Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Viva Nonno experts...enter  (Read 10862 times)

isamu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 08:15:07 pm
  • I'm a llama!
Viva Nonno experts...enter
« on: May 24, 2013, 10:41:22 am »
Well guys, I actually fired up Viva Nonno for the first time in like a year :lol:

The good news, is that thanks to UJR and vJoy, I actually got Viva to see all three of my driving instruments(wheel, pedals and shifter) as one controller and it works great!  :applaud:

Couple of quick questions though....

1)How do you map a keyboard key to the shift up/shift down function? I forgot all about how to do this. I want to map shift up as Numpad 6 and Shift down as Numpad 8.

2)This may be something Badmouth or maybe Howard can answer..... is there any way to change the type of machine Viva Nonno thinks you're running on? I noticed in the settings.xml file there's a setting called "system type" and it's set to 0. I'm wondering if this is what changes the type of cabinet from the current upright to the deluxe or even the 50" Sitdown version? I would LOVE to be able to change this to the type of cab Ridge Racer is emulating to the 50" sitdown version, since that way I'd be able to use my shifter as a true H-pattern. There are even button assignments in the ini file representing shifts 1-6. Why did he put this there if there wasn't a way to change it? Hmmmmm......

3)Can anyone tell me if Viva Nonno is coded in D3D or OpenGL? If D3D? Which version? I'm trying to get SweetFX working with it but no luck :(

4)How do you get the games to run in 1080p? Every time I switch to full screen my display changes from 1920x1080 to 1280x720.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:43:52 pm
Re: Viva Nonno experts...enter
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 01:57:44 pm »
Well guys, I actually fired up Viva Nonno for the first time in like a year :lol:

The good news, is that thanks to UJR and vJoy, I actually got Viva to see all three of my driving instruments(wheel, pedals and shifter) as one controller and it works great!  :applaud:

Couple of quick questions though....

1)How do you map a keyboard key to the shift up/shift down function? I forgot all about how to do this. I want to map shift up as Numpad 6 and Shift down as Numpad 8.

2)This may be something Badmouth or maybe Howard can answer..... is there any way to change the type of machine Viva Nonno thinks you're running on? I noticed in the settings.xml file there's a setting called "system type" and it's set to 0. I'm wondering if this is what changes the type of cabinet from the current upright to the deluxe or even the 50" Sitdown version? I would LOVE to be able to change this to the type of cab Ridge Racer is emulating to the 50" sitdown version, since that way I'd be able to use my shifter as a true H-pattern. There are even button assignments in the ini file representing shifts 1-6. Why did he put this there if there wasn't a way to change it? Hmmmmm......

3)Can anyone tell me if Viva Nonno is coded in D3D or OpenGL? If D3D? Which version? I'm trying to get SweetFX working with it but no luck :(

4)How do you get the games to run in 1080p? Every time I switch to full screen my display changes from 1920x1080 to 1280x720.

I don't think there are any Viva Nonno experts, which is a shame.  :lol
Very little info out there.

I'll give more thorough answers if I get a chance to look at it later tonight, but off the top of my head here are some half-ass only partially informative answers:

1) Keyboard mappings are shown in the driving cab info thread and IIRC, I got them from you.  I never could get them working though.
    I'd try using vjoy to have them post as controller button presses and set those buttons to shift in the xml.

2) Dunno, never tried it.  I do know that I wasn't able to get all the roms working, maybe that's why.

3) It's been a long time, but there is a setup screen where you choose the video properties.  I don't remember what all the options were.
    There is probably a clue on that screen.  I think it was just a tab at the top of the emulator.  It's been years since I launched it outside of a front-end.

4) Never tried to run it at 1080 as the highest definition screen I ever had attached was 1440x900.  Does it give a 1080 option?  It might not be possible.
    If it is leaving your desktop at 720, I've got an ahk script to fix that.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 04:31:47 pm »
Honestly, Viva Nonno was never really finished, and didn't work well, so as soon as mame got some of the "racer" games working everybody abandoned it. 

I played with it for maybe a week or two, so I don't really know anything about it. 

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 01:19:44 am »
Cheers guys for the answers! Good lookin' Badmouth  :cheers:

OK a few comments......

1) Keyboard mappings are shown in the driving cab info thread and IIRC, I got them from you.  I never could get them working though.
    I'd try using vjoy to have them post as controller button presses and set those buttons to shift in the xml.

Yeah, I figured out the keys to shift up and down. They are arrow up and arrow down. I mapped my shifter to those keys to act like a sequential shifter and it works well. :)

2) Dunno, never tried it.  I do know that I wasn't able to get all the roms working, maybe that's why.

