Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Easy-Peasy "simple" wall mount idea  (Read 1797 times)

NailBuster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2022, 05:13:25 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Easy-Peasy "simple" wall mount idea
« on: October 30, 2018, 10:31:24 am »
greetings, so here's my current idea...  Its a wall/floating computer desk....I've already ordered it so either it works ok or I'll toss it (its only like $125USD shipped from amazon) and build a 'real' one next year ;)

some thoughts I'm throwing around till it arrives...

need to re-enforce it with glue and some hidden brackets to hold up the panel well against wall.

now, it will hold a 27" monitor 16:9 in the open space, BUT i have an extra 43" 1080p decent tv from my vpin build laying around.  that will fit if i remove the 'shelves' pieces.  The idea here is to wall mount the 43" and put a plexiglass/frame in from that will SPLIT the large tv into 3 areas or more like this:

the bottom corner squares i can have pngs of button layouts for each game and the left/right 'screens' some overlay videos during FrontEnd and gameplay perhaps.

would you do the 24-27" widescreen or fill the entire area with the 43" ... maybe too close, but with overlay i'm assuming I'll have flexibility of size of play area.

bye for now...NailBuster
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 09:11:10 pm by NailBuster »

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
Re: Easy-Peasy "simple" wall mount idea
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 03:43:16 pm »
You will immediately have to replace that middle shelf with something else. It will most likely be melamine on hollow board.  With only 50Lbs loading You'll definitely want some brackets below it.
If you use the 43 and remove the uprights you are going to remove a majority of the strength of the unit and might as well just put have the TV wall mounted and put up a floating shelf.

If I was going to do it I would go with the 2nd option, of the 43" mounted to the wall with the screen split up as described.  I would then build a pedestal unit to sit underneath it.

meltman

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2021, 07:45:27 pm
  • Brilliant!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,158544.0.html
    • My arcade gallery
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 04:42:24 pm »
The idea feels ridiculously close to my cabinet idea that I'm building now.

See "Project REDSHIFT"

NailBuster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2022, 05:13:25 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 11:23:01 am »
You will immediately have to replace that middle shelf with something else. It will most likely be melamine on hollow board.  With only 50Lbs loading You'll definitely want some brackets below it.
If you use the 43 and remove the uprights you are going to remove a majority of the strength of the unit and might as well just put have the TV wall mounted and put up a floating shelf.

I haven't got it yet, but from a youtube video i found the 'desk' piece seems to be solid (ikea type wood) with decent support.  I was going to put some hidden L-brackets on that piece against wall to make it strong.  With glue and the extra L brackets holding up the desk i think it may work. 

here's a video of the desk wood part:  https://youtu.be/Ic-OHEg--Wk?t=131