Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: OutRun 2 aficionados...TP holding a highscore leaderboard and Time Attack contes  (Read 1648 times)

isamu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 08:15:07 pm
  • I'm a llama!
Just a heads up for you OutRun 2 fans, Reaver is running a contest via TeknoParrot,  to see who puts up the highest score in Outrun 2SP DX+, which is the version of the game running on the Sega Lindbergh hardware. He has implemented a new feature that allows you to play the game, and it will then automatically submit your highscores ON THE FLY, to TP's leaderboard! Pretty awesome. Here's my *somewhat* sloppy run of the 15 Continuous course in the 250GTO

So what are you waiting for? Go put some highscores up on that leaderboard baby!!!

https://teknoparrot.com/Highscore/GameSpecific/or2spdlx

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Woot

Nice driving man!!

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 05:31:43 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
Nice! Funnily enough, someone on Twitter just tagged me into an Outrun 2 (OG Xbox version) Time attack challenge. Here's my submitted time: https://twitter.com/MThunderwing/status/1578116371220660231?t=BW-UelCy5YAq4F72mFDAuQ&s=19
I'll have to look into the Teknoparrot one too.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
So hold on a sec, what is the secret to actually getting a good score? I thought it was just finishing as fast as possible. I just had a look at an old run I did in the 15 stage SP courses ages back out of curiosity to see how it stacked up. I managed to finish about 8 seconds faster, but my score is about 133,000 less...
Whut...?

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
LMFAO!!!!!!!! Because that is *EXACTLY* what I thought when I started playing and then looking at some other guys' scores. I was like WTF??? But now that I've started playing some more it appears drafting the rival cars and passing the other ones in a good slipstream helps. The score turns blue when in the slipstream so I assume it's racking up points faster.

MobKiLLer put up an INSANE score of over 1,430,000 in route B. I can't figure out how here did but the video he put up gives some clues. His drafting skills are crazy good. So that's an aspect I need to work on.

"HeyDave" also placed an impressive Time Attack time of 4:29 on route E. I managed a 4:31 so I need to work on beating him but not sure I can top that time lol. Obviously used a tuned version of the car but damn the tuned versions are *SUPER* hard to control sometimes.

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
Yea ive quickly relised that I actually kinda suck at Outrun 2 lol

Maybe i need to switch over to wheel rather than use controller for next submission

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
Man, there's some kind of crazy sorcery going on in that video... The way the guy's drafting everything, it almost makes the video look like it's going too fast. Really bizarre.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
I can confirm that slipstream is the key to higher scores.   The reason traffic isn't randomized in the game is so you can memorize the traffic patterns and draft from one car to the next.   The only time you can't slipstream is during a transition from one traffic group to the next.   Of course knowing what to do and actually doing it are two different things.   I'm moderately successful on the earlier stages but that's about it.

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
Man, there's some kind of crazy sorcery going on in that video... The way the guy's drafting everything, it almost makes the video look like it's going too fast. Really bizarre.

If you think that's wild, you should see some of DEKAID's runs. I thought MobKiLLer was good, but this guy DEKAID is on a WHOLE nother level. To the point where I'm psuedo convinced he might be one of MARUBAKU's team members.

....I mean, what in the ever living ---fudgesicle---?

connormmii

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 16, 2023, 01:08:37 am
I can confirm that slipstream is the key to higher scores.   The reason traffic isn't randomized in the game is so you can memorize the traffic patterns and draft from one car to the next.   The only time you can't slipstream is during a transition from one traffic group to the next.   Of course knowing what to do and actually doing it are two different things.   I'm moderately successful on the earlier stages but that's about it.

Finding out the traffic patterns aren't random are akin to finding out Santa Claus isn't real for me. I'm gutted. It somehow takes the fun out of the game now :(