Hmmm...yeah It's a good question. Like I said the XML settings file has something called system type. I changed it to 2 and then 3 but I don't see any differences. I'll try higher numbers and see what happens. I also find it curious that there's button assignments for shift 1 shift 2 shift 3 shift 4 shift 5 and shift 6. Surely there's a reason for that?

3) It's been a long time, but there is a setup screen where you choose the video properties.  I don't remember what all the options were.
    There is probably a clue on that screen.  I think it was just a tab at the top of the emulator.  It's been years since I launched it outside of a front-end.

As far as number 3 goes, I did some googling and discovered a couple of websites mentioning how Viva Nonno is a "DirectX" based emulator. Then I discovered that it was released sometime in 2002. Putting 2 & 2 together, it appears that the emu is probably running on D3D7 or D3D8. D3D9 was released that same year so there is a chance it's running on that, but I doubt it since common sense would dictate he started working on the emu in 2001 where D3D8 was the defacto API. If it's indeed running in D3D8 I'm wondering why ENB's D3D8>D3D9 converter isn't working and allowing SweetFX to show in Viva Nonno?

4)Never tried to run it at 1080 as the highest definition screen I ever had attached was 1440x900.  Does it give a 1080 option?

Nope....in fact I can't find any resolution related option in the GUI or the settings.xml file. Quite bizarre, really. If you know where one might me please share.

It might not be possible. If it is leaving your desktop at 720, I've got an ahk script to fix that.

That would be great bro! Please upload it.

Honestly, Viva Nonno was never really finished, and didn't work well, so as soon as mame got some of the "racer" games working everybody abandoned it.   

Quite a shame indeed. Don't get me wrong....Rave Racer and Ridge Racer 2 run extremely well in MAME. However it behooves me to point out a couple small benefits I see in Viva Nonno over MAME after using it again last night:

1)The audio. It is much louder and sounds clearer. The car's engine noise is perfectly balanced unlike in MAME, where not only is the whole game's audio volume extremely low, but the car's engine has the lowest sound between all the other sounds in the game versus the announcers' voice and the music. This really is quite bothersome, because I like to hear the car's sound when driving, and in MAME I have to turn the volume in Windows all the way up and then higher on my Yamaha receiver just to hear a good volume of Rave Racer. I'm sincerely hoping Cab revisits the Namco System 22 driver and addresses this issue.

2)As a byproduct of being in MAME, I must say in all honesty the RR games simply don't look as good as in Viva Nonno. Not counting any application of filters like HLSL or SweetFX...I'm talking simply vanilla MAME vs Viva Nonno. Viva Nonno uses hardware accelerated graphics and as a result, the higher resolution textures and things like Mipmapping and Depth Bias make the game quite good looking and sharp. I swear I'll jump for joy once me or someone else figures out how to get SweetFX working! It would be awesome to apply Boulotaur's Arcade CRT effects to the Viva Nonno version of Rave Racer. I bet I could make it look bonkers! :dizzy:

3)Something else I noticed about the two different emulators running Rave Racer...in Viva Nonno, the lighting is quite flat and somewhat drab looking. There doesn't seem to be any dynamic changes to way light casts over the environment. In MAME however, the lighting is different and you will notice how the screen will go from dark to bright particularly when entering and exiting tunnels or passing under bridges.

Maybe one of you can clear this up for me but did the original arcade game exhibit this behavior?  Or is the original game's lighting suppose to be flat with a drabby look all throughout the stage? If the lighting is supposed to be dynamic and change from light to dark the way it's depicted in MAME, then MAME gets points for accuracy. However, if Viva Nonno represents the way the actual game is supposed to look in terms of lighting and colors, then I'm hoping Cab will look into this and see what he can do to make the RR games look more authentic.

Don't get it twisted though folks....I'm **ETERNALLY** grateful to Cab for what he's done with the Namco Sys22 driver, and I'll send my sister over to have his babies in a heartbeat to show my gratitude for giving us the ability to play these wonderful games in MAME. So please don't take it the wrong way Cab, you most certainly  **ARE** the ---smurfing--- man!!!! :cheers:

MartinJames

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2021, 10:10:33 am
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 10:01:43 am »
I have all 3.

1. Mame
2. Viva
3. Twin RR2 Aracde Cab.

By far Mame does this better now. Grab the latest build and a 3.2+ Ivybridge on 7 X64 and its plays flawlessly as jsut as good as the original. It also supports 2 players very shortly :)

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 11:47:49 am »
I have all 3.

1. Mame
2. Viva
3. Twin RR2 Aracde Cab.

By far Mame does this better now. Grab the latest build and a 3.2+ Ivybridge on 7 X64 and its plays flawlessly as jsut as good as the original. It also supports 2 players very shortly :)

yeah i know it runs very good, but what about the strange lighting effect in Rave Racer. Is that actual behavior from the real arcade machine?

