Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: NephRings - Custom LED Joystick Lighting  (Read 31431 times)

Nephasth

• Trade Count: (0)
NephRings - Custom LED Joystick Lighting
« on: June 20, 2013, 12:26:22 am »
Add some light to your joysticks!

1 NephRing - $14 shipped.
2 NephRings - $26 shipped.
4 NephRings - $48 shipped.
Shipping outside the U.S. will be extra.

NephRings are designed to be mounted between your joystick base and control panel to provide LED lighting to your dust washer area. They can be used with either top mounted (if translucent) or under mounted dust washers. Unlike LED lit balltops, the wiring harnesses of NephRings do not move, eliminating the risk of twisted and broken wires.

An example of a NephRing installed with an under mounted dust washer.

A NephRing installed with a top mounted custom dust washer (available from TEFightStands here). Lit and unlit for comparison.

The NephRing is a laser cut piece of 1/8” acrylic plate that is cut to the same size and hole layout as your joystick base. The hole is designed to be 1/8" smaller in diameter than your control panel joystick hole, this will allow the NephRing to be exposed 1/16" all the way around the hole. When installed, LEDs are mounted to the edges of the plate shining inwards, allowing the ring in the center to illuminate.

Each NephRing comes with an LED harness containing 4 individual RGB LEDs wired together to act as one. These LEDs can be wired to your LED controller and allow you to change the colors of the LEDs on demand across a wide spectrum of different colors. If you don’t have an LED controller, they can be hard wired to a power supply to produce one of 7 different colors (Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, Pink/Purple, Teal, and White). You can request to have your LEDs wired for either 5V or 12V operation. The LEDs and harnesses are hand soldered and made by myself.

These are the available colors when hard wiring RGB LEDs:

This pic shows an LED harness installed. This was a prototype harness, but your harness will be pretty much the same, just 2" longer. The harness you will receive consists of two parts, the LED harness and the power harness, separated by a Molex connector. Each half of the harness is about 8" long. You will have to connect to the power harness by your own means, pinout information can be found in the thrid post of this thread.

If you plan on using your NephRings with a PACLED64, please let me know when you order. Due to the current limitations of the PACLED64, only one RGB LED can be wired to a set of 3 outputs (one for red, one for green, and one for blue) on the PACLED64 (without the use of mosfets). However, resistors are not required for the LEDs when used with a PACLED64. You will receive LEDs with 4 color coded wires attached to each one, the set of 4 LEDs per NephRing will not be wired together so you will be able to wire each LED individually to your PACLED64. Keep in mind the number of outputs required for each NephRing when using them with a PACLED64. To have 4 LEDs to light up a NephRing would require 12 available outputs from your PACLED64. To save outputs, though, you can reduce the number of LEDs being used to light each NephRing. I have 3 RGB LEDs lighting each NephRing on the Two-Headed Beast.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 11:31:11 am by Nephasth »

Nephasth

Re: NephRings - Custom LED Joystick Lighting
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 12:26:40 am »
--How To Order--

First determine the part number you need. Part numbers are in the following format: NR-XXX-000

The first set of letters will always be NR (NephRing).

The second set of letters corresponds to your joystick type. These are the current available models...
HAP - Will work with these sticks: HAPP - Competition, Super, Ultimate, Replacement MsPacMan/Galaga, Top Fire, Rotary, & 49-Way;  IL - Eurostick; Wico; GGG - SmoothStick; Others
JLF - Will work with: JLF-TP-8YT
JLW - Will work with: JLW-TM-8, JLW-UM-8, OMNI2, J-Stik, and other wide based JLW type sticks
JLZ - Will work with: ZIPPYY, LS-32, LS-32-02, LS-40-01, Roundhouse, Spitfire, and other JLW knockoffs
MAG - Will work with: Mag-Stik, Mag-Stik Plus
NAM - Will work with: A stock Galaga stick, and possibly other Namco sticks (will update as compatibility is confirmed)
NIN - Will work with: Nintendo sticks like Donkey Kong (will need measurements for this before it can be produced)
PAC - Will work with: Original large base plate Pacman sticks (due to the large size of this stick, it will be an additional $2 each)
More to come...
Don't see your stick listed? No problem! Let me know, and I'll get a NephRing designed for it.

