Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Cory Cocktail Cade  (Read 6900 times)

CoryBee

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 21, 2023, 07:12:25 pm
  • Bopity Boopy
Cory Cocktail Cade
« on: May 07, 2013, 06:24:11 am »
Building a cocktail machine from scratch. First time embarking on this but it must be done as I could not find one to "MAME" locally. The monitor going in it is a 22" (or 23" can't remember right now) IPS LED screen and the custom glass came in a few days ago

Here is a quick illustration

Top Panel (this should be fun)

If you could shoot me some advice about what I should\shouldn't do while building a cocktail cabinet please chime in. All new territory for me and I want it to be perfect. Like what should I use on the base that will touch the ground, I believe it will be on carpet. Or how I should go about configuring the software so when I want to use the side controls the fighting games and such are rotated properly, etc. (I have messed with the settings before but I am not at the stage to test any of my theories on how to accomplish the task at hand)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 09:03:02 pm by CoryBee »

Louis Tully

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2015, 09:41:03 pm
Re: Cory Cocktail Cade Caught Carpet
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 07:27:03 am »
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 03:39:06 pm by Louis Tully »

Jigenjuke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 02, 2016, 12:00:50 am
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 07:23:49 pm »
Cory, looking great man!

I'm not sure about the 90 degree cutwways where the bottons and joysticks go.  If you are going to t-mould that it might be a little rough, but other than that it looks awesome!

What are the dimensions for this puppy.  I hope it's gonna be bigger than the ones I am making.

Jigenjuke

kahlid74

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2021, 12:42:56 pm
  • Gaming for a better future!
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 08:46:58 am »
I haven't a clue how to make sure the games rotate as expected but I would re-iterate using levelers for feet as you can then adjust the cocktail in any circumstances.

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 07:27:13 pm »
You flatter me too much Tully  ;D

I think I will be going with raised felt pads (just got word it will most likely be on ceramic tiles)

I am doing what research I can find on the forums on the rotation and split screen issues I will encounter when working on the programing so any help would be appreciated.

As for the 90 degree cutout I am going to curve it out a bit. Probably about a half inch angle from the inside to the end.

Here are a few glamor shots of the glass in place.

Jigenjuke

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 07:35:11 pm »
Cory, I think what you want to do is "mirror" the horizontal game screen so that each player is looking at their own screen on their side of the cocktail cabinet, right?

If this is the case you have to go in and set each game for cocktail mode.  A pain in the butt but doable. 

Jigenjuke

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 07:50:42 pm »
Cory, I think what you want to do is "mirror" the horizontal game screen so that each player is looking at their own screen on their side of the cocktail cabinet, right?

If this is the case you have to go in and set each game for cocktail mode.  A pain in the butt but doable. 

Jigenjuke

Will it mirror all games like this? What I mean is if I am playing one player will it still mirror it or only when 2-Player puts a coin in?

Thanks.

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2013, 06:52:30 pm
  • -Banned-
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 08:02:44 pm »
How did you get those 90 degree interior routings?
-Banned-

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 08:18:24 pm »
How did you get those 90 degree interior routings?

Flush trim bit and these pieces of scrap wood to guide it from the other side

Jigenjuke

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 08:27:33 pm »

Jigenjuke

Will it mirror all games like this? What I mean is if I am playing one player will it still mirror it or only when 2-Player puts a coin in?

Thanks.

I believe on the little cocktail cabs that I made it will "mirror" for both sides even if only player 1 is playing (also if player 2 dies).  I am not entirely sure but I will check and get back to you.

Jigenjuke

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 08:42:12 pm »
Thanks!

Oh and the top panel is the same size as the old Pac-Man cocktails.

Dimensions are about 32" x 22"

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
Re: Cory Cocktail Cade
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 09:36:52 pm »
I took your advice "Jigenjuke" and angled out the ends. Measured out an inch and cut across.

Looks good and will make t-molding it easier.

Control Panel sides, hand drawn curve. One side + Flush-Trim bit + Garage full of dust = 6 identical pieces

Did some final measuring and routing for the monitor. Held in by these little strips of wood & softboard.

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 10:57:46 pm »
Not sure he meant that way bud...

You could of just gave the inner and outer corners a nice round radius.

You still left yourself that nasty inner corner, you gonna have a small annoying gap in all 4 of those corners...

Loving your builds man, i'm keeping up with em all :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 11:38:05 pm »

You still left yourself that nasty inner corner, you gonna have a small annoying gap in all 4 of those corners...

Loving your builds man, i'm keeping up with em all :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Ah I see. Well it still would have been a pain in there without the spread. I can round it a bit in there as well.

Thanks for looking bossman! Plan on doing a 2 - 4 multibuild of some cabarets when I am done with this one.  :cheers:

Jigenjuke

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 11:54:42 pm »

Ah I see. Well it still would have been a pain in there without the spread. I can round it a bit in there as well.

