Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Coin Door Question  (Read 1077 times)

roknrol

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2023, 05:04:35 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Coin Door Question
« on: May 02, 2013, 07:01:10 pm »
When it comes to coin doors, I think I'm confusing myself. Are coin doors typically sold from retail vendors as "complete" -- meaning coin mechanicals/acceptors are included? Or are they typically just the door, reject plunger, and mechanical holders?

I'm looking at something like a Wells-Gardner 2-player single door from TwistedQuarter.com (CD-PB). Would it come complete and ready to hook up? Or would I need to buy additional mechanicals to wire it to, say, a KeyWiz or iPac?

Sorry for the noob question, but I'm just trying to determine the true cost of new vs. restoring something used.

Thenasty

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:52:08 pm
    • Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical monitor setup.
Re: Coin Door Question
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 08:08:05 am »
Coin doors usually don't come with the ACCEPTORS (different out there, mechanical/electronic).

My recommendation to you would be the mechanical one.

Get yourself a coin door then get the type of ACCEPTOR you want to used (token or coin size type etc..)

And then, you need to interface this to an Encoder such as  Keywiz, Ipac etc....

Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical setup.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=26696.0

Free VGA Breakout Cable
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=38228.0

Ultimate All in One Coin Mech write up (Make your own)
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=19200.0

roknrol

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 01:01:51 pm »
OK, and I think that's where I was getting confused in the nomenclature when reading through the wiki.

Coin mechs = the plastic "push to reject" part
Coin acceptor = the metal chute on the inside of the door to which you attach the microswitch leads

So if a vendor describes a door as "Fitted with $.25 U.S. Coin Mechs" then it doesn't include the coin acceptor on the inside of the door -- correct?

SithMaster

• Lets see how happy you are when you need to use a lawn mower and it keeps turning off when you want to cut up zombies.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 12, 2014, 03:52:59 pm
  • The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 02:11:32 pm »
I'd assume the mechs to be included with the door if its advertised as being "fitted with".

Coin mech should be this part.
Back in MY day we lived on the moon and we had to build a rocket ship from scratch to get to the Earth before we suffocated.

roknrol

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 11:48:46 am »
Thanks all. Checked with the vendor, and at least in this case, everything should be included -- along with bulbs and bulb holders.