Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Don't you hate it when your new racing cabinet is too big for the door :)  (Read 5104 times)

DLinkOZ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2017, 08:12:46 am
    • The DaveCade
Picked up my Outrun 2 today.  Exactly 1" bigger than my door frame... so it's in the garage.  So my question to others who have faced this problem - should I take the time to disassemble the cabinet to get it inside (ala 1970s car in the living room gag) or just trade it on for something smaller?  One of my cranes got upstairs in pieces, so it's not something new to me.  Just fishing for opinions.  Since it was 90 degrees today, I waited until it cooled down so I could get some game time in tonight in the garage.  Not as much fun as my game room, but still pretty damn fun!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Depends upon which cabinet you have, but the Outrun 2 cabs have these plastic parts on the sides... they don't serve any structural purpose so you should be able to take those off and make it easy. 

Slydsho

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 19, 2014, 10:53:54 pm
  • Always Learning
Picked up my Outrun 2 today.  Exactly 1" bigger than my door frame... so it's in the garage.  So my question to others who have faced this problem - should I take the time to disassemble the cabinet to get it inside (ala 1970s car in the living room gag) or just trade it on for something smaller?  One of my cranes got upstairs in pieces, so it's not something new to me.  Just fishing for opinions.  Since it was 90 degrees today, I waited until it cooled down so I could get some game time in tonight in the garage.  Not as much fun as my game room, but still pretty damn fun!

did you get http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/vgm/3775242327.html if you did, thank god, because i almost overdrafted my account and put off some bills to get this one.

DLinkOZ

• Offline Offline
    • The DaveCade
Actually, that's mine, the game in question.  Testing the waters, if someone comes up with a good deal then it makes my mind up for me :)  I'm so on the fence right now - I have another cockpit racing game, so I don't *need* this one.  But I really do like it, spent the evening in my garage playing instead of in the house in the proper game room.  One of those moments when I'm just unsure how I want to proceed.

And this one does not have the plastic sides, that would be entirely too easy :)

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
I'm guessing you took the door off the frame, but how about taking a crowbar to the door jamb?  ;) Maybe that's a little dramatic, but a standard door jamb is pretty easy to to pry out and nail back in if you are careful. If you have half inch door jambs, that might be enough. I'd do that above disassembling the cab.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
It's par for the course to separate the base from the front and remove the control panel.  Does it still not fit after that? 

it might still be wider than the doorway at that point, but only the side panels, so it's possible to get the first side panel in by starting at an angle, then slide it  straight, then rotate it a bit again to get the second side panel past.

Sent using Board Express

DLinkOZ

• Offline Offline
    • The DaveCade
Lowest I got was that 1" difference, that was removing the seat from the main cabinet, then if I were to remove the control panel (steering wheel and shifter section) from the cabinet and turning it sideways.  Front to back without the steering wheel extruding is narrower then simply sideways.  I only did the measurements this way, haven't actually disassembled anything yet (beyond separating the seat from the main cabinet).  But that's how the math works out.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
These things are designed to squeeze through standard doorways.
I bet if you remove the marquee and CP, it will go through.

If the CP is anything like my Model 2 cabs, it's only 4 bolts and a few wiring harness connectors.

It's Outrun 2!  It'd definitely worth the trouble.  ;D

DLinkOZ

• Offline Offline
    • The DaveCade
I have tall ceilings and doors (exterior doors, that is).  Height is a non-issue.  Width is an issue.  It's actually smaller in depth (front to back) with the control panel removed (so the steering wheel and gear shift don't stick out) than it is wide.  I'm still weighing my options.  Love the game, just not the work :)  Since I love gun games, and already have a car game, someone offering that sort of trade to me would be a sign from the arcade gods.  If not, then no sign is a sign in itself and I'll break out the tools!

DLinkOZ

• Offline Offline
    • The DaveCade
Slydsho, I'd be willing to make you a good deal if you were interested in it :)  Essentially, just what it would take for me to buy a good shooter.  You're welcome to check it out anytime you like, buy or not.  The more I think about it, the less I want to tear it apart and risk any "oopses" to such a fun game.

bleargh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:47:10 pm
  • ribbit...
I'm guessing you took the door off the frame, but how about taking a crowbar to the door jamb?

