Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Saw Horse clamp  (Read 7304 times)

EssexMame

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:07:15 am
  • Mame Weekender
Saw Horse clamp
« on: April 05, 2013, 07:28:56 am »
How do I clamp wood to a saw horse? To a workbench=easy, simply clamp onto the wooden top but the saw horse doesn't have anywhere to clamp too.

Its a Stanley junior pair, cheap but seemed decent enough but do more expensive ones make clamping possible?

http://reviews.homebase.co.uk/1494-en_gb/269442/reviews.htm

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
Saw Horse clamp
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 08:06:51 am »
You can usually just clamp to the top of a regular sawhorse but the ones you have are a little different.
  I would say maybe best would be to put a piece of wood on top of the saw horses to give it kind of a tale top and then clamp to that.

zvar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 08, 2019, 11:39:56 pm
  • One of these days I'll think of somthing cute.
Re: Saw Horse clamp
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 06:16:32 pm »
I use the same sawhorses and I just clamp under the yellow bar between the legs.  It flexes the plastic a bit but never hurt it.
When that doesn't work for whatever reason, I simply put a sheet of plywood to make a table and clamp to the edges of that.  It also has the added benefit of giving the structure a bit more stability.

-Steven

RyoriNoTetsujin

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 03:55:45 pm
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 10:24:41 pm »
I have those same sawhorses as well. They were the cheapest available, and it shows.

I'd say be very, very careful trying to clamp anything to them (or even to another sheet on top of them, as has already been mentioned.)  I've noticed with heavier pieces of wood (and heavier tools) that those sawhorses will have actually have some movement/flex to them.  Also, be sure you're on a stable, flat ground surface. 

The last thing you need is your table shifting on you when you've got both hands on a router or circ saw rolling at full speed...  :o

Seriously: be super careful, and/or get sturdier horses when you can.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 12:52:14 pm »
I found the best, cheap saw horses for my needs are those folding steel ones like this. I found a pair of these at Menards for $12 each. Normal price (at least in the US) is usually around $20 each. It takes some easy modification to be able to clamp with them.

By themselves, they are ok, but the nice thing is they usually have mounting holes for a piece of lumber on the top. (If not you can drill holes in the top). What I did was screw in a standard  2 X 4 piece of lumber to the top of the saw horse. Then, on top of the 2 X 4, I screwed in a piece of 1 X 8 lumber. In the end, I had a sturdy set of foldable saw horses. My modifications raised the height 3 inches, much more comfortable, and I had a 2 inch lip around the top of the sawhorses for clamping. And all for cheaper than a generic plastic set.  :cheers: