Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: BYOAC Needs a Karma/Rep System  (Read 50574 times)

Nephasth

• Trade Count: (0)
BYOAC Needs a Karma/Rep System
« on: June 13, 2013, 10:56:14 am »
Yes. Yes, it does.

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
Re: BYOAC Needs a Karma/Rep System
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 10:59:47 am »
Let's fix the Wiki system/access first.  Or else PL1 may stroke out.  :))

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:04:41 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 11:02:30 am »
Rep for Hoopz for #2.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Rigby

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2014, 09:40:59 am
  • I am good at liking video games
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 11:18:11 am »
http://reddit.com/r/cade/ has karma, and too few visitors.

Nephasth

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 11:21:41 am »
http://reddit.com/r/cade/ has karma, and too few visitors.

KLOV has a rep system, Pinside has Karma, and the Hyperspin forums have a "Thanks" system. r/cade has a horrible layout, no wonder it doesn't have many visitors.

Rigby

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 11:49:25 am »
r/cade has a horrible layout, no wonder it doesn't have many visitors.

If that had any weight, all of reddit would be a ghost town, but it is most definitely not.  /r/cade is just the new guy, and uptake is always slow in a community as small as ours.

I don't know why threaded message boards aren't more popular.  Reddit is not perfect, I'll grant you, but it has a lot of conversational features that this site does not.  Discourse actually looks like it's going to be a very, very good discussion system, once it's released.  You can get the code for it now, and host it yourself now, but that would be a lot to deal with for someone that isn't familiar with hosting Ruby apps. 

The monolithic, new posts always go on the bottom style that nearly every single discussion forum uses is really not ideal when you're replying or there are multiple threads of conversation within a thread.  Reddit doesn't do it that way, and therefore it has some value.  You can turn off the subreddit styles if you like, and get the vanilla reddit experience if that's more to your liking.  Each subreddit can have its own wiki and the admins can control access to it as well.  Reddit has value, and it's free.  You won't earn ad revenue, but it doesn't cost anything either.  Imgur.com and youtube.com are free so image & video hosting are not an issue.  There is no file repository, but there are plenty of online filesharing services, a lot of which are free or close enough that it does not matter.

You might try creating your own subreddit and then style it up however you like.  Maybe you won't like it, but at the very least you might learn something, and that's never wasted effort.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:47:47 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 11:51:35 am »
I dunno how Karma would work, Im sure 404 and XuiceBox would -fu me endlessly I only say that because I would totally do the same thing to them.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Nephasth

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 12:04:10 pm »
I dunno how Karma would work, Im sure 404 and XuiceBox would -fu me endlessly I only say that because I would totally do the same thing to them.

It'd balance out. ;D

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2015, 10:19:10 pm
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 12:06:48 pm »

Yeah, You're not trolling at all.  ::)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 12:07:11 pm »
Anyway back to some real adult conversation.

I've administered a number of forums over the years and the karma systems always lead to more trouble than they are worth. Generally they just create small e-kliqs/gangs of guys that negative rep just about anything that their buddies give negative rep to and create elitist groups.

The other half of the equation tends to lead to guys that get pissed off because they were negatively rep'd and stir even more trouble.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 12:11:12 pm »

It'd balance out. ;D

I've administered a number of forums over the years and the karma systems always lead to more trouble than they are worth. Generally they just create small e-kliqs/gangs of guys that negative rep just about anything that their buddies give negative rep to and create elitist groups.

The other half of the equation tends to lead to guys that get pissed off because they were negatively rep'd and stir even more trouble.

Proved my point before i could even finish posting about it.  :laugh2:

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 04:32:11 pm
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 12:12:10 pm »
Wait, that +24 under my name isn't my Karma? Well, I guess that explains how Malenko made it to a +45.  >:D

Nephasth

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 12:12:44 pm »

Since we're all adults*, maybe it could be only a positive support system. So everyone gets their participation trophies, and no one gets their feelings hurt.  :'( :hissy: :'(

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 12:13:19 pm »
Wait, that +24 under my name isn't my Karma? Well, I guess that explains how Malenko made it to a +45.  >:D

lol, yeah I'm a great buyer/seller I'm just also a ---tallywhacker---.

Yeah, You're not trolling at all.  ::)
Lighten up Francis.

Rigby

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2013, 12:16:14 pm »

That happens.  Reddit as a whole somehow escaped this, at least on a large scale.  Most subreddits have tiny wee baby fights over stupid things from time to time, but those discussions usually die quickly; judicious use of the "ban" feature can squelch that stuff pretty effectively.

Rigby

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2013, 12:19:54 pm »

at least you're aware of it.  a lot of folks i know are ---punks--- and think it's everyone else that has the problem.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2013, 12:21:35 pm »

at least you're aware of it.  a lot of folks i know are ---punks--- and think it's everyone else that has the problem.

