Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime Arcade Cabinet - FINISHED  (Read 42163 times)

Maximus

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2017, 05:32:05 pm
  • Plans are for fools!!!!
    • Arcade Icons
Re: Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime Arcade Cabinet
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2013, 01:02:32 pm »
The cabinet art looks beautiful except for that font, it just doesn't fit at all in IMHO. How can you go wrong with pink T-Molding though  ;D

dandro

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 20, 2014, 12:32:46 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • Link To project
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2013, 01:35:28 pm »
The font is plain, but looks like it is the font they used in the video...  Hitchhiker font (harlow) would have been cool.. This is one cool looking cab, can't wait to watch this one...

« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 01:39:42 pm by dandro »

Sjaak

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 03:32:16 am
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2013, 07:40:49 am »
How can you go wrong with pink T-Molding though  ;D

I know :D

The font is plain, but looks like it is the font they used in the video... 

The cabinet art looks beautiful except for that font, it just doesn't fit at all in IMHO.

The font used in the artwork is Toronto Subway and the developers are Toronto based, so I guess that's probably the reason.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2013, 08:39:13 pm »
Looks awesome!  :applaud:
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2014, 08:34:43 am »
Finally decided on the sideart. Still working on the marquee. I hope to finish this cabinet before september, so I can bring it to Eurocade.

DarakuTenshi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2022, 11:39:46 am
    • Card Fighters Project
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2014, 09:07:24 am »

I was not a fan of the other side art, but this one is great.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 09:09:37 am by DarakuTenshi »
My past arcade builds - Click to enlarge and get a closer look

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 18, 2023, 08:49:34 am
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2014, 09:41:38 am »
Man, with my savage ADD, I'd forgotten completely about this game.  It looks AWESOME!

AJ

SORHP

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 09:49:39 pm
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2014, 10:06:57 am »
Finally decided on the sideart. Still working on the marquee. I hope to finish this cabinet before september, so I can bring it to Eurocade.

That's IT, I'm building one of these!, I've been anxiously anticipating the game release, I check it every week.  Sjaak, I may be hitting you up soon... are you using an asteroids deluxe cabinet? or did you go with different dimensions?, it seems like it needs to be a bit wider for 2 players, or maybe do a player one on one side, and player 2 on the other side of the cab?

anyway, very cool build, I really want one, i hope the game is epic!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 05:11:17 pm by SORHP »
Games: Super Punch Out, Fix It Felix Jr, DK, DKjr, DK3, PC10, UMK3, TRON, MS-Pac, Pac, Centipede (2x), Robotron, Galaga, Space Invaders, Street Fighter 2 CE, X-Men vs SF, BuckHunter HD, 2X Custom Vewlix, Custom Nintendo VS 3/4, Atomiswave

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2014, 10:17:42 am »
Thant's IT, I'm building one of these!, I've been anxiously anticipating the game release, I check it every week.  Sjaak, I may be hitting you up soon... are you using an asteroids deluxe cabinet? or did you go with different dimensions?, it seems like it needs to be a bit wider for 2 players, or maybe do a player one on one side, and player 2 on the other side of the cab?

I'm not actually using a asteroids deluxe cabinet, but I'm building a new cabinet with the same dimensions. I could be wider, but I like the idea of the 2 players standing close together, because you have to communicate a lot.

I've played the game and without constant communication it's impossible to play. I will be making a slight adjustment to the control panel, because you can play the game with 1 person, but you need an extra button to control the second player.

SORHP

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2014, 04:43:47 pm »
Thant's IT, I'm building one of these!, I've been anxiously anticipating the game release, I check it every week.  Sjaak, I may be hitting you up soon... are you using an asteroids deluxe cabinet? or did you go with different dimensions?, it seems like it needs to be a bit wider for 2 players, or maybe do a player one on one side, and player 2 on the other side of the cab?

I'm not actually using a asteroids deluxe cabinet, but I'm building a new cabinet with the same dimensions. I could be wider, but I like the idea of the 2 players standing close together, because you have to communicate a lot.

I've played the game and without constant communication it's impossible to play. I will be making a slight adjustment to the control panel, because you can play the game with 1 person, but you need an extra button to control the second player.

