Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Gulp. Here goes. Time to commit to: Project Legacy  (Read 47535 times)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:35:40 pm
Re: Gulp. Here goes. Time to commit to: Project Legacy
« Reply #160 on: July 26, 2018, 10:18:12 am »
I should be focusing on the rotating monitor. Theres gonna be a lot of r&d on that, I'll bet (that is, realizing I've screwed up & starting over).

I’ve got mine up and running.  Posted a tutorial under automated projects if it’s if help.  If you haven’t figured out already, the minimum width of your cab will be dictated by the diagonals of the display you are using.  Wouldn’t want you to start construction and have to tear things apart cause it wasn’t wide enough.

Tutorial with parts and links where to buy:

[url=http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156671.0.html]http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156671.0.html[/URL]

Every time I see this I think I'm definitely doing this in my next cab.  It's so cool.   :cheers:

lcmgadgets

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2023, 01:46:12 pm
  • Can u guess what game this image is from?
« Reply #161 on: July 26, 2018, 04:22:26 pm »
If you haven’t figured out already, the minimum width of your cab will be dictated by the diagonals of the display you are using.

Yes, I almost learned this the hard way. Had my drawings almost done, and thought I'd left lotsa room for a diagonal monitor. Then tried rotating the virtual monitor, & discovered the evil truth. Resulted in a fairly major rework.  Wouldn’t want you to start construction and have to tear things apart cause it wasn’t wide enough.

Tutorial with parts and links where to buy:

[url=http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156671.0.html]http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156671.0.html[/URL]

Thanks! I've got the ideas already worked out, but I still have time to change things if I find something better. I'll definitely be checking it out.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 04:25:14 pm by lcmgadgets »
"Godzilla is a warning. A warning to each and every one of us. When mankind falls into conflict with nature, monsters are born."
Professor Hayashida

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
« Reply #162 on: August 04, 2018, 04:08:29 pm »
Finished the 2nd mockup upside down scrotum. Attached both scrotums at the right width (2'4" apart) & placed the incomplete control panel in place. The look & feel seem pretty good.

Other than this little bit of work, its been a crazy busy week. I got nothing done on the programming/rotating monitor end of things, except to go over weissaupt's notes from his wonderful Ghost in the Machine cab.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 04:11:58 pm by lcmgadgets »
"Godzilla is a warning. A warning to each and every one of us. When mankind falls into conflict with nature, monsters are born."
Professor Hayashida

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #163 on: August 05, 2018, 08:24:05 pm »
Project Legacy is blowing my balls away.... page 5
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 10:55:50 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149265.120.html
« Reply #164 on: August 05, 2018, 10:32:09 pm »
Finished the 2nd mockup upside down scrotum.

LOL... no more pseudo-scrotums!  Let's drop those nuts and make it already!  :laugh:

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
« Reply #165 on: August 06, 2018, 01:33:08 pm »
Project Legacy is blowing my balls away.... page 5

I know, sigh. I've been very slow at this. From original 'hmmm...wouldn't a modern computer (which was a 486 then) be powerful enough to play just about every arcade game made?' until now, its been 11 years.

Of course, there've been some major stumbles along the way: wife died, special needs son to raise solo, got back into roller skating in a big way. My lack of knowledge/skills/courage/wood shop has been the major problem. I still don't know how I'm going to do the programming thats going to be required. I gotta figure out how to populate 2 halves of a monitor with different images (RandyT knows, I'm gonna be pestering him), how to use a 'back up monitor' to display the controls for any chosen game, & I'm still scratching my head about the programming of the rotating monitor, even though weissaupt has been very helpful. And of course I gotta figure out how to configure MAME & whatever front end I go with (I`m leaning towards hyperspin) to call up these programs when needed.

I've been so afraid of pouring a lot of money into R&D on this. I'll get it done. Its just gonna be a lotta work.

