Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Breaktime Arcade Driving cabinet site updated!  (Read 3117 times)

arcadepcnut

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 15, 2019, 12:03:07 pm
  • Warhammer 40K, you should try it.
    • BREAKTIME
Breaktime Arcade Driving cabinet site updated!
« on: January 06, 2004, 04:36:56 pm »
For the first time in 6 months I have updated my page. This is my xbox inside home scratch built driving cabinet. Some may remember that this cabinet was going to be a convertible. It may still be but right now it has no top. It is nearing completion and just needs to be finished painting. Please let me know what you think. This was a huge project.

This webpage is very picture intensive.

http://www.nnmodels.com/breaktime

Thanks for your time.

Edgedamage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2018, 12:21:23 am
Re:Breaktime Arcade Driving cabinet site updated!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2004, 08:18:02 pm »
Great work looks good. OK let's be honest how good is that mad catz universal wheel is it worth the money?
Curls in the squat rack !?!?!

arcadepcnut

• Offline Offline
    • BREAKTIME
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2004, 09:16:26 pm »
Honestly?! It the best wheel I have ever used. But I have only had two other wheels besides this one. Its bigger and thicker and feels good in your hands...this sounds perverted doesnt it. Go to altavist and search for it. You find reviews in the 9-10 range. I really liked it in its original holder but its better in the cabinet. It is configurable (sensitivity) and it is programable. Every came seems to work good with it and it has all the buttons the xbox controller has.
No force feedback but the springs are nice and the resistance feels just right.

JamIt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 17, 2011, 03:27:07 pm
  • I want my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2004, 09:43:17 am »
Great Job!
I will definately be using your site as a guide when I get around to build my driving cab (I'll probably also bore you with questions :)).  I don't really know much about xbox so I was planning on just using a pc.  I think I may have to reconsider after seeing your site (and thinking about multiplayer).  How many driving games for the xbox are out there/do you have?
Thanks,
JamIt

pathdoc2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2006, 08:49:53 pm
  • Your friendly pathologist
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2004, 09:58:49 am »
Looks like a great project.  You might consider adding some fake gauges to make your control area look like a car dash board.  Just a thought.  Looks great.

Stingray

• Official Slacker - I promise to try a lot less
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2021, 03:43:54 pm
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2004, 10:48:34 am »
Fake guages wouldn't do it justice. I'd use real ones!

Great work.

-S
Stingray you magnificent bastard!
This place is dead lately.  Stingray scare everyone off?

zaphod

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 04, 2012, 11:11:38 am
    • ArcadeCab.com
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2004, 11:37:31 am »
I've seen the design you started with before and liked it.  However, it took up a lot of real estate.  I really like the results you got, in a much smaller footprint.  Very nice work!  I appreciate all the pictures you included of the cabinet's progress.  Will be helpful when I end up building a driving cab.

Edgedamage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2018, 12:21:23 am
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2004, 07:50:28 pm »
Hey that seat looks comfortable do you also use the cabinet for non driving games. Also it's good that your wheel works with the other systems. Maybe you could build a switch for the wheel so you could switch between diffrent consoles. And most stores sell audio/video switchers for cheap. Don't get me wrong I am not knocking your cabinet but adding another console to the mix can't hurt.
Curls in the squat rack !?!?!

arcadepcnut

• Offline Offline
    • BREAKTIME
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2004, 03:17:28 am »
I

m going to reply in order. But first off let me thank everyone for their kind words!

JamIt.
Thank you. I dont mind any questions. Please email me though as you will get a quicker response. There are at least 50 driving games available for the xbox. I have most of them (dont ask). The most notible are Wreckless (yes I know it is old but it is a blast in this configuration). Midtown madness 3/project gotham2 and need for speed are my most played ones. Burnout 1 and 2 are must haves as well.

pathdoc2.
I thought about adding gauges but If I painted them on...well they would look painted on. ;)
I may add some kind of vinyl (sp?) stickers at some point

Stingray.
Thanks for the idea.

Zaphod.
This one takes up a bit of real estate as well. Thats why its in the garage. It was either move the vertical and horizontal cabs out of the basement to make room for this one or put this one in the garage. I think it is fine in the garage. The dimensions if I remeber correctly (I'll doublecheck and put on the website) 35 1/2 inches wide (to fit through doorways) 63" tall and 73" long. It really doesnt have to be that long.

Edgedamage:
Its funny you should ask. I had a friend say it was more comfortable to watch movies in the car seat than in my living room hahaha. I also use it to play mp3's really loud while Im working in the garage or on the cars in the driveway. Your right about the wheel working for other systems being a plus. It was an unexpected plus since I originally bought the xbox only version. HOWEVER, dont want to start any flame wars...BUT...the driving games on the xbox are mostly the same ones already on the ps2 but with better graphics. There are a few xbox only titles that are excellent as well. The xbox is built into the machine (eject button and slot on dash and not easily removed) and I intended for it to be hidden. I wanted the feel of a real arcade machine without ANY hastles. I really like the guys rotating 6 panel driving game system mentioned earlier in this forum but it is definately not for me. I wanted sit down, push button, insert game of choice and play. I have a ps2 and honestly (again not to start flame wars) I only use it for playing RPG's. Yes I do have gran turismo and stuntman and both are good games. Im also sure there are other racing titles of equal that I dont have. But like I said above and I hope people understand that this is supposed to be a no hastles arcade style clone. I originally was only going to put a pc and play pc racers. But when you compare the price of a decent pc vs the xbox it was really an easy choice of which one for me. Also xbox mame is really nice. No it wont run sanfrancico rush and cruis'n... But outrun and pole position are a blast. If only it did :(

Thanks again for everyones comments and suggestions. Im thinking of adding some screen shots of some games in progress and finishing painting it very soon and get some finished snapshots.

Also I know there are some pictures you have to turn your head to see and I'm working on rotating those and putting them back online for easier viewing!

zaphod

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 04, 2012, 11:11:38 am
    • ArcadeCab.com
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2004, 08:53:15 am »
This one takes up a bit of real estate as well. Thats why its in the garage. It was either move the vertical and horizontal cabs out of the basement to make room for this one or put this one in the garage. I think it is fine in the garage. The dimensions if I remeber correctly (I'll doublecheck and put on the website) 35 1/2 inches wide (to fit through doorways) 63" tall and 73" long. It really doesnt have to be that long.

Upon closer inspection, I guess it does take up quite a bit of space.  However, it looks far more manageable than the Sparcade with regard to moving it around.  Visually, all the open space also makes it seem smaller, at least in the pictures.  Again, great work and I love how you integrated the Xbox in so well.  Makes total sense.

hyiu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2014, 05:36:15 am
  • too many games... too little time....
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2004, 11:42:33 am »
Great Work !!!....

I wish I can go build one....
but I don't think I can afford the space to make 1 like this...

btw... 1 question.... no cup holder ??....
heee heee.....    ;) ;) ;)
Another Brilliant mind ruined by education....  :p

arcadepcnut

• Offline Offline
    • BREAKTIME
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2004, 12:47:14 am »
Great Work !!!....

I wish I can go build one....
but I don't think I can afford the space to make 1 like this...

btw... 1 question.... no cup holder ??....
heee heee.....    ;) ;) ;)

Space=Garage hahaha
Already thought of the cup holder. There will be one. You see that hanging shelf thing with the games and remote on it?! I just have to cut a hole in the elongated area I made specifically for a cup to sit down in it. I'll keep you updated. I just cant find a hole saw blade in my collection big enough and I'll have to jigsaw it out. Hey this is one place where you can drink and drive ;);)