Thanks for looking bossman! Plan on doing a 2 - 4 multibuild of some cabarets when I am done with this one.  :cheers:

Cory, yeah that's what I meant.  I should have posted a picture for you as well.  This pic is of one of the early stages of the mini cocktail cabinets we built.  The rounded innies and outies really help with the t-molding process.  It is not impossible to do the t-molding on sharp angles but it is a pain in the butt.  I would take it slowly, think it out and maybe put some 45 degree cuts (or more if required) on the bottom of the t-molding, cut it when you get to one corner of your sharp inner corner and bevel the top of the t-molding a little before you start with another bevel topped t-molding peice when you pick up where you left off on that inner angled corner.  With a little practice you can make it look stellar!  Keep up the grat work. 

I am looking forward to seeing your cabaret cabinets.

Jigenjuke

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2013, 10:51:55 am »

Cory, yeah that's what I meant.  I should have posted a picture for you as well.  This pic is of one of the early stages of the mini cocktail cabinets we built.  The rounded innies and outies really help with the t-molding process.  It is not impossible to do the t-molding on sharp angles but it is a pain in the butt.  I would take it slowly, think it out and maybe put some 45 degree cuts (or more if required) on the bottom of the t-molding, cut it when you get to one corner of your sharp inner corner and bevel the top of the t-molding a little before you start with another bevel topped t-molding peice when you pick up where you left off on that inner angled corner.  With a little practice you can make it look stellar!  Keep up the grat work. 

I am looking forward to seeing your cabaret cabinets.

Jigenjuke

:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

Round your corners man, that process is for grown folks only  :)

sabreerbasAlpha

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2017, 07:28:29 pm
  • Remember those big 10ps?
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2013, 01:21:44 pm »
Lucking Sweet so far man. Great build  :applaud:

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2013, 07:50:05 pm »
Lucking Sweet so far man. Great build  :applaud:

:cheers:

Just got done with some of the software stuff. Mala is usefull when it comes to cocktail cabinets in switching the gamelist and orientation. Mala does this whenever one of the dedicated buttons are pressed that you set. I only have enough inputs for the two controllers so I use what extra inputs I have (like 1-2) along with Joytokey to clone them on a different set.

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2013, 04:00:20 am »
Had a ton of trouble with making it so the control panel designs flowed with the rest of the cabinet and most importantly didn't stick out further than the glass.

First coat applied

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2013, 03:14:43 am »
Cab complete!!

Top shots

Inconspicuous power button. Desktop is wired up to a relay that turns on the rest of the power strip

Night shot

Full brightness

Thanks for looking (once again)  :cheers:

I have some other projects coming up including a couple Cabarets & a Super "Mini" build (with LED buttons!  ??? )

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2013, 05:52:38 pm »
Quick video - Playing it and showing the "Mala" gamelist switch and rotate

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 29, 2023, 09:10:21 pm
  • Back I guess...
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2013, 07:42:55 pm »
Dude, I mean, seriously, you have been on here a year, talk about the evolution of a cab builder. The thing looks the nuts (and you just know the software and computer are straight up sorted). Most impressive is the speed you pump these suckers out, RedBull must make a killing off you...good work  :applaud:

dubleon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2018, 03:27:55 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2013, 11:52:15 pm »
cool! Did you base it on any plans or is it all custom? I love the side by side panel :)

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2013, 01:12:34 am »
Dude, I mean, seriously, you have been on here a year, talk about the evolution of a cab builder. The thing looks the nuts (and you just know the software and computer are straight up sorted). Most impressive is the speed you pump these suckers out, RedBull must make a killing off you...good work  :applaud:

Try smoothies and honey good sir.  :cheers:

cool! Did you base it on any plans or is it all custom? I love the side by side panel :)

Thanks. I did everything in my head, the only measurements I took from someone was a pacman cocktail for the relative height it should be and the relative panel length and width.

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2013, 09:07:36 pm »
Aaaaaand she's gone.  :(

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2023, 12:10:24 pm
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2013, 12:59:18 pm »
A very 'honest' looking cocktail in terms of the design. I'm liking it a lot. Great job CoryBee  :cheers:
Click a pic for a video tour 

sabreerbasAlpha

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2017, 07:28:29 pm
  • Remember those big 10ps?
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2013, 01:39:21 pm »
Wow.

CoryBee not sure if it was intentional or not but it looks so retro early 90s Arcade style. I love it. It must be the button and stick colours that do it for me. It looks sweet. Very Very nice job man.  :notworthy:

And thanks for the video. Im learning so much from you guys Thank you. :applaud: :cheers:

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2013, 02:35:41 pm »
Dude, keep up this pace of improvement and you're sure to out shine us all!  I've gone from making suggestions to taking notes. 

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2013, 03:35:21 pm »
You guys are just swell.

It was my intention to keep it simple enough to seem like it could be from the era of arcades (that I missed by nearly half decade).

It was well received by the now owner and his son. Last real update with pictures.

It has been one of the more puzzling builds as of "yet", but I like that part of building things from nothing as I am sure most of you do as well. Already started the first side piece of the cabaret builds so I have more to update you guys on soon enough.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2013, 04:20:44 pm »
 :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

nuff said...................