Maybe the best advice I can give to any newbie considering building a cab, it'd be to join & spend a lot of time on this forum. This project is very unlikely to be completed without the help of all the great people here.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 10:03:10 pm by lcmgadgets »
Professor Hayashida

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:21:02 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #166 on: August 06, 2018, 01:35:16 pm »
The best advice would be to start simple.

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
« Reply #167 on: August 06, 2018, 01:45:46 pm »
The best advice would be to start simple.

Very true. But I only wanna do this once, & I only have money & space for 1 great project. So I`m going big (actually, I`m wondering if there`ll be enough money left over from this to do a virtual pinball machine using the occulus rift).
Professor Hayashida

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #168 on: August 06, 2018, 02:52:26 pm »
How do you know you won't have space 16 years from now when this cab is done?

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #169 on: August 06, 2018, 05:30:19 pm »
I don't think you'll have any regrets if you simplify some things and enjoy the final product.

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
« Reply #170 on: August 06, 2018, 08:15:20 pm »
How do you know you won't have space 16 years from now when this cab is done?

This is always a possibility. But I doubt it. If anything, I'll have probably sold the house & be living in a small apartment. My career/money possibilities aren't good for the distant future, either. I'm 54 now, running my own very small business, which I'm about to quit because I'm barely breaking even. Tim Hortons is looking like my great future career possibility. I wouldn't be doing this project at all if I hadn't bought 95% of the parts years ago, & still have money saved specifically for this.

And I'm sure it won't take me longer than 15 years to complete.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 10:01:29 pm by lcmgadgets »
Professor Hayashida

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
« Reply #171 on: August 06, 2018, 08:21:35 pm »
I don't think you'll have any regrets if you simplify some things and enjoy the final product.

I have compromised on some early ideas, but there're some things I simply must have. I think I've given up on the detachable periscope idea, & the glowing silicone brain under the glass dome I was gonna put on top of the machine (I was imagining something like the brain creatures from 'the gamesters of triskelion'; it would have been awesome eye candy) has been traded for the lcd marquee.

I'll enjoy the final product alright, but I'm enjoying the road there, too. I'm in no rush
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 08:38:47 pm by lcmgadgets »
Professor Hayashida

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
« Reply #172 on: August 24, 2018, 10:35:26 pm »
At last, another update. We used Al's homemade cnc (this guy operates at a level way above mine) to convert my google sketchup to a mockup of an 8" modular panel. This 1 could hold the track ball, or, as weissaupt suggested in his 'what I would have done different' considering his wonderful 'Ghost in the Machine' cab, a spinner panel.

Al used simple double sided tape to hold the piece in place while the machine operated. A slightly sloppy belt in the base resulted in a tiny bit of slippage in the final cut. We'll tighten up the machine for the real panel (again I'm glad we're making a mock up of cheap material).

We also made a 4" panel...I thought I took pics but I can't seem to find them  ???

In other news, my search to find another old clunker computer continues.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 12:33:38 am by lcmgadgets »
Professor Hayashida

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #173 on: August 24, 2018, 10:54:27 pm »
Are you still doing mock ups or are you cutting the real deal?

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
« Reply #174 on: August 27, 2018, 12:31:49 am »
This is mockup. I wanna mount a control or 2 to get a better feel for the final product. But I could almost use the pieces Al & I cut--they were both off less than 1/16" due to the slippage in a belt. I'm considering it.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 12:33:59 am by lcmgadgets »
Professor Hayashida

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #175 on: August 27, 2018, 04:11:19 am »
I don't think that CNC machine is going to cut actual wood correctly if the belt is slipping when you are cutting that super thin stock. Is it a homemade machine? Those rotozips aren't designed for CNC spindle duty. You would be better off cutting your pieces manually.

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
« Reply #176 on: August 28, 2018, 12:54:13 am »
Al's quite confident that he can fix the tiny bit of slippage going on. That stock is 1/2"mdf. But I'll talk to him about it. Manually is how I originally thought I'd be cutting it anyway.
Professor Hayashida

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:39:08 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #177 on: August 28, 2018, 01:53:37 am »
Al's quite confident that he can fix the tiny bit of slippage going on. That stock is 1/2"mdf. But I'll talk to him about it.
Not sure if Al's system can generate g-code for the method, but it could help reduce cutting forces ==> less chance of belt slippage.

Scott

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
« Reply #178 on: August 29, 2018, 12:01:40 am »
Thats a good idea! Those panels have to be machined to a pretty fine tolerance to fit right. That method might be the solution. Thanks PL1! I'll talk to Al about it
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 12:04:01 am by lcmgadgets »
Professor Hayashida

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #179 on: August 29, 2018, 04:22:25 am »
If an axis belt is slipping you are cutting too fast. Slow down the feed speed. If the belt slips at low speed than find a real CNC machine that uses screws or rack and pinion. Better yet, it's a freaking arcade cab. Cut it with a jigsaw and sand it to fit. You are only building one cab, not 50.

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
« Reply #180 on: September 16, 2018, 12:16:41 am »
If an axis belt is slipping you are cutting too fast. Slow down the feed speed. If the belt slips at low speed than find a real CNC machine that uses screws or rack and pinion. Better yet, it's a freaking arcade cab. Cut it with a jigsaw and sand it to fit. You are only building one cab, not 50.

All very true. It's Al's work space & equipment, though, & he's convinced he can get the machine up to snuff. Also, he plain likes to play with it.  ;D
Professor Hayashida

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
« Reply #181 on: September 16, 2018, 12:43:49 am »
At last, an update! I've been busy with real life stuff (roller skating, working for our roller skating grand imperial poobah, getting my son settled back in school, did I say roller skating?), but finally did some work on the 8" 6 button panel.

Once again, the value of starting with a mock up is proving invaluable. We discovered that the button holes were a bit too small, despite the sketchup drawings being accurate. It turned out that Al had mismeasured the router bit in his cnc. A quick editing, & the problem is fixed. It was cool to see a gold leaf push button mounted.

On my own I'm still working on the rotating monitor design, via google sketchup for the moment. I'm concerned about the weight of the monitor on the support. When I finish some options I'll post them for your feedback.

Also, just as with Doc's Modular Mame, & Weissaupt's Ghost in the Machine, I have to pick a way to attach these individual controller panels to the box, in a way that they stay in position well despite rough handling, but can be quickly removed without tools. Doc used a peg & hole arrangement, Weissaupt used velcro. Both seem to work great, but a roller skating friend of mine offered me these powerful earth magnets, I'm considering trying them to hold down the edge of the panels closest to the player. The farther end I intend to try Doc's peg & hole setup. Of course, I'll have to consider the issues magnets bring with them...(I don't want to wipe a friend's credit cards)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 12:50:27 am by lcmgadgets »
Professor Hayashida

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
« Reply #182 on: April 15, 2020, 12:57:23 pm »
Well, I'm back again. Fall came, & Al & I couldn't do any work at his place. & then spring rolled around, & he was tied up with other projects. So it sat again.

But with the virus keeping me at home, I have time again. & so, an update.

I've been working! I built a test support for the rotating monitor, to get a feel for it and to see if this design would actually work. I came to the conclusion that the weight was fine, but I don't like the lazy susan bearing-I've got a flange bearing on order.

With that on delay, I went back to work on the Star Wars yoke, & the Kadestick interface (thanks PL1). I ended up wiring up a whole new MattairTech MT-DB-U4 board--I'd snapped the resistor off the 1st board & could not successfully desolder & replace it. Followed PL1's great instructions (http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=156279.0), and plugged the board into my pc to install the driver.
And I'm stuck there. It won't install it. I tried manually installing it--no dice. The computer sees a device there, & the Flip software seems to see it, because it won't program it because the driver isn't installed. I've tried a few different ideas (downloaded & tried to install a 'signed' driver (have no idea what that means)). No luck. I've emailed the company and explained the problem...waiting. In the meantime I'll find something else to work on.

I'll post some pics later.

Hope everyone is doing well, all considered.
Professor Hayashida

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
« Reply #183 on: April 30, 2020, 03:50:46 pm »
Pictures! My test model of the mount that the monitor will be rotated on. The flange bearing to replace the lazy susan is still coming.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 04:06:42 pm by lcmgadgets »
Professor Hayashida

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
« Reply #184 on: April 30, 2020, 04:16:06 pm »
I opened up this old rifle I bought to see if it was optical or pots. I was betting pots. Wrong!
Professor Hayashida

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
« Reply #185 on: April 30, 2020, 04:44:43 pm »
...& I still can't get this Mattair board to program. & I forgot to put heat shrink tubing over the resistor before I'd soldered both ends--a little hot glue made an ugly but workable fix. I have pre-programmed boards on order coming.

& heres a pic of the motor that'll rotate the monitor, with wires soldered on.
Professor Hayashida

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:39:08 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #186 on: April 30, 2020, 06:48:20 pm »
I opened up this old rifle I bought to see if it was optical or pots. I was betting pots. Wrong!
Looks like it might be from a Mechanized Attack cab -- see pages 8 and 12-18 of the manual here.

Scott

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
« Reply #187 on: May 08, 2020, 01:28:00 pm »

Looks like it might be from a Mechanized Attack cab -- see pages 8 and 12-18 of the manual here.

That has to be it!
Professor Hayashida

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
« Reply #188 on: November 10, 2020, 08:50:14 pm »
Omg, more progress.
Got the motor mounted, assembled the driver board. My new soldering station made this wayyy easier....I learned the hard way that a butane iron & lead free solder do not make a good combination.
I'm working on the parallel port connection & looking over the program provided by weisshaupt--thanks to him again.
Hmmm...my pics didn't upload....I suppose I should put them in the appropriate thread & paste a link here....

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,159740.640.html#lastPost
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 09:12:14 pm by lcmgadgets »
Professor Hayashida

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
« Reply #189 on: January 26, 2023, 07:19:46 pm »
Hi all, yes, believe it or not, I'm working on Legacy again. I've actually got a lot of the wood cut/sanded/primed/painted. I've built the bulk of the box where the controls will live. I'll post pics later.
I've encountered another problem with the rotating monitor. I gave up on trying to automate the rotation--despite weissaupt's wonderful & much appreciated help, I could not get the program to work. I decided to motorize the rotation but drop the automation--a switch will drive it.
& I simplified the motor--I saw & am trying a microwave turntable motor. Got it mounted nicely, powered & tested it. Discovered that a weird connector that came with it is actually necessary for it to work.
& then I added the monitor to it, & discovered that if any resistance is applied at all, the darn thing stops & tries to rotate in the opposite direction.
Here's the motor I'm trying to use, & the odd connector. If anyone has any suggestions, they are much appreciated.
Professor Hayashida

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:35:40 pm
« Reply #190 on: January 27, 2023, 09:36:07 am »
Glad to see you are back at it.  Recently, people have been using large TVs in portrait mode hiding the top behind the marquee and the bottom behind the control panel leaving a square exposed.  This as not really practical a few years ago but TVs are super cheap now. 

This completely eliminates the need for a rotating monitor and you can still get "full screen" for both horizontal and vertical games.  If the rotation part of your build is giving you trouble, you may want to look into this.

:cheers:

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
« Reply #191 on: January 27, 2023, 10:39:53 am »
Glad to see you are back at it.  Recently, people have been using large TVs in portrait mode hiding the top behind the marquee and the bottom behind the control panel leaving a square exposed.  This as not really practical a few years ago but TVs are super cheap now. 
You know what--I'm gonna look into this. Beat the whole friggin problem. I've got other issues ahead, anyway. Lol
Professor Hayashida