Just curious, have you played on an asteroids deluxe cab?  I have an AD and the cab play area is so small, I don't know how 2 people can comfortably play a heated battle game being right on top of each other?!?  I don't mean to or even want to break what you are going to pursue here, because I really love the design  :applaud:... but I really feel If I build this cab, I'm going to have to make the cab wider and make some of the metal pieces by hand, and make the control panel out of wood rather than mod an AD metal one, it's just that the cab is just so small, I really feel the comfort level is going to suffer  :banghead:

do you have an amendment on the control panel  to show us possibly for the extra button?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 04:54:07 pm by SORHP »
Games: Super Punch Out, Fix It Felix Jr, DK, DKjr, DK3, PC10, UMK3, TRON, MS-Pac, Pac, Centipede (2x), Robotron, Galaga, Space Invaders, Street Fighter 2 CE, X-Men vs SF, BuckHunter HD, 2X Custom Vewlix, Custom Nintendo VS 3/4, Atomiswave

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 06:07:15 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2014, 06:51:27 pm »
Narrow all the way, only way to do that cabinet.  If the two players aren't jostling eachother the game won't be right, the idea is to be reliant on another person.  You're both playing one game, it should be a bit cramped.  Love the new side art btw, can't wait to play this thing!

SORHP

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2014, 08:00:09 pm »
I guess I get it now, LOVERS in a Dangerously uncomfortable kill the bad guys together while grabbing ass! LOL , maybe I need to start the build as you did, and convince my wife to play with me, I mean play the game with me :)

hopefully I'll actually get to play it soon, just watching the vids of old is getting old :)

awesome sauce, sjaak, I need that art! Ill wait til the game comes out to start on my cab, and let you have the glory till then :) :notworthy: :cheers:

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2014, 05:25:57 am »
I chose this cabinet for a couple of reasons. First I had to be a tribute to the original game, because Lovers is of course based on asteroids. Second reason is that I like the closed and confined space.

I'm sure it's not the perfect width and if someone wanted to build a wider cabinet, I could totally understand.

I've played the game with my wife (on a big screen) and you have to be very comfortable with the other person, because there is a lot of shouting and ordering around. So standing in a cramped space shouldn't be a problem (I hope  :))

And when playing on your own, the cabinet is just fine of course. The addition to the control panel is an extra button for player 1. If you press that, you can send player 2 (your loyal space pet) to a turret, shield or super laser using the joystick.

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2022, 01:21:47 pm
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2014, 07:15:42 am »

I've played the game with my wife (on a big screen)
wait, the game (or a demo) is available somewhere?

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2014, 07:26:37 am »

SORHP

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2014, 09:08:21 am »
wait, the game (or a demo) is available somewhere?

No, game isn't out yet, but you can play demos every now and then.

http://www.dutchgamegarden.nl/agenda/detail/calendar/event/2013/06/19/local-multiplayer-picnic-1/
http://prime.paxsite.com/pax10

seems they're touring the UK a little with the game, I guess they're trying to build buzz, Im really anxious to play it soon,  it was supposed to be released last year, but they discovered its a bigger game so they continue to develop it, it will be awesome!

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2014, 09:34:38 am »
Sjaak, this is my favorite build of yours... and for context, I think your other builds are awesome.  :cheers: As a wannabe game designer I'm interested in what kind of interaction you have had with the game devs about the cabinet- have they been helpful? What do they think?
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2014, 09:13:37 am »
Sjaak, this is my favorite build of yours... and for context, I think your other builds are awesome.  :cheers: As a wannabe game designer I'm interested in what kind of interaction you have had with the game devs about the cabinet- have they been helpful? What do they think?

I've had contact with one of the developers. They were really amazed and told me that a real cabinet was their dream gameplay scenario. I've discussed some of the gameplay, mostly the control scheme, because that determines the way the control panel will be configured.

They were really helpfull and have provided me with some high res artwork. For the big event (Eurocade) in september I will have a build of the game to run on the cabinet.

mattgold

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 24, 2016, 12:28:05 pm
  • Tinker 'till it's right...
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2014, 09:04:55 pm »
This looks FANTASTIC.

I'm very excited to play a demo - those YouTube videos are too much of a tease.  =)

The *only* thing that throws me off is the off-centered marquee.  Maybe it'll grow on me......

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2017, 08:35:41 am
    • Yvan256
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2014, 10:54:37 pm »
About the marquee, I really think you should use the Toronto Subway font, this "3D effect" title doesn't fit with the style of the game (2D side view) nor the rest of the artwork.  :dunno

brucelee00

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2020, 05:16:36 pm
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2014, 03:35:50 am »
Great job on the side art and marquee I think it came out great!

