Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sega Rally Twin - Model 2/MAME conversion  (Read 25430 times)

TIGER8855

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2024, 03:14:19 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Sega Rally Twin - Model 2/MAME conversion
« on: April 22, 2013, 08:11:51 pm »
Hi all, currently in the middle of a project where I am converting a Sega Rally Twin for Sega Model 2/3, MAME and also new PC Games and saw the new Driving and Racing section and thought it would be a great place for a build log.

So basically, I picked up a non working Sega Rally Twin last year with the plan being I would modify the cab to put LCD's in, change the arcade steering and pedals to Logitech G27's, modify the view button panel to a Daytona style, add new speakers somewhere and also modify the coinbox for PC power switch, volume control and also add some USB ports and external DVD drives. After the mods, I have to give all the metal parts a sandblast and then repaint the whole cab including the plastics and add new decals. On top of that, I want to run hyperspin on the cab so need to set that up with all the emulators.

So that was plan and here is where I'm at. I have stripped the cabs completely and sold the gear that I no longer needed. Everything has been given a hit with the pressure washer as the cabs were filthy. I have also cleaned up some rust that was on the metal base and started repairs on the side plastics as some were cracked. A new set of seat rails have been bought and I have bought a full set of decals and am hoping to start on the mods to the cab this weekend. Mounting the steering wheel will probably be the hardest. I was initial going to mount the base of the G27 behind the dash and extend the shaft, but I found there would be too many issues doing it that way so I will have to cut the dash instead. I will have to also cut the bezel to fit the LCD's but I still have to decide on the best size of the LCD and wether to go for a PC monitor or TV LCD.

As well as working on the cab I have made some progress on the software side of things. I have built new PC's for the cabs as I needed new hardware because I want to run the latest PC Games. Sega Model 2 has been setup, and I have both PC's linked. The G27 has been setup in model 2 and I will then setup the buttons for the individual games once I have finalised the button setup in the dash. I have also started on model 3 and all the driving games in MAME. Hyperspin setup is almost complete, just need to get the PC Games launching from hyperspin and tidy up some settings. Will also need to have a look at getting force feedback setup correctly in as many games as possible but it's getting to the point now on the software side of things where it's going to be easier to do once everything is installed in the cab.

So that where I'm at. Struggling at the moment to get enough time for the project but I will try and post any progress I make and also add some pics. For now I have attached some pics of the cab stripped.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 11:50:22 pm by TIGER8855 »

SegaOutrun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2019, 03:02:05 am
  • Brakes are overrated
Re: Sega Rally Twin - Model 2/MAME converision
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 08:48:41 pm »
looks like it gonna be killer. Keep us posted.

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 02:38:32 am
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Sega Rally Twin - Model 2/MAME converision
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 09:12:34 pm »
Looks gnarly  :afro:

deathrow

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2013, 08:58:41 am
Re: Sega Rally Twin - Model 2/MAME conversion
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 04:32:16 pm »
Cool, great cabs to start the build with.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 04:53:39 pm »
Man that is a lot of crud in the bottom.  It never ceases to amaze me how dirty cabs can get considering how they spend their entire lives indoors.  Good luck man.

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:55:58 pm
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 09:44:46 pm »
I extended the shaft of my G-25. I also mounted the shifter.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

TIGER8855

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 07:13:56 am »
Had some time to work on the project over the weekend and the result is the G27 steering wheel is now mounted. Took a fair while to do it because where the wheel was to be mounted, there was only a thin sheet of metal covering a gap which wasn't strong enough to hold the wheel. This meant I had to cut a piece of ply over the area and secure this to the side supports made of square tube using brackets.

Once this was done, I had to get the wheel to sit exactly where the old one was sitting. This meant getting, the angle and height right as well as getting the wheel to sit at the right distance from the dash. The angle of the wheel was the hard bit as the old arcade wheel was pitched back about 15 degrees but the wheel of the G27 is a lot more than that when the base is sitting level. To make matters worse the part of the unit where the wheel is mounted was angled up so I had to angle the new base of the wheel in the opposite direction. In the end though I was happy with how it all worked out (see pics below). All that's left to do with the wheel is cut a hole in the dash around the base and do the same for the dash support.

I have also made some more progress on the Hyperspin front. PC games and Model 3 are now up and running through the front end and I also managed to find themes and video previews for most games. I also figured out how to get all the emualtors on one wheel which is great as I wasn't sure if it was possible.

Next on the list of jobs will be to mount the G27 gearstick to the housing of the old 4 speed Sega shifter. Then I will have to work on mounting the LCD monitors. This will require cutting of the bezel and then also figuring out whether to mount the speakes on the side of the monitors or above the monitors.

MartinJames

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2021, 10:10:33 am
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 04:34:28 am »
Just FYI - I have gone down this road and using the Daytona FFB setup if by far the best way, second best Fanatec CSR Elite. G27 will break or look bad when your buddy pulls himself out of the seat from teh wheel. FYI

Fursphere

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 04:51:59 pm
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 08:49:59 am »
Just FYI - I have gone down this road and using the Daytona FFB setup if by far the best way, second best Fanatec CSR Elite. G27 will break or look bad when your buddy pulls himself out of the seat from teh wheel. FYI

Then the buddy better have the cash to buy a replacement.

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 09:06:29 am »
This is what I was afraid of happening to my G-25. Lucky enough, when I extended the shaft, it takws the blunt of it.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 10:02:38 am »
If you're starting with a complete Model 2 cab, I think Aganyte's interface is the best way to go even if you have to pay someone to build it for you.
http://www.gamoover.net/tuto/l2m2-interfacer-un-ffb-et-volant-sega-model-12-avec-un-pc-ou-une-playstation-23

My Logitech MOMO is loose from people lifting themselves in and out of the cab with it despite me yelling at them.
I'm amazed that it hasn't broken.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 12:10:35 pm »
You know, I can fake a hid joystick on a atmega chip.  I'm not sure about FF, but it should be possible.  I wonder how much of his rig is just conversion from Logitech's interface to model 2's because depending upon the operating voltage I might be able to design something that would work with off the shelf electronics. 

MartinJames

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2021, 10:10:33 am
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 11:31:23 am »
You know, I can fake a hid joystick on a atmega chip.  I'm not sure about FF, but it should be possible.  I wonder how much of his rig is just conversion from Logitech's interface to model 2's because depending upon the operating voltage I might be able to design something that would work with off the shelf electronics.

Your too clever .... :burgerking:

TIGER8855

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 06:00:32 pm »

Before going down the G27 path I had weighed up all the pros and cons of the options. In the end I went with the G27 as I will probably use the rig more as a racing sim with the latest PC games then anything else.

I also figured with the price of the G27 these days I will probably pick up one as a spare (got mine for $169 new) plus I am keeping the original Sega FFB setup and could still go down that path in the future if I had to.

Having said that though, I will take a look at the latest threads on interfaces that can be used with the Sega FFB to see if they will suit my setup.

ant2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 02:36:51 pm
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2013, 10:57:16 am »
I use the g27 in my cabinet and it works perfectly.
I went down this route due to the same reasons as yourself.
I wanted to play a mix of pc sims and emulation.

Getting real arcade wheels and shifters to work properly is alot of work. I also liked how the g27 has a lot of buttons and paddle shifters.

My cabinet is designed so that you step on the seat to get in. Then slide down
 but i have two side panels where you push yourself up on. Not the wheel.

Youtube.com/aletchet  - if you want to see

TIGER8855

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2013, 10:59:32 pm »
Unfortunately no progress has been made since my last update however I did have a brainwave last night. I was searching eBay for spare parts and was thinking that it's great that a daytona jap machine is virtually identical to a Sega rally when looking for spare parts when I thought hang on, as I'm repainting the whole machine and replacing all the decals, why don't I actually convert the machine to daytona!

I think it's doable as the only differences I'm aware of are the topper is in 2 parts for a Sega rally versus one part on daytona and the view change panel is different but I was already going to change that to the 4 view panel anyway. It also hinges on finding the topper decal but I've seen them come up now and again on eBay. The other problem is I have already purchased all the Sega rally decals so I could loose some cash there.

So what do you guys think? Is it possible and is it worth the extra cash I would have to pump into the project?

SailorSat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:28:00 pm
    • For Amusement Only e.V.
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2013, 02:33:02 am »
The SRally shifter has an additional microswitch for "neutral" position too, but that won't be a "problem" either .)
I do all that stuff even without a Joystick ;)
Soft-15kHz, cabMAME, For Amusement Only e.V.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2013, 11:31:16 am »
Is it possible and is it worth the extra cash I would have to pump into the project?

It's up to you and what your dream is, but personally I think you're better off spending the money on hardware.

TIGER8855

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2013, 12:23:20 am »
Another Minor update. I have now cut the dash so the G27 wheel housing will fit through. Because the cut went right through the original gauges, I have to file down whats left and then I will put an insert over the entire area which will cover all this and the gap around the housing. The insert will be made of thin mdf and then I will either paint or put a decal over it.