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 10:43:49 pm »

4) Never tried to run it at 1080 as the highest definition screen I ever had attached was 1440x900.  Does it give a 1080 option?  It might not be possible.

It appears I've misread this quote...i think what you meant, is if after exiting the emulator it's leaving my desktop unchanged at 1280x720 you've got a hotkey script to fix it. At first I thought you meant if I am launching the emulator at my native res of 1920x1080 and the emulator is changing it to 1280x720, you've got a hotkey script that will keep it from switching to 720p. You *did* mean the former, correct?

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 10:56:31 pm »

It appears I've misread this quote...i think what you meant, is if after exiting the emulator it's leaving my desktop unchanged at 1280x720 you've got a hotkey script to fix it. At first I thought you meant if I am launching the emulator at my native res of 1920x1080 and the emulator is changing it to 1280x720, you've got a hotkey script that will keep it from switching to 720p. You *did* mean the former, correct?

Yeah, if it screws up your desktop resolution then autohotkey can change it back to 1080 after Viva Nonno exits.
They would have no effect on Viva Nonno.

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 01:59:10 am »

Yeah, if it screws up your desktop resolution then autohotkey can change it back to 1080 after Viva Nonno exits.
They would have no effect on Viva Nonno.

OK cool, thanks. It's OK it doesn't prevent it from switching back. I just wish there was a way to get A)SweetFX working and B)A cheat or LUA script that eliminates the music. These 2 things alone is why I'll continue to stick with playing it in MAME.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 09:35:34 am »
or LUA script that eliminates the music.

Blasphemer!  :angry:

I was away over the weekend, so unable to mess around with my Viva Nonno setup.
I'll try to go back over your original questions later this week and see if I can answer any of them better.
It would be nice to pull together all available info into a Viva Nonno guide, but there isn't much out there.

EDIT: copy and paste from official website in case it disappears before I get around to organizing info.
I've never messed around with the older versions before. 
http://vivanonno.vg-network.com/

Last Updated : 2003-01-01
ABOUT "viva nonno" :

"viva nonno" is a namco system 22 emulator for Windows and DirectX.
 Supported games are "RIDGE RACER 2" (Japan-A, Japan-B) and "RAVE RACER" (Japan-A, Japan-B, World-B). ("RIDGE RACER" is currently not supported.)
 To play the game, you need ROM image set.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:
 1GHz CPU, GeForce class VGA and 32MB VRAM.

FEATURES:
 Display (simulated depth-cueing, interlaced display)
 Input Device (analogue pad, keyboard)
 Sound, and Sound Test mode. 

CHANGES :

version 22.0.1 first release
version 22.0.2 minor version up
 the problems about the dialogs, full-screen mode might be fixed.
 the sound emulation was improved.

version 22.0.3 minor version up
 Ridge Racer 2 (Japan-B), Rave Racer (Japan-A, World-B) were supported.

version 22.0.4 now coding.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 11:05:44 am by BadMouth »

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 11:00:23 pm »
or LUA script that eliminates the music.

Blasphemer!  :angry:

Hah!!! Don't get me wrong they're great tunes, but nothing....and I mean NOTHING goes better with Ridge Racer than remixes from:

and a host of other electronic/trance artists.

Anyway I think we need to start a kickstarter to raise funds so we can hire a private detective that will go and find the author of Viva Nanno, and persuade him to get his butt back on this project!  :burgerking:

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 11:09:42 pm »
isamu, your horrible taste in music has made me lose a bit of respect for you. 

Don't you know there are only 4 recognized styles of music?  Hark Rock, Heavy Metal, Elvis Presley and Johnny Cash.  ;)

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 12:37:37 am »
isamu, your horrible taste in music has made me lose a bit of respect for you. 

Don't you know there are only 4 recognized styles of music?  Hark Rock, Heavy Metal, Elvis Presley and Johnny Cash.  ;)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

LOL sorry man, not a JC or Elvis fan. Heavy metal is OK but my favorite genre is Alternative Rock(mainly British), namely from the 80s and 90s. Sorry man but neither Johhny Cash or Elvis can ---fudgesicle--- with the following great bands

Echo and the Bunnymen
New Order
U2
Depeche Mode
The Smiths
TheThe
Electronic
Tears for Fears
Oingo Boingo
Talking Heads
Smashing Pumpkins
Siouxsie and the Banshees

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 02:34:04 am »
I had actually made a rather lengthy post to educate you on the history of modern music after a ridiculous comment that Oingo Boingo is better than any bad, much less Cash and Presley, but I think I found something that sums it up better:

Sorry man, but you asked for it.  :D

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 03:27:01 am »
LOL^^

If it's any consolation I *do* like Walk the Line ;)

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:26:34 am
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 11:12:15 am »
I understand and appreciate the contributions that Elvis and Cash made towards music as a whole - but I can't stand listening to them. 