That's exactly what I did to get my "Final Lap 3" dual sit-down driver into the basement... took the door jamb right out at the bottom of the stairs, which gave me that last 1/2" I needed to be able to squeeze it through.

After that, my wife made it very clear... "When we sell the house, that game goes (stays) with it!"

DLinkOZ

• Offline Offline
    • The DaveCade
This is my front door, so I have to tread lightly with my wife.  I think pulling the door jamb would be the equivalent of a vow of celibacy.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
How handy are you?  I notice a rather large window beside the door.  Remove the caulk, take out the nails/screws and pop that baby out.  Just put everything back when you are done. 

DLinkOZ

• Offline Offline
    • The DaveCade
I feeling out the waters on a shooter.  I'll give it a week, and then I'll get this guy inside.  For me, far easier to disassemble the cabinet.  Been there, done that so not the end of the world.  But I'm checking my options for rounding out my collection (which already has a racer).  But I love the game, so if it works out that I keep it then I'm still a happy chappy.

vandale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2023, 04:01:16 am
  • Id 10 and t error
I was lucky, only had to take the door off the hinges

DLinkOZ

• Offline Offline
    • The DaveCade
That is exactly the way I would do it, if my door frame were 1 inch wider :)

brihyn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 31, 2020, 04:29:27 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Two years ago we bought a new couch for my wife's upstairs office. Her brother, dad, and I lugged the thing up the steps, but no matter what wwe tried, there was just no conceivable way to get it around the corner into the office...about 1" too big as well.
The counch was an incredible deal with no return, and she loved it.
Solution? I ended up cutting a huge chunk of the wall out (basically cut a new doorway in the wall), cut the the studs out, carried in the couch, then rebuilt the wall. Even paying the sheetrock guy to remud (something I just can't get the hang of, no matter how much remodelling I've done), the couch was still a deal.
We know we're going to have to take that B%#$h out in pieces when she finally wants it gone.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
Two years ago we bought a new couch for my wife's upstairs office. Her brother, dad, and I lugged the thing up the steps, but no matter what wwe tried, there was just no conceivable way to get it around the corner into the office...about 1" too big as well.
The counch was an incredible deal with no return, and she loved it.
Solution? I ended up cutting a huge chunk of the wall out (basically cut a new doorway in the wall), cut the the studs out, carried in the couch, then rebuilt the wall. Even paying the sheetrock guy to remud (something I just can't get the hang of, no matter how much remodelling I've done), the couch was still a deal.
We know we're going to have to take that B%#$h out in pieces when she finally wants it gone.

:cheers: I feel for you. I've done that as well, but it was a bed. The box frame would not fit upstairs no matter how I tried. I completely uninstalled the railing system on the stairs (Was gonna replace anyway) and it still wouldn't fit. Then I cut a hole in the wall to make it around the corner. At that point I made it further up the stairs, but it still wouldn't fit through the archway at the top of the stairs. At that point I grabbed my recip. saw, opened the box frame, and cut the boxframe supports to collapse the entire frame. When it was upstairs, I mended the frame, then patched the wall and replaced the railing. I was cussing that day, but at least that   :censored: bed didn't win in the end.  :lol

Oh, and I totally agree about mudding drywall. it sucks.

DLinkOZ

• Offline Offline
    • The DaveCade
Wow, so this thread is highlighting one very clear fact - I'm much lazier than my fellow arcade enthusiast!

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
 :lol I'm lazy too, but I'm also too stubborn, too cheap and too arrogant to not force that bed boxframe up my stairs no matter what I had to chop to pieces.

brihyn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 31, 2020, 04:29:27 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I just finished a calculus final yesterday, so I think I can sum this up in a nice equation:
My laziness < my cheapness.

DLinkOZ

• Offline Offline
    • The DaveCade
This is an early shot of me getting one of my cranes upstairs.  By the time I moved it, the thing was basically a flat pack, a bin of parts and the trolley.  Made the move VERY easy :)