Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Road Redemption - Road Rash style game on kickstarter  (Read 4473 times)

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
Road Redemption - Road Rash style game on kickstarter
« on: April 15, 2013, 10:28:37 am »
I've always been iffy about playing motorcycle games on the driving cab, but I loved Road Rash for Sega CD back in the day.
Hopefully there will be a way to add your own music to this.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/darkseasgames/road-redemption?ref=category

Road Redemption takes the motorcycle combat-racing gameplay, pioneered by the Road Rash series, to the next level. 

Road Redemption brings state-of-the-industry combat controls, insane crashes, destructible environments, AI, ragdoll physics, and online multiplayer to the classic formula.

The Road Redemption team has been hard at work since early 2012, though preliminary design work started as far back as 2009. 

Road Redemption is the experience that we've been dying to play for over a decade. We need your help to make it the best experience possible.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
Re: Road Redemption - Road Rash style game on kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 10:32:14 am »
Holy crap, just realized their goal is $160,000!
Bit much compared to 90's arcade racer.

Fursphere

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:04:15 pm
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 12:00:02 pm »
I've always been curious about what it *really* costs to build a game like this.  And it looks like they've got a working demo going already...   so... is it already done and they're doing a cash grab?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 01:57:34 pm »
I would imagine it has a lot to do with if you are starting from scratch and how much outsourcing you require. 

90's Arcade Racer is running on the pre-built Unity engine using the pre-built car physics plugin.  So there probably isn't a lot of programming involved, just asset design.  The guy working on it is obviously pretty good at 3d modeling and level design... so the work he passes off to others (who he has to pay of course) is almost non-existent.    This is the SMART way to do a video game... use as many pre-existing tools as possible and do as much in-house work as possible.  Of course you need time to do it this way.  Either the game will take forever to do, or you'll essentially have to pay the people working on it a full salary so they can dedicate all of their time on the game and not on a "day job". 

The 9AR guy didn't do this, he asked for help getting the game published, but the game was already done.

These guys want you to pay for their salary and also publish the game.  This is why I don't like kickstarter btw.  It's one thing to help somebody raise the funds to make something, but to pay them a salary as well.... isn't that what the sales of the product are supposed to do?

Also it doesn't look very good.  This lone sentence killed any interest in the project for me:

"Road Redemption features a complex and rewarding combat system designed, from the ground up, to offer a great experience on mouse and keyboard."

If you are trying to make a racing game, or any action game really, that has controls based around the mouse and keyboard, you obviously don't know anything about video games or what makes them fun.  There is a reason I still hang around here after all of these years and why I helped SirP with the controls.dat project for many of them.  The interface is the single most important part of a game.

While the mouse can make a decent gaming controller, the keyboard makes  a horrible one.  It's digital, it has speed and ghosting issues, it's poorly laid out, and it was never designed for games in mind.  This is why FPS blew up as soon as they started appearing on consoles, because you finally had a controller that was simple, ergonomic and efficient.

An I know some fps nuts are going to chime in about how a mouse/keyboard is superior or better.  They'd be wrong on that, but they can rant about it.  Like many things, the keyboard mouse combo was made out of necessity and nothing more.  In pc gaming's infancy you just didn't have viable gaming controllers.  The game port on allowed for a maximum of 4 buttons and anything other than that required convoluted drivers that may or may not work with your game and a rather expensive controller.  So if you made a pc game, it needed to work with the mouse and keyboard simply because pc users probably weren't going to have anything else.  Today though the fact that a 360 controller "just works" on the pc has changed all of that and it is evident by the fact that nearly every AAA pc gaming title today has gamepad support. 

They say that gamepads will be supported as well, but the fact that they mention so boldly that it's based around the mouse/keyboard first is a big warning sign to me that they are the dreaded "pc gamer" instead of just gamers, which are a bit more flexible in their philosophy.   

Sorry to rant, but when a group doesn't get it, it ticks me off a little. 

Sorry, sorry, I went a little off topic there. 

But to answer your question, it think they are a little wasteful on their spending.  All of the vehicles and terrain seem really simple and generic and since Unity is more of a scripting engine than anything else, their team seems really bloated for what they are trying to do.  I mean I get it, you and all your buddies want to make a video game, but perhaps you don't need all of your buddies on the payroll.  ;)

Fursphere

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:04:15 pm
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 02:57:17 pm »
/fps nut that uses a keyboard and mouse

I haven't been able to play an FPS at the speed and accuracy of a mouse (the keyboard part can really almost be anything...) vs. a console "gamepad"

Gamepads work fine, but are simply not as fast and accurate for me. 

My thoughts on the gamepad popularity was it was always more appealing to the console crowd - meaning you can sit or stand ANYWHERE and use a gamepad.  And keyboard / mouse combo requires a bit more setup.  Its just not user friendly.  This basically supports your interface theory about "making it easy to use for everyone".

/back on topic

I didn't see the mouse/keyboard support line int he kickstarter.  So another driving game without wheel support.  Are we that much a minority? 

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 02:47:46 pm »
Necro-Bump!  :bump

This got made.  I installed and played it this morning.
It's friggin' fun! 

It's $9.99 during the Steam summer sale.
There's also a $5 of $30 paypal coupon out there.  (has to be added to your paypal account before buying).

codeena

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2023, 06:23:54 pm
  • This site is cool
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 10:43:12 am »
Hey Badmouth,

I was hoping you could answer some inquiries I have regarding the controls (would love to add this game to my motorcycle cab). Does the game have mappable analog and digital controls? I was hoping to use the y-axis up and a button or keystroke for brake. In addition, I only have three other buttons on my control panel--are there more than 3 non-steering/accel/brake buttons you need for the gameplay? Also, besides leaning left and right (and possibly accel/brake) are they're any other analog controls, like leaning forward?

Thanks in advance!

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 02:24:19 pm »
Hey Badmouth,

I was hoping you could answer some inquiries I have regarding the controls (would love to add this game to my motorcycle cab). Does the game have mappable analog and digital controls? I was hoping to use the y-axis up and a button or keystroke for brake. In addition, I only have three other buttons on my control panel--are there more than 3 non-steering/accel/brake buttons you need for the gameplay? Also, besides leaning left and right (and possibly accel/brake) are they're any other analog controls, like leaning forward?

Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately I don't think it will work well.
Keys are remappable, but the controller buttons aren't.
I just tried to play using both simultaneously, but a press on the second device brings up a player 2.  (like player 1 is using the keyboard and player 2 is using the controller)

Like most modern games, they used about every button on the controller.  :-\
Every direction of the D-pad is used to select weapons, there are separate buttons for attack left, attack right, kick, grab, and jet booster pack.

This is one best played with an xbox pad.

codeena

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2023, 06:23:54 pm
  • This site is cool
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 09:12:43 pm »
Thanks for your reply Badmouth!