I have also completed the mounting of the gearstick. I was orginally going to try and mount this in the housing of the original sega shifter however I didn't want to loose all the buttons and D-pad that are on the G27 shifter. Once that was decided I was going to try and mount the shifter lower than the wheel but the only way to mount it lower was going to be alot of work and I wasn't confident that it would be strong enough. So in the end I made a new mount which is for both the wheel and shifter. I also had to cut into the dash due to the position of the G27 shifter.

I have attached some pics of the end result. The ply mount shown is only a template as I have to make some minor adjustments to it. So hopefully this weekend I will re-cut this and fix it down permanately and then cut the insert around the wheel housing. Next job after that will be to work out what monitor to use and then work on mounting it.

Andypc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 09, 2021, 11:25:45 am
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2013, 03:41:52 pm »
Looking good so far. I did a cab very similar with a G25. The best advice I can give you is to restore and mod the original pedals. It is a hundered times better than trying to mount the G27 pedals. You won't miss tbe clutch pedal as very few games use it.

This is my first one:-

I have posted the details on www.jammaplus.co.uk

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2013, 11:03:45 pm »
I wanted to keep the dash as original as I could. I had a extended shaft made and used a slip ring to keep the wires from getting twisted inside the shaft. I cut down the shifter and mounted it in the stock position. For the buttons that were on the shifter. I rewired them to the vr buttons. Start is, well start and select is above that. I need to find a d-pad or a small joystick to replace the d-pad on the shifter and mount it in the dash. Then I am going to use a Molex connector and make it so I can swap out the 6 speed for a happ 4 speed or a happ hi low shifter. Im using the g25 peddles too.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 11:07:31 pm by Brian74 »

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Yep... I built that!!
Re: Re: Sega Rally Twin - Model 2/MAME conversion
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2013, 11:08:59 pm »
Looking good so far. I did a cab very similar with a G25. The best advice I can give you is to restore and mod the original pedals. It is a hundered times better than trying to mount the G27 pedals. You won't miss tbe clutch pedal as very few games use it.

This is my first one:-

I have posted the details on www.jammaplus.co.uk
Andy, where can I find that green push button and plate at? Are those gauges lit up?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 11:10:31 pm by Brian74 »

TIGER8855

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2014, 06:15:02 am »
Update time. Since my lasy post, I have completed the final touches on the steering and shifter mount. The mount will eventually get painted or I will put vinyl over it.

I have also purchased the monitor which is a 27" IPS LED (Asus MX279H). I went with this as it was the smallest 27" I could find in terms of width plus it had great reviews. The next step which I did today was to cut the existing bezel to the width of the screens viewing area. Took me most of the day to do it but I was happy with the result (see Pics of before and after plus a shot of the cutting and also a shot of the monitor behind the bezel).

I ended up using one of those super tool/multi tools which worked well with the plastic. It still wasn't easy because the cut lines were on pieces that were angled plus because of the plastic melting a bit as you cut, I had to make the cut away from my line markers and then file and sand.

Next steps are, buy glass to go against bezel, mount monitor and then mount speakers.

SailorSat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:28:00 pm
    • For Amusement Only e.V.
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2014, 10:08:56 am »
Not bad, do the speaker still fit that way?
I do all that stuff even without a Joystick ;)
Soft-15kHz, cabMAME, For Amusement Only e.V.

TIGER8855

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2014, 01:44:34 pm »

Not bad, do the speaker still fit that way?
They should. The monitor just fits between the openings for the speakers. I may have to cut them a little but I will be bringing the speaker grill forward (grills are at the back of the opening in the original).

TIGER8855

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2014, 07:30:31 am »
More progress made this week. Made a shelf for the monitor to sit on. Had to cut the base of the monitor stand because it was hitting the base of the steering. Also had to hack into the back of the bezel near the speaker cutouts as they were stopping the monitor from coming all the way forward.

Bought a sheet of perforated metal and cut out new speaker grills which will sit more forward than the originals. These still need to be painted and then fitted permanently using pop rivets from behind. I purchased 2.1 speakers which I will mount inside the existing speaker housings. They fit in there fairly well although I will have to do a little cutting inside and then make some straps to keep them in place.

As usual attached some progress pics. The pics show a temporary piece of perspex in front of the LCD which will eventually be replaced with glass.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 07:33:38 am by TIGER8855 »

TIGER8855

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2014, 08:57:02 am »
Big update. I have finished mounting the pedals which was a bit of mission. Had to create a base which mounts to the machine then make wood supports cut at an angle to create the correct position for the pedals. From there I had to make a base to mount the pedals and then finally I made a frame around the pedals and then a top plate to hide the wiring.

