Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Interest Check: Jamma Adapters (Capcom, Taito, Nintendo) [CO, USA]  (Read 10193 times)

southpaw13

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2020, 05:11:18 pm
  • Whatever!
Re: Interest Check: Jamma Adapters (Capcom, Taito, Nintendo) [CO, USA]
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2013, 02:23:55 pm »
That works!  Thanks!  I will probably buy a couple SLGv2 with the order :)

Southpaw

poodude

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2013, 09:50:24 am
  • arcade game enthusiast
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2013, 09:36:31 am »
Are you selling the Arkanoid adapters at all? If so I would like one. My only other option is to get one off Mikes arcade.

CraftyMech

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 29, 2023, 08:08:45 pm
  • I love the smell of solder in the morning...
    • craftymech.com
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2013, 11:27:54 am »
I have the pcb design finished, I just need to review and send off for production. I'm going to be using an overseas company for this run due to the board size, instead of the local outfit I use for the much smaller mini SLG pcbs. The downside is a 2-3 week delivery time frame from when I submit the order.

I'm planning to submit the design in the next week, so hopefully I will have the Taito Classic Bubble Bobble/Arkanoid JAMMA adapter ready to sell by the end of September.

Just remember you need a spinner for Arkanoid! A joystick won't work, both from a technical and of course playability standpoint.
BitKit 8bit FPGA Multi - http://craftymech.com

poodude

• Offline Offline
  • arcade game enthusiast
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2013, 12:43:56 pm »
That sounds awesome! I'm willing to wait, so you can count me in for one. I have the original Taito spinners that I use for Arkanoid Returns. I've just been wanting to be able to play the original Like I used to in the arcades as a kid.  ;D

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2013, 04:16:23 am »
Hey Crafty, put me down for a taito classic adapter too!

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2013, 08:42:17 pm »
Hey will the Taito classic adapter support all 3 of Bubble Bobble's connectors?

BB has the 44-pin G connector, the 12-pin H connector, and a 32-pin T connector on the bottom board. That T connector isn't on Arkanoid boards.

I've read random multiple sources that the T connector isn't needed, but there are a few cases that say it is. Do you happen to know what the verdict is with this T connector?  The H connector seems to supply power to the CPU board (top), and the T connector seems to power the Video board (bottom).  Some people say the extra connector isn't necessary,  that the connection is just a dupe power tap since they're connected via ribbon cables, in case voltage drops on those lines...

But I  :dunno

CraftyMech

• Offline Offline
    • craftymech.com
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2013, 09:11:59 pm »
As far as I know the bottom 32pin connector is not needed, but I've probably read the same sources you did.

I have a Taito Legend of Kage board that has the same pinout, and it doesn't work without the 32 pin connector for the video board. The prototype adapter I built has both, but I wasn't planning on including the 32pin because of the added complexity.

.. but to be sure I need to test, so how about I lend you the prototype and you could verify if the 32pin is needed? That would definitely help me out a lot!

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2013, 09:18:44 pm »
Two problems with that plan:

I can't verify that I have a working BB board. I just picked this board up on the weekend, and the seller said he "thinks" it works, that it was running blind in a cabinet he pulled it from. But he suspects the monitor was bad, and that this board is good.

The other problem is that both my Jamma cabinets aren't putting the -5v the board needs. Though I'm working on rectifying this shortly.

I could give it a try once I have my PSU's -5v issue sorted, but with a possible faulty board I'm don't like the idea of giving you bench tests with an unverified board.

Is there anyone else here with a working verified Bubble Bobble that can help us out?  Has to be an original PCB.

Nephasth

« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2013, 10:35:17 pm »
The schematic shows the T connector as a 36 pin connector. I believe the pinout has the T connector mislabeled as G (since it shows two different connectors with the same name). As to whether you need it or not... not sure, but here's the part of the schematic showing the T connector pins as well as the pinout.

opt2not, my friend, you need to make yourself a test rig! ;D

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2013, 03:43:50 am »
opt2not, my friend, you need to make yourself a test rig! ;D
You're damn right.

Nephasth

« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2013, 12:51:34 pm »
Well, here's a pic of the back of a Bubble Bobble PCB, shows the T connector hooked up. With the pinout, schematic, and this pic showing the T connector connected, I'd say it's a safe bet that it needs to be hooked up.

CraftyMech

• Offline Offline
    • craftymech.com
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2013, 01:36:33 pm »
There is a seller on eBay that offers a Bubble Bobble Jamma adapter without the secondary connector. They are $60, which is a price I am hoping to come under by a wide margin. But just the fact someone has been selling those on eBay for awhile (the current listing has a couple sold), has me wondering if that extra connector is really needed. Without an actual working board to have someone test, I don't think we will have a definitive answer.

Either way I think I will include a couple pads on the pcb where I could add the secondary connector if needed. That way I can submit the design files and get the pcbs made, while still researching this question.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 01:38:39 pm by CraftyMech »

Nephasth

« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2013, 01:53:39 pm »
With the pinout, schematic, and this pic showing the T connector connected, I'd say it's a safe bet that it needs to be hooked up.

I take this back. I tested a Jungle Hunt PCB (which also has a T connector) with my adapter a month ago with the T connector disconnected and it worked just fine.

poodude

• Offline Offline
  • arcade game enthusiast
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2013, 10:16:56 am »
Any update with these adapters?