips PAL disc inside and, of course, a Sidam romset revision.
Some years ago I subscribed and entered into the DaphneTeam as "bugfinder", tester and I also did some video/audio editing on the captures of the european releases of Dragon's Lair and Space Ace  :) !
Although I still prefer those "EURO" versions, I built a ful-height Cinematronics repro cabinet, with the original scoreboard, plexy panel and the two speakers as the only original parts...

DAPHNE INSIDE, of course... also with some little "improvements" I did years ago  ;) .

... IN MY OLD GARAGE

... AND IN MY NEW (since 5 years) ONE  :) !

Well, saying a typical italian expression, "so much water has passed under the bridge" after I made this cabinet...

This year, just like LeedsFan said, it's the 30th  Anniversary and I heard around the World there were some meetings/reunions for the DL's 30th anniversary.
Well, I decided to plan such a meeting here in my little "Mac'sArcade", so :

I heard around the World there were some meetings/reunions for the DL's 30th anniversary.
Well, I decided to plan such a meeting here in my little "Mac'sArcade" , so :

-cleaned up garage and little tavern/arcade room
-metal shelves in the garage covered with blue tarps to make the environment less austere
-some chips
-some popcorn
-beers
-... and few but good nerd fellows :D !
( I am the fellow on the upper left... :D )

I worked 3 days (3 of my August holydays...) to build this little "present" for the anniversary :

It's a MINI Dragon's Lair cabinet, built from the beginning "around" an Asus eeePC900 (my wife's computer... ), and it's 1 : 2.4 scale.
I decided in that way to make marquee and CP dimensions compatible with A4 format for printing artworks by myself !!!
After a few days, I fix it all and made it "free" from the eeePC...

> an all-in-one MB with a Pentium4 H.T. 3 Ghz
> an 8" LCD TV / VGA monitor
> two USB-powered stereo speakers

> LEDs back-lited marquee, powered by the +12v taken from a PSU molex

details of the marquee : heat-bent brown plexyglass  ;)

details of the controls interface (this time I wanted something cheaper than the "regular" I-Pac... so I went to an ArcadeParts e-shop in the UK...

All its part, except for the display ( 50 €uros, new ), the speakers ( 10 €, new ) and the  control interface ( 20 €, new ) are "recycled" from other previous buildings  :D !
MDF, joystick, buttons, spary paint and the computer parts... all "USED"  ;D !
Then I could say it's an "ECOLOGICAL cabinet"  :D .

I'm already building 4 other cabinets like that, but as it is a "proto" version, I'm going to make some modifying to realize something like your mini-cab, LeedsFan !
I'm not "skilled" so much as you , but I always did my best to build good cabinets (and not only cabinets...  ;) I'm also an "audiophiler" and like to build by myself loudspeakers, amplifiers, also with vacuum tubes, and other "things"...

Well... I hope to had not bothered you...

Ciao !!!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 07:34:44 am by MacDLSA »
Welcome to your life
there's no turning back.
Even while we sleep
we will find you
acting on your best behavior.
Turn your back on mother nature

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 11:02:59 pm »
I tried doing this numerous times from jakobud, but could never finish.  Nice job, but I like your DK (enjoyed playing at UK CGE) better.  The joystick looks too big.  Head over to this place for an alternative.  Mark is a great guy, and I am glad he worked his magic for you.  :applaud:
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2013, 02:53:51 am »
@ MacDLSA    Wow!!! Those cabinets look fantastic. In fact that's a nice looking few cabs you have there!  Love the tavern/arcade room theme. Wish I had room for something like that. Well done!  :applaud:

It's great when you can recylce old stuff you have lying around for a project like that. That mini one really came together well. I also had a spare PC lying around which I wanted to use but it didn't support OpenGL 2.0 for the screen rotation. So I bought a new basic motherboard that does. I could of course have got a smaller screen but I can't find any cheap enough to warrant putting in a project like this. I don't mind spending some money but over £100 on a small LCD monitor is not viable for me.

I have some questions about your full size build:

1)  Where did you get the vinyl to trim the cabinet? Looks like the kind of stuff I've been looking for here in UK but no joy. Does it have a slight texture to it?