...and you keep the word count down. ;D

Since we're all adults*, maybe it could be only a positive support system. So everyone gets their participation trophies, and no one gets their feelings hurt.  :'( :hissy: :'(

How about everybody gets 3 yellow squares Under their name? If they are super special they can get purple stars.

Nephasth

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2013, 12:22:51 pm »
How about everybody gets 3 yellow squares Under their name? If they are super special they can get purple stars.

Holy crap! We DO have a rep system! :lol

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2013, 12:24:24 pm »

Honestly I'm not that bad, I joke around A LOT, maybe too much. 404 thinks everything I type is super srs so he hates me, and Im ok with that, you cant please everyone. Like if I typed 404: Funny not Found he wouldnt get it and think I was calling him a Nazi or something. I do like the fact he turned the word filter off though, something Neph needs to do, what a tallywhacker lol

Nephasth

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2013, 12:27:22 pm »
something Neph needs to do, what a tallywhacker lol

I hear ya, that guy is a ---smurfing--- --missioncontrol--!

Rigby

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2013, 12:29:42 pm »

I always viewed that as a rank, not as anything karmic.  Folks that aren't newbies and aren't moderators get three yellows.  Is that not right, or are you saying that's enough that we're all equal?

I'm ok with a karma statistic per-post, but not really per-account.  At least not in a way that's visible to everyone else.  As soon as the score is visible, it becomes a game, and increasing your score while decreasing everyone else's become a source of motivation, when motivations should be altruistic, at least primarily.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 12:35:45 pm by Rigby »

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2013, 12:39:03 pm »
Honestly I'm not that bad, I joke around A LOT, maybe too much. 404 thinks everything I type is super srs so he hates me, and Im ok with that, you cant please everyone. Like if I typed 404: Funny not Found he wouldnt get it and think I was calling him a Nazi or something. I do like the fact he turned the word filter off though, something Neph needs to do, what a tallywhacker lol

Yeah, this is coming from the same guy who bombarded my pm inbox about a dozen private messages with such phrases as "YOU'RE ACTING LIKE A TOTAL P()SSY"  :laugh2:
You've literally proven my point with every post you make.

anyway, have your fun.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2013, 12:59:35 pm »

I always viewed that as a rank, not as anything karmic.  Folks that aren't newbies and aren't moderators get three yellows.  Is that not right, or are you saying that's enough that we're all equal?

I'm mostly joking because we all do have a rank, but it is pretty meaningless. The purple stars are, as I understand, just for doing wiki work. The wiki is pretty broken right now, so there is little that can be done there until that gets fixed up.

I would love to see a working rank system. Something with a number of levels. Might be a good indicator for noobs to see experience level (although nothing will be perfect). It would also be cool to have our projects integrated into our profile somehow, so you can see who did what without the need for signatures.

And I agree about reps. That is good fun.

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2013, 06:52:30 pm
  • -Banned-
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2013, 03:12:28 pm »
Reddit is so ---smurfing--- backward, I don't know why people use it. Dorks, I guess.

I think the yellow boxes equate to how many posts you have.

'Likes' is a happy, friendly....erm, snoot sucking.....system. The only thing it's sorta good for is when you post something, and people like it instead of wasting post space witha 'yeap'.

There ain't no need for a rep system.
-Banned-

Nephasth

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2013, 03:18:27 pm »

GA has spoken.

spoot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2015, 10:36:18 am
  • Destroyer of electronics
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2013, 03:50:17 pm »
Wouldn't care for a system either tbh.  Eventually one learns who to ignore anyways.   :P

Rigby

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2013, 03:56:42 pm »

GA has spoken.

Yep.  What's 25million unique visitors per month?  Reddit iz teh dumbz

Rigby

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2013, 04:00:20 pm »
[great image of thread abandonment]

if that said "you guys" instead of "this thread" I think it would have been funnier, but as it stands it's a good image.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2013, 05:02:21 pm »
was working didnt see his reply. I like how I "bombarded" him with PMs even though every single PM I sent him other than the first was a reply and after I politely asked him to stop PMing me he continued to do so. So yes, I am as guilty of using vulgar language as he is of being a ---Bad words, bad words, whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when saint censors you?---. His beef with me started because he somehow got the notion I told someone they werent allowed to sell bartop kits because haruman was. Something I never said or implied, even the guy selling them said he and I were cool. But enough of that, when you dig up the past, all you get is dirty.