Getting the right music for a video game is pretty tough too - since my tastes in music changes dramatically with my moods.

That said, I love the Talking Heads.  :D

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2013, 11:36:03 am »
I don't know how you guys keep from falling asleep behind the wheel.  :lame:

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2013, 12:18:40 pm »
I understand and appreciate the contributions that Elvis and Cash made towards music as a whole - but I can't stand listening to them. 

Getting the right music for a video game is pretty tough too - since my tastes in music changes dramatically with my moods.

That said, I love the Talking Heads.  :D

The problem with both artists is their best stuff is NOT the popular songs.  You have to dig into their vast archives to find the real gems.  One piece at a Time and the Boy Named Sue are particularly good for Cash and Momma Liked the Roses by Presley will make you weep, I don't care who you are. 

Metallica's Fuel is good driving music and although I hate to admit it, all of your arena rock as well. 

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:26:34 am
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2013, 12:22:49 pm »
I don't know how you guys keep from falling asleep behind the wheel.  :lame:

When I'm playing driving games, I usually just listen to the in game stuff.  Surround sound and all.  :D

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2013, 12:29:00 pm »
Echo and the Bunnymen
New Order
U2
Depeche Mode
The Smiths
TheThe
Electronic
Tears for Fears
Oingo Boingo
Talking Heads
Smashing Pumpkins

..."One of these things is not like the other"...

No idea how you fit Smashing Pumpkins in with these other groups. They are not British or Electronic or 70-80's. If you are gonna clump them in with Brit groups, they should be sitting around Radiohead, Muse and Blur. Now you have some great 90's - 2000's music. That List of 70's-80's Brit Groups is also sorely lacking Queen and Duran Duran. ;)

I do listen a bit to Tears for Fears, Depeche mode, and New Order. Got some of their vinyl, but I think listening to 80's Brit Electronica nonstop would kill me. That kinda of music is like cinnamon, you gotta mix it in with other stuff or it is vomit inducing.  ;D

Elvis and Cash, they are simply Brilliant. They are incredibly genre crossing as well.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2013, 12:53:02 pm »
U2 kind of skirts the genre as well.  The problem with British music is less about the electronica/synth and more about the pop.  Pop music as we all know, is the enemy. 

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2013, 09:39:32 pm »
Echo and the Bunnymen
New Order
U2
Depeche Mode
The Smiths
TheThe
Electronic
Tears for Fears
Oingo Boingo
Talking Heads
Smashing Pumpkins

..."One of these things is not like the other"...

No idea how you fit Smashing Pumpkins in with these other groups. They are not British or Electronic or 70-80's. If you are gonna clump them in with Brit groups, they should be sitting around Radiohead, Muse and Blur. Now you have some great 90's - 2000's music. That List of 70's-80's Brit Groups is also sorely lacking Queen and Duran Duran. ;)

I do listen a bit to Tears for Fears, Depeche mode, and New Order. Got some of their vinyl, but I think listening to 80's Brit Electronica nonstop would kill me. That kinda of music is like cinnamon, you gotta mix it in with other stuff or it is vomit inducing.  ;D

Guilty as charged on Duran Duran. I've got several if not most of their albums so I don't know what I was thinking. Never was a queen fan but I DO admit I screwed up by also not mentioning Bowie :)

And when I wrote the original post I said *MAINLY* British but not all of them, so I stand by my inclusion of SP in that list. SP is considered alternative rock, and besides, they have gone on record as saying they've been HEAVILY influenced by some of the Brit bands on that list, namely DM and NO. As for Radiohead and Blur, I have a couple Radiohead albums and they're....OK.  Nothing particularly special but they're not bad. Never got into Blur.

Anyway rock music is great. But if you guys haven't gotten into trance music you're missing out:

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2013, 01:23:06 pm »
Never was a queen fan but I DO admit I screwed up by also not mentioning Bowie :)
Bowie is a Legend.  :cheers: His music was awesome going back to the 60's. At this rate, you might as well toss in the Beatles on that list as well.  :D

SP is considered alternative rock, and besides, they have gone on record as saying they've been HEAVILY influenced by some of the Brit bands on that list, namely DM and NO.
Yeah, the pumpkins were an eclectic style band, they also drew equally from Black Sabbath, ELO and Jimi Hendrix. I bet you appreciate NO having Corgan in the song "Turn My Way".

As for Radiohead and Blur, I have a couple Radiohead albums and they're....OK.  Nothing particularly special but they're not bad. Never got into Blur.
You have anything from Kid A Era? I always thought trance ppl like yourself really liked the Kid A era music. That music ended up being remixed a million times.
Radiohead - Idioteque (From Kid A, track 8)