2)  Is that an original DL control panel you have there? I'm trying to sort out the slope of the monitor and can't decide if it should be 45 degrees or not. I just guessed the bends in my panel from looking at pics on the web. So the angle for the slope at the top of my panel may not be correct. I need a little more room to get the monitor fitted in portrait mode, and if I bend the panel so it matches the monitor at 45 degrees I should get it in. Currently it's around 30 degrees or something as that's what it looks like in Jakobuds plans:

As you can see the monitor slope in there is much less than 45 degrees, but I'm not sure if that is right.

The way you bent the plaxi looks very ingenious. I may need to steal that idea from you.  :P  Dunno how easy it will be, but I'm only using 3mm plexi for the marquee. Shouldn't take too much to heat to make bend?  :dunno  I suppose I can practice on a few pieces. Plexi is quite cheap anyway. I do have a local firm who said they could do it for me but if I can do it myself I might as well.

@ Ark_ader   Awww man you should have introduced yourself. Was it this years event you went to at Event City? Anyway... the joystick fitted to the DK is a repro of the original Nintendo stick. I wanted to be as authentic as possible. If you played it in Blackpool that was fitted with U360 which I swapped out as it didn't have that proper 4 way feeling in the gate.

MacDLSA

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2013, 07:21:16 am »
Sorry, guys... I read the replies too late and I'm goin' to my job right now...

WARNING !!! Jakobud's project are ALL WRONG !
Keep away from them... I'll give you the right measurements, took off from a dismounted Atari european cabinet (which is much similar to the Cinematronics) !

Later, dude
Welcome to your life
there's no turning back.
Even while we sleep
we will find you

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2013, 04:13:46 pm »
Sorry, guys... I read the replies too late and I'm goin' to my job right now...

WARNING !!! Jakobud's project are ALL WRONG !
Keep away from them... I'll give you the right measurements, took off from a dismounted Atari european cabinet (which is much similar to the Cinematronics) !

Later, dude

Oh dear   :'(  I built my cabinet now based on those drawings.   Looking at many images on the net I reckon I can see two things wrong for certain with the dims in the image above. The monitor deffo looks to be sloping at 45 degrees on all the cabinets I see (including Space Ace which is the same cab). The other dimension that looks way out is the space between top panel and the top of the side panels. Drawing states 2.6".... no cabinet I see comes anywhere near that.

I have a few tweaks to do to my cab anyway as I'm in the throes of fitting the marquee plexi. I made my marquee panels sit flush to the side panels so they need moving back to accommodate the plexi and marquee retainers. Not a hard job but needs doing to make it look right. I've come too far now to totally rebuild this. Gonna press on and make it look right as close as can be.

I really appreciate your input on this as I can see you're a real fan of this game. If you do have any plans or drawings I'm sure many people would love to see them.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2013, 12:40:59 am »

Awww man you should have introduced yourself. Was it this years event you went to at Event City? Anyway... the joystick fitted to the DK is a repro of the original Nintendo stick. I wanted to be as authentic as possible. If you played it in Blackpool that was fitted with U360 which I swapped out as it didn't have that proper 4 way feeling in the gate.

Twice actually.  You had the DK next to the Tombola (was really cool and I got loads of 50p prizes) at the first Blackpool show, then you had your Starwars and DK and that short throw projector at the second show.  The joystick was really good.

No worries.  I hope to see you CAX next year.  Start saving your pennies.  ;)
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

MacDLSA

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2013, 10:03:40 am »
Well, LeedsFan... I'll try to answer to all your question :)

Firs of all, Daphne does NOT require an OpenGL2.0 capability to run as well as it can. YUV hardware acceleration is already the best choice for optimal performance & emulation. I always used (and still use) all-in-one boards for all my cabinets, and where it really is necessary (read: for 15 kHz CRT display) I use one of my ATI 92xx AGP VGA board series (eek! ... I got 2 left of them, only, at the moment  :'( !) with "Soft15 & c."...

For the display I could suggest you (and all the other people who likes to build small-size cabinets) to check on the chinese eBay...
I'm sure you can find SOME INTERESTING THINGS...  ;)

I got the vinyl from a local big DIY store that since 2 years changed its name and became one of those many "Leroy Merlin" center...
It is "normal" in this shop: you could find many types of vinyls...    black, red, green, blue and with or without particular textures on the surfaces.
For my DL cab I took the black-flat-no textured, as the original Cinematronics cabinet wants to have  :) !