That being said, I dont think an open Karma/Rep system would work with the sheer number of conflicting personalities on here. Perhaps something where you give people "knowledge points" like sales feedback, linking to the thread, which would allow for moderation if need be. For example a "report feedback" if you got a negative and the link is to you not liking the NRA in the politics and religion section. And with all that Idont think we should have one

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:51:44 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2013, 05:21:07 pm »
Let's fix the Wiki system/access first.  Or else PL1 may stroke out.  :))

:lol  So far it's been striking out instead of stroking out, but I think I'll survive whatever happens when Saint gets time to work on the wiki.  :lol

If we do some kind of Karma system, would it be possible to limit each user account to 1 good/bad/neutral vote/comment per other user account?

Seems like that could reduce the spam factor.

Scott

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2013, 07:16:00 pm »
was working didnt see his reply. I like how I "bombarded" him with PMs even though every single PM I sent him other than the first was a reply and after I politely asked him to stop PMing me he continued to do so. So yes, I am as guilty of using vulgar language as he is of being a ---Bad words, bad words, whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when saint censors you?---. His beef with me started because he somehow got the notion I told someone they werent allowed to sell bartop kits because haruman was. Something I never said or implied, even the guy selling them said he and I were cool. But enough of that, when you dig up the past, all you get is dirty.

That being said, I dont think an open Karma/Rep system would work with the sheer number of conflicting personalities on here. Perhaps something where you give people "knowledge points" like sales feedback, linking to the thread, which would allow for moderation if need be. For example a "report feedback" if you got a negative and the link is to you not liking the NRA in the politics and religion section. And with all that Idont think we should have one

*sigh* I really shouldn't be responding but i just trolls like you tend to lure me back in every time.

Let's set the scenario.

An admitted beta tester for a product sold by a moderator trolls a newbie forum member's post where he sells a competing product.

One of two other posts just like it. Person's FS thread was subsequently trolled two other times after you.

And with that said, I'm all done here.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 07:21:28 pm by 404 »

Nephasth

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2013, 07:26:00 pm »
***Gasp!***

::)

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:07:15 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2013, 08:40:28 pm »
I just signed up on exploding rabbit.  Their setup is a lot like ours but they have a feature to like a post.  Likes seem to translate into some form of a ranking system over there, but I don't think that would be necessary.  The number of likes a person has received isn't displayed under their name.  I think you can also "follow" a person to browse their recent posts more easily.  It's kind of a twitter/facebook combo.  Perhaps those elements could be useful without being decisive. 

Under the avatar list the number of post likes a person has and their number of followers.  Between those two numbers I think it could be useful.  People see Ond or Pixel poking around and notice they have a few thousand followers it's gets a message across that they're doing some cool stuff.  People see PL1 with a few thousand post likes and they know he puts out good poop.  Likes linked to posts, followers linked to users.  No dislike, no DO NOT FOLLOW, keep it positive. 

[edit:  do to no.  Thanks PL1!]

« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 07:12:20 am by Le Chuck »

Nephasth

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2013, 08:42:48 pm »
Whoa! The rare purple stars! :o

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:07:15 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2013, 08:45:14 pm »
Whoa! The rare purple stars! :o

Yeah, I'm an Armenian general...or an astronaut, or something. 

Oh, and why not four stars?  Some folks have five, they're generally mod types, got that, but the four seems to be unpossible.  Why?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:51:44 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2013, 11:17:22 pm »
Under the avatar list the number of post likes a person has and their number of followers.  Between those two numbers I think it could be useful. 
. . .
Likes linked to posts, followers linked to users.  No dislike, no DO NOT FOLLOW, keep it positive.
Sounds like a good system in keeping with the age old wisdom, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

People see PL1 with a few thousand post likes and they know he puts out good poop.
I've been told many times that I am indeed full of something like that:duckhunt

If there's a "doping" scandal, will there be an asterisk by my number?

[/scatalogical humor . . . for now]

Scott

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2013, 08:49:01 am »
And with that said, I'm all done here.
cause smiley faces = super serious! 404 has beef with me, ebarlow doesn't. If someone can figure that out for me, I'd appreciate it.  :dunno

Anyways, lets get our Wiki going strong and worry about the positive energy circle jerk later.

Rigby

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2013, 09:38:01 am »
404 has beef with me, ebarlow doesn't. If someone can figure that out for me, I'd appreciate it.  :dunno

If your beef with 404 concerns you, stop antagonizing him, or stop doing whatever he thinks you're doing to antagonize him.  I like you both and don't see the point of continued discussion on past matters.

[edited for correctness of quotation and general improvementization]
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 09:52:06 am by Rigby »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2013, 09:45:28 am »
If your beef with Malenko concerns you, stop antagonizing him.

I fixed that for you, since I think you were talking to someone else.

Rigby

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2013, 09:50:00 am »
I was talking to you, but I quoted the wrong bit.  Maybe.  I don't know, I'm tired.  I'll edit it out.