Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How to determine VALUE?  (Read 2013 times)

Fallen_Veteran

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2014, 10:06:38 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
How to determine VALUE?
« on: April 18, 2013, 10:39:19 pm »
How do I determine the value of a game? I cannot seem to find a "guide" for values on Arcade Games. Ultimately I know something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Being new to this hobby, I am buying/selling/trading to get where I want to be and cannot afford a bad investment. I would ike to keep everything I come across but that isn't going to happen so how do I determine which deal is one I shouldn't pass up? I have a line on a couple of games but I don't know how to value them?

Commando, cab rough on bottom edges, everything solid, working, microswitches sometimes stick for joystick $350 or Trade
Shinobi game, power supply went out, everything supposedly working, cab rough (free with purchase of another game)
Rush 2049, cab is in good shape, everything is there, game has an error code, owner suspects a security chip? Project $250
San Francisco Rush, missing screen and wheel. Project $125
World Class Bowling solid condition, game works, owner says game shut off and back on mid play Already made a deal on this one, I pick it up Saturday morning

Thanks!

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
Re: How to determine VALUE?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 12:41:34 am »
The easiest way to try to value something is simply look for going prices on things (i.e. via Ebay, Craigslist, etc).  But ultimately, realizable price can vary significantly depending on locale.  And especially for things like arcade games which are fairly costly to ship, localized demand can cause local prices to fluctuate considerably.

If you're looking to this hobby to try to make money of it... well, you're probably going to have to take some risk and engage in trial-and-error.  I'm not sure what your end goal is, though.  Is it:

1) simply to get the games you want to have?
2) Buy and sell and try to make profit?
3) Collect and hope that they will appreciate in value?

For #1, I would just focus on seeking out deals for the games you really want and ignore all else.  Don't worry about "value".  Just worry about what you can afford.

For #2, maybe look for inexpensive restoration projects to start and go from there.  Over time, you'll build up experience to determine which games are deals and which aren't.

And if it's #3, I would say that's a pipe dream.  Arcade games are valuable only insofar as there is demand.  There is currently a wave of 80's/90's nostalgia which has given certain demand for older arcade games.  But in time, that will fade and demand will fall with it.  Plus, electronics are doomed to fail in the long run.

Fallen_Veteran

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2014, 10:06:38 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 09:47:21 am »
The easiest way to try to value something is simply look for going prices on things (i.e. via Ebay, Craigslist, etc).  But ultimately, realizable price can vary significantly depending on locale.  And especially for things like arcade games which are fairly costly to ship, localized demand can cause local prices to fluctuate considerably.

If you're looking to this hobby to try to make money of it... well, you're probably going to have to take some risk and engage in trial-and-error.  I'm not sure what your end goal is, though. 

Not looking to get rich in this endeavor, this is more of a dream to have my own game room and the wife and kids are on board.

Is it:

1) simply to get the games you want to have?

I would love to have a couple of nice dedicated cabs but right now I am looking to build a 2 player MAME, a 4 player MAME and possibly a driving cab MAME (Haven't looked into a shooting MAME yet)

2) Buy and sell and try to make profit?

Not interested in flipping as much as I am interested in making good buys. Maybe I'm not interested in the game per se but it has a solid power supply and monitor and I can pick it up for less than (or equal to the cost of the replacement part I want to cannibalize it for) and possibly sell the PCB etc to recoup some of my money. I am a disabled vet and live on a fixed income so I don't have a lot of disposable income to throw at these projects (not saying that anyone else does either!!) I usually trade and barter in the hobbies I get involved in to keep costs down but in order to be able to barter I have to have something to barter with!

3) Collect and hope that they will appreciate in value?

Bwahahaha!! Oh wait, I'm sorry... I didn't mean to laugh

For #1, I would just focus on seeking out deals for the games you really want and ignore all else.  Don't worry about "value".  Just worry about what you can afford.

For #2, maybe look for inexpensive restoration projects to start and go from there.  Over time, you'll build up experience to determine which games are deals and which aren't.

And if it's #3, I would say that's a pipe dream.  Arcade games are valuable only insofar as there is demand.  There is currently a wave of 80's/90's nostalgia which has given certain demand for older arcade games.  But in time, that will fade and demand will fall with it.  Plus, electronics are doomed to fail in the long run.

I really want to be able to have some nice units and not spend a fortune getting them. I understand that I am going to have expenses, and that eventually I am going to have more invested in these cabs than planned (I used to build classic cars! Believe me, I understand what this hobby is going to do to my wallet!) but if I can piece a cab together and then eventually swap parts out as needed (or wanted). I am under no illusion that this is not going to be a "money pit" but as long as the family (and me too!) are happy then it is money well spent.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 08:11:45 pm »
Value is what you are willing to pay for it. I over paid for a busted ass Galaga cab because I wanted a Galaga cab really bad.  :dunno
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.