The ControlPanel is a piece of galvanized metal, which was later shaped, drilled and bent following the exact DL's CP develop sheet.

I suggest you to have a look at the drawings I got here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/117710395593968524416/DragonSLairAtariCabinetSHEETS

Watch all the cabinets all around the web and pay attention to their shape and how they do look...
You'll find out that Jacobud's drawings does absolutely NOT respect the reality !
I remember many years ago at the Dragon's Lair Project site we thought that this Jako'sheet could have been the one of the PROTOTYPE cab, but no one was really sure and never had any clue to confirm it (also because no one of us had seen such a cabinet !!!)

PROTO CABINETS (we couldn't see so much of them... but that's it  ;D )

And this is another PROTO-cab... one of the "people-test" pre-release  ::)

Oh... hehe, the plexyglass...
The more the thickness is thin, the better it takes the shape you want. But, as you would see if you'll try, when you warm it up it follows the shape and when you turn off the hairdryer it will come back in its previous shape, also defying the force of gravity  :-\ :D !
Nothing impossible, just insist... but pay attention that it could deform too much if not put under a full buffer (and a marquee could not  be "full", as it might have empty space between its top and the bottom...)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 10:07:08 am by MacDLSA »
Welcome to your life
there's no turning back.
Even while we sleep
we will find you

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2013, 12:33:37 pm »
Many thanks for those cabinet plans! I only wish I'd got hold of those earlier. You can clearly see the monitor is at 45 degrees in those plans. And in that first proto pic you have the monitor is sloped way back, more like in the Jako plans. And who knew the Atari and US marquees were differently shaped? I think the Jako plans are OK in many respects but some parts (like monitor position) look way out.

Anyway, I'm almost done with the shell of the cabinet now, but I've not fitted the monitor yet. So I'll do some tweaks and get some pics up soon.

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2023, 01:46:12 pm
  • Can u guess what game this image is from?
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2013, 12:59:37 pm »
I also remember the 1st time I saw DL. I adored the game, as well as DL2, Space Ace, & Cliff Hanger. Was also very happy with DL3D (I remember thinking 'finally, they've done it! DL graphics with open ended play!' Not quite, but I still loved it (despite mediocre envies). Good luck man!

...related topic (but sorry for the change): There was talk years ago on the Dragon's Lair Project site of creating a new...what the heck do u call it?--laser discish cartoon type game that I assume was going to b open source--I emailed & asked about it years ago, but never got an answer. Anyone here know anything about it?
"Godzilla is a warning. A warning to each and every one of us. When mankind falls into conflict with nature, monsters are born."
Professor Hayashida

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2013, 05:16:59 pm »

Firs of all, Daphne does NOT require an OpenGL2.0 capability to run as well as it can. YUV hardware acceleration is already the best choice for optimal performance & emulation. I always used (and still use) all-in-one boards for all my cabinets, and where it really is necessary (read: for 15 kHz CRT display) I use one of my ATI 92xx AGP VGA board series (eek! ... I got 2 left of them, only, at the moment  :'( !) with "Soft15 & c."...

Forgot to reply to this bit. I do have a PC here I intended to use for this project. It's a small form factor Dell Optiplex PC. Not sure of the exact spec but it's from a college and as such is as basic as it gets. No graphics card... in fact no PCI slot at all to even add a basic one. It's on board graphics or nothing. It will run Daphne fine but I want it to run it in portrait mode as the monitor needs to be turned through 90 degrees. As such I need to use the OpenGL option in the Daphne Configuration but it won't run like that. I keep getting the error "OpenGL 2.0 missing". When I checked the specs of the Dell Optiplex it seems it supports OpenGL 1.4 only.

I could of course use a smaller monitor in normal full screen mode, but it was cheaper to buy a new all in one PC that will run portrait mode than buy a 10"-13"monitor that would fit my cabinet.

MacDLSA

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2013, 02:32:56 am »
... it was cheaper to buy a new all in one PC that will run portrait mode than buy a 10"-13"monitor that would fit my cabinet.