The set of numbers in the part number correspond to the joystick hole diameter in your control panel. These are the current sizes available...
000 - 7/8" control panel joystick hole
001 - 1" control panel joystick hole
002 - 1 1/8" control panel joystick hole
003 - 1 1/4" control panel joystick hole
004 - 1 3/8" control panel joystick hole
005 - 1 1/2" control panel joystick hole

So, for example, if you have a ZIPPYY stick and a 1" hole in your CP for your joystick, you would need an NR-JLZ-001.

Next, determine the voltage you want your LEDs to be ran off of. Either 5V or 12V. Also, an in harness LED controller may be available soon.

If you want me to hard wire your LEDs to be be one color, please let me know when ordering.

Once you know what you need...
Send me a PM with the following information:
1.   Name
2.   Paypal Email Address
3.   Mailing Address
4.   NephRing Part #
5.   Quantity
6.   5V or 12V?
7.   Will you be using a PACLED64? Yes/No
8.   Any notes about specific colors or other customizations we have discussed.

Once I receive your PM I will send you a PAYPAL invoice. Once paid, your order will go into the build queue.

The test batch (8 pieces) took my laser cutter 2 weeks to get done. He was waiting on other projects to cut at the same time. I plan on taking orders for 2-3 weeks (less if enough orders come in) before placing an order with my laser cutter. Hopefully there will be enough quantity so he won't put these on the back burner. I will start making the LED harnesses as orders come in, so these can ship off as soon as possible.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 11:28:48 am by Nephasth »

Nephasth

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 12:26:59 am »
--Recommended Installation Techniques--

My recommended method to mount the LEDs to the NephRings is to use hot glue. To ease installation, place a spot of hot glue on one edge of an LED then press it against the control panel in the desired location. Once the glue dries, apply more hot glue to insulate the solder points on the LED and to add further structural support to the mount. Repeat for the remaining LEDs.

You can see the LEDs glued into place here. (These were hastily installed, and the glue is a bit of a mess)

If "hot spotting" is a concern of yours, the LEDs can be mounted off center so that they are aimed at the edges of the ring instead of the center. You can see the bottom two LEDs for each joystick are mounted in this manner in this pic:

--Wiring--
With the exception of LEDs made for use with the PACLED64, wires will not be color coded. You will need to follow the pinout for the Molex connectors to wire the LEDs properly. Stamped on each side of each connector will be a pin number indicating eiter pin #1 or pin #8.

Pins 1-4 run across the bottom row of the connecter, and 5-8 across the top. The pinout is as follows...
  • Pins 1 & 5 - Voltage source (5V or 12V depending on what you ordered)
  • Pins 2 & 6 - Ground for Green
  • Pins 3 & 7 - Ground for Red
  • Pins 4 & 8 - Ground for Blue

If you ordered LEDs for use with a PACLED64 the color coding is as follows...
  • White - Voltage source
  • Green - Ground for Green
  • Red - Ground for Red
  • Blue - Ground for Blue

When using NephRings with under mounted dust washers, you will have to add washers (that are slightly thicker than your dust washer) to your mounting screws between your joystick base and NephRing. This will allow your dust washer to move freely when moving your joystick. This is not necessary, however, for factory control panels that already have under mounted dust washers (Pacman, Galaga, etc.)

When using NephRings with joysticks that are mounted in a recess, you will also have to make the recess in your control panel large enough to fit the LEDs in next to the NephRing.

More tech info and installation pics coming...
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 11:22:20 am by Nephasth »

darkSSide

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 08:19:48 pm
  • I want to make my own money!
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 12:33:40 am »
Interesting.....

Sent from my Atari 2600

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 02:16:46 am »
These rock, bro! I'm glad you made them a reality.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

jmike

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2023, 05:14:03 am
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 07:15:02 am »
 :applaud: :applaud:
                 Those look great Nephasth. I'll figure out what I need this weekend and get back to you.

:cheers:

brad808

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 22, 2023, 08:18:15 pm
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 08:52:02 am »
These look awesome man, just wanted to say great job!

Sent from my Nexus 4

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:20:30 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 10:00:22 am »
Im down for 1, I'll have to look up her stick specifics, but I need 1 in pink fo sho.  :applaud:
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Nephasth

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 11:34:43 am »
Thanks guys! :)

Added some more info and some pics of the LED harnesses.

ebarlow99

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 01:26:54 pm »
very nice!!! will be placing order soon!!

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2013, 06:52:30 pm
  • -Banned-
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 05:59:20 pm »
Awww, Nephrings, how cute!
-Banned-

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 11:19:04 pm »
Neph, I love it! PM Sent!   :applaud:

I wish I had more to order immediately, but I still don't know the joysticks I'm gonna use for my next big project. I will probably be getting 4 down the road, as I fell in love with the glowing goodness on your beast control panels.

Right now, I fortunately do want to upgrade the Vigolix- 1 from a cheap no name joystick to a JLF. I sent in my order, and look forward to making the vigolix shine a lovely red color.

Aww, this is pure awesomeness. I am pumped.  :notworthy:

darkSSide

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 08:19:48 pm
  • I want to make my own money!
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 04:42:10 am »
Just thought about something. How about one for a spinner?

Nephasth

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 10:56:24 am »
Just thought about something. How about one for a spinner?

Just need the dimensions of the spinner's mounting plate and hole pattern. Shoot me a PM if you want one. :)

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2017, 10:42:25 pm
  • Shut your noise tube filthy Taco Human!
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 11:05:58 pm »
I am just now seeing these for the first time.  Very cool!  I am eventually going to redo the control panel on the Abduction and will more than likely try to incorporate these when I do!  Well done!   :cheers:

TopJimmyCooks

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2013, 11:45:42 pm »
wires will not be color coded.

That's what I'm talking about.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2013, 12:37:59 am »
When windows 8 goes to sleep, will the power supply cut power to periphials? So if I wire these LEDs to power supply, when the computer goes to sleep because no one is playing, the LEDs turn off?

If that be the case, I'll definitely take a set.

You should make a set for buttons! Just make a large plastic plate to go around/support buttons and secure plate to control panel. The plastic will support buttons, and panel has holes cut out to expose "rings". You could do common layouts like 6 button straight, curved, and 7 button new geo curved.

Nephasth

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2013, 07:14:57 am »
When windows 8 goes to sleep, will the power supply cut power to periphials? So if I wire these LEDs to power supply, when the computer goes to sleep because no one is playing, the LEDs turn off?

I don't know, I've never used windows 8.

You should make a set for buttons! Just make a large plastic plate to go around/support buttons and secure plate to control panel. The plastic will support buttons, and panel has holes cut out to expose "rings". You could do common layouts like 6 button straight, curved, and 7 button new geo curved.

http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/en/il-translucent-buttons/809-clear-il-translucent-pushbutton-psl-l-0855742002757.html
And
http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/en/button-leds/100-il-lumination-rgb-5vdc-led-0855742001002.html

Is probably as close as you're going to get.

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2017, 10:42:25 pm
  • Shut your noise tube filthy Taco Human!
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2013, 08:05:38 am »

If that be the case, I'll definitely take a set.

Depends on how you wire your LED's for one.  Secondly, I dont think many use the power management on their CAB's.  I know I dont.  If it isnt being played for any length of time, it is in attract mode, if longer, it is off.

jmike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2013, 09:47:40 am »
Hey Nephasth
                    still trying to decide what colors to get  :banghead:
I'm leaning towards hard wired blue for a bartop I'm planning. I'm using happ joysticks.

Nephasth

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2013, 09:58:29 am »
Hey Nephasth
                    still trying to decide what colors to get  :banghead:
I'm leaning towards hard wired blue for a bartop I'm planning. I'm using happ joysticks.

Well, all the LEDs are RGB. So you'll be able to hardwire any of the 7 above colors yourself and decide what looks best. It's if you specifically want only single color LEDs that I'll have to special order them. Or I can hardwire the RGB LEDs on a case by case basis to be single color if you don't want to tie up any unused ground wires.

jmike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2013, 07:39:50 am »
Cool. I'll take two.

PM sent with details.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 07:41:42 am by jmike »

Nephasth

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2013, 01:41:08 pm »
14 left available in the first run.

Nephasth

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2013, 05:49:30 am »
Deadline to get in on this first batch is Monday, July 8th. Next batch likely won't be ran until Aug-Sept. :cheers:

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2013, 10:49:15 am »
Looking forward to my order!!!
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Nephasth

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2013, 11:31:29 pm »
Closing on orders tomorrow. All orders placed by then will be sent off to the laser cutter on Tuesday. :cheers:

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2013, 08:27:46 am »
Closing on orders tomorrow. All orders placed by then will be sent off to the laser cutter on Tuesday. :cheers:

PMed!

CoryBee

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 21, 2023, 07:12:25 pm
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2013, 03:59:09 pm »
Just saw this in your signature...... :applaud:

Nephasth

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2013, 02:13:08 pm »
Here's a video showcasing the LED Controller I offer with these. It shows the colors, animations, and speed you can select with this 3 button in-harness controller.

However, I won't be able to do another run of NephRings for a while. Something has come up, and after this first run, it may be a few months or more before I can make anymore. I'll let everyone know when these are back on the table.

jmike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2013, 06:17:59 pm »
Sweet!!!
 What's the price on these LED controllers?

Nephasth

« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2013, 06:22:40 pm »
$5. Only available in 12V.

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2013, 10:41:19 pm »
Hey clean up your work area before you video, show some professionalism.. :lol

JK, sweet setup man....missed first run, will catch you round 2....MK9 rig in the the works....

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2013, 03:32:17 pm »
Product received. Thank you!

jmike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2013, 10:27:10 pm »
Didn't know they were being sent out already.

Looking forward to receiving my order.

Nephasth

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2013, 10:32:06 pm »
Those with parts on hand have shipped out already. Yours and Malenko's were delayed slightly due to extra parts ordered and additional customization. All the parts needed were received recently, and both of yours will be built soon. Expect a PM from me in the coming days for more details on your orders.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2013, 09:36:20 am »
To say that I am not in a rush is an understatement. Work on jmikes first  :cheers:

jmike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2013, 12:11:50 pm »
To say that I am not in a rush is an understatement. Work on jmikes first  :cheers:

no rush here either. Still working out a design for another bartop.

TKW4rr10r

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2017, 01:10:01 pm
  • Oh no, he's holding power tools!
    • What I'm selling / looking for:
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2013, 07:00:18 pm »
Those with parts on hand have shipped out already. Yours and Malenko's were delayed slightly due to extra parts ordered and additional customization. All the parts needed were received recently, and both of yours will be built soon. Expect a PM from me in the coming days for more details on your orders.

Got mine a couple days ago! Looks awesome :cheers:  Already installed, but still have some finishing touches on the project this is going on. As soon as it's ready I'll do a full post and include some shots/video of the ring in action w/ the in-line controller.

Future Projects: Galaxian Anniversary, Mario VS DK, Rebirth
What I'm selling / looking for

Nephasth

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2013, 03:09:52 pm »
Got mine a couple days ago! Looks awesome :cheers:  Already installed, but still have some finishing touches on the project this is going on. As soon as it's ready I'll do a full post and include some shots/video of the ring in action w/ the in-line controller.

Glad everything made it to you safely! Looking forward to seeing some installed shots! :cheers:

TKW4rr10r

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2017, 01:10:01 pm
  • Oh no, he's holding power tools!
    • What I'm selling / looking for:
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2013, 06:25:43 am »
Glad everything made it to you safely! Looking forward to seeing some installed shots! :cheers:

Here are some shots from my completed build. Thought only right to post them here as well, so you guys can see another finished install:
I only have my GS2 for photos at the moment, so I'll update with a better camera and hopefully some video soon. In short, it looks AMAZING and will be adding these to other projects going forward. I especially like the fading animation option - it cycles though all the possible colors as your playing and gives the cabinet a very nice effect.

Future Projects: Galaxian Anniversary, Mario VS DK, Rebirth
What I'm selling / looking for