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2014, 04:46:52 am »
About the marquee, I really think you should use the Toronto Subway font, this "3D effect" title doesn't fit with the style of the game (2D side view) nor the rest of the artwork.  :dunno

The *only* thing that throws me off is the off-centered marquee.  Maybe it'll grow on me......

The font is actually Toronto Subway, but I wanted a similar look to the Asteroids Deluxe cabinet which is also off centered. I don't think it's possible to get the actual logo of the game on a marquee, but suggestions are always welcome

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2014, 05:49:00 am »
Your project just gets better and better.  Awesome.  :applaud:
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

SORHP

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2014, 09:18:12 am »

The font is actually Toronto Subway, but I wanted a similar look to the Asteroids Deluxe cabinet which is also off centered. I don't think it's possible to get the actual logo of the game on a marquee, but suggestions are always welcome

I think the l logo is cool, I think it needs some tweaking, the letters need to be squished up and fattened a little, and I think it needs a little perspective is all :)
I can take a crack at it if you'd like, but I'll need to take a look at the photoshop file :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 09:21:10 am by SORHP »

mattgold

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 24, 2016, 12:28:05 pm
  • Tinker 'till it's right...
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2014, 11:48:40 pm »
Just saw they announced at E3 this will be released for XBOne and Steam.

...new gameplay video was released too:

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2014, 02:56:53 pm »
Just saw they announced at E3 this will be released for XBOne and Steam.

...new gameplay video was released too:

w00t!

Intergalactic Bears are the #1 threat to Lovers in Spacetime!

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2014, 04:21:45 am »
I just finished the artwork on the sides and the control panel.

I have two weeks left to finish the cab, because it's going on display at Eurocade 2014...

SORHP

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2014, 08:09:06 am »
Wow, that looks great!!! So cool... Those colors really shine

I bought another deluxe cab just for this project, but it was so close to working that I couldn't bring myself to convert it. So it's almost fixed, and now I will have 2 AD. I guess I'm giving it to my pop for Christmas .

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2017, 08:35:41 am
    • Yvan256
« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2014, 08:43:56 am »
I can't wait to play this game and this cabinet looks amazing so far. Can't wait to see it once it's completed! You'll record us some video of it at Eurocade 2014, right?

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2014, 02:00:32 pm »
You'll record us some video of it at Eurocade 2014, right?

Of course and I'll also post video of all the other amazing cabinets.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2014, 03:19:38 pm »
That looks fantastic.  Awesome work Sjaak.

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2014, 04:20:49 pm »
I have two weeks left to finish the cab, because it's going on display at Eurocade 2014...
Looking forward to meet you and this cab there!

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
« Reply #72 on: August 31, 2014, 05:28:53 pm »
Very much looking forward to playing Lovers at Bit Bash Chicago next weekend. Wish I could play it on your cab though.  :-\ :cheers:

http://bitbashchicago.com/
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2014, 03:09:34 am »
Looking forward to meet you and this cab there!

Great to meet someone from the forums, are you bringing a cab too? And are you on the VIP list?

Very much looking forward to playing Lovers at Bit Bash Chicago next weekend. Wish I could play it on your cab though.  :-\ :cheers:

http://bitbashchicago.com/

Thanks, make sure to bring someone you really know, because there will be a lot of shouting when you're playing this...

EMDB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2023, 09:18:51 am
  • Project RetroCade
« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2014, 03:58:40 am »
Great to meet someone from the forums, are you bringing a cab too? And are you on the VIP list?
I'm thinking about visiting Eurocade this year too. Which day do you thing is the best?

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2014, 04:02:02 am »
I'm thinking about visiting Eurocade this year too. Which day do you thing is the best?

I think friday would be best, because saturday and sunday are going to be very busy...

Pinfritz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2024, 08:59:37 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2014, 06:52:30 am »
Woooow...really good idea  :cheers: :applaud:

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
« Reply #77 on: September 02, 2014, 04:00:08 am »
Not this year, it was really last minute that I was even able to visit. Next year I'll plan things ahead and perhaps bring a cab with me as well :-)

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2014, 12:03:09 pm »
I have seen the cabinet in person and the execution and the craftmanship is excellent. Really really cool.
Also nice to have met someone from the forum too :-)

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: September 17, 2014, 02:14:58 pm »
Also nice to have met someone from the forum too :-)

And great to meet you, always nice to have a face with a name  :D

Playing the game with my wife at Eurocade last weekend.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 02:17:38 pm by Sjaak »