Sorry, I missed that part where you need to rotate the display 90°  :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: ... then, yes: you need the OpenGL, of course  :embarassed:

Cheaper not much... I just bought a bunch of those displays:

9.7", 4:3 , 1024x768 , complete with VGA conversion board , power (psu excluded) and functions' keyboard ; € 97 per piece , FREE shipping (China)

I have to throw them into two micro-cabinets I am building like the "nanocade"...  ;)

8", 4:3 , 800x600, complete with VGA conversion board , power (psu excluded) and functions' keyboard ; € 51 per piece , FREE shipping (China)

... and these are for the 4 ( !!! ) MINI-Dragon's Lair cabinets I have to build ;) !

As you can see, the difference in price between the 10 and the 8 inches is HUGE  :o :o !!!
The 8" lower resolution is not an issue, 'coz  Daphne could even run in 640x480 and believe me it runs VERY well in this mode, of course with small displays...  :D

[ Sorry, LeedsFan: I'm new in this forum and I dunno if I could throw here some eBay links for you... ]
Welcome to your life
there's no turning back.
Even while we sleep
we will find you

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2013, 03:39:46 am »
Those monitors do look cool. I'm planning a pinball build soon and I will need a smaller monitor for the DMD display. 97 Euros isn't bad but that's still double the price I paid for my Gigabyte E350 motherboard from CCL.
http://www.cclonline.com/product/108174/GA-E350N-WIN8/Motherboards/Gigabyte-E-350-Motherboard/MBD0487/

That board has integrated CPU and graphics with a parallel port as well for the score board. It's a very basic board for a home theatre set up but of course for my needs is great too.

You should be able to put links up for the monitors. I'm always wary of buying stuff from China though. I always think I'm gonna get scammed. I have seen small monitors here in the UK but they tend to be all touch screen which of course bumps up the price to ridiculous levels for a feature I just don't need.

MacDLSA

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2013, 03:42:34 am »
Uh, that MB is kinda' like the one(s) I use to put inside my cabinets  8) !
I'm 44 y.o. and the 99.9 % of my friends are over 40 (or just under 50, too !) so cabinet's PCs don't need to be powerful enough to emulate even 3d games or such other "modern crappy stuff" that nobody would play...  ;D
So, I use to make my cabs work with Atom-based all-in-one mainboards, whose driver installation is much simpler and especially STEADY ( !!! ) than the other "sibling" boards like VIA Epia and "company"... Never tried one like "your", though.

Yeah, parallel port is the only way to bring life to the Dragon's Lair hardware scoreboard !
I remember when me and a friend of mine worked on it several years ago... I also suggested to the Daphne "leader" to write a little program which is able to reset the scoreboard out of Daphne.exe, then I put it in the "auto execute" folder in XP so when the o.s. is fully loaded, scoreboard turns off :) !

Chinese stuff ?
I use to buy items from China, also for my DIW hi-fi projects, and I'd NEVER miss anything !
Of course, shipping is so much longer than all the other world countries, but, as we use to say here, "the game is worth the candle"  :D !

Here's the link to that shop I mentioned before...  ;)
http://stores.ebay.it/chinatobby/category485977719-/_i.html?rt=nc&_fsub=485977719&_sid=1070328859&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14&_sop=15&_sc=1
Welcome to your life
there's no turning back.
Even while we sleep
we will find you

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2013, 02:42:34 pm »
Not got too much done recently, but there has been progress. I decided to fix the marquee panels by setting them back as they should have been in the first place. I also slightly changed the lower panel to match the way the US marquee looks. As mentioned earlier (and in the link MacDLSA posted) there is a slight difference between the US and EU marquee details. And in Jakobud's plans it certainly looks like they detailed the EU marquee which isn't the one I want.

I also fitted the coin door. I needed to make sure it fit nice as well as have space behind for the PC panel. Although I'm not using any actual coin mechs I still have some protrusion at the back of the door that I needed to make sure cleared.

I finished the shell of the cab off with these two hinged doors. I needed two doors because if i fitted panels I wouldn't be able to get in and fit/adjust the monitor or the scoreboard panel. There is a small panel between these doors of course, but I can work around that. Doors have been removed for access but they fit nice. The inside of the fan hole has been trimmed with T-molding. And yes... that fan is overkill I think for this cabinet. But it was cheap and should be quiet.

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2013, 12:24:50 pm »
It's been a bit slow recently as I've been busy with work. Dark nights too when I get home so only getting time at weekends to work on this project. I am slowly making progress though. And this week I got the marquee plexi and the retainers finished.

