Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hagstrom KE72 and joystick diags  (Read 1959 times)

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2012, 09:00:32 pm
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
Hagstrom KE72 and joystick diags
« on: November 11, 2003, 10:09:57 am »
Hi everyone,

I finally started toying with my KE72 after months of procrastination. I was testing button and joystick contacts when I noticed that joystick diagonals seems to print both mapped letters once and then repeatedly print only one of the 2 letters afterword. Shouldn't it fire both continuously since 2 contacts are being pressed? I have my .cfg file set up to fire repeatedly for joystick movement. I play games like robotron where it is essential that diagonals fire repeatedly. Does anyone know if this is an issue or is it just because I am spitting out my test results to a notepad document.

Thanks in advance.

This plan is so perfect, it's retarded. -- Peter Family Guy

TalkingOctopus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2023, 03:39:02 am
  • @!#?@!
    • My Arcade
Re:Hagstrom KE72 and joystick diags
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2003, 03:28:33 pm »
I have a ke72 and have never done a test like that.  I have absolutely no problem with diagnols.  For my config, I mapped each button to a single key.  Have you tried playing a game and had this problem?

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2012, 09:00:32 pm
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2003, 03:35:33 pm »
I haven't played a game yet. I'm in the process of building my Mame cab. I was just testing some of the contacts in a rudimentary way to see if the KE72 was working. As long as Robotron rapid fires and continously runs in all directions, I'll be a happy camper.   :)

Thanks.
This plan is so perfect, it's retarded. -- Peter Family Guy

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:19:45 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2003, 05:32:23 pm »
I finally started toying with my KE72 after months of procrastination. I was testing button and joystick contacts when I noticed that joystick diagonals seems to print both mapped letters once and then repeatedly print only one of the 2 letters afterword. Shouldn't it fire both continuously since 2 contacts are being pressed? I have my .cfg file set up to fire repeatedly for joystick movement. I play games like robotron where it is essential that diagonals fire repeatedly. Does anyone know if this is an issue or is it just because I am spitting out my test results to a notepad document.

Since this question pertains to all encoders and keyboards in general, I'll give this a shot.

What you are seeing is not an issue.  It's just the key-repeat in action, and like the keyboard it's emulating, only the last key pressed is ever repeated.  

Your software was written with a real keyboard in mind, and as such, has no problems ignoring the repeated key.  This repeated key will also have absolutely no negative effect on your gameplay, unless you have a very slow encoder.

Suppose the "A" key is pressed.  The controller will send a "keydown" command for the "A" key.  Once that command is received, the software ignores any future "A" key "keydown" commands until an "A" key "key release" command is issued.  Only then will it honor another "keydown" command for the "A" key.

This way, the software always knows what the state of the keys are, and since the key-repeat only uses "keydown" commands, the software never gets confused.

Hope this explains things a bit better.  :)

RandyT