Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: electric control panel latch/clamp?  (Read 1311 times)

happyfunball

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 11, 2015, 07:49:39 pm
electric control panel latch/clamp?
« on: May 10, 2013, 09:46:08 am »
so I've decided to use swappable control panels in the cabinet I'm working on. I want to be able to swap them with a minimum of fuss. And I was thinking they probably need to be locked down in some way so they don't slip of pop off for any reason. I was thinking I could use like spring loaded cabinet clamps for that.

however, I didn't want to use anything where I have to stick my hand in the coin door and fish around trying to pop it off or open a latch. So, I figured it might be possible to use some sort of electronic latch where you could just push a button and the latch/lock would just release and you lift it off, unplug it, and swap, press the button, and the new one is locked down.

has anyone done this? some searches on the forum haven't really popped up much relevant but maybe I'm using the wrong terms.

or am I overthinking this and there is some really simple solutions I've missed?

Jumpman64

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2017, 04:58:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: electric control panel latch/clamp?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 10:43:12 am »
I can't recall having seen that done but it sounds like it should be pretty doable.  I say go for it  :cheers:

EightBySix

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2021, 01:50:16 pm
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 03:54:08 pm »
I've got a similar requirement. Was thinking along the lines of some sort of bolt or pin retracted by a solenoid, but thats as far as I got....

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2024, 04:55:07 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 04:06:30 pm »
PL1 helped me design something similar for the Mark 2 or 3 of my NRFT design.

Check out these small linear actuators:  http://store.firgelli.com/Firgelli_PQ12_S_p/pq12-s.htm

You want a LA over a solenoid so it's positional and doesn't have to remain under power.  You'd just need a three position switch.  Pos 1 (+) for locked.  Pos 2 (open), Pos 3 (-) to unlock.  You could run two or a dozen off a single switch providing you want them all to fire together.  I figure two would do you.  They're a bit pricey but all you'd need to do is just line up brackets with through holes. 

melvinbates

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2023, 11:39:02 am
  • Another day in paradise
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 04:33:06 pm »
You could try something like this
http://www.amazon.com/Amico-Open-Frame-Solenoid-Electric/dp/B005FOTJF8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_indust_1/186-2454841-6476121
you would just need to fashion a catch of some sort on your panel.  It's a little cheaper than a linear actuator and all you would need is a button to hit it with 12 v to open.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2024, 04:55:07 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 04:50:32 pm »
http://www.amazon.com/Amico-Open-Frame-Solenoid-Electric/dp/B005FOTJF8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_indust_1/186-2454841-6476121
you would just need to fashion a catch of some sort on your panel.  It's a little cheaper than a linear actuator and all you would need is a button to hit it with 12 v to open.

It's not likely to fail either.  If it did it would fail in the closed position but there are ways to design around that issue if it's a concern.  I'd say that would work pretty well and would be easy to tie into your PC power supply. 

michelevit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 12, 2024, 04:10:55 am
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 07:37:11 pm »
1.3 amps! to trigger that solenoid.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:13 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 09:57:01 pm »

Use a standard door-lock strike plate (gray) for the catch.

Add a spring plate (red) that pushes the panel up when the solenoid (green) is triggered.

To close the panel, some sort of pivot/horizontal guide pins on the leading edge allow you to push down on the panel compressing the spring plate and allowing the strike plate to push the bolt in until the strike plate is low enough for the bolt to spring back and engage it.

Scott

happyfunball

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 11, 2015, 07:49:39 pm
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 03:40:50 pm »

yep, I was looking at this yesterday after posting this and thinking that would work pretty well