I was going to go to a local plastics firm to bend the marquee plexi on their line bender. Not a service they usually provide for little one off jobs like this but they did say they would do it for me. But I thought if it's not right first time I'd have to go back, and then I'd just end up being a nuisance to them. So I tried it myself with a cheap £20 heat gun I bought from Screwfix. I had to cut a second one out and try again as I messed the first up. It was a case of getting used to how the plexi behaved and exactly where it would bend in the vice mounted bending tool I have. It's not 100% perfect now but it is very good and fits nicely.

The retainers are made from aluminium strip and again I messed up two before I got the top one right. I used chemical metal to fill the gaps where I bent the strips and filed down smooth. They still need painting of course.

Next is to get the artwork mounted to he plexi and also to the control panel. I usually fit the artwork last but I need to finalise the CP as I still have some to trim off the top. The artwork will determine where it is trimmed so it needs fitting now. CP then gets fitted so the monitor can go in. It's planned in my mind the order of things, but stuff sometimes doesn't go as smoothly as you hope.

MacDLSA

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2013, 01:19:20 pm »
LeedsFan, great job !
But I think you've done wrong with the lower metal rail for the marquee...
You should have cut diagonally the CENTER ( purple ) part and leave the EXTERNAL ( blue ) parts with a straight cut...

Welcome to your life
there's no turning back.
Even while we sleep
we will find you

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2013, 03:01:30 am »
LeedsFan, great job !
But I think you've done wrong with the lower metal rail for the marquee...
You should have cut diagonally the CENTER ( purple ) part and leave the EXTERNAL ( blue ) parts with a straight cut...

Hmmmm.... well I don't have an original machine to reference to for such details. That can always be a problem. However in my pic above the upper, narrower retainer is the lower fitting, so it does look like the one in your image. The larger retainer at the bottom is the top one for the cabinet.

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2013, 03:41:44 am »
I really wanted to get this project finished before Christmas as I have other stuff to be getting on with (non arcade related). Then my car broke down on Friday and so I was forced off work for a weekend (I'm a taxi driver) so it was a case of get cracking and get this done.

The retainers were already made but needed painting, and the marquee plexi was awaiting the artwork so I got those bits finished first together with the speaker grilles.

The artwork went on straight but when I test fitted the marquee I had quite a lot of light leakage down each side. So I decided to trim each side with some plastic strip to get rid of that. I know the original cabinet didn't have this added to the marquee, but it makes the final effect look so much better and you can hardly tell it's there anyway unless you look.

Got the marquee light fitted.

Then I set about getting the sound system in place together with the PC itself. It's just a little 2.1 system that I got with a cheap PC I bought a while back locally from Ebay. Nice little unit with decent sound for a small project like this. I placed the sub in the base of the cabinet and had it screwed in place with brackets. Then I put a shelf directly across the top of the sub to put the PC parts on to.

The sub volume etc. is easily controlled through the front door if needed. The PC itself is a mini-ITX board with onboard graphics and processor. Very compact unit (apart from the full size ATX PSU I had lying around  ;)) and it handles Hyperspin rather well, albeit on the lowest level of detail.

The control panel needed to be finished off as there was still some extra metal to trim from the top. I had to fit the artwork to the panel in order to know exactly where I would be trimming. Once this was done I then used some of that plastic strip to hide the non perfect edge of my jigsaw cut. Again, the original machine didn't have this strip but you need to compromise somewhere if stuff doesn't quite cut it in the aesthetics department. Here you can see the underside of the panel now it's finished.

Here's a shot from the back showing the underside of the panel when closed. You can just see at each side of the pic the arcade latches I used to secure the panel down with. They work really well but it was a struggle to get them to just fit between the monitor. I had to lift the monitor back a little to allow room to move the latches back if I needed to unlock the panel. This in turn meant I needed to route out around 12mm of the upper back door as the monitor needed that clearance at the other end. Was lucky it all just fit inside really.

Monitor was then added (although you can see it in prevous pic). Again I had to get the slope right and ensure the screen image was straight across the top of the control panel. The white marks on the bezel of the monitor are where the image sits when running, so some adjustment had to be made in ATI control panel to bring everything into line.

