Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Reseal MDF for glossy look  (Read 1585 times)

Texasmame

• No, no. He's in charge here.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2022, 05:28:39 pm
  • Ba, ba, boom!
Reseal MDF for glossy look
« on: August 08, 2013, 05:41:32 pm »
Okay.

I've got a MACH 3 with severe water damage.  The cab is still solid in that the floor of these cabs is about 8" off the ground so the floor and structure of the cab is sound but it looks like hell.   >:D  The "floor" seen here is an enclosure for a one of the two honking fans on the game - not really needed now as it won't be running 16 hours a day, so that section can go if need be.  Still, that floor is even solid!

As seen here:

I'd prefer not to trash/part it out as there are so few of these rolling around still.  So. . .

I got out the power planer and hit a couple of spots.  Worked really well to get it down to an acceptable level.  But, when repainting, it's very obvious it's been repainted. 

As seen here:

I've read everything from thinning out wood glue and applying it, then wet sanding to shellack to bring back the sheen prior to painting.

Suggestions?

« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 05:46:22 pm by Texasmame »

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
Re: Reseal MDF for glossy look
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 10:29:06 pm »
   There is a few different ways to fix that...Me, I would take that side off clean up the edges and use it for a router template for a new piece... But, Fiberglass resin and putty can fix it too, That bubble hump thing on the lower right is water damage, Take a sharp putty knife, and chisel it off keeping it flat with th rest of the cab... Grind it clean with a 36grit rollag disk, dump some resin on it and force it into the cracks with a plastic putty spreader ( Make sure you know how to kick the resin properly or you will have a horrible sticky mess)
Fix the missing chunk with reinforced fibreglass body filler (kitty hair) finish with lightweight body filler keeping it flat as you go...Once the bottom edge is straight and flat again, Force some Resin into to bottom edge to finish. Id use paint stripper not sandpaper before you even start, Scrape off all you can, and neutralize with a wet sponge till clean.

Texasmame

• No, no. He's in charge here.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2022, 05:28:39 pm
  • Ba, ba, boom!
Re: Reseal MDF for glossy look
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 07:58:40 pm »
Thank you but I'm thinking this is waaaaay beyond my skill level.   :'(