Other things that have been done are:
-Created an insert to go around the steering base
-Patched up cracks/holes in the side plastics
-Purchased new seat runners
-Bought new start & view buttons
-Bought a 2.1 speaker system and 4" speakers

As usual, pics are attached.

TIGER8855

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2014, 08:59:40 am »
Part 2 of Pics from previous post.

hiljak

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2014, 01:27:25 pm
  • be good or be good at it!!
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2014, 02:17:09 pm »
Righteous!!!!! 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2014, 02:40:29 pm »
Where did you get your buttons?

I've been looking for a nice set and other than paying approx. 30-40 bucks for some pulled from a Daytona usa I haven't had much luck. 

TIGER8855

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2014, 05:33:44 pm »
Where did you get your buttons?

I've been looking for a nice set and other than paying approx. 30-40 bucks for some pulled from a Daytona usa I haven't had much luck. 

I got the red, green & blue view buttons from ebay thanks to a link posted by Badmouth previously but there all gone now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEGA-DRIVING-GAME-NEW-OLDS-STOCK-LIGHT-UP-BUTTON-LOT-OF-3-no-yellow-sold-outc37-/161070436585?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25808bd0e9

Happ sells the same buttons but charge a fortune for them. I got the yellow view button from them:

http://na.suzohapp.com/gaming_products/pushbuttons&R=16&S=TS&FILTER_NAME=PUSHBUTTON_PRODUCT&FILTER_VALUE=VLT%20Pushbuttons

And this is the start button purchased from Happ:

http://na.suzohapp.com/all_catalogs/pushbuttons/75V-0004-25

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2014, 05:40:44 pm »
Yeah I've been having the same problem.  It's not so much that they are expensive, but they are disproportionately expensive compared to regular buttons.  I hate getting ripped off just because you need an odd-ball part. 

I've been looking at these guys:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Illuminated-LED-Arcade-Push-Button-with-Lamp-Holder-Microswitch-and-12v-LED-/331063391269?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d14ea7425

Yeah they are round, but my cp is going to be wood with chrome accents, so it might look nice.  I'd just rather have the square ones with the chrome... aka something they don't make.  ;)

ryandoesntstress

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2018, 05:16:26 pm
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2014, 08:58:18 pm »
I'm currently working on something similar with a VR twin cab. What games do you have running that work well in a twin racer set-up?

TIGER8855

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2014, 09:24:08 pm »
I'm currently working on something similar with a VR twin cab. What games do you have running that work well in a twin racer set-up?

I haven't done a lot of networking between the 2 machines yet. The only one's I have tried are TOCA 3 and an F1 game and they both worked no problems. I have also got figured out the networking in Model 2 but haven't tested it for long enough to see if there are any problems.

TIGER8855

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2014, 07:40:31 am »
Did a test fit of everything before I pulled down the cab for paint. Found that my knee was hiting the base of the steering and also the steering clamps so I cut the bottom of the base by about 20mm (Bit at the front that would hang over the front of a desk) and also cut the clamps so that they were in line with the new base height.

After the steering was done, I checked everthing else like seat position and monitor position which all seemed good. Next I pulled everything apart in prep for paint and did a little panel beating on a few bits.

I'm now in the middle of the painting. All the metals parts have been done and I have done a test paint of one of the side plastics. Fairly happy with the outcome. The part where the decal will go could have been better but lucky it will be covered. This part of the plastic is very smooth so for the others i will give it a hit with 400 wet & dry before I paint. I will paint the remaining side plastics and the seat plastics next week as well as painting the dash and monitor bezel.

I've also started work on cleaning all the bolts I will reuse and getting new bolts for the ones that are too rusted. Plus I have to restore all the locks and the levelling feet on the base.

Will be happy when the paint and restore work is all done so I can get to the best bit which is the assembly, wiring and software setup.

TIGER8855

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2014, 04:22:54 am »
All the plastics parts are now painted and I have just started assembly. The steering wheels and pedals have been assembled and I've started on the base. Wheels and levelling feet have been bolted on and I've cut out new ply to go in the base for the PC to sit on.

Will start putting the decals on the plastics next and then I have to buy some fans for the base and couple of I-PACs.

TipsyMcStagger

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 15, 2024, 09:01:07 pm
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2014, 05:30:57 am »
That's a serious amount of work you've done there. Looks great.

TIGER8855

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2015, 06:54:47 pm »
Complete!! Sega Rally converted to Daytona running Model2/Model3/MAME/PC Games via Hyperspin.

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2015, 07:03:18 pm »
Very nicely done  :cheers:

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:06:18 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2015, 07:51:30 pm »
---goshdarn---, that looks awesome.