Then it was down to getting many of the finishing touches completed. Got the switches attached to the rear of the coin door and wired up the bulbs to the 12V of the PSU. Since I've been testing stuff both of these bulbs have failed on me. It could be due to them being 30+ year old parts that have been laying around dormant all this time. Replacements will be sought today and hopefully it will all be back in order. They did look nice for the short time they worked.  :lol

The switches behind the coin reject buttons are left side for adding credits, and right side to exit back to Hyperspin from any game. I went through each game in the list and removed any that needed more than one action button such as Cliff Hanger etc.

Now there was only one last thing to make.... the scoreboard panel. I routed the edges of a piece of ply at 45 degrees to get it to fit between the monitor and the upper panel. It still didn't fit perfectly top and bottom but I had an idea around that. The scoreboard art image was them printed on to stiff card (with the digit areas cut out) which was then cut to fit exactly on the back panel. It did overhand a little top and bottom but plexi was to be cut to cover that. With the digit areas cut out I was able to mark exactly where the scoreboard PCB was to fit.

It was all a little bit fiddly but I got there in the end. Here's a pic before the final scoreboard image and plexi was put on top which will be held in place by the eight screws for the grilles. That means the entire assembly can be removed as one from the front of the cabinet if need be. The scoreboard PCB runs from 5V supply of the PSU and interfaces with the PC using parallel cable.

The speakers at the back had little plastic legs to stand on a desk. But one little bonus was that once those legs were cut off the shape of the speakers units meant they wedged perfectly between the monitor and the lower marquee panel. No other special fixing  was needed and they are quite tight in there.

The next pics will be of the cabinet completely finished. Still one or two areas of light leakage to sort out, mainly from the large red LED fan on the back door. Might cut off the supply to the LEDs altogether as that light isn't needed. T-molding to fit and side art and it should be all done.

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2013, 12:54:09 pm »
Got over the finish line with this project today. I'm really pleased with how it turned out. I'll just list the final pics here for now. I took these pics some with flash and some without. My camera phone isn't that great but it's all I have since my original digital camera packed up on me.

The only issue I have with this cabinet is the artwork. The side art and the CPO came out OK, although the CPO artwork isn't as bright as the original I don't think. The marquee art work is the problem when it is lit up. Dunno if it comes out on these pics but it the colours look quite washed out in front of the light. Not too happy with that really but it was the best I could do locally. I did want Scott at GameOnGraffix to do the art for me but I just could not get any replies from their new email ticketing system at all.

Only other thing is a small scuff mark that wants cleaning up on the inside of the left panel (you can see it in the pics). It actually looks worse in these pics than it does in person, but it does need seeing to.

Don't think I will be doing any more arcade game related projects for a while now, although I do want to make a video pinball machine (around 2/3rd to 3/4 size).

shrunkenmaster

• Offline Offline
Re: Dragon's Lair mini replica - NOW FINISHED WITH PICS!!!
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2013, 01:15:08 pm »
Nice work fella!  :applaud:

EightBySix

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2021, 01:50:16 pm
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2013, 02:23:57 pm »
Dragon's Lair celebrates it's 30th anniversary this year. And even though I was never a fan of the game back in the 80s I still acknowledge it's status as an all time classic arcade game.

I remember seeing it for the very first time in a local arcade in Leeds city centre. I was like... "WOW!!!". It was a genuine jaw dropping moment. The graphics!!! Of course I didn't know that it was operating a laser disc switching different clips of animation to my joystick movements.

That wouldn't have been the one on lower briggate would it?

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2013, 03:18:51 pm »

That wouldn't have been the one on lower briggate would it?

Yes... next to Class menswear.   :applaud:

sabreerbasAlpha

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2017, 07:28:29 pm
  • Remember those big 10ps?
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2013, 02:24:57 am »
Top quality work. I would love to have this in my collection. One to be proud of my friend.  :applaud:

MacDLSA

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2013, 02:59:11 am »
Awesome job, LeedsFan !!!

I really think your woodwork skills are so much better than mine...

I will soon post some pics of the three MINI-DL Euro/Atari cabs I am still building.
Welcome to your life
there's no turning back.
Even while we sleep
we will find you

swaffar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2016, 03:34:15 pm
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2013, 09:23:51 am »
Very nice.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE minis!  I think it would be really cool to have an entire arcade of all my favorite minis.
My projects:

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2017, 08:35:41 am
    • Yvan256
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2013, 10:49:59 am »
This mini Dragon's Lair turned out really nice.  :cheers: