Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Raspberry Pi vs a 60 in 1 for a Cocktail Cabinet  (Read 33507 times)

mcseforsale

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 18, 2023, 08:49:34 am
  • Creepy Mario Dude
Re: Raspberry Pi vs a 60 in 1 for a Cocktail Cabinet
« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2013, 11:05:51 pm »
Enough with the leg-lifting contest and let's get back to the OT.  So, more info on the devices at hand.   :cheers:

AJ

CoryBee

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 21, 2023, 07:12:25 pm
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2013, 11:30:27 pm »
Just ordered one of these for my laptop. Can't beat 18 monies for an ssd big enough for an operating system and a few vital programs.

EBAY

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 18, 2023, 08:49:34 am
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2013, 11:42:08 pm »
That thing's gonna boot dog-ass slow.

YMMV

AJ

Just ordered one of these for my laptop. Can't beat 18 monies for an ssd big enough for an operating system and a few vital programs.

EBAY

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2013, 12:49:37 am »
why?

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2013, 12:55:43 am »
why?

Simply because the read speed is slower than a regular HDD, and bootup is a demanding time.

I don't think it should be too bad. I used something similiar on my SNES mod.

http://dx.com/p/sdhc-sd-card-to-sata-solid-state-hard-drive-22597

It only gets 10mb/sec, and boots as fast as any other XP machine. The little guy Cory got looks to be 6mb/sec, but for the price maybe adding another 30 seconds to the boot time isn't too bad of a deal.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 12:57:24 am by Vigo »

twistedsymphony

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 11:13:51 pm
  • Play stupid games... win stupid prizes.
    • solid-orange.com
    • CollectorsEdition.org
« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2013, 09:20:06 am »
I always thought one of the big selling points of SSDs was FASTER boot times because there no time cost for accessing the data?  ???

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #86 on: June 21, 2013, 10:11:06 am »
I always thought one of the big selling points of SSDs was FASTER boot times because there no time cost for accessing the data?  ???

I have an SSD in my 5 year old system and it is about 5 or 6 seconds from the boot menu (where I pick Vista or 7) to the fully loaded desktop.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2013, 10:15:02 am »
Well, there is a major difference between a real SSD and these kind of mini SSDs. These guys pretty much are SD cards with a SATA port. A real SSD will rank a read speed probably around 100-500mb/sec. These little guys are 5-10 mb/sec.

And yeah, they don't have to "spin-up", so the initial read speed is always quicker on a SSD.

Maximus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2017, 05:32:05 pm
  • Plans are for fools!!!!
    • Arcade Icons
« Reply #88 on: June 21, 2013, 10:16:03 am »
All SSDs are not the same. Access speeds differ vastly and you have to see if they are optimized for fast random reads (lots of little files) or fast long read (transfer of large files) same goes for SD Cards.  You want fast random reads for OS boot with as many gb/sec as you can afford.

The drive you pictured is 6gb/sec not mb it will be good and fast enough

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #89 on: June 21, 2013, 10:19:10 am »
The drive you pictured is 6gb/sec not mb it will be good and fast enough

Oops! Massive read fail. :banghead:

Yeah, that thing is gonna cruise.   :cheers:

sharpfork

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2023, 12:43:42 pm
    • KADE
« Reply #90 on: June 21, 2013, 10:23:23 am »
Well a quick check on google shopping shows that you can get a 64GB SSD for $14. That is cheaper than an 8 GB USB stick at Walgreens.

I searched google and ebay and was not able to find a 64GB SSD for $14.  I want to convert one to IDE100 for a Coinops OG/original xBox so please provide sources for this price if they can be found. 

While we are going off on an SSD tangent under the "no moving parts" idea of the OP... I made a nice little 8gig IDE SSD out of a the 8GB version of this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313224 + something like this http://dx.com/p/compactflash-cf-card-to-ide-hard-disk-adapter-card-ide-40-10309 .   I get about 40 MB/s read on it and it boots an xBox to emu game selection in ~10 seconds.
I have a SATA SSD in my MAME PC and it boots to windows 7 in about the same time.

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2017, 10:42:25 pm
  • Shut your noise tube filthy Taco Human!
« Reply #91 on: June 23, 2013, 12:28:32 pm »
While I can appreciate the input on different means of creating a solid state cabinet, I think the point of this thread keeps getting missed by a few.  Yes I know we can achieve much better results by putting a pc in a cab, and can even get to the point that we are 95% solid state (you have to have an exhaust fan somewhere), we are talking about reinventing the jamma board here.  A single board blug and play MAME solution.

There is an obvious allure to the Jamma board.  Slap it into the cab, wire it up and the cab functions.  The problem is, the emulation is terrible, the games are limited, and you cannot modify the interface.  With that said, I am trying to find a better solution.  While most of us hobbyests wont use something like this, I have need for something like this for a friends cab I am building, I bet there are a lot of others that would go jamma that would benefit from this.   There will obviously need to be an iPac involved, but with the right board, and a well tweaked load, this could be a very viable solution to a 100 in 1 cab or so that just plays older games like the Jamma.

The BB comes in tomorrow or Tuesday.  I post when it does.

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2021, 12:42:56 pm
  • Gaming for a better future!
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #92 on: June 24, 2013, 07:11:06 am »
While I can appreciate the input on different means of creating a solid state cabinet, I think the point of this thread keeps getting missed by a few.  Yes I know we can achieve much better results by putting a pc in a cab, and can even get to the point that we are 95% solid state (you have to have an exhaust fan somewhere), we are talking about reinventing the jamma board here.  A single board blug and play MAME solution.

There is an obvious allure to the Jamma board.  Slap it into the cab, wire it up and the cab functions.  The problem is, the emulation is terrible, the games are limited, and you cannot modify the interface.  With that said, I am trying to find a better solution.  While most of us hobbyests wont use something like this, I have need for something like this for a friends cab I am building, I bet there are a lot of others that would go jamma that would benefit from this.   There will obviously need to be an iPac involved, but with the right board, and a well tweaked load, this could be a very viable solution to a 100 in 1 cab or so that just plays older games like the Jamma.

The BB comes in tomorrow or Tuesday.  I post when it does.

There are some nice mini intel/AMD ITX systems with no moving parts that would fill this void well.  Price would be a little higher than the RaspberryPi but would still work well IMO.

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: June 24, 2013, 08:34:12 am »
There are some nice mini intel/AMD ITX systems with no moving parts that would fill this void well.  Price would be a little higher than the RaspberryPi but would still work well IMO.

Funny you mention that, I am spec'ing out a media center right now with an ITX motherboard and case.  Gonna do something similar to the LifeHacker article that was out last August.  I have a rooted AppleTV delivering all of my content from an NAS drive, but it chokes on some of the larger content.  Plus with this setup, I will be able to launch some games and other programs from the box too.  Those ITX form factors are nice and small, easy to hide. 

Maximus

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Icons
« Reply #94 on: June 24, 2013, 08:57:51 am »
Also for delivering locally stored content check out Plex.  It's the best media solution I've used and has apps on all the major platforms including Roku.

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: June 24, 2013, 09:01:33 am »
Yes, I have messed with Plex, but unless something has changed since I gave it a go a couple of years back, it requires a computer to be on to act as a server.  I like being able to just hang a drive out on the network and letting the device (currently the ATV) stream from it.

Maximus

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Icons
« Reply #96 on: June 24, 2013, 10:00:59 am »
Gotcha. Yeah you still need to have a PC running the server.  I keep one on downstairs all the time also running rss feeds for torrents of TV shows. When they download they dump straight into the Plex folder and show up on the apps automatically, very wife friendly.  I even have my mum in the UK streaming my Plex server to her tablet so she can watch our movies and shows easily.

Rigby

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2014, 09:40:59 am
  • I am good at liking video games
« Reply #97 on: June 24, 2013, 10:45:30 am »
Media Center is something the Raspberry Pi does very well.  I'm not a fan of the XBMC GUI but as a media player, the Raspberry Pi is excellent.

Not all file formats & codecs are supported, but I haven't yet thrown anything at it that it could not play.  (I don't have any WMV files, for example.)

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: June 24, 2013, 10:50:43 am »
Media Center is something the Raspberry Pi does very well.  I'm not a fan of the XBMC GUI but as a media player, the Raspberry Pi is excellent.

Not all file formats & codecs are supported, but I haven't yet thrown anything at it that it could not play.  (I don't have any WMV files, for example.)

To each their own I suppose.  I have been using XBMC for years and find it to be my preferred option.  The range of codec support, ability to customize the hell out of it, as well as the ability to launch applications (I plan on putting MAME and a few other games on my media center) really seal the deal for me.  One menu to rule them all!

Rigby

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2014, 09:40:59 am
  • I am good at liking video games
« Reply #99 on: June 24, 2013, 11:07:20 am »
I was speaking of XBMC, and while I don't like the UI, it is an excellent media player.

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: June 24, 2013, 11:08:31 am »
Have you tried any other skins?  It is completely customizable, and not just from a visual standpoint.  A lot of the skins completely change how it flows.

DHTech

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2014, 03:48:36 pm
  • Arcade Flashback
    • Arcade Flashback - Hand Made Custom Arcade Machines UK
« Reply #101 on: June 24, 2013, 01:36:06 pm »
The Pi as an XBMC player is good, but a word of advice, only use the default skin, the processor is not up to any of the other skins, makes it painfully slow to use.

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: June 26, 2013, 02:42:24 pm »
Finally got the board in today.  I know these things are supposed to be small, but wow.  For some reason I didnt realize these and the Pi's were so damned tiny!  Very cool.  Gonna try to get a distro going later on today and hopefully some flavor of MAME if I can manage it, just to get a first impression.

sharpfork

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2023, 12:43:42 pm
    • KADE
« Reply #103 on: June 26, 2013, 03:10:55 pm »
Nice little board...

Is that a HDMI -> VGA conversion cable I see on your desk?  Do you plan on using it with the BBB?

I just got my OUYA yesterday to experiment with.  One test will be seeing if it can be the brain of a cab.

Maximus

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Icons
« Reply #104 on: June 26, 2013, 03:13:59 pm »
Cool.

Been playing with RetroArch on Android and it's much better.  I pulled together nearly all of the 60 standard roms you'd find on the other boards to try and build a clone set up.

Now I have to see if I can launch roms via a script, that way I can piece together a simple front end.

lordnacho

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 21, 2023, 07:38:14 pm
« Reply #105 on: June 26, 2013, 03:20:50 pm »
Following.  I have a raspi that is acting as a paper weight.  Have tried a few ideas like xbmc and as a picture frame, but just not enough horsepower on it.
Installed pimame, but haven't tried it yet.

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2015, 10:19:10 pm
« Reply #106 on: June 26, 2013, 05:01:08 pm »
Cool.

Been playing with RetroArch on Android and it's much better.  I pulled together nearly all of the 60 standard roms you'd find on the other boards to try and build a clone set up.

Now I have to see if I can launch roms via a script, that way I can piece together a simple front end.

I haven't tinkered with android in a while but you would obviously need root and a working terminal emulator for this.  According to some quick searches i've seen, the android version is still using libretro with the cores seperate so there might be a way of using your own commands.

The rest of the subject would probably be better off for squarepusher to answer. You should ask him on the retroarch forums.

Maximus

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Icons
« Reply #107 on: June 27, 2013, 09:21:54 pm »
All my bits have arrived now so if I get time tonight ill have a play

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2021, 08:46:34 am
« Reply #108 on: June 27, 2013, 10:39:53 pm »

EBAY

Wow 18 monies for a 320 gb drive...  I paid 250 monies for a 256gb drive for one of my intel nuc's only 6 months back...  BTW these mSATA drives smoke most of the drives out there...  Crazy Fast!

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #109 on: June 27, 2013, 11:06:48 pm »
Wow 18 monies for a 320 gb drive...  I paid 250 monies for a 256gb drive for one of my intel nuc's only 6 months back...  BTW these mSATA drives smoke most of the drives out there...  Crazy Fast!

Joking right?

It is a 32gb drive :D

:cheers:

But yea, from what I have heard they are pretty fast.

Maximus

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Icons
« Reply #110 on: June 28, 2013, 12:39:56 am »
Played with the Android gear tonight, made a short 4 min video of it but my internet connection is acting up so finding it hard to get it up to YouTube.

Anyhooo

Overall very very good. The Kade is super easy to flash between the different profiles that it comes with in the software. Android recognized PS3 controller, USB HID Joystick and HID Generic Keyboard profiles with no problems. I did have a small issue in RetroArch where I had mapped the Kade PS3 Dpad to the movement keys, it detected the pad properly in setup, but then when I ran Mame for some reason the movement didn't work. I think that's more a RetroArch issue rather than a Kade issue.

I'm working with the standard list of ROMS that you would see on your typical 60 game board and so far they all look great on the Android stick with nice crisp emulation and snappy input, a better emulation than the boards as the sound is better. Add to that the fact that you can add your choice of games AND RetroArch is a multi-platform emulator bundle and you have yourself something far more attractive than the generic 60 board. I've only tried one of the other emulation cores so far, the PSX one and it ran Crash Bandicoot: Warped and Parappa the Rapper very nicely from BIN files.

So far so good, now I have to work out that DPad mapping issue and work on some kind of front end, but overall this is far superior for a zero-moving-parts solution that could potentially run on rechargeable batteries, very attractive for a headless box, although admittidly it's more spendy than the 60 board.

Kade inc shipping $32
Android Stick - $50-$100 depending on choice of device and storage.
HDMI-VGA Adapter - $8
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 01:09:28 am by Maximus »

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #111 on: June 28, 2013, 12:44:29 am »
Great work so far.  Following your work closely. 60 in 1 need a good replacement and this looks great. :applaud:

Maximus

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Icons
« Reply #112 on: June 28, 2013, 01:26:50 am »
Finally the video uploaded

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #113 on: June 28, 2013, 01:46:37 am »
Im sorry, I cant understand a word you are saying with that accent ... :-)

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #114 on: June 28, 2013, 02:23:47 am »
YEA!!!  :soapbox:

GO BACK TO ALL THOSE PLACES YOUR ACCENT CAME FROM!!!!

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2021, 08:46:34 am
« Reply #115 on: June 28, 2013, 05:06:24 am »
what that artifacts on the bottom of the screen when you playing games?

Maximus

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Icons
Re: Re: Raspberry Pi vs a 60 in 1 for a Cocktail Cabinet
« Reply #116 on: June 28, 2013, 09:03:14 am »

what artifacts?

Shut yer cock holsters

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #117 on: June 28, 2013, 11:59:57 am »

what artifacts?

Shut yer cock holsters

« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 12:06:01 pm by jdbailey1206 »

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #118 on: June 28, 2013, 12:19:18 pm »

My guess is MAME-related onscreen text.

Maximus

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Icons
« Reply #119 on: June 28, 2013, 12:32:19 pm »

I think you are seeing the on-screen overlay for touchscreens, you can turn it off.