Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: If you've never seen the machine play how do you know what's normal?  (Read 2124 times)

Toadie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 30, 2013, 09:29:51 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
So I'm going through my PB and I'm trying to figure out what's normal.  I know that one of my thumper bumpers isn't working so I need to trouble shoot that.  The top row though I'm not sure about.  Does anyone know if the top row bumpers in a Space Invaders machine are thumper bumpers?  Youtube videos would indicate that they aren't, but I'm not sure they just sort of seem to beep when the ball goes by.  Normal?

TopJimmyCooks

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
you can see if there's a virtual pinball table
www.vpforums.org

I have used those in the past especially to find out if sounds are missing from the sound board. 

The top row of bumpers on SI I think is scoring only, not pops.  you can tell by looking at them - see if they have solenoids underneath or not. 

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
:    Flippers (4), Pop bumpers (3), Passive bumpers (4), Slingshots (2), Standup targets (6), 3-bank drop targets (1), Solitary drop target (1), Spinning target (1), Captive ball (1), Horseshoe lane (1). Animated infinity lights are behind a specially-mirrored backglass. Electronic sound. 3 or 5 ball play.

refernce from
>http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?gid=2252<

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

Toadie

• Offline Offline
Oh I guess that would be called a passive bumper?

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
yup just a roll over switch

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm

I have had this issue before when rehabbing games.  Sometimes it's a little tricky, when you're new to the process, to rehab a game if you've never played it.  After a while you learn to read the mechanical parts of the game to see what it should be doing.  TopJimmyCooks alluded to that when he asked if those bumpers have solenoids.

It gets trickier when you run into software behaviours and can't tell if that's right.  Laser Cue was a tough one for me that way.  There are a lot of drop targets that have software adjustable behaviours and it took me a while to understand that what I was seeing was an adjustment rather than a logic failure.

Toadie

• Offline Offline
That is so true, plus I'm tackling a bunch of different issues so I'm not sure if things are electrical or supposed to work that way.

gtxjoe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2022, 08:55:58 am
You can also find videos at pinball.org

Here is Space Invaders http://pinball.org/videos/gameplay-videos/space-invaders/

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:43:31 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: If you've never seen the machine play how do you know what's normal?
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 07:58:50 am »
Another tool to help you sort out the triggers and behaviors of the various modes is a good rulesheet.

Don't see one for Space Invaders, other than section IV (pgs 7-8) of the